Chapter Fifteen

Captain Kwon
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

"I'm sorry, CPT. Kwon. We did our best but--"

 

Eunbi stared blankly at the soldier; she didn't understand what was written on Sakura's letter when she received it. She just suddenly shoved it inside her pocket and walked away; she abandoned her responsibilities that day and drove home.

 

"What are you doing here it isn't you--"

 

Eunbi walks past her father as soon as he opened the door for her, she went straight to her room, slammed the door shut and sat on the edge of her bed reading the letter more than 6 times before it sank into her.

 

"No, baby.”  She mumbled weakly, tracing her fingers on Sakura's doodle.

 

“Sakura, why!?" She screamed out with violence.

 

"Why are you doing this to me?!" Eunbi cried out in a desolate way that no one would even bare to listen for so long. She cleared table with her right arm, harshly. She didn’t mind the shattered vase, and picture frames on the floor.

 

"I trusted you!  You said you'll come back. You promised we will get married and we will live a happy life!" She punched the mirror that caused the bleeding on her hand. Mr. Kwon came rushing from the outside and hugged Eunbi from behind to stop her.

 

"Eunbi, stop.  Sakura wouldn't want to see you like this."

 

As soon as he heard what happened to Sakura, Eunbi was the first thing that came to his mind. He knew how much his daughter loves her girlfriend. They even plan the wedding before the deployment.

 

"Appa." Eunbi cried weakly, her voice full of hurt, she fell on her knees.

 

She was hurting.  It felt like every atom in her body screamed in unison, traumatised because she should exist breathe, and live without Sakura.

 

"She's my everything, Appa