4. The best friend

Across The Universe
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Heechul had a gulp from his beer and smiled when he caught sight of his best friend sitting on the outside table of the tavern. Taeyeon was a strange man, Heechul used to think. Never before, he had seen a man that did not spend time warming beds of brothels. Or enjoyed hot herbal tea in favor of beer and wine. Or that had sweet rice cakes as favorite food.

Taeyeon was gentle and gallant, strong and delicate, short and patient, bastard and filial. For a lowborn like Heechul, Taeyeon was the type of men he would only find in folk tales.

Heechul was grateful for moments he could be alone with his friend. Ever since the group had been joined by the others, scarce were the times where he and Taeyeon could talk in peace without hearing the silly jokes of Minho or the snarky comments from Leeteuk. Heechul was glad that The Abandoned were no longer just the two of them, but there were times he missed when he and Taeyeon wandered the lands of Joseon just by themselves.

Now that the others were spending their time with the in the nearest brothel, Heechul joined his best friend’s table, giving him the mug of herbal tea. “Sunmi said she tried her best to make this tea. It’s not her speciality.”

Taeyeon thanked the gesture, accepting the beverage with both of his hands and blew the hot liquid a couple of times before serving himself. “It is good to relieve pain. And to feint hunger and other symptoms.” The short man gently said. “Tea can be a man’s best friend sometimes.”

Heechul chuckled for his remark and taking a second gulp of his beer, he retrieved a roll of parchment, a quill and ink from his satchel and placed them on the table between them. “So, when we’ll be heading towards the Red Mountains?” He asked, curiously. “Because the boys won’t like if we leave before the festival.”

“Festival? What festival?” Taeyeon was oblivious to that.

“Rumours say there will be a festival in a couple of weeks. With all sorts of foods, dances and fire shows.”

“Rumours say? Who is saying that? It’s not Sunmi. She didn’t tell me about a festival of any sort.”

“Some in brothels.”

Taeyeon rolled his eyes, a little impatient for the behavior of his group of friends. Heechul smiled, drinking his beer once again. “It’s not our fault you keep yourself away from ladies.”

“I don’t keep myself away from ladies. I love ladies. My best friends are ladies.”

“I’m your best friend.” “And I’m not a lady.”

Taeyeon looked at him, chuckling. “Sometimes, I feel like you are.”

“Oiy!” He hit his parchment roll on Taeyeon’s head. “How dare you say this to an older friend of yours?”

“It’s not supposed to be an offense, you know.” Taeyeon said, making Heechul frown his eyes.

“How calling me a woman is not supposed to be an offense?”

Taeyeon shrugged his shoulders. “I’ve met some great women in my life. They are important figures in my upbringing. They took care of me, protected me from many dangers. I would trust those women with my life. Somehow, you give me the same feeling. A feeling that I can trust you.”

“That doesn’t mean I’m a woman…”

“Yeah… I know.” Taeyeon’s voice came out low for some reason.

“Anyway… I’ve heard that even a fighting competition will be held.” Heechul said, excitedly. “A sword fighting competition.” He emphasized the sword part.

Taeyeon looked away. “I don’t take part into fighting competitions.”

“You are the only one in our group who knows how to sword fight.” Heechul knew his best friend was really good with his sword fighting skills. And if Taeyeon was to participate in those competitions, Heechul knew he could win. And with Taeyeon winning, they could earn some money.

“I don’t take part into sword fight competitions.”

“Taeyeon… You said we need money!”

“We wouldn’t need it so much if you haven’t been spending nights with no end with in brothels.” He complained. “It seems like the fault is on all of you in the first place!”

“Anyway… with this competition, we can earn money with it!” He tried to bargain. “You join the sword fight competition and we bet on your win.” Heechul said excitedly. “You win and tada! We’ll be surrounded by a large amount of money!”

“My sword and I weren’t made for showboating.”

“Taeyeon…”

“Master Kim didn’t teach me his art so I would use carelessly fighting inside pits with random men.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter