21. Crossing the Desert

Across The Universe
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Miyoung’s tears were unavoidable. She had barely left the room of that brothel house when her heart beat so deeply hurt and salty tears ran down her cheeks. Bastard Taeyeon! All his fault! His in’ fault! He had to be such a bastard treating her like that!

Miyoung tried to wipe her tears but it was in vain and when she passed through the that closed the door at her face, Miyoung felt angry. Angry that that had shut the door at her face. Angry that Taeyeon had all those from that house as some sort of animal. Angry that he hated highborns and that he had said those things to her.

“Lady Miyoung!” Juhyun came forward towards her. “Lady Miyoung! Why you are crying, Milady?”

Miyoung gritted her teeth and still angry she pushed herself through the girls beside her. “Let’s go.” She called.

“Lady Miyoung?”

“Let’s go!” She recalled, louder. “We gotta leave!”

The three servants exchanged looks at one another, clearly confused. “What’s wrong, Lady Miyoung? What did he do to you?”

“Nothing!”

“Did he hurt you?”

Not physically. “Let’s go, we can’t waste any time!”

“Lady Miyoung…” Juhyun spoke lowly. “You don’t seem alright…”

“It doesn’t matter! Let’s just go!” She called them, angrily. “ Taeyeon, that bastard…”

“Lady Miyoung…”

“What did he say to you?” Sooyoung asked, frowning her brows.

“It doesn’t matter! It doesn’t matter what he said, let’s go!”

And without even waiting for their reply, Miyoung walked forward, heading herself towards the southern gate of that city. Finally she would go through that gate and leave that hellhole. She would get to Stonegard and then find ways to go east, board a boat, and get to Rosegarden by the sea, crossing the terrains of the Riverlands.

As they started through the gates, Miyoung actually moved her head to look behind. She didn’t know the reason why, but the fact that a pale bastard boy wearing silver clothes wasn’t there to be found made her feel empty and sad.

Her heart was hurt and angry and Miyoung was hating herself to feel that way. How could a bastard boy she has met barely for three days could make her feel that way? How could a bastard boy she hasn’t really any attachment make her get so emotional over such little things? Hwang Miyoung shouldn’t be crying because she was leaving Midsummar. She should be happy and relieved she was finally free from Shin Yunsuk’s hands. But she was not. She was not happy. She was devastated.

And the further they went from that southern gate, more her tears fell.

“Lady Miyoung…” Juhyun called again. “You don’t seem alright, are you sure you want to leave?”

“Ah now you want me to stay?” She asked, angrily towards those women. “Yesterday you were giving me for wanting to stay here and talk to Taeyeon before we could leave, but now that I finally did talk to that bastard and I’m free, there you come, giving me for walking away from here?? How does that even make sense??”

Juhyun lowered her head.

“No one is giving you for anything, Lady Miyoung…” Sooyoung advanced. “You just seem... emotionally unbalanced.”

“Emotionally unbalanced??”

“The talk with him didn’t go so well, did it?” Yuri came forward.

“Why do you even care? He is not our problem anymore! So Let’s go!” Miyoung rushed, walking faster.

“Look at you, Lady Miyoung…” Juhyun tried to help. “You are not in condition to cross this desert…”

“Yes, I am!”

“Okay… okay...I know what is going on…” Yuri suddenly spoke, sighing. “You find out the bastard ain’t that gentle and kind as you thought he was...”

Miyoung clenched her jaw.

“That’s good, Lady Miyoung. It’s good you found this about him so soon. This shows you that you can’t trust him. It doesn’t matter how you feel about him, all men are alike! They’re all bastards who only care for their needs!”

“Yuri, c’mon…” Sooyoung called. “It’s not right time…”

“No, Sooyoung, Lady Miyoung needs to know the harsh truth of this world! Her heart is young and pure and can be easily manipulated! The sooner she finds about the true nature of bastard boys and men, the better! It is easy for Lady Miyoung to fall in grace with knightly older men wearing shining armor and shields-”

“Taeyeon doesn’t wear shining armor!” Miyoung retorted it, angrily, turning herself towards Yuri. “Or uses a shield! Nor he is a knight!” Yuri blinked. “And I didn’t fall in grace with him!”

The three servants exchanged looks with one another.

“He is a ing bastard who doesn’t have any idea how my life is ing miserable!”

“Lady Miyoung…” Juhyun sighed, softly.

“My family is murdered at my own wedding! My own in’ wedding!” She shouted, frustrated, back to walk forward, not caring for the tears leaving her eyes. “My husband is a in’ piece of ! And now I’m crossing a ing desert dressed up as in’ to reach a in’ village I have literally never heard of! And there comes that in’ bastard boy from that in’ city of iron and steel flaming me for being a highborn! A in’ highborn!” Her shoulders moved up and down in such a fast pace, Miyoung was feeling breathless. “As if everything was my in’ fault! As if I was on the blame for all that in’ happened! I never asked for that! I never asked for any of that!”

“Lady Miyoung…”

“ him for all I care!” She cursed, angrily, moving away her hands.

“I feel like this is the highest number of s I’ve ever heard a nobleborn to say.” Sooyoung left it.

“So what? You in’ hate nobleborns too?” Miyoung turned herself towards Sooyoung, pushing her with her hands. “You are gonna tell me I’m no different than my in’ husband because I was lucky enough to be born in Rosegarden as a member of House in’ Hwang??”

Sooyoung blinked, frowning her brows together for Miyoung’s response.

“Lady Miyoung…” Juhyun tried to intervene, walking ahead placing in front of her. “We just want to help you. We understand you’re hurt by whatever has Taeyeon said to you… but all we want for you is to be alright…”

“I’m alright!” Miyoung replied instantly.

“Why you are so angry with what he said to you?”Sooyoung asked, curiously. “Why do you even care for a bastard boy has to say about a nobleborn like you?” “You know you can’t like him, right?”

“I don’t like him!”

“Are you sure, Lady Miyoung?” Yuri asked this time.

“Yes, I am!” She stood firmly. “I don’t like him!”

“Good.” Sooyoung backed. “By the laws of Joseon, highborns and bastards cannot marry one another.”

“Who even is talking about ing marriage? I just wished he wasn’t so in’ stupid about my birthline!” She said, angrily. “I wanted us to part our ways in a good understanding of each other, and in a good farewell, and not angry at one another! Is that too hard to ask?“ She asked, moving her hands away to no one in particular.

“We can still go back if you want to...” Sooyoung cleared.

“Go back?”

“If you just want everything to be alright between you two, there’s time for us to go back there…” Sooyoung pointed with her head. “We can go back and you can have a last word with him.”

“We won’t go back there!” Miyoung quickly rushed. “Taeyeon and I have nothing to do with each other anymore!”

“Lady Miyoung…” Juhyun tried again. “You will never see him again, are you sure you want to move on feeling this way about him?” Her handmaiden tried to help.

Miyoung gritted her teeth, her young heart beating in anger and agony. “Let’s just go!” She called, firmly.

The three servants sighed and decided to stay quiet and follow Lady Miyoung. The soil was hot and the sand was making their walk become slow and tiresome. Mioyung could feel her stomach start to complain and her lips become dry.

Soon it wasn’t her stomach that was complaining but Sooyoung. “I’m getting hungry.” She said, Miyoung pretended she didn’t hear.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter