30. Feelings and Arguments

Across The Universe
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The silence between Miyoung and Heechul was deafening. There was nothing else that Miyoung would like to do other than to cut Taeyeon’s crap. She knew the boy was intentionally avoiding her due to the kiss they shared. She knew the boy just wanted to be away from her, but did the bastard boy need to stick her with that friend of his throughout the journey?

Miyoung was aware of the harsh feelings from Heechul towards her and it didn’t make any sense in her head why Taeyeon thought it would be a good idea for the two of them being together. Especially because Heechul didn’t know how to swordfight. What if the Golden Army comes and gets her back to Shin Yunsuk? How would Heechul manage to stop that from happening? How can a guy like him protect Miyoung and her handmaiden from stronger foes?

“You are happy, aren’t you?” Heechul asked, bitterly. ”To be officially part of the band?”

Miyoung just rolled her eyes, her hands tightening over Ginger’s reins. “Yes, I am.” She answered, firmly. “Because I know Taeyeon will keep me safe. Different from you.”

He grimaced, not liking her answer. “We shouldn't have ever rescued you back then.”

Miyoung closed her eyes, a bitter taste filling up . “What is done, it’s done. Why do you keep coming back to that?”

Heechul didn’t answer.

“Why are you so bitter towards me, Heechul?”

He chuckled coldly for her question. “You’ve put him in danger and you come asking why I’m bitter towards you?”

“It’s not my fault Shin Yunsuk decided to place a bounty on his head.”

“Of course it is. He is your husband.”

Miyoung looked away, angry with his remark. Not because she feels he is right about that, but because the very remembrance of her own spouse. She hated to remember that that despicable man was her Lord Husband. She hated to remember that what her Lord Father wanted to accomplish was completely turned upside down because of that arranged marriage. If only her father and brother had asked her about it. If only they had cared about her opinion and respected her choice, that wouldn’t have happened.

But they didn’t. They didn’t care about her feelings.

And now they are dead. Six feet under the ground.

“I hate him.” Miyoung said, firmly. “I hate that man. And now you dare to put the blame of what happened on me?”

“If you hadn’t asked Taeyeon to save your friends, he wouldn’t have fought in that trial.”

Miyoung felt Juhyun’s arms tighten around her waist.

“I didn’t ask him to fight in that trial. He decided to step on that platform and offer a trial by combat as the only way to save my friends in the eyes of the law.” She said it back. “The victor of a trial by combat is seen as the manifestation of the will by the gods. And for whatever vows the victor is fighting for, they shall be granted to him. It was the only way Taeyeon could save my friends legally, without Shin Yunsuk commanding his army to kill them off.”

“If the victor shall have his vows granted, why has Shin Yunsuk not respected that and placed a bounty on his head?”

Miyoung had thought about that too. “Taeyeon is the perfect tool for Shin Yunsuk to get his plan working tight for him.” She reasoned. “He wanted to play the murder of my family as an accident rather than his own scheming. Taeyeon is perfect for that, as he can put the blame on him, a simple bastard born with no respect towards noble lives, as the sacrifice lamb for his plan to work fine. With the blame on Taeyeon, he doesn’t even need to deceive the events of my wedding as an accident. He can openly say it was murder, solely made by Taeyeon’s hands, and the people throughout the regions will believe him. And it is done. Now he has people searching for Taeyeon to kill him off due to what he did to the Hwangs, and he is seen as innocent in this whole scenario. Not a single noble born would consider him a traitor and he will be still recognized as the Lord of Rosegarden.” She said, cold and distasteful. “It’s killing two birds with one stone for Shin Yunsuk.”

Heechul kept walking without saying a thing.

“The only way to save Rosegarden from his hands is with me and Juhyun alive in order to tell the provinces and their lords the truth.” She kept talking. “Taeyeon is aware of that. And I know you are too.” She added. Heechul stood silent still. “So... I can’t understand why you are still bitter with me after all this time. It’s not about the trial, is it?”

Heechul didn’t answer. Miyoung noticed his munching his inner cheeks. “Nor it’s about the bounty. You were angry with me far before that. So...what is it that makes you mad at me?”

He just looked away, still walking forward beside them.

Miyoung sighed.

“You are his best friend.” Miyoung resumed. “And as important you are to Taeyeon, you are important to me too. We shouldn’t go on a journey together where I can trust only one of your men.”

“I am important to you?” He asked, not seemingly believing that. “Would you dare to save me if I were on the break of death?”

“Not with this attitude.” That made Juhyun chuckle while Heechul seemed to be a little offended. Miyoung just sighed. “In case you didn’t notice it, Heechul… I want to be a friend too. But you keep pushing me away. And you keep having these harsh feelings towards me. Tell me why. If there’s something I can change on my behavior, I will.”

He gulped, seemed to be a little touched by those words, but did not dare to answer. Miyoung nodded her head. “Do you hate noble borns that much that you won’t even dare to answer their questions?”

“Fine!” He bursted out, angrily. He stopped walking and placed himself in front of the horse, making Ginger stop as well. “You know why I don’t like you? I’m afraid you are gonna lead Taeyeon to his death!” Miyoung blinked her eyes. “I’m afraid you and you stupid husband will not leave Taeyeon alone! I’m afraid you are gonna make my friend lose his heart for a fancy girl that won’t give a damn for him! I’m afraid you are gonna make my friend fall for you and that would make him a criminal! I’m afraid you will steal him away from me!” He finished, gritting his teeth. He felt so burdened by his feelings and words that barely finished speaking, he just bluntly ran away from his spot, going towards a direction Miyoung didn’t really care for.

She blinked, stunned by his words, and lowered her head, feeling her chest start to ache. Juhyun tightened around her waist.

“I didn’t know he was feeling that way…” Juhyun said, lowly, completely touched about what he just said. “I feel bad for him.”

Miyoung felt a tear roll down her cheek.

~~*~~

When Miyoung found Heechul sitting at a table around a dumpling barn, she sighed, feeling bad for the man. He had his head down, with his bags and belongings next to his feet, and a small basket of dumplings on top of the table.

Miyoung climbed down from the horse and knotted the reins of Ginger around a wooden pole in front of the barn, where Ginger could drink some water.

She approached Heechul at the table with Juhyun just beside her, and upon joining him, she stood a couple of seconds in silence, in search of words to speak to him.

“Heechul..” She started. The boy looked away, feeling hardened about it. “I’m sorry, Heechul. I didn’t know you were feeling this way.”

He stood in silence.

Miyoung gulped, her chest feeling a tad tighter than before. Not only because of the words Heechul just said but Miyoung started to feel guilty about the kiss she shared with Taeyeon. “I just want you to know… that... I never had any intention to put Taeyeon in danger. And I didn’t really think that so many troubles would be thrown at him because of my husband...I feel guilty and ashamed that such a despicable person is making his life a living hell. ” Miyoung spoke up. “But… being with Taeyeon...having him beside me…” She paused for a second, making Heechul and Juhyun turn their faces towards her. “Makes me feel… happy. And safe.” She exhaled.

Heechul kept staring at her.

“Somehow, I’m happy that Taeyeon is with me. I thank the gods every day for having him around me because if it wasn't for him, everything would've been so different right now. I shudder to think that Shin Yunsuk could have slayed Juhyun there at that plaza. I shudder to think that his golden army could have taken me back to his palace, forcing me to live with him and with no shame at all for what he did. I shudder to think that...if I hadn’t taken that alley to run away, I wouldn’t have met you guys at all.” Miyoung sniffed, clearing up a tear with her thumb. “They are so different, aren’t they? Taeyeon and Yunsuk. They’re like opposites. It’s crazy to think that a bastard boy born in a brothel out of all people would become such a honourable person. Yet, a noble man born holding a golden spoon can’t even respect the wedding day of her Lady Wife...”

Heechul adjusted himself around the table. Miyoung continued speaking. “It hurts me to see Yunsuk daring to blame Taeyeon for his actions. It hurts me to leave this town the way we are doing, as if Taeyeon was a criminal of some sort. It hurts me to think that the minute Taeyeon steps outside the Hae-Sun’s inn, he could lose his head by hunters and money collectors. I hate all of this...as much as you do.”

Heechul kept silent still.

“I owe Taeyeon everything. I owe him my life, my friends, my freedom, everything. And it’s hard for me...not to look at Taeyeon as someone special. Someone I wish to stay with me throughout this journey. Because I know that as long as he is with me, I will be alright. I will be safe. I will be happy. ” Miyoung felt her hand being held by Juhyun, which she felt comforted by. She smiled gently, glad that her handmaiden was still with her. “But I also know that there are dangers around the corner for each one of us. And I know what ending Taeyeon could have if… this... goes out of control. I want him to live. I want him to finish his quest in Hanyang. I want him to have his dreams coming true. And I know for that to happen… Taeyeon and I couldn’t really be together.”

Miyoung exhaled, feeling that her bottled feelings were actually dripping out on that conversation. It was weird for her to say those words to Heechul of all people, but at the same time she felt like he probably was the one deserving to know her feelings and true intentions the most. “I know where my boundaries are. Not delimited by me in any way, as those laws were written by older men who don’t really care for what a woman has to say but only to see them obey them. And I’m aware of the implications if those laws are transgressed. So there is nothing I can do. Taeyeon is out of the picture. Even if I grow feelings for him, I won’t put his life at risk. I’ll do everything I can to keep him alive and safe. I promise you, Heechul.”

