57. Alright

Across The Universe
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Miyoung was having some mixed feelings upon seeing Taeyeon there. Sure she was happy to meet her again but there was a slight fear of judgment and refusal from the other half.  A flush tingled on her cheeks returned, a mix of nervousness and vulnerability. As she tentatively stepped closer to Taeyeon, her defensive instincts kicked in when she noticed Taeyeon take a subtle step back.  

 

The sheer presence of the other figures surrounding them seemed to magnify her unease, making Miyoung feel smaller. She permitted herself to be silent, taking notice of Taeyeon’s overall looks. 

 

“A friend of yours?” The tallest member of the group directed the question at Taeyeon, cutting her line of thought.  Miyoung took a step back, almost at awe in seeing double Taeyeons in front of her. Had she drunk some wine, she might have mixed those two up. 

 

“Kinda.” Taeyeon said, not really sure where they were standing. Friends? Acquaintances? Just a familiar face from the past? She couldn’t tell. Miyoung felt a little hurt by those words. 

 

“I thought you only had Heechul.”

 

“It’s a long story. Not in the mood to share it.” Taeyeon replied, without much patience to revive that installment, deliberately avoiding any meaningful eye contact with Miyoung.

 

“Taeyeon…” Miyoung’s voice trembled, a plea in her tone. “Can we talk? Like just the two of us?” 

 

Taeyeon took a deep sigh, her face turning to the left side of the pathwalk. “Not right now, I want to enjoy the evening with them.” 

 

“Taeyeon…”

 

“I’m sorry, Lady Miyoung, I’m not in the mood. I don’t want to hear what you have to say, I’m way past that already. I have other things to worry about.” Taeyeon’s words were curt. 

 

“Please… just give me one minute.” Miyoung tried again. 

 

“It’s never one minute. We can have a talk when we meet again at some other time. Right now, I just want to have a moment with the friends I made in Busan.” Taeyeon responded, her tone determined. “Is that okay?” No, that’s not okay!

 

Miyoung held her gaze on Taeyeon, recollecting her feelings and thoughts. What was she supposed to do in order to have a real conversation with her? Miyoung just needed a couple of minutes to say all the things she wanted to say. Was it really that hard to make it happen?

 

After a couple of seconds in silence, Miyoung lowered her eyes and she offered an apology, recognizing that Taeyeon could still be hurt from their last confrontation. “I’m sorry, Taeyeon.” 

 

“For what?” Taeyeon asked, catching Miyoung off guard. “You told me everything you needed to say that day. It was a sincere conversation and I believe any misunderstandings were finally solved between us.”

 

“Solved?” 

 

“Solved.” Taeyeon affirmed, confidently. And if Miyoung’s words about Taeyeon being a liar and trickster weren’t enough to solve the matter, the slap she received in the face certainly was. 

 

“I understand you’re moved on from what happened to us, but I haven’t. I think it’s important for us to have a decent talk and a proper conversation.” 

 

“We had that conversation, Lady Miyoung! I told you everything that I felt worth saying at that time and you did the same. You took your decision to leave and I respected that, just like I respected the boys’ decision to leave. I fully understand we are in different stages in our lives. We have different paths to walk, different goals and dreams to achieve. Your dream is not possible with me. I get it.” Her tone was resolute. “So whatever apologies you think you owe, spare them. You don’t owe me an apology. No need to say sorry.”

 

“Taeyeon…” Miyoung’s eyes were somber, nearly welling with tears, but she held in. Miyoung wouldn’t want to break down in public like that. 

 

“If she is your friend…” The tallest friend from before placed a hand over Taeyeon’s shoulder. “And you guys need to talk, we can leave you guys alone so you can talk in private.” 

 

Taeyeon shook her head. “No need. We’re done talking. Let’s enjoy the evening.” She declared, pulling the other girls with her so they could move away from the scene.

 

“Are you sure you’re done?” She asked curiously. “Seems like you guys have some stuff going on…”

 

“There isn’t stuff going on. No more business I have with Lady Miyoung. We took different paths in this journey. We can have this conversation at another time!” She asserted confidently. “There is no need for you’all to be so pestered about that!” 

 

“Are you sure?” 

 

“Definitely. Lady Miyoung won’t mind it so much.” Taeyeon said so as if she really was sure of that. 

 

“Heechul is waiting for you…” Miyoung tried once again, throwing Heechul’s name as bait to see if Taeyeon would find her some time. Yet, Taeyeon didn’t really make any effort to buy it. 

 

“I’m sure he can wait as well.” She replied with a wry chuckle. And with no more seconds to lose, Taeyeon pulled the people around her to keep moving and leave that place. 

 

Miyoung lowered her gaze to her feet, feeling like she was somewhat betrayed. “Deception and heartbreak lie ahead of you.” Miyoung recalled the fortune teller. Was that the situation she was referring to? Cause sure it felt like her heart was broken. 

 

Moments later, Miyoung noticed one of Taeyeon's friends looking at her. She broke away from her group of friends and came over to Miyoung’s side. 

 

“Youngsun?” The tallest one called her out. 

 

“If that is okay with Taeyeon, I’d like to catch up with Heechul one more time.” She said softly. “Just to know how things went for him in Hwarang Academy.” 

 

Taeyeon reluctantly nodded. 

 

“I’ll meet you guys later. Don’t worry about me.” She quickly assured them before waving them a short goodbye and standing on Miyoung’s side. 

 

Few seconds passed before the group reluctantly accepted her cause and walked away, leaving Miyoung behind with that strange Sundeok Warrior. 

 

“I’m Yongsun. Nice to meet you.” She quickly introduced herself, bowing her head in a light nod. Miyoung reciprocated the gesture. 

 

“Hwang Miyoung.” 

 

 “I apologize if that seemed abrupt, I’ve sort of wanted to have a word with you.” She admitted.

 

“I thought you wanted to see Heechul…”

 

“Yeah, that too. Would it be okay to have a stroll with you while you lead me to him?” Miyoung was a bit puzzled, unsure of her intentions, but she ended up shrugging her shoulders accepting the offer. 

 

“Sure. What do you wanna talk about?”

 

“Are you truly a friend of Kim Taeyeon’s?”

 

“Yeah.” Miyoung sighed. “We used to travel together on this journey. We met in the Red Mountains and due to circumstances we had to flee southways. Eventually, our group split up when we reached Mokpo Island.” She explained. 

 

“I see. When Taeyeon arrived here in Busan, she was set with Heechul as a friend only. So we didn’t know she had other friends coming along the way.” 

 

“I guess she didn’t mention me.” 

 

“No, not at all.” Miyoung didn’t know if that was a curse or a blessing. “Why did you guys split apart?”

 

Miyoung looked up. “Life happened. And it left us both deeply hurt. At the time, I didn’t think I could forgive her for what she did so I refused to take the same boat. After she sailed away, I realized I had made a mistake. I want to apologize but I guess she is not that much interested in that.” Miyoung resumed the situation the best she could. 

 

Yongsun nodded in understanding. “Taeyeon is similar to Moonbyul in many ways.”

 

“Moonbyul?” 

 

“My best friend.” Yongsun quickly clarified. “The tallest girl in our group.” Miyoung finally came to know the name of that woman. “Moonbyul has many qualities, but when someone hurts her, she kinda engolfs herself in a grudge for a couple of days. Taeyeon might still be in that phase, which could explain why she isn’t so keen to listen to you right now. But give her a little more time and she will no longer put that facade in front of you.”

 

Miyoung could understand Yongsun’s perspective but she also realized that the woman’s assessment might be a bit off. “It’s been weeks alread, maybe a month. I don’t think Taeyeon would easily forgive me for what I did.”

 

“Of course she will. Taeyeon is very understanding of people. It’s her biggest strength.” 

 

“Were you close with Taeyeon while she was on your training ground?”

 

“Moonbyul was closer. She was Taeyeon’s Jusen.”

 

“What is that?”

 

“Kinda like a mentor. In our Academy, every squad has masters and mentors. A Jusen is a mentor with knowledge and expertise high enough to be considered master of the class and lead the other students. Some students like to call us captains.”

 

“Are you a Jusen as well?”

 

“Yes. I’m the Jusen of the second squad, which specializes in combat with Daggers. We are experts in short-range combat and maneuvering short-bladed weapons.”

 

“So Moonbyul was the Jusen of the class relating to combat with Swords?” Miyoung guessed, aware that Taeyeon was leaning more towards that art field. 

 

“Yes. Sword & Fencing class. Moonbyul and Taeyeon had a close relationship in our academy and they often helped each other, so they became really good friends.”

 

“I see.” Miyoung nodded, not knowing if she should take that friendship to somewhere else. “But you said Moonbyul-Jusen is your best friend.”

 

“She is. And always will be.” Yongsun said, smiling. “We are bound to that academy for the rest of our lives so I don’t think our friendship will be swayed due to a new friend’s arrival.” 

 

“That’s good to hear. But why does that sound like it’s relevant to Taeyeon and me?” Miyoung tried to catch up. 

 

Yongsun simply smiled. “If you are genuinely good friends, Taeyeon will always find a place to forgive you. Even if it takes longer than weeks. She is on a long journey and she needs good companions to keep her afloat. So don’t stress so much about Taeyeon’s cold shudder from before.” 

 

“Why are you telling me all of this?”

 

“Because I want to make sure you don’t stray away from hers. Same thing happened to me and Moonbyul once but we are on good terms right now. I’m willing to believe the same could happen to you and Taeyeon as well. When Moonbyul and I had a serious argument that led us drifted apart, I realized how wrong I took her intentions for and that hurt us more than anything else. I shouldn’t really have turned away from her during those times. I feel like you and Taeyeon might be facing the same situation.”

 

Miyoung scoffed ironically. “Did Moonbyul lie to you through your whole life making you believe she was a man instead of a woman?” 

 

Yongsun quickly noticed the dried tone. “No.”

 

“Did you slap her face accusing her of being a selfish person and proceed to tell her that everything amiss that was happening was her fault?”

 

“No.”

 

“So we are not in the same situation. You don’t know what it feels like.” Miyoung retorted. “You don’t know how it feels to have been deceived like that. So before coming to me saying we are alike, you should step back and realize you know nothing about me and Taeyeon.” Miyoung spoke firmly, staring fiercely at Yongsun “Not a single bit.” 

 

Yongsun looked to her feet, taking her words in. Miyoung realized she might have come across as too daunting for a first impression. 

 

“Honestly, no offense to you Yongsun, but Taeyeon and I have been through many things together. You wouldn’t understand, which gives me the question, why do you want to have this conversation with me in the first place?”

 

“Because I can see some parallels between you and Taeyeon, much like what happened to me and Moonbyul. And if I were you I would have liked to hear friendly advice from someone who shared the same experience.”

 

“It’s nowhere near the same experience.” Miyoung retorted, a hint of bitterness in her tone. “It will never be the same experience.”

 

“I guess I’ve taken things in the wrong direction then.” 

 

“The wrong direction?”

 

“I’ve got the feeling that you take Taeyeon more than a friend…” Miyoung was cut short with words right then. Her looks of despair are a bit more evident. “And a lot of people don’t know how to deal with that… it’s very common to become dry and sour about that sort of stuff.  So, I thought that perhaps you and Taeyeon were kinda struggling in that regard.” 

 

Miyoung turned herself quiet and distant, not wanting to say anything. However, she was taken aback that someone had so easily discerned her feelings. 

 

Yongsun continued. “I remember how difficult it was for me to accept it all. My feelings and considerations for my best friend. It’s such a scary thing… to feel this way for a good friend of ours. Especially for a friend that shares the same gender as ours.” Yongsun breathed in, not really afraid to tell Miyoung those things. “During that time, I felt like the whole world was against me and I was constantly angry all the time. Any cold shoulder from Moonbyul I would read as of something more to it than what it really was and that was hurting us a lot. Took a toll on me, on Moonbyul and on everyone around us. ” Yongsun said. “I’ve got the feeling you could be in the same situation that I was when it happened to me back in that time.” 

 

Miyoung took a moment to absorb Yongsun’s words, letting those sinking in, putting some time to understand her feelings and struggles. She was grateful that Yongsun felt comfortable enough to share such personal experiences, even if they weren’t really familiar with each other. Clearly, Yongsun had recognized there was something that resonated with her and Miyoung and she took this opportunity to connect their stories. 

 

And Miyoung decided to retribute and trust Yongsun just the same. So she opened up. “Taeyeon saved my life. Literally. And ever since, he’s been this heroic figure whom I could trust. I’ve never met someone like him, someone willing to help others just because he felt it was the right thing to do. Especially considering his birthline. Back in those times, he was the leader of a group of bastard men. I’ve joined the band and become part of the group as well during the journey. I took Taeyeon as a man, for many different reasons, and he never really went any further to deny our assumptions, and I ended up developing feelings for him. On Mokpo Island we had an argument that led to the revelation of his true gender.” Miyoung recalled their argument. “I had plans to marry him somehow, I was convinced I could make it work. But when he disclosed his true gender, and that he was no man, my plan wasn’t possible anymore. And I got mad that she lied to me like that and for so long; it felt like treason. All those months we spent together and not once she dared to tell me the truth. I was so mad and hurt, I couldn't even look at her eyes anymore. We ended up drifting apart. She came to Busan with Heechul and I remained on Mokpo Island.” 

 

Yongsun nodded, following the story through. “And now you regret that decision? You feel that was a mistake?”

 

Miyoung nodded her head as an affirmation. “I wanted to see her again to say sorry and amend the situation.” Miyoung sighed, slightly disappointed still. “But she is definitely not interested to hear what I have to say.”

 

“Like I mentioned earlier… give her some time, Taeyeon isn’t that difficult. She made Yoona-Sennim grow fond of hers in a very short time.” 

 

Miyoung kinda wondered who that Sennim was but didn’t inquire further. She continued telling Yongsun what she had been feeling. “It feels like I’m falling behind, like I’m missing stuf

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter