015

His Lucky Strike

 

 

“You really are out for blood. Should I be worried?” Ten asked as he brought his cup of cappuccino to his lips.

“No. I mean, not yet.” Aeyoung chuckled as she took another bite of her cupcake.

“I’m still trying to locate his first wife, I’d like to talk to the lady.”

“What for? Ask if she has fake diplomas too?” Yeoshin snorted, Ten sent her a look.

“Well, I just wanna know how he was as a husband, and besides, a little background check wouldn’t hurt, right?”

“It won’t. Hopefully.” Ten replied, she laughed.

“Anyway, so, what’s up with that whole emotional breakdown featuring Qian Kun?” Yeoshin mused, Ten leaned in and looked at his friend.

“Ah, Qian said he’d help restoring pa’s shed. I’m glad he stepped in, I almost….I wanted to just kill Kim Jiwook right there.” She murmured, Ten paused.

“I mean, what’s up with you two now? Friends?” Yeoshin pressed, the other girl eyed her warily before replying.

“Is it no awkward? You were together for so long.” She murmured again.

“Surprisingly, it’s not. Kun and I, we’ve always been friends, Yeoshin. And I know some may not understand that,” She leaned back and crossed her legs.

“But Qian, will always be Qian to me. I doubt anything would change that.”

“What if your Qian gets married and the wife tells you to back off?” Ten asked, Aeyoung rolled her eyes.

“Why? Did you ever see me throw myself to him?”

“Aeyoung, you know what I mean.”

Aeyoung sighed and shrugged.

“Well, if he wants to cut off twenty or so years of friendship, then that’s cool.”

“She’s right, I doubt Kun will do that.” Yeoshin nodded along, Ten nodded back and finished his coffee.

“But, whoever dates Kun or marries him, I hope she can keep up. He can be quite..moody, you know.” Aeyoung mused before eating.

 

 

Mrs. Qian turned to her husband, asking for his help, but the latter simply looked away.

“You want to know more about Meiyin?”

“Yes, auntie. Kun doesn’t really talk about her, but I met her. And she’s really beautiful and kind. I find her quite..interesting.” Anqi said, the couple were having a relaxing afternoon at their home when the girl suddenly arrived.

“Well, Meiyin, wait, the Jings have always been a close family friend. We were neighbors in Shanghai, so basically, the kids grew up together.” She murmured, Anqi nodded along.

“Kun and Meiyin being the same age, got along really well. They went to the same schools too.”

Mr. Qian started to grin on his seat, Anqi asking about Meiyin was very awkward since the girl was well-loved by his wife.

No, Meiyin has always been welcome to the family.

“How…How did they start dating, auntie?”

“To be honest, we…had no idea until they told us.”

“And, you threw a party to celebrate.” Mr. Qian mused, his wife sent him a look.

“Really? For how long were they together?” Anqi blinked, she picked up her tea and took smalls sips.

“They were in high school when they got together,” Mrs. Qian pursed her lips, then her brows rose, she looked shocked herself.

“And they…broke up a few months before finishing college. Whoa.” She grinned in amazement, then she immediately fixed the expression on her face.

“But, you don’t have to worry. Those two are just friends now.”

Mr. Qian rolled his eyes and picked up the paper again.

“Ah, really?”

“Really. It’s just Meiyin.” Mrs. Qian smiled and patted the girl’s hand, she glanced at her husband briefly before biting her lip.

 

 

“She..announced it? Everything?” Kun looked up from his seat, Doyoung grinned back.

“I was there for the meeting; my father couldn’t come. It was crazy, her mother was so angry.”

Kun grinned and shook his head.

Meiyin, Meiyin.” He murmured to himself, Doyoung took the seat across him.

“I thought we had to reschedule the meeting, you said you’d be spending the day with Anqi.”

Kun nodded back, his phone started to vibrate on the table.

Doyoung’s eyes went to the screen and he saw Anqi’s name.

“You can pick that~” Doyoung paused when Kun got the phone and put it back in his coat pocket instead.

“We just had lunch.” He said, his tone a little gruff. Doyoung’s brows went up briefly, but he decided not to ask.

“Did something happen? Did the wine not suit her taste?” He said jokingly, Kun ignored his comment and then the doors suddenly opened.

Meiyin.

“Aeyoung-ah.”

The girl grinned at the two, the secretary backed away as Kun stood up from his seat.

“Did I disturb you two?”

“No, no, sit down.” Doyoung waved her over.

“Is something up?” Kun asked her as she sat down across him.

“No, I just wanted to thank you for the shed. The laborers are already beginning foundation work.” She begun, Doyoung smiled from his seat.

“I heard about the little party you threw for your mother’s fiancé earlier.” Kun said jokingly, she rolled her eyes at him.

“I had to get into his nerves like that. Show him what I can do.” She said to him, and then she paused when she noticed the photo on the table.

Kun followed her gaze and he paused.

“That…you got engaged?” Her eyes went to him, Doyoung shrunk on his seat. Aeyoung had noticed the photo Anqi placed on Kun’s table, it was a photo of them during their engagement party in Shanghai.

“I—I did.”

“Whoa.” She mused, then she studied the photo again.

“With Anqi? Oh my, how could you not tell me, Qian?”

“I didn’t think..it was important.”

Doyoung balked, and shook his head.

“Of course it is, Qian’s getting married. Now, I feel left out.” She joked before standing up, Kun bolted up as well.

“Where are you going?”

“Back to the office, I just dropped by to see you personally.” She patted Doyoung’s shoulder before turning for the doors, but Kun rushed towards her and took hold of her arm.

“Qian?” Aeyoung was blinking at him, Doyoung chewed on his lower lip as he watched the two.

“It was last year.” Kun blurted out, her brows went up and she nodded.

“How could you not invite me? We grew up together.” She made a face at him, but she was teasing. Kun’s brows furrowed.

“Hey, I’m joking. I’m happy for you, Qian. Best wishes.” Aeyoung gently shook his hand off her and patted his cheek.

“I’ll see you around.” She said before leaving the office. Kun let out a shaky breath before turning back to his table. Doyoung observed as his friend took his seat again and exhaled.

“I had a feeling you didn’t want her to know, but as to why,” Doyoung started to grin, Kun didn’t react, he simply glanced at the photo before putting it inside his drawer.

 

 

Aeyoung got in her car and placed her hands on the wheel before letting out a breath.

“Whoa, how did I not notice?” She blurted to herself, she took out her phone and opened a Chinese search engine, and then she started to type Kun and Anqi’s names.

And then, photos and articles popped up.

She flinched and put the phone away, she shook her head and started the engine.

“That’s why she’s always with him. Hmm, should I feel bad?” She murmured as she drove out of the basement, she pursed her lips briefly.

“Still, how could he not to tell me?” She muttered darkly as she stepped on the gas, and then her phone started to ring again.

“Jeno-yah, I’m on my way~”

“Noona, ma asked the kitchen not to serve you dinner.”

Aeyoung rolled her eyes and snorted.

“So, I left the house, can we eat outside instead?” Jeno asked.

“My ever so sweet and loyal little brother, of course we can eat outside. What do you feel like eating?”

“I’m already nearby the company, can you come pick me up?”

Aeyoung smiled before replying.

“I’ll drop by.”

“Noona, what you did today was kind of crazy. But it was the right thing, ma needs to learn how to listen.”

“I don’t think she’s heard us yet, I mean, look what happened? She wont let me eat.” She joked, Jeno grunted.

“Hey, do..you know that Kun’s engaged?”

There was a short pause from the other line, Aeyoung chewed on her lower lip.

“I heard about it, noona. Why? Didn’t Kun ge mention it to you?”

Aeyoung frowned before replying.

“No, I just found out today. I’m already nearby, see you.” Aeyoung ended the call and focused on the road again.

“Even my younger brother knows, how mean of you, Qian.”

 

 

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++