Heechul gulped, lowering his eyes to the round table between them. Miyoung sighed, looking at a distant spot between them. “I also have no intention to steal your spot as his best friend.” She added it up. “You are important to him and he shall have you by his side at difficult times. I have no intention to steal him away from you in this stance. So you don’t need to worry about that.” She spoke up, trying to give him a smile. “I’m sorry for being rude with you earlier. I’m sorry I didn’t dare to think through your struggles. It was really shallow of me, looking back now.” Miyoung looked at Juhyun, recognizing her own efforts to keep Miyoung alive. Somehow Heechul reminded her of Juhyun. “You just wanted to protect your best friend. And I failed to see that. You’re a good friend, Heechul. I’m sure Taeyeon is glad you are by his side.”

He munched his inner cheeks. Miyoung chuckled, feeling much lighter after that conversation. “I would be glad if you were by my side too.” The boy lifted his eyes to her. “If we are at the same page, we can protect each other and make our lives much easier. So if it isn’t really hard to ask, would you become my friend as well?” She stretched her hand out to him, waiting for him to hold it, as a sign of acknowledgement between the two. Heechul gulped.

“You’ll help Taeyeon get to Hanyang?” He asked after a couple of seconds.

“I will.”

“You’ll protect him if your husband shows up to kill him?”

Miyoung gulped, thinking about that situation. If her husband somehow manages to catch Taeyeon, what would she do? Would she confront him to save Taeyeon?

After everything Taeyeon did for her, would she willingly do the same for that bastard boy?

“I will give my best try.” She answered, honestly. “It might sound easier to do it because of my birth class, but there are restrictions based on my gender and age. So I don’t have unlimited powers to do everything I wished I could do. But if the situation falls into a category where I can intervene and protect Taeyeon, then I will.” She finished. “I will protect him from Shin Yunsuk.”

Heechul stared at Miyoung’s hand for a couple of seconds. “It doesn’t look good for a noble lady to touch the hands or the face of a bastard born.” He spoke up.

Miyoung smiled. “I don’t look at you as a bastard born.”

“You don’t?” He asked, surprised.

“No. I look at you as a friend.” She said, gently.

Heechul blinked, obliviously. He reluctantly proceeded to take Miyoung’s hand and tighten his grip onto it, as an acknowledging handshake.

That seemed to put Miyoung and Heechul at a light understanding. “I’m sorry.” He said, after their handshake was broken apart. “For acting up with you all this time.”

“It’s alright.” She dismissed his words. “I understand. It’s tough to see your best mate go all over this trouble because of a fancy girl, ain’t it?” Miyoung asked, trying to lower her words and speech down to match Heechul’s. The boy chuckled, finding it a bit amusing.

“If you want to speak like a bastard born...You need to have lessons with Donghae.” He said, jokingly.

Miyoung nodded. “Noted.”

Heechul smiled, bowing his head to Miyoung. “Thank you, Lady Hwang.”

Miyoung smiled back, feeling relieved that Heechul and she were finally at the same page.

And for a moment, Miyoung had a feeling that this was exactly what Taeyeon wanted.

~~*~~

When they’ve just passed by the City Hall, Miyoung pulled Ginger’s reins back instantly, making him stop. That made Heechul stop walking as well.

“Is everything okay, Lady Hwang?” Heechul asked, turning his face towards her not understanding the sudden brake.

Miyoung climbed down from Ginger and approached the place, her eyes looking at a bounty scroll placed on the wall. Taeyeon’s poster of WANTED DEAD OR ALIVE had an artwork of his overall appearance, and a paragraph explaining what his crimes were and why he was wanted.

“What does it say?” Heechul asked her as the bounty was written in Chinese.

“The bastard born from Jeolla’s Province dared to come to the Red Mountains and defy the laws of this region. A fierce dispute took place between Kim Taeyeon and Shin Yunsuk, the Master of this land. Not satisfied with his defeat on the challenge thrown at him, the bastard boy decided to slay the lives of the members of the Hwang Family, bringing sorrow to Shin Yunsuk’s Lady Wife and her people in the north. The gods of Joseon now proclaim that Kim Taeyeon shall be punished for his crimes.” She finished up reading.

Heechul scoffed, in disbelief. “Such a sore loser. Still paints him as the winner of that trial. How can people eat that up? The whole town was there to watch him lose.”

“This message is not directed at the common people.” Miyoung spoke up. “It’s targeted to noblemen and highborns. Especially the ones far away from Midsummar. Nobles with influence that would listen to him in a heartbeat.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter