15. Who Are You?

Across The Universe
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

When Miyoung opened up her eyes, she found herself inside a room she has never been before. The ceiling had cracks on the surface, revealing its poor state of conservation. The bed wasn’t really like the beds she used to have at her disposal, it was a flat futon mattress on the floor, making Miyoung actually feel pain in her back.

As she tried to move up, she groaned from pain, and placed her palm on her face when a sudden migraine emerged in her head.

“You alright?” She heard the voice nearby and her eyes widened when she saw the two boys up against the door. Heechul stood tall up against the floor, with his arms crossed over his chest and the boy she didn’t know the name was sitting on the floor, with his arm over his knee and his back facing the door of the room. Miyoung noticed on the boy’s silver outfit, especially at the white sleeves of his clothes, some sprinkles of blood.

"Where am I?”

“An inn named Sunny Wind.” The boy answered gently. “It belongs to a young woman called Kim Yongsun. Very nice lady if you’re interested.”

Kim Yongsun? Myoung had never heard of her. Or of that inn. She needed to leave that place and those people and go to the southern gate of the city.

“I need to get outta here.” She said, standing up from the mattress. “I need to go to the southern gate!”

“Can we just talk for a minute?” He asked, standing up from his position.

Miyoung gulped, afraid of that boy whom she had no idea who it was. “I can’t.”

“You can’t? Why not?”

“What if you go and chop my head off?” She asked, doubtful of his intentions.

The boy blinked his eyes obliviously. “Well, if I wanted to chop off your head... I would’ve done it already. You know, while you were asleep?” Miyoung’s chest rose in exasperation. “Or I wouldn’t have fought all those guards to help you.”

“Why did you?” She asked, seriously. “Why did you help me?”

“Because you asked me.”

“You go doing things for people just because they ask you?”

“Sometimes.” He nodded.

“Well, if you want your thank you, then ‘Thank you’. I appreciate what you’ve done for me.” Miyoung said, quickly. “Now, I need to leave and go to the southern gate of this city. There are people waiting for me there.”

“Who are those people waiting for you there?”

“That’s not of your concern! Why you’re so nosy on matters that are not related to you?”

The boy looked at Heechul, who chuckled, shrugging his shoulders.

“Seriously, can’t we sit down for a minute and have a decent conversation?”

“There’s nothing for us to talk about!”

“I’m not gonna stop you.” He said, coming forward. Miyoung stared at him. “You want to leave this city, I understand that, and I won’t really stop you if that’s what you’re afraid of.” She gulped. “I just want to have a talk for a minute with you. Is that okay?”

“No.”

“Why not?”

Miyoung felt her chest rising. “I don’t trust you.”

“I’m not asking you to. I’m asking to sit down, have a cup of tea, if that’s of your liking, and talk to me for a minute.”

Miyoung wasn’t really sure if she should listen to him. She doesn’t have any idea who that man was after all. However, he was skillful enough with his sword to defeat five men of Shin Yunsuk’s Golden Army, what if he decides to draw his blade right then and there and kill her if she keeps saying no?

“Would you leave me alone after our talk?” She asked, raising her eyebrows.

“If that’s your wish, sure I would.”

If she wanted to live and escape that city, then she had to play his game.

Miyoung sighed, nodding her head.

The boy and Heechul moved to go their way downstairs and Miyoung soon followed them suit. The quicker she finished talking with them, quicker she would meet Sooyoung, Yuri and Juhyun on the other side of the gates of Midsummar.

As the three of them sat at an empty table on the corner of the inn, a young lady, wearing white robes, came to their tables bringing 1 mug of beer and 2 mugs of herbal tea. Heechul grabbed his beer, while Miyoung, feeling dry, grabbed one of the mugs of hot tea.

“Thank you, Yongsun.” The boy bowed his head to the lady.

“Not at all.” Yongsun smiled to him and left, going back to the counter.

“You can start if you want to.” He said to Miyoung, clearly trying to ease the mood for her.

Miyoung did not really know where to begin. The boy was skillful enough to defeat five men from Shin Yunsuk’s Golden Army, yet he was so small and slim. He was almost one head shorter than Heechul, with a face so pale and gentle, that no one in the lands of Joseon would ever think he look intimidating. He carried a unique type of sword on his back and his clothes were of color, a dark silver one. Colors were the symbol of highborns. Yet if he was a highborn, why would he even care to save the life of a servant he had no idea who it was?

So the only question that came to Miyoung’s mind was: “Who are you?”

“My name is Taeyeon.” He gently replied. “Nice to meet you, Mi Seohyun.” He bowed his head to her.

“Are you one of Master Kang Baek-Do’s men?”

“The Lord Master of Kangwon’s Province?”

“Yeah.”

“Nope.” He answered, smiling. “I’m Taeyeon. Just Taeyeon.”

“Just Taeyeon?” She blinked, confused.

Taeyeon smiled. “This is my best friend, Heechul.” He introduced his taller friend. “He is from Kangwon’s Province though.”

“Are you?”

“From a very small village called Branchpoke, in the southeast outskirts of the estate.”

“You’re not here accompanying Kang Baek-Do?” She asked them all.

“Nope.” They answered in unison.

“Then what are you doing here?” She asked, curious. Who were those people really?

“We are travellers coming down from the south.” Heechul answered. Travellers? Miyoung had never seen a traveller before. She used to read stories about travellers and wanderers who crossed the lands of Joseon on the books her Father had on his shelves. But she has never met a traveller in person before.

“Travellers?” Her heart beat a little anxious. “I used to read stories about travellers!” She said, smiling.

“You did?” Taeyeon asked, raising his brows.

“Wanderers who cross all the terrains of our land in search for something bigger than themselves!” She let it out a little bit excited. “I’ve dreamed with those stories!” She lowered her head. “But a wanderer life was never meant to be for me.”

“Well, if you run away from here…” Taeyeon started saying. “Your wanderer life is just around the corner waiting to begin.”

Miyoung blinked, staring at him. She didn’t really think about that in that way.

“I guess…” She said, lowly enough.

“It’s not as romantic.” Taeyeon soon spoke up, making Miyoung lift her eyes towards him.

“Sorry?”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter