36. On the way to Gwangju

Across The Universe
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Taeyeon was adjusting Ginger’s saddleback when lord Kim Chang-Min approached her inside the stable. His white noble outfit was a little bit dirty with dust and sand from that village.

“Lady Miyoung, Seo Juhyun and Heechul are waiting for you at Hae-Sun’s tavern.” He informed her.

“Treacherous snake.” Taeyeon complained. “Still can’t believe he snitched me out.”

“You’re surprisingly gullible for a bastard child wandering the lands of Joseon, lit’le boy.” He smirked. “Didn’t your mother teach you how to not accept sweets from strangers?”

“No.” Taeyeon answered, calmly, not really in the mood to talk about her mother. “And don’t call me lit’le. I don’t like when people call me lit’le.”

He chuckled. “Well, if it serves you well… He is still under arrest.”

“Is he?”

“Yeah, he never got out of that cell to witness your execution. So, he doesn’t know Shin Yunsuk cancelled your bounty and declared you innocent after the whole ordeal. If anything, he is still waiting for his gold.”

Taeyeon chuckled. “Guess he’ll be forever awaiting for it then.”

“Poor man wouldn’t be in this situation if he wasn’t so desperate for gold like a cheap e.” He said, waving his hand outwards. “Anyway… What is the plan now?” He briefly asked, curiously.

“Going to Gwangju to reach Westport.”

“The original plan?”

Taeyeon smiled. “Yes, the original plan.”

“Why are you heading west?” He frowned, not understanding their destination.

“Lady Miyoung believes that by heading towards a different direction, Shin Yunsuk won’t manage to track her down or stalk her. By going west and boarding a ship towards Riversvale, we can get to Rosegarden without Yunsuk making our lives complicated.”

Chang-Min nodded yet reluctantly. “Will take you months to complete your journey though.”

“Yes, I’m aware. But it’s alright. It’s not like I’m in a hurry.”

“Oh yes, the bastard wanderer who collects friends, admirers and lovers likes to take things slow, doesn’t he? Living the life on the edge, living each day as the last!” He said, a little bit sarcastically.

“I don’t collect lovers! Or admirers...”

“You don’t?”

“No! That’s nonsense! And I don’t intend to live life on the edge!” She said back, firmly, while moving her hands to fasten the bristles tighter at Ginger. “I would gladly accept an easier, challenger-free journey to Hanyang. But there is always something in this country that doesn’t allow me to. Every town that I go to, every village that I step my foot in, something happens! Either are bandits having a beer who have problems with me, either are noble lords harassing me in desert lands! I swear that, if I had a penny for every trouble that comes directly towards me, I would be the richest person in Joseon!”

“You have a mouth of your own, kiddo. For a bastard born, that is almost illegal.”

“So the problem is not me, it’s the establishment... As I’ve always known!” Taeyeon retorted. “Thanks for making my point across!”

Chang-Min smiled. “Well, now that you will accompany Lady Miyoung to her hometown, you will probably get into much more troubles than what you’re expecting. You know, due to...the establishment.” He advised. Taeyeon sighed, knowing he was right. “Things won’t ever be easy or challenger-free for you from now on. That’s why you have to be careful. You have become an enemy of Shin Yunsuk; The more time he has in his hands to convince Joseon of your wrongdoings, the more in danger you will be. So, a little bit of a hurry is not an inappropriate thing to be in.”

“Still...There’s nothing I can do.” She said, shrugging her shoulders. “I vowed to protect Lady Miyoung and take her back to Rosegarden safe and sound. If boarding ship to ship that could take months or even a year is the only option, then, I’ll do it! Without second thoughts!”

“Aren’t you afraid of what Shin Yunsuk might do to you?”

Taeyeon sighed, petting Ginger’s neck softly after finishing setting the horse up and ready. “A little.” She answered, honestly. “But I’m mostly afraid of what he could do to her.”

Chang-Min nodded his head. “You know, for a bastard-born... you have a very deep sense of honour and loyalty.”

“My father was a very honourable man.”

“Oh, really? Who was your father again?”

“Kim Minseok.” She said with no hesitation. “He was from the military and had a deep sense of duty and honour. He taught me everything I know.”

Chang-Min nodded. “I see. Have you ever considered joining the military?”

“No.”

“Why not? You fight well, with military training you could go even higher. As the son of a former military man, the Academy wouldn't turn its back to you. Even with you being a bastard-born. A lot of bastard children find their place under the wings of the Military.”

No way the military would remotely accept Taeyeon under its wings due to her real gender. “I have a mouth of my own, Lord Chang-Min.” Taeyeon repeated his words, making him blink his eyes. “The military is just another branch of the establishment. And any wrong words...I would be a goner. The military spares no one who thinks differently than them. And I think differently than them. So...a military career isn't really an option for me.” She finished up, smiling gently at him.

“I see.” Chang-Min understood where she was coming from. “And what are you looking for at Hanyang?” He asked curiously.

Taeyeon looked at a distant spot. “The truth.” She ended up replying after a second or two. “There are questions in me that can only be answered when I get there. So I guess that’s what I’m looking for.” She sighed.

“Well, good luck, then!” He wished and it really sounded sincere.

“Thank you, Chang-Min.” She said in return. “For everything you did. I don’t think I would be standing here alive right now if not for you. So… Thank you.” She took a little bow at him, thanking for his actions.

He acknowledged it but soon cut his smile short. “I didn’t do it for you, but for Lady Miyoung...” He cleared his throat.

Taeyeon smiled. “Nah, you did it for me.” She teased.

“No, I didn’t!”

“Yes, you did!~”

“No, I didn’t! You pathetic bastard! You’re just lucky that you are a friend of Lady Miyoung’s! I wouldn’t move an inch to save you if you were just a common bastard!”

“Oh, you’re saying I’m not a common bastard then? Are you recognizing me for my worth, Lord Kim Chang-Min?” Taeyeon asked him in a cheeky tone, still teasing him off.

“You have a very annoying tongue, bastard boy!” His face grimaced. “You know, one day, you will pay me for stealing my horse!”

“Lady Miyoung told me you gave her your horse!”

“Yes!”

“And she gave him to me!”

“What?”

“So now Ginger is my horse!”

“What? That’s ridiculous!” He complained, feeling betrayed somehow. “And his name is not Ginger! It’s Angus, The Wanderer!”

Taeyeon scoffed. “That’s a stupid name!”

“No, it’s not!” He said, somehow offended. “It was the name of the imperial horse belonging to Queen Sundeok, the queen who unified our country during the three kingdoms era! But what a bastard boy like you know about the History of our nation, huh!? I bet you don’t even know the name of our King...”

“I do!” Taeyeon said, trying to sound firm in her response. “It’s King Jaeyong!”

“Wrong!” He pointed his finger at her face. “It’s King Junyong! King Jaeyong was his little brother, the former king, who affiliated with the Japanese causing the war and ended up being exiled!”

“Hm...” Taeyeon was not really interested in the lecture. “Serves him right, I guess. Affiliating himself with the Japanese to weaken his own people… that’s just absurd!”

“So remember! His name is Angus, The Wanderer, not Ginger!” Chang-Min cleared back.

Taeyeon just chuckled again. “He prefers Ginger.” She said, pointing her head towards the very own horse.

“No, he doesn’t!”

“Yes, he does.”

“No, he doesn’t!”

“You do, don’t you, Ginger?” Taeyeon shuffled his mane, making the horse puff excitedly. “See?”

Chang-Min looked away, slightly irritated. Taeyeon just giggled for his child-ish behavior. When she mounted Ginger and placed herself properly on top of the animal, the noble lord stood back for a couple of inches.

“I see you learned how to ride it...” He said, surprised.

Taeyeon smiled. “Yes. Had to fall a couple of times but in the end I’ve managed to do it…”

He chuckled, long forgetting any bad or hard feelings he could have towards Taeyeon. “Take care of him, it’s a good horse…”

She smiled. “Aye, you can trust me. Ginger is in good hands.”

“Angus.” He corrected, firmly. “Anyway...Good luck, Kim Taeyeon, and have a safe trip.”

She nodded. “You too, Kim Chang-Min.”

He smiled and stepped back, allowing some space between him and the horse. Giving a final nod to him one last time, Taeyeon straightened her posture and tapped her heels at Ginger’s sides, inducing the animal to start walking.

“Farewell, bastard boy…”

“Farewell… my friend.” Taeyeon cleared, smiling at him and finally going away.

~~*~~

When Taeyeon reached the entrance side of Hae-Sun’s tavern, she managed to recognize all her friends right at the spot. Lady Miyoung had changed her clothes once again, putting her commoner wardrobe instead of the fancy blue noble hanbok she presented herself before to not call so much attention to herself, which Taeyeon thought it was a much better take.

She was between her taller handmaiden, Seohyun, and Heechul, whose hand was holding the reins of a second horse to keep it calm and collected by his side. The second horse also belonged to Kim Chang-Min and his company, but Taeyeon couldn’t recall if one of her friends even bothered to put a name on that horse.

“You guys ready to leave?” She asked them, closer to an invitation than a question really.

“Oh, yes, you can bet we are!” Heechul firmly replied. “This is exactly how we were supposed to leave Stoneguard in the first place! With you among us! Not on your own, without a horse to call yours and telling us to leave you behind!” He complained. Taeyeon looked away, not wanting to confront him. “Next time you come up with a plan like this, I’ll kill you, Kim Taeyeon!”

“Understood.” She nodded her head, understanding Heechul was coming from a good place.

“Then I guess it’s time to finally leave!” Lady Miyoung exhaled, to which Taeyeon shook her head positively.

“Yes!”

Heechul gave Lady Miyoung the reins of the second horse, which made La

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter