006

His Lucky Strike

 

“Aeyoung-ah,”

Aeyoung looked up from her vanity, she was in the middle of putting some blush on when a familiar face walked in.

She smiled at him, Ten rolled his eyes before leaning over to kiss the top of her head.

“It’s the weekend tomorrow, how about go out?” She spoke, Ten plopped down on her bed, there was a look on his face that made her pause.

“Ma arranged dinner for all of us tonight, I didn’t want to come, but Jeno begged for her side.” She shrugged at him.

“No, Aeyoung, there’s something you need to know.”

“Wait, aren’t you supposed to be flying to Thailand today? Why~”

Ten took out his phone and handed it to the girl, she took it and focused on the screen.

“I was supposed to, but then I got that.” He told her, Aeyoung’s eyes widened as she went through the photos on the male’s phone.

“His resume says that he finished school here in Seoul, at SNU. And then I had my secretary check it out, you know, just protocol. And then it turns out~”

“It’s all fake. His academic background.” Aeyoung’s tone had changed and she tossed the phone back to him, Ten chewed on his lower lip.

“Aeyoung-ah, I can move my flight if you need my~”

“No, it’s okay. I can handle this.” She stated as she put her heels on, Ten shook his head.

“Ya, this man as fake credentials, who knows what else I not real with him?” Ten told her.

“Ten, you have work, and your father will flip tables again if you don’t get your back home. Besides, you will be back next week.”

“Just..don’t do anything stupid till I get home.” He stood up and picked up his coat.

“Right, I heard you met up with Kun,”

Aeyoung nodded and tied her hair up, Ten’s grin appeared and she glared at him.

“I needed details on his ex-employee, remember?” She hissed as they stepped out of her room.

“Sure.” Ten said slyly, Aeyoung sighed and they went down.

“Think whatever you want.”

“But. How was it? Are…you okay with talking to him? Was it awkward?” Ten asked meaningfully as they reached the foyer, Aeyoung saw her friend’s helicopter, waiting outside.

“Surprisingly, it wasn’t.” Aeyoung said, she chewed on the insides of her cheeks before continuing.

“He’s always been cool with things. Too cool.” She said before heading for her Corvette and she sped away from the property.

Ten crossed his arms as he watched the girl speed away.

“Cool enough to break up with the best thing that ever happened to him.” He said to himself before walking towards the helicopter.

 

 

Jeno stood up and pulled the chair for his sister, Aeyoung met his gaze briefly before taking a seat.

“Aeyoung, thank you for joining us.” Jiwook said with a smile.

“Trust me, I’m not doing this for you.” She replied without looking at him, she looked at her mother.

“What’s all this, ma?” She asked, Jeno called for the waiter and asked for their food to be served.

“Aeyoung-ah, I know we started off the wrong foot. But I want you to be happy for me too.”

“I just don’t understand why no one told me, ma. Now’s your time to explain.”

Jiwook gave the Jing elder a small smile, encouraging for her to speak. Aeyoung wanted to puke in her empty wineglass.

“Jiwook and I met last year, it was at a conference in Busan,”

Aeyoung remained quiet, the food was being served and Jeno carefully helped himself with the pasta.

“Your mother was kind enough to guide me throughout the event, you know. It was my first time.” Jiwook chirped.

“Well, we kept in touch. And then, now, we’re here.” Miss Jing finished.

“So, he proposed.” Aeyoung said.

“Just after a year of knowing each other. And you said yes.” She finished, Jeno blinked and he put his fork down.

“Daughter, I’m not young anymore.”

“Exactly.” She stated, Jiwook’s eyes went to the girl.

“Tell me, mother, what else were your plans?” She leaned over and gently pushed her plate away.

“Well, we’re going to do the ceremony by September. I’ll be inviting my friends from Beijing. Jiwook’s parents also had some suggestions for us.”

“September?”

“Yes, Aeyoung.” Jiwook nodded at her, she looked at him, annoyed that he was speaking to her.

“Then, we’d fly to New York to surprise you, Since, you’re always so busy with training, mama didn’t want to disturb you with my~”

“What? You were planning to surprise me?” Aeyoung repeated, Jeno froze, his eyes widened in shock.

“You’re getting married too?” Jeno balked.

“Of course, Jeno. What do you think~”

“Don’t get sarcastic with my brother.” Aeyoung spoke, Jiwook looked away.

“You really were planning to keep me in the dark. Your own daughter.” Aeyoung started to shake her head, miss Jing paused, worried.

“Aeyoung-ah, Jiwook suggested that we do that, and, I was actually thinking that you’d be happy for me.”

Aeyoung’s eyes went to Jiwook.

“Of course, he suggested this super great and fun idea.” She nodded along, Jeno noticed how her fists were curled on her lap.

“Noona~”

“Aeyoung, please, don’t~”

Aeyoung stood up and picked up her purse.

“Well, good job parent and parent’s fiancé, I am surprised.” She stated flatly as she pushed the chair harshly.

“But, I’m not going to wish you the best. I don’t like lying to people like that.”

“Aeyoung, let your mother explain, she~”

“I hope you choke on your well-done steak.” Aeyoung spat before walking away from their table.

 

 

Kun slid inside the Rolls Royce vehicle and was greeted by his parents.

“Long day at work, son?” His father asked as he leaned back.

“It was fine, pa. How was your flight?” Kun replied, automatically switching to Mandarin. The car started to move forward and he quickly fixed his tie.

“It was dreadful,” Mrs. Qian said, Kun blinked.

“Honey, we own the airline, saying that..isn’t that a bit wrong?” Her husband asked, Kun grinned and shook his head.

“I’m just saying, I told you that we should just fly privately, but your father was so adamant about trying the new planes that were bought last year.” She nagged as she fixed her earrings on the mirror.

“At least we got to experience what we’re selling, right, son?”

“At this point, pa, it’s safer not to comment.” He chuckled as he checked his phone.

“Well, Anqi is already at the hotel, she’s meeting us at the restaurant there too.”

“I know.” Kun replied, his fingers hovered over the screen briefly, he exhaled before putting the device away.

“What’s that look? Is something bothering you?” Mrs. Qian asked, the father paused and glanced at his son.

“No, it’s nothing, ma. I just..I haven’t seen Anqi in almost a year.” Kun replied, he looked at the window and chewed on his lower lip.

“Son, you decided on this.” The lady said softly, Kun nodded.

“I know, ma. It was for the best anyway.” He said, wanting to drop the topic. Mr. Qian nudged his wife, signaling her to stop before starting to talk about business again.

 

 

Aeyoung’s fingers were shaking as she got in the elevator, she proceeded to press for the lobby before closing her eyes.

She could feel tears lining her eyes, but she refused to let them roll down her cheeks. No, she wasn’t going to cry over this.

She bit on the insides of her cheek.

Her mother not just only lied to her, but she intended to keep everything from her. Aeyoung shook her head, she could literally feel her cheeks heat up as she thought about the conversation she just had with her mother and Kim Jiwook.

And to think her mother would listen to some newcomer who has nothing but a fake diploma. The doors pinged open and she stepped out, disoriented. She made her way to the lobby and to the exit doors.

Aeyoung looked around her, realizing that she had asked the driver to bring her car back home and that she’d ride with Jeno instead.

She shook her head to herself and walked ahead, she stepped out of the premises when suddenly a black Roll Royce stopped before her.

She was about to step back when a familiar voice called her.

“Meiyin?”

She stopped and looked up.

“Uncle,” She said, the elder had a warm smile for her as he approached her.

“What are you doing out here? Have you eaten?”

Aeyoung shook her head, not noticing the rest of the Qians behind the elder.

“U—Uncle, my mother…ma..ma’s getting married.” She said, her eyes unfocused, the elder glanced at his son.

“I heard about that, Meiyin. Are you alright?”

Aeyoung slowly shook her head, she stepped back from the elder. Kun watched from behind, surprised from seeing her. But there was a look in her eyes that worried him, something was wrong. Something was definitely bothering her.

“I…No one told me. I—I’m sorry, uncle. I have to go.” Aeyoung bowed politely before stepping away from him, the elder’s eyes widened as the girl stepped into the pouring rain.

“Aeyoung-ah!” Kun called for her, but the girl didn’t even pause.

“What was that? She looked..so confused.” Mrs. Qian said worriedly as she approached her husband, Kun’s eyes were on the girl as she crossed the street, she was already drenched.

His forehead creased and he exhaled.

“Son, what was that? I didn’t know she was in Seoul as well.”

Kun turned to his parents, he shook his head.

“She just got back, ma. Let’s go inside.” Kun replied, the elder paused.

“She doesn’t look okay, son. It’s already dark out too.” He said before following his wife into the building, Kun exhaled again, his eyes scanned the street across them.

“Ahjussi,” He jogged to their driver.

“Aeyoung was just here, you still recognize her, right?”

“Of course, I know miss Lee.” He spoke, his Chinese accent showing a little.

“Can you make sure she gets home safe? I’ll ask my car to be brought here, so you don’t have to worry about us.” Kun replied, his eyes still on the street, Aeyoung had disappeared.

“Of course, sir.” The male bowed politely before getting back inside the vehicle, Kun took out his phone and dialed Aeyoung’s number. His call went to voicemail, he sighed before going into the hotel.

She gets sick easily.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++