Chapter 1

As If It's Your Last
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Looking into the full sized mirror in my University dorm room, I found myself heaving out a heavy sigh. I had literally just moved in three months ago and already I was packing up to move back home.

Why, you might ask?

Well a lot of factors lead to this scenario.

Firstly, I had no idea what I had wanted to do with my life when I graduated High School so when my best friend Sohyun convinced me to join in her chosen major, Business Management, I had thought it had been a good idea at the time. Turns out it wasn’t a good idea at all and if I ever had to sit through another lecture on Joint Partnership Businesses, it would still be too soon.

So when I mentioned my thoughts on dropping out to my Appa a few weeks ago, he was all too happy for me to come back home.

Usually my Appa was all about sticking to commitments and seeing things through to the end but right now, I’m sure all he wanted was someone else living in our family home who he could have a normal conversation with without the other party bursting into tears.

My Umma was going through the motions of grief at the moment. She spent most of her time at her best friend’s house lately and when she wasn’t there, she was hold up in her bedroom, weeping over her best friend’s daughter.

Kim Sungah had been the Queen Bee in High School. She had been Prom Queen and Valedictorian. We had known each other since the day I was born and had been enemies ever since. As popular as she was throughout our school years, she had never missed one day of it to find something to criticize me about. No matter if it was my hair, my clothes or the friends that I made. She would always find a way to put me down about it, eventually taking those friends away and claiming them as her own.

Sungah’s Umma had fallen pregnant with her at the age of nineteen. Her Appa turned his back on Sungah’s Umma the second he found out about the pregnancy. Since that day Sungah was raised solely by her Umma, with help from her Umma’s oldest and best friend. Aka, my Umma.

My Umma had been in the delivery room when Sungah was born and had been heavily involved in Sungah’s life ever since. That is until she was found in her bedroom the night after graduation, dead.

It was a shock to everyone, including me. The perfect Kim Sungah had committed suicide.

The autopsy revealed she had taken an overdose. Nobody could think of a reason for why she had done it.

All I knew was that Kim Sungah was no longer of this world and it had literally crushed her Umma as well as my own from the results.

Hearing a knock on my Dorm Room door, I navigated my way around all my boxed possessions until I managed to reach out and pull the door open.

“Appa!” I sang, happy to see the one person in my life who had always been on my side. Not that I was bitter towards my Umma or anything.

“Rara!” Appa sang back, using my pet name instead of my given name.

Park Yoora.

“I’ve missed you so much.” He grinned as his eyes crinkled in the corners.

Something peculiar about my Appa was his eyes. His iris' were an emerald green despite him being full Korean. Even he had no idea how he had come to have green eyes compared to most of the population of Korea. They had become part of his charm though.

Nudging his way into the jam-packed room. He enveloped me into a tight hug. I hadn’t seen my Appa since the day he had brought me here three whole months ago. I had promised to Skype with him every so often but Appa had never really got the hang of how to actually use the App.

“It’s been way too long since I last saw my little girl.” Appa said. I had to nod my head in agreement.

Looking over my Appa’s shoulder, I happened to notice something missing.

“Where’s Umma?” I asked, taking a step back from Appa, only to nearly take a tumble over a cardboard box that contained all of the books I couldn’t bring myself to part with when I left home.

My Appa reached out and managed to steady me before I fell back onto my arse.

“Careful.” He sighed, as if he hadn’t saved me from falling thousands of times before.

He called me clumsy, I called it spaciously impaired.

“Your Umma is busy. Mrs Kim decided it’s time to clean out Sungah’s bedroom today. Your Umma offered to help her out.” Appa explained. I shadow appeared over his eyes. The same shadow he had worn the day he brought me here after arguing with my Umma the night before.

Our High School planned a vigil to be held for Sungah, in memory of her; my Umma wanted to help prepare for that rather than send her own daughter off to College. Appa hadn’t agreed on Umma's list of priorities but she did as she wished in the end.

“Figures.” I couldn’t help but mumble.

Umma and I had had no contact with one another since the day of Sungah’s funeral.

She thought I was out of li

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter