CH. XVII

IX Lamia
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

MINA'S POV

"First things first, I just want you to know that I have nothing but pure intentions," said Daniel as he raised his hands in front of his chest.

"How the hell do you know my name?!" repeated Jihyo, more aggressively this time. 

"Please, calm down. I'm no--" before Daniel could finish his words, Jihyo lost control and pushed Daniel hard resulting him to fly away a few inches before hitting the concrete floor. Jihyo ran and kneed him down as she had her right hand clenching Daniel's jacket and her left fist clenched into a ball, ready to punch him.

"I ASKED YOU A QUESTION!" Jihyo yelled. 

At this point, the loud commotion made it all the way back inside the house because the rest of the girls came rushing outside.

"Jihyo what the hell?" shouted Chaeyoung in shock.

A few seconds after, Eun Jung came out and pushed through the girls. As soon as her eyes shifted to Daniel who was helplessly on the floor, she fell down on her knees, "No!!!! Please don't hurt my son!!!" she wept. She was shaking in fear, absolutely terrified of the scene.

I quickly ran to her and kneeled down beside her to wrap my arms around her. 

"MOM! GO BACK INSIDE!" yelled Daniel, as he was struggling to breathe from Jihyo's knee on his chest. He shifted his eyes back to Jihyo as Eun Jung wept and kept saying, "Please don't hurt my baby boy"

"Jihyo, get off of him," said Tzuyu firmly, standing just a few inches away from Jihyo and Daniel. "He's not doing anything"

"Not yet he isn't," said Jihyo, not breaking her glare from Daniel. "Don't be fooled by him. Werewolves have just the same motive as the Covina Malum. I'm not losing my sister again" 

"If he wanted to hurt me, he would've done it already Jihyo!" I yelled. "Please, don't do this," I said as a tear escaped my eye. 

My begging combined with Eun Jung's weeping, fortunately, made Jihyo loosen her grip from my statement. She slowly got up, away from Daniel, her gaze still was locked on him.

"My boy," Eun Jung said with tears as she ran towards Daniel and helped him up. She clung onto him as they stood opposite us. 

"I'm going to ask you once again," said Jihyo calmly but tauntingly. "How do you know my name?"

"From my father," he replied right away. 

"How does your father know who I am?" 

"Because he grew up listening to stories about you. Stories passed down to us through our pack," 

"So you are a werewolf," I said, looking at him in disbelief. "But... how? You never did anything to hurt me"

"I'm sorry Mina," he said apologetically. "If you don't mind, I would prefer we talk about this inside the house. I promise I won't try anything stupid. Trust me, I wouldn't even if I could."

We all looked Jihyo to wait for her decision. She continued to glare at Daniel for a few seconds before she finally agreed to go inside. They went in first, then we followed. Daniel made his mom go to her bedroom since he didn't want to subject her to this interrogation. Once we finally settled into the couches, with Daniel sitting across from us, we began. 

"All you're suspicions are right," said Daniel. "My father and I are werewolves. My mother is a human. Our pack is descended from Wonshik. The first man our great father turned to start the very first werewolf bloodline,"

"And by great father you mean, the original werewolf?" asked Jeongyeon.

"Yes," replied Daniel. "Our kind has numerous packs all around the country. Thousands. And more from all around the world. Our great father chose worthy human men to start the different bloodlines for werewolves. They automatically became the Alpha. And they were to rule their packs with a chosen mate. The great father chose human women to be each of those new Alphas' mate. They hold the same power as men. Gender doesn't matter when it comes to taking the position as Alpha. The only rule for the inheritance of the position is, the wolf has to be the first-born of the then-current Alpha male and female. Our pack is essentially the strongest and elite compared to every other pack in the entire globe because of Wonshik being the first human to turn into a werewolf. As well as, his close brotherhood with our great father. For generations, we were taught about the 'Pagoeja' (Destroyer)"

"How dare you call Luna that!" said Tzuyu angrily who took a step forward, Jihyo quickly raised her hand to stop her. Tzuyu immediately calmed down and went back to her position against the wall. 

"Am I wrong to say that?" Daniel snapped back.

"Don't push it," said Jihyo tauntingly.

"Well, that was what my father was raised to believe in," said Daniel with a firm voice. "It is what all werewolves are raised to believe in."

"So it is true that werewolves want to kill Luna," stated Chaeyoung 

"That is the main objective, yes" replied Daniel. "In our pack, everyone's mission is to find her and bring her to our domain where then our Alpha is tasked to kill her. It's been subjected to our kind that once she's killed, our curse will be set free," 

"What curse?" asked Nayeon 

"Our kind is separated into two types. The pure-bloods and the half-bloods. When our great father turned specific men and women all around the world, starting with South Korea, to start the bloodline with their own packs, he ordered for each of them to bear at least 6 children, some had more. Only the first-born from each of the pack was to be married to another pure-blooded werewolf from the other packs. The rest were allowed to choose human mates. It was said that our great father encouraged it so that our bloodline could spread out more. So, to this date, only the werewolves of the Alpha family are pure-bloods. Every other werewolf that exists today are half-bloods. Pure-bloods can control their transformation and change by will without exterior elements needed to do so. While half-bloods can only turn during a full moon, but even then they still need to acquire the moonstone to have a successful transformation,"

"Moonstone?" asked Momo

"It's this stone created during the first years of our great father's reign. It was said before the war between werewolves and the vampires and witches broke out, we all lived in harmony. Meaning, we all helped each other to grow each of our bloodlines. Like I said, only the pure-blooded werewolves are able to shapeshift whenever they need to. However, half-blooded werewolves can only be able to shapeshift during a full moon but they need to acquire the moonstone to get through it without the fear of dying. It was said numerous moonstones were created and were enchanted by the First Witch and contained the blood of the First Vampire. One moonstone was given to each of the packs as a gift. A ritual would be performed during the full moon when half-bloods are to turn. It was said that this ritual would allow half-bloods to turn by will after that, just like pure-bloods. The First Witch's enchantment allowed the half-bloods to acquire more magic in order to shapeshift by will for a prolonged time. Half-bloods will be able to turn whenever they want until the next full moon, where the ritual is to be repeated. The First Vampire's blood allowed half-bloods to survive the transformation for each full moon. Since half-bloods acquire human DNA, their bones aren't as strong to handle the transformation. So with the First Vampire's blood, it gave half-bloods stronger bones and were able to shape-shift into a wolf with no pain and acquire no injuries when they transform back into a human. They will have the same advantages as pure-bloods. But then when your friend was born, nature was disrupted. The moonstones no longer worked. And since only the Alpha family are pure-bloods, to this day only they are able to live out their true power that nature intended,"

"So you're saying, when Luna was born, those moonstones just stopped working instantly?" asked Sana

"That was what they said, yes," replied Daniel. "It was said that when she was born, she harnessed forbidden magic from our great father and from the moonstone to give her werewolf powers. That deprived all the half-bloods from performing the ritual during each full moon. The ritual that allowed half-bloods to transform into a wolf whenever they want.  Instead they all have to endure an excruciating transformation during each full moon. And when a half-blood shape-shifts into a wolf without the moonstone, they're not exactly conscious once they turn into a wolf. Meaning, they're human thinking is not present. They're usually savages, cannot be controlled. That's why all half-blood family lock themselves in a cage or a secure area in the woods to prevent from hurting humans when a full moon arrives. Our kind wants nothing more but to kill your friend to resume the balance of nature that once existed, and free all of us half-blood's from the curse," he ended

"So you're saying that procreating with humans is not forbidden in your kind?" asked Jeongyeon 

"It is not," he replied. "Like I said, our great father encouraged it to spread out the bloodline. However, he said that before the balance of nature was broken and now it's too late. This is because even if a half-blood procreates with a pure-blood, they will still have human DNA and so bearing the curse. Each full moon, all half-bloods have to endure the horrendous transformation and when morning arrives... a few don't survive,"

"So even if you forbid procreating with humans now, it wouldn't matter anyway?" asked Chaeyoung.

"No, it won't. As long as someone in a werewolf's ancestry was human, they are subjected to the curse," he replied. "And besides, we can't choose who we fall in love with and choose as mate. However, there is an exception of that for the Alphas since they're descended from only pure-blooded werewolves. They're forbidden from falling in love with a human and choosing them as mate. Our kind does not shy away from humans. In fact, most werewolf packs live among humans. But with Alphas, most of their life they're strictly kept within the pack, with very rare human interaction. Most of the time, they're arranged to be married to another pure-blood, to keep the Alpha blood strong and as pure as possible,,"

"And has that been successful?" I asked

"It has... until now," he said pursing his lips. "My father was an Alpha,"

"But didn't you say your mother is human?" asked Dahyun

"Exactly," he replied. "They met when they were both 15, before my father officially transformed into a werewolf for the first time. She helped him emotionally through his preparation to take the position as Alpha. However, at age 20, he was arranged to be married and do his duty with his mate, to bear the pack an heir or an heiress, as well as bear at least 3 more children to increase the rate of pure-bloods in our pack," 

"But he refused," I said, stating the obvious

"Yeah... He ran away with my mother. That automatically meant, he was banished from the pack and he ultimately broke the Alpha bloodline,"

"So you're the heir," stated Sana

"That's right," he replied. "But I'm the very first half-blood Alpha. In our kind, I'm not accepted. I've never met other werewolves. I've had a brief encounter with some members from my pack but it wasn't a good one. The only reason I know so much about our kind is from my father. He never made me forget where I came from,"

"Now care to explain how your father knew my name," said Jihyo in a statement way, she wasn't asking

"He said that all children in every pack are taught about the 'Pagoeja' (Destroyer)," he said hesitantly, eyeing the rest of the girls' expressions. "Luna," he then corrected himself. "Every werewolf knows what she looks like because a portrait of her was drawn from thousands of years ago by Wonshik. My father said that every single pack has the same portrait of her. Her name and face were carved to every werewolf's brain, as well as your name," he said, looking at Jihyo. "You were known as her closest confidant. They don't have a portrait of you but you were known to be the closest person to her, which made our kind assume you were her sister. Adopted sister, at least. So when you mentioned Mina being your sister earlier, I knew it was you"

"So in order to kill her, you had to kill me too," stated Jihyo calmly 

"That is the order," said Daniel hesitantly. I could tell he was afraid of Jihyo after what happened earlier. 

"Then explain me this," said Jihyo seriously. "You said that the reason why your kind wants to kill Luna is so that your curse on the half-bloods will go away. Then tell me why you're all still on that when Luna already died." 

Daniel's eyebrows furrowed. Confused by her statement. Then a few seconds pass and his eyes went agape. 

"That explains it," he said as he looked at me with astonishment.

"Explains what?" I asked 

"Why you didn't seem to know who you are. Why you only had the face of Luna but nothing else that matches up to her description of being a tribrid," he replied. "That's why Dad couldn't go through with it." 

"Go through with what?" I asked again 

"Like I said before when Dad chose to run away with Mom, he was banished from the pack. An Alpha's position is not replaceable but it's not entirely unknown to be done. Dad said they were taught about the very few packs that lost their Alphas. In all of those cases, the Alpha died young, leaving the pack leaderless. So considering they died young, an heir or heiress is not born. This caused the second-born of the Alpha family to take the position. However, since the death of their Alpha ultimately meant their line of Alphas was ultimately broken permanently, their pack is deemed weak and shunned by our kind.  Sometimes those werewolves from those Alpha-less packs join other packs. But since our pack is known to be the most elite and senior of our kind because we were the first pack ever created, denoting the Alpha position to the second-born of the Alpha family was the only option. I'm not sure if our pack is shunned from our kind, but I know that they're still going strong. All werewolves have to go through strict training until their first transformation, a right of passage sort of thing. First-borns of the Alpha family are given a specific, challenging training from the elders and the Alpha him or herself to make them worthy of the position. Dad's younger brother wasn't given the same training but there wasn't any other choice. However, when I was born Dad wanted to retake it and join the pack once again... for me. He didn't want to deprive me of being able to experience the sense of belonging in a pack. So he thought of a way to get back in. And the only way he knew how was to achieve the mission of kill

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter