003

His Lucky Strike

 

Aeyoung looked at her mother as the elder tried to gather words, her lips pursed when no one answered her.

“You were forcing me to speak, and yet you seem to have nothing to say.” She chuckled in a humorless manner that made her younger brother panic. It even made her mother’s fiancé fidget on his seat.

“Aeyoung~”

“Well, I’m not really up for a meal.” She said as she put her napkin aside, she grabbed her purse.

“Daughter, let’s~”

“Let’s no, hw about that?” Aeyoung nodded at her as she stood up, she kicked the foot of Jeno’s chair and latter blinked at her.

“Would you rather stay here? I always told you not to eat with stray animals.” She said to him, her mother gasped at her words.

“Don’t speak like that, Aeyoung.” Her mother warned her, to which that made her eldest scoff.

Jiwook reached for the woman’s hand, trying to calm her.

“I can speak however I want, ma.”

“You!”

“Yes, me. The daughter you seem to have notified about your current life changing decisions, but if you really want to know what I think about this whole fiasco.”

“It’s quite similar to asking for trouble.” She stated flatly. Jiwook tried to open his mouth, but his sister managed to shush him with one look.

Jeno sighed, his sister turned her back to the table and marched away from them, the younger male scratched the back of his head and padded after her.

 

 

Kun watched from across the hall as Aeyoung reached the doors, but he didn’t miss how the corners of her lips were quirked up slightly.

He tilted his head, something was definitely up.

“That looked intense.” Taeyong commented, Kun went back to his plate.

“She still looks the same, if not, she’s gotten more beautiful.” Mina said in a soft tone, Doyoung grinned at her.

“It’s still a surprise you two got together. I mean, being teased a lot back in high school, and now, finally a couple.” He continued, Mina slapped his arm.

“Stop it.”

Taeyong chuckled and picked up his fork, Kun’s eyes went pass the older male’s shoulder and saw the Lee siblings stand outside the building.

And then he recognized one of the waiters approach Aeyoung, he handed her something small.

It was a men’s wallet.

Kun’s eyes narrowed briefly, then he glanced back at their table, their mother’s fiancé was checking the pockets of his tweed jacket.

The Qian heir’s eyes widened in realization, he turned his head to Aeyoung again. She was already holding onto the male’s driver’s license and other IDs. Jeno was staring back at her, probably just as surprised but not really.

Aeyoung was known for her being a little…reckless.

And then she turned her head, as if feeling his gaze on hers, Kun stared back at her. Her lips quirked up again, giving him a knowing smile.

Kun shook his head at her, not in a reprimanding manner, he was amused. And then her Corvette appeared by the curb, Aeyoung tossed the wallet to the trash bin and the siblings got in the vehicle.

Aeyoung, really.

Kun smiled to himself and picked up his utensils. He could hear from behind him, auntie Jing and her fiancé were asking the same waiter about the lost wallet.

“Why did it look like that she wasn’t okay with the engagement? I mean, we may not have been friends for that long, but she seemed in a bad mood.” Mina spoke, Kun turned to the other table and he looked at his friends.

“Well, what do you think that was?” Doyoung asked, still teasing.

“I think that the wallet will never be found.” Kun said with a small smile that confused his friends.

“But yes, she wasn’t in a good mood.”

 

 

Jeno held onto his seatbelt and his dear life as Aeyoung stepped on the gas.

“Noona, slow down.” He complained.

“Whoa, you have the guts to whine at me? You were just watching as things unfold and yet, not even one phone call or a text message to your sister?” She snapped at him, Jeno flinched.

“Jie, I didn’t know what to do, okay? I was confused as well, but school got me so busy and I would never imagine that she wouldn’t tell you.” Jeno explained, her sister switched lanes and glanced at him. She exhaled, typed in something on the car’s touch screen console, Jeno’s eyes went to the device.

It took three rings before her call was answered.

“I’m busy.” The male from the other line spoke.

“I need help on something. And I need to see you.” She demanded, Jeno recognized the street, Aeyoung was driving them home.

“Like I said, I’m busy.”

“I’m in town, you fool.” She snapped again, there was a short pause from the other line.

“I’ll swing by in an hour. Need anything?” He asked, Aeyoung smiled.

“Kim Jiwook. Thirty five years old. He lives in Songpa. And also, did I mention? He’s my mother’s fiancé.”

“Aeyoung-ah, you want me to look into him?”

“Why would I recite his details?” She replied, peeved. There was a sigh from the other line.

“Got it. I’ll call you as soon as I’m on my way.”

“You better be on your way now.” She said before ending the call, then she looked at Jeno.

“Well, you got anything else to tell me? A heads up or something?” She asked as they reached the house’s curb, then her eyes landed on the cherry Ferrari and a silver Jaguar sedan.

“It’s either mom suffered from a and bought one of those ugly red things, or you got drunk and purchased one.” She said as she slid down from the car, Jeno scratched the back of his head. He saw the staff hurry out of the house to greet her, but her eyes were on the Ferrari.

“Lee Jeno!”

“Noona, you should know that…that…Kim Jiwook’s living with…He resides in this house too.” Jeno said in a small voice, his sister turned to him, she closed her eyes briefly before speaking.

“Ahjussi,” She spoke, the driver moved forward.

“Get that out of my sight. Make sure the neighbors don’t see that tacky piece of crap. Please.” At least she was polite.

“Y—Yes, young miss.”

Aeyoung exhaled and walked towards the house, Jeno followed the girl.

“For how long?”

“About four months now, noona.”

Aeyoung nodded and went up to her room, Jeno winced as he heard the doors bang loudly.

“Young master?”

He turned his head, it was their head butler.

“Well, we better prepare for war, ahjussi. Noona…”

“It’s not us that has to prepare, sir.” The male said knowingly, Jeno walked with him.

“That man better start mentally preparing himself, I don’t think things will go as smoothly as he claims it will.”

Jeno shook his head.

“Your sister’s out to get him, huh?” He nudged the young heir.

Then they heard a loud rustling from the outside, Jeno saw from the windows a helicopter with a familiar logo on its tail land on their lawn.

“Oh my.” The butler spoke as he nodded for the other staff to welcome the guest.

“Send him in!” Aeyoung yelled from her room.

“Should I remind mister Kim to update his life insurance policies?” The old man murmured as he went down.

 

 

“Aeyoung,” The male siged as he walked into the room, the girl had already changed into sweats, her jetlagged finally taking over.

“What do you have?” She said from the sofa.

“Ten.” She said, the male grinned before giving her a quick hug.

“Well, apparently, his address…” He noticed the scowl on her face and shook his head.

“You already know where his new address is, got it.”

“I don’t even know this guy, why is my mother marrying him? He’s a complete total stranger!”

“Young, believe me, I know. I did ask about him, ran checks. And all I got is his name, the school where he graduated and his parents’ info.”

Aeyoung sighed and ran her fingers through her hair.

“But, why not~”

“Don’t tell me to give him a chance. Because I wasn’t even invited to this engagement party. I only got to find out about it because ma’s secretary sent me the guest list, and I’m pretty sure it was by accident!”

The male paused, he grew confused.

“Wait, so..you didn’t know anything? You weren’t aware?”

“Obviously.” She hissed back at him before picking up her tea.

“What else do you have?” She leaned back.

“He met your mother around six months ago, it was at one of those pool club events she goes to. He was there with his boss for work.” Ten said carefully.

“What does his family do? What do they own?”

“Uhm, Young-ah, he’s an accountant. His parents run a small mart outside of Seoul.”

“Okay, what about his boss?” She pressed, Ten chewed on the insides of his cheeks.

“Don’t make me say your full name.” She sighed at him, Ten noticed how dark the skin under her eyes were, it was a sure sign that Aeyoung was really bothered by all this.

“Ten my mother is going to get married and up till today, she seems to have no plans on telling me.” Aeyoung told him.

“Look, the way I see it, his previous job can offer you more details about him.”

“Previous?”

“Well, Aeyoung-ah,he works for the…he works for your company now.”

“What?!” Aeyoung screeched, she put her phone aside and shook her head.

“It happened just…four months ago, a few days before he moved here.” Ten said, trying to choose his words wisely.

“Oh my god, I was only gone for three years and..” She trailed off and pulled her hair away from her face.

“Well, who’s the old boss? Which firm was he working for before hopping in to my mother’s…company?”

“This may or may not be a problem to you,”

“Ten, I really have no time for all that right now. I need to get as many data about him before the party. Which is in ten days.”

“He used to work for Cathay Pacific’s Korean office, and also their sister company, China Air.”

“Kun?” She voiced out, Ten nodded back.

“Well things got easier.”

“Are you sure about that? You’re okay with calling Kun and asking him if he could help you out?”

She paused and tilted her head at him.

“We met earlier. He seems okay with it. Thank you, darling.” Aeyoung’s smile was genuine as she grabbed her phone and hopped towards the window.

And then she stopped and turned to her friend.

“I don’t have his number.” She blinked at him, Ten sighed and took his phone out.

“I’ll send it to you.”

“Great. Thanks.”

“You know most women would actually think extensively before giving their exes a call.” Ten called out from the sofa.

“Wei? Kun, it’s me.”

 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++