5. The Hwang Family

Across The Universe
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The fanfare for the arrival of her brother was a feast that Miyoung would have loved if she was not aware of its implications. Her brother was coming home to lead Miyoung’s hand to her new husband. A husband she never seen the face before.

It was the first time her brother Liu was back to Rosegarden after getting married to her wife, Lady Sundeok, of House Lee, the Master Lords of the Riverlands. A province in the east coast, with good resources of water and seafood. Their port makes for a great commercial trade and Miyoung knew her brother chose Lady Sundeok as his wife to index the Riverlands to the Hwang Estate. It was a good decision on her Father’s eyes. But to Miyoung, it was just another political move to make the Hwangs upper the ladder of the powerful families. Especially, because Miyoung did not find Lady Sundeok a pleasant lady to begin with.

The sigil of House Hwang, a blue rose with its thorns and leaves on a silver background, and the sigil of House Lee, two red carp fish swimming against the current on a blue background, were decorating the main entrance of the palace to honour husband and wife.

Miyoung knew House Lee’s words. “Against The Current. Always On The Rise.” Daring words for such an uptight family.

It has been exactly four years since Liu married and moved to the Riverlands, so Miyoung was excited to see her brother one more time. Especially before her own wedding. Maybe she could convince her brother to change their Father’s mind.

Upon seeing her brother walking up the stairs of the palace with her wife’s arm enlaced, Miyoung could not help feeling perplexed about his looks. He sure put on more weight at himself, as he is face was chubby and his jawline was not as sharp as it used to be. Four years ago, Hwang Liu was a very gallant man. Now, he seems to have lost a lot of what made him charming and enchanting.

“It’s been a while, my sister…” Hwang Liu greeted Miyoung when he passed by her. Miyoung bowed to her brother in response.

“I missed you, brother…”

“Quit the lies, little Miyoung.” Her brother teased, making Miyoung smile.

“Greeting, Lady Sundeok…” She bowed to Liu’s wife in sign of respect. “I hope you have had a safe travel.”

“The roads might need some work to do. They are very bumpy for the most part of the East Forest.” Lady Sundeok replied, which did not please Miyoung’s ears but the girl knew she could not say anything or it would sound distasteful.

“Do not worry, Lady Sundeok, we will do what we can to improve them.” Master Hwang quickly intervened. “Now that Miyoung will move to the south, the roads surely will need some adjustments.”

“You will love the life of a newlywed wife, Lady Miyoung.” Lady Sundeok rose the commentary that Miyoung did not really ask. “The festivals and feasts in honour of your name are everything a bride could wish for.”

“I’m not interested in feasts and festivals with a man I did not choose for myself.”

“Come…” Master Hwang invited them in, ignoring his child’s remark. “We should take our seats at the table. The food is set to be served.”

Lady Sundeok and Liu followed Master Hwang inside, resuming the talk about their journey back to the midlands.

“You should make your life easier for yourself, Milady…” Juhyun spoke, knowing that her master wasn’t fond of her brother’s wife. “It is not wise to show Lady Sundeok a bit of your temper.”

“My temper wouldn’t be shown if she had a little more of common sense in her head!” She complained to no one in particular. “My wedding is weeks away with a man I barely know of and she is already complimenting me for feasts and festivals like I was some sort of Gisaeng girl!”

“Lady Miyoung...”

“They don’t understand, Juhyun!” Miyoung spoke, angry for her unavoidable wedding. “It’s not about moving away from home. It’s not about me getting married. I’ve always knew it would happen someday. It’s about me having a choice! My choice!”

“Milady…”

“But it seems only men can have choices of their own.” Miyoung spoke, bitterly. “Sometimes I wish I was born a man…”

“That is a very common wish between women, Milady…” Miyoung looked at her loyal servant.

“What would you do, Juhyun? If you were a man…”

“I would become a scholar…Maybe a Meister of my own.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter