50. Enough

Across The Universe
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Would you give me a second chance?”

Miyoung frowned, not understanding his question. “What do you mean?”

Taeyeon sat on the bed, his face getting closer to her own. “If I had committed a crime…” He started saying, his voice in low tune, almost like in a whisper. “What if I committed a sin? A criminal sin. The biggest of them all...” His eyes traced Miyoung’s face. “Would you give me a second chance?”

Miyoung chuckled, moving her finger down to Taeyeon’s jawline.

“Taeyeon… I would give you a thousand chances…”

When Taeyeon closed the distance between them, letting his lips touch Miyoung’s, she leaned in closer and tugged on his bottom lip, pulling it in. That was one of the few times Miyoung ever recalled Taeyeon being the initiator regarding their skinship. Miyoung could feel her body getting alighted and a sudden fire engulf her entire being. It’s been so long since she was calling for that sort of touch, her entire mind was blacking out. Miyoung wanted him so badly and for so long, that when Taeyeon kissed her neck once again, Miyoung left a low moan, and her hands moved to retrieve Taeyeon’s waistband.

She didn’t mind that they were on a military ship.

She didn’t mind that they were from different birthlines and social class.

All Miyoung wanted was to be with Taeyeon. For the whole night. She wanted to feel him under her skin. She wanted to have him around her for all the eternity of time. She wanted to have him in all the ways a woman could have a man.

When Taeyeon broke up the kiss and stood up from the bed, Miyoung did not understand. A sudden feeling of frustration and anger started to emerge from Miyoung’s own core.

“I’m so-sorry, Lady Miyoung…” Taeyeon tried to speak. “I’m r-really sorry… But uh… I think you should leave…”

“You expect me to leave… after kissing me like that?” She raised up, daring to confront Taeyeon.

“Yes…”

Why? Why was it always like that? Why did that man always refuse her everytime they shared an intense moment?

“I don’t understand…” She complained, frustrated. “I don’t get it! What's wrong with you, Taeyeon?”

“There’s nothing wrong with me…”

“Yes, there is!” Miyoung said, firmly. She stood up from the bed and forcefully turned Taeyeon around, challenging the bastard to face her. “Why can’t you be yourself with me?” She asked, the frustration and anger in her voice just evident. “How come you accept me for a kiss and then reject me altogether all of a sudden? I don’t get it! I’ve just literally said I would give you a thousand chances! I told you that I would stand by you no matter what comes, so what is it that makes you step back every single time?”

Taeyeon looked at Miyoung,not really answering. Miyoung could notice his conflicted feelings.

“There is a mountain you climb every time we kiss, Taeyeon! Every ing time! And it’s ing exhausting to deal with it because it feels like we are distant even though we are a couple! It’s not our birthlines, I know it isn’t! It’s something else! Something that makes you push me away really hard from you!” Taeyeon just lowered his head, feeling gutted and embarrassed. “Just tell me what it is! I deserve to know!”

Taeyeon stood silent.

Miyoung was kinda running out of patience to deal with him like that. And she wasn’t sure if she was able to continue that relationship with Taeyeon stepping back every single time.

Miyoung wanted Taeyeon to be fully committed to her. And this never-ending pull and push game was just getting on her nerves.

“If you don’t like me…” Miyoung started saying, firmly. “If you don’t feel the same way I do, just tell me. Just ing tell me! And we stop this. We’ll go to Rosegarden together without this wayward relationship getting it on the way! I swear I won’t move an inch to kiss you or to talk about us or any of this !”

She got closer to Taeyeon, making her taller figure stand out. “But if you like me… if you feel something for me…Anything...” Miyoung sighed, trying to calm her own feelings down.“Just climb down from your mountain...and accept me! Accept us! If you have feelings for me, get off your ing mountain and kiss me, Taeyeon! With no shame, no guilt… and no lies!”

Miyoung did give him an ultimatum. And she secretly hoped Taeyeon would listen to his feelings and kiss her right then with all his mind and soul. But when his words came out, it pierced through her heart and skin. “I don’t. I don’t feel the same way.” Taeyeon said.

Miyoung’s eyes just lost their sparkle right instantly, and she nodded her head, defeated. Her long black raven hair covered her face.

“Right.” Miyoung closed her eyes, feeling a little humiliated. “Right.”

Miyoung expected a lot of things but Taeyeon’s denial. It led her to feel shameful and botherline idiotic for all those time they spent together. Miyoung couldn’t even look him in the eye.

She gulped and without saying a word, she left the cabin.

~~*~~

The feeling of rejection was so crushing to her that Miyoung purposely avoided Taeyeon at all costs during the trip to Mokpo Island. She didn’t want to look at his face because it would remind her of his rejection every time. Besides, she had just told him she would stop their hidden relationship if he didn’t feel the same way and the best way to fulfill those words was actually not spending time with him.

Even if it hurts her immensely.

“Are you sure you don’t wanna talk to him, Milady?” Juhyun asked her.

“No. Taeyeon and I need some time off from one another.” She said it.

She truly believed that. There was no way she could function being in the same space with Taeyeon and not recall his words of denial.

But as the days went by, Miyoung started to feel miserable. They were all anchored at Mokpo Island and there were some beautiful views and locations, but nothing of that even mattered. Miyoung truly missed Taeyeon. She missed talking to him, she missed his sword classes, she missed riding Ginger with him. There was so much more to what they used to share other than skinship and kisses, Miyoung was starting to feel like her approach of avoiding him was not really the best option of action. Her guts twisted every time she managed to spot Taeyeon on that island on his own, with his head ever looking down. The few times she saw someone giving him some company was Heechul, but even then, it’s been so sparsely she could count on her fingers the amount of times she saw Taeyeon and Heechul spending some time together.

“Just talk to him, Milady.” Juhyun suggested.

“No.”

“Leader Taeyeon has been so sad these past few days. I don’t think I’ve seen him smile once ever since we arrived here.”

“Good.”

“Lady Miyoung...”

“That’s how we're gonna be from now on, Juhyun…”

“You said we should trust only him on this trip.” Juhyun recalled. “But you are not trusting him. You are avoiding him.”

“Because he is so stupid sometimes, it gets on my nerves!”

“But you miss him as well, don’t you?” Miyoung didn’t answer that. “Just talk to him. You can still be friends.”

“No.”

Miyoung truly missed him. But the concept of not really having Taeyeon as close as she possibly could was something Miyoung wasn’t really happy about. She wanted to spend time with him. She wanted to accompany him during that stay. She wanted to go to him and tell him that everything would be okay.

But what would be the point of that? If by the end of the day Taeyeon wouldn’t really feel the same?

Besides, it wasn’t like Taeyeon was truly sad and grieving all the time. There were times where Miyoung couldn’t even find Taeyeon in the middle of that island. There were times where Taeyeon would be gone for the entire day. He would go missing, not telling anyone of the group where he could be staying, and just go back to the hostel by night. Where has he been spending his days? And why has he been so aloof?

Miyoung had been so miserable-like that when Taeyeon rushed to hug her one day, completely soaked in relief and tears, Miyoung didn’t have the nerve to push him away. Taeyeon hugged her as tightly as he possibly could, sinking his face in her long raven hair.

“T-Tae...yeon?”

“He didn’t do it, Miyoung…” He said in her ear. “He didn’t do it. Master Kim… didn’t kill those children…”

Miyoung knew how important that piece of information was to him. She graced his hair and ears, and hugged Taeyeon back. “There, see… I told you you shouldn’t think too much about this…” Miyoung closed her eyes, embracing her arms around Taeyeon, hugging him with just as much force.

~~*~~

Miyoung was listening to what Taeyeon was telling her. He had seen a friend of Officer Kim’s, going by the name of Nam Yong-Su, who had stayed in the Island of the Fallen King long enough to know about the true story of King Jaeyong’s downfall as well as Master Kim’s origins and the rumour of a last descendant of King Jaeyong.

Miyoung herself was glad to know Taeyeon’s sword-fighting master didn’t kill any children, but the idea that a last surviving member of King Jaeyong’s family might still be alive was too fascinating to her. Especially considering how he could overthrow the crown and bring changes to Joseon. Maybe he could make it possible for lowborns and highborns to marry.

But Taeyeon’s lacking of enjoyment for that piece of information made Miyoung surprised, as she kinda expected him to be excited about a new king coming forward.

“You don’t think it’s true?” She asked him, curious to know his answer. “The story about this lost prince?”

“I don’t know. I don’t really care about that.”

“You don’t?”

“Why should I?”

“Well, a new king brings a lot of changes to a nation. It’s the beginning of a new era. If this boy retakes the throne everything could change...”

“For highborns? Sure! However, I really doubt whoever this dude is will bring any changes to bastard born or common people.” He spoke, matter-of-factly. “He's being raised by his own mother, the ing Queen, for God’s Sake! Do you really think he will care about the lives of common and low-born people?” Taeyeon asked her, shaking off his head in denial. “That’s just nonsense! That won’t really affect me whatsoever so there is no need to waste energy minding that stuff.”

Miyoung felt all the hairs of her skin lift up. If she isn’t being too delusional, there were points in that story that somehow fitted Taeyeon’s own story completely. How come a renowned Knight Commander adopts an orphan boy born in a brothel house? Why did he even feel he had the duty to do that in the first place? Adoption of bastard sons is so rare. Most men wouldn’t even dare to raise a child whose filiation and lineage wasn’t of his own. It’s one of the reasons why children often carry their father’s names after all. So the only viable explanation is that Kim Minseok, Taeyeon’s fighting master, knew who he was since the beginning. He probably went to Ironstow in order to look out for him in the first place.

And if the years are correct, Taeyeon being close to 19 years old, makes him a little too close in age with this potential prince of Joseon.

How far is it to actually believe that Taeyeon is King Jaeyong’s last child? If Miyoung isn’t getting any insane, she would dare to say that it makes total sense.

She looked at Taeyeon lying on the bed. His gentle lines, his pale face… his seamless looks… couldn’t that be coming from the very own King Jaeyong? Hell, even their names are similar! That couldn’t be just a coincidence, could it?

“Something wrong?” Taeyeon opened his eyes and looked at Miyoung.

Miyoung stood silent, her mind and heart racing to a million thoughts in her head.

“What if... he isn’t being raised by his mother, the Queen?”

Taeyeon blinked obliviously.

“What if... he’s being raised amongst common and low born people?”

What if the whole point of Taeyeon’s entire education and training had been living with common people so he could learn how to empathize with common folks and be a better king?

“What if he is a really good man with a deep sense of duty and honour?”

Miyoung asked, feeling like she was having an epiphany. Taeyeon scoffed, dismissing it. “That’s just nonsense! A highborn wouldn’t be like that... The moment this boy realizes he is a prince, he will feel entitled and have his head far up on his !”

Miyoung blinked. Her eyes looked away for an instant. No. It’s too coincidental to not be true. And if Taeyeon is the lost prince of Joseon then it means...

“You think it’s true?” Taeyeon asked her, curiously.

Miyoung gulped, still in deep thoughts. Took her a couple of seconds to answer. “Would I be crazy...if I say yes… wholeheartedly?” She could feel her heart racing to higher speeds.

Taeyeon chuckled. “Are you sure that isn't just a wishful dream?”

“What?”

“This lost prince might change things for you and your class. Isn’t that why you’re so keen to believe it? The dream of a new hope?”

“No.” Miyoung answered, collected. “I really believe it’s true.” I actually believe he’s in front of me.

“So you will support the rebellion?” Taeyeon asked, interested.

“The rebellion?”

“Of those family clans from Andong City that Officer Kim mentioned…”

“Oh, I don’t really care for that!” Miyoung said firmly, shaking her head. “I just wanna retake Rosegarden.”

“What if they ask Hwang’s Province for support in their cause? Wouldn’t you support them?”

“I will support you.”

Taeyeon raised his eyes to the lady at her side. “Me?”

“You.” She confirmed. “There’s no one else to support in this case other than you, Taeyeon.” Because you’re the prince of Joseon and heir to the throne.

When Officer Kim Mun-Sae walked inside the room, Miyoung took the opportunity to breathe in and relax, trying not to make it a big fuss. Taeyeon himself wasn’t considering that possibility for some reason and Miyoung couldn’t tell if it was because of Taeyeon’s stark beliefs of his own origin story of being a bastard kid or just him being slow and clueless.

But that cannot be just coincidence.

Miyong always knew there was more to Taeyeon than what he was showing. And this whole scheme of going to Hanyang…. Isn’t that basically him going to the capital city and retaking the throne back to its rightful heir? Isn’t this the only way Kim Minseok would feel free from his shame and guilt and have his soul finally in peace? He slayed the true king of Joseon, 20 years ago, and now almost 20 years later he is sending the true prince back to where he should’ve always been. It was the only thing making sense in her head. But why Taeyeon couldn’t see it?

Miyoung has been so lost in her thoughts she barely realized Officer Kim had actually already finished his talking.

“Do you think he knows about us?” Taeyeon asked her, after the officer left the room completely.

That question almost made her chuckle. Almost. Because it actually reminded her that they weren’t really together. Nor have they been back to their usual relationship. So much so that Taeyeon even dared to go to a ing gisaeng house during all this time while in Mokpo, whereas Miyoung stayed in her room in grief. “Us?” Miyoung looked at Taeyeon, serious enough. “There is no us, Taeyeon. Or did you forget your own words?”

Miyoung scoffed, looking away, standing up from her seat. “You’re unbelievable sometimes! Did you really feel the need to do that?” She asked, angrily towards Taeyeon.

“Do what?” Taeyeon was confused.

“You reject me in my own face and then you go looking for in a gisaeng house?”

“What?”

“Couldn’t you have a little more decency inside of you?”

“Miyoung…”

“Your words were enough, Taeyeon! You really didn’t need to go that far to prove a point…”

“Miyoung...listen, whatever you’re thinking in your head, it didn’t happen!” Taeyeon rose up from his bed.

Miyoung scoffed, shaking her head sideways. “There’s always and gisaeng houses between us, innit?”

“Miyoung, it’s not what you think! Officer Kim made me go to the Gisaeng House! He took me to that place in order to meet Nam Yong-Su, his friend! That’s all!”

Miyoung shook her head once again, her eyes now looking downwards. “It doesn’t matter.” She said, turning her back to leave. “It doesn’t really matter…”

Taeyeon quickly grabbed her hand before she could leave the room.

“Miyoung! Miyoung....please. Don’t think this way about me…”

“What difference does it make, Taeyeon?” She asked, raising her eyes to Taeyeon’s. “Why do you even care what I think or feel about you?” She asked, a tad of anger in her voice. Would you even accept me? Would you even ever kiss me again?

Miyoung dismissed his arm, her eyes shimmering with tears.

“Miyoung…”

Miyoung gulped and shook her head. “I’m fine...” She said, not convincingly. “I’m fine. I uh…. I just need some fresh air…” She sighed, not wanting to spend much time with him inside that room any more. It was already enough.

It was already enough that the boy in front of him is the lost prince of Joseon.

It was already enough that he found his comfort amidst gisaeng girls and instead of her.

It was already enough that he rejected her in just the most cowardly way possible.

~~*~~

When Taeyeon arrived at the hostel later than usual, Miyoung knew something was off. His looks were of someone completely defeated. He had some dirt on his clothes and hands and his entire face and hair were drenched in sweat. He was so pale, he looked more of a ghost than a normal boy.

Taeyeon completely dismissed his friend's worries and rushed to climb the stairs of his own room. He was completely desperate. Only time Miyoung ever recalled Taeyeon being like that was when he thought Master Kim was the one responsible for murdering King Jaeyong’s children.

Did something happen to him? Did he find out something about his master that led him so brokenhearted like that?

Miyoung knocked on the door, wanting to comfort him. Maybe all he needed at that time was a good friend to listen to his struggles. “Taeyeon? Can I go in?”

“No!” He replied.

Miyoung didn’t listen and walked inside the room anyway. She couldn’t leave him all alone like that. Whatever he figured out, he needed some sort of support.

“Why even bother asking if you are not gonna listen to what I say anyway?” He asked angrily.

“Taeyeon…”

“Just leave Miyoung! I don’t wanna see anybody!”

“Taeyeon…”

“I don’t wanna talk to you! I don’t wanna see you! Just ing leave!”

She didn’t. And she could notice Taeyeon was starting to get angry with her. “What are you doing here?”

Miyoung noticed the map of Joseon he had on top of his desk. Did he finally figure it out? Is he now aware of who he really is and why he needs to go to Hanyang?

“You’ve figured it out yourself?” She asked him.

“What?”

“You’ve finally figured it out yourself?”

“What are you talking about?”

Miyoung spent a couple of seconds scanning Taeyeon’s face before answering. How blind that boy could be? Why can’t he connect the dots? “You and the long lost prince of Joseon.”

Taeyeon just shook his head, completely defeated. “Please, no. Not you.”

“Taeyeon…It’s the only thing that makes sense!” Miyoung tried!

“No! It is not!” Taeyeon replied, firmly. “It doesn’t make sense! I’m not this prince! Please, no! Refrain yourself from thinking that, please!”

“Taeyeon! Why is it so hard for you to see it?” Miyoung walked forward, her hands grabbing Taeyeon’s very own. “You are him! You are the lost prince! You are the last son of King Jaeyong!”

Taeyeon shook his head, his state now in complete despair.

“And can’t you see it? That means we can be together!” Miyoung said excitedly.

“What?”

“If you are King Jaeyong’s last son, you are not a lowborn! You are a highborn! You are royalty! And we can marry!” Miyoung recalled! And then all her dreams will be true. She will get Rosegarden back, get her wedding annulled, and marry Taeyeon! She might’ve even been crowned Queen Consort!

“Miyoung! Just, stop!”

“We can be together, Taeyeon! I can marry you!” She spoke up too excitedly.

“No!”

“Yes, we can! You being King Jaeyong’s son, it means you are the true heir of the throne-~”

“I’m not King Jaeyong’s son!” Taeyeon firmly said it. He was completely fed up to hear that for some reason. “I’m not his son, Lady Miyoung!” He spoke so confidently that made Miyoung ponder for a moment if he was indeed right about that.

“You are, Taeyeon!”

“No, I’m not! Look, I know you want this to work, I know you want us to work out in the end; I know you have feelings for me and it would be the best ing outcome ever if I were this ing prince because it meant we could be a real couple, right?” Taeyeon sighed. “We won’t work, Lady Miyoung!” Miyoung lost all the happiness she briefly expressed. “We can’t be together! We can’t be a real couple! For I’m not this prince!”

“Taeyeon…”

“I’m not King Jaeyong’s son!” Miyoung felt her guts twisting when she saw a tear coming down from his eyes. She has never seen him like that. “I’m not his son, Lady Miyoung!” He exhaled, closing his eyes. “I’m not… a son.”

Miyoung frowned, not understanding. Not a son? What that even meant? “What?”

“I’m not a son.” Taeyeon said, lowly, yet audible enough for Miyoung to hear. “I’m not a boy. I am of the same gender as you are…” He revealed it. “I’m a woman, Lady Miyoung...And for that, I cannot be… this long lost prince...”

Miyoung felt like a bubble had burst around her ears. She was left without words to say. The only thing that came out from her lips was “You’re a what?”

“A woman.”

 

Miyoung’s heart just stalled.

A sudden cold air passed through her, giving her goosebumps. What did she even hear? Taeyeon is not a man, but a woman? No, no, that was impossible. That couldn’t be true. Please, no.

“I’m sorry for telling you like this, after all this time…” Taeyeon tried to speak, his eyes still not daring to look at Miyoung. “But I am not a boy...”

A few moments of silence followed before Miyoung could even be able to speak. Her eyes lost all the focus and her mind went blank. What the hell was going on? Why was he telling her those things? Does he really need to go that far?

“I… I have a secret within me… Lady Hwang…”

“A secret? About your birthline?”

“No…I… I’m not what you think I am…”

Was that for real? Wasn’t that a lie of his? A lie just to make her stay away?

“You’re…a woman?” Her shaking voice emerged.

Miyoung closed her eyes, feeling a rush of shame and anger engulf her entirely. So, if Taeyeon was not a boy… then...it meant… it meant… there would never be a chance for them to be a real couple! Miyoung’s lips started trembling and there was a trail of tears on her face.

“I’m sorry, Lady Miyoung.”

When Miyoung stepped back for a second, still shocked, trying to process that information. Taeyeon tried to stop her. “Mi...young...”

“Don’t.” She said coldly, rushing herself to remove Taeyeon’s hands away from her. “Don’t you dare.”

“Miyoung…”

“Are you….even aware...of what you’ve done?”

He didn’t answer it. Miyoung felt her hands trembling and her guts starting to ache. All this time she’s been hoping and dreaming… it was all but a waste of time. It was all but a delusion. And Taeyeon always knew that. He always knew that and he never really...

“How can you lie to me like that? How dare you lie to me like that?” Miyoung’s asked him angrily. Does he even know how that feels?

“I’m sorry.” Taeyeon said once again.

Miyoung scoffed, not believing in her ears. “You’re sorry?”

“So sorry.”

“You gotta be kidding me…” Miyoung tears were unavoidable.

“I’m not… I’m really sorry, Lady Miyoung… I’m not a boy. I’m not this prince. And I’m not… someone you should fall in love with.”

Oh, sure. Now is the time he comes alerting that.

Now.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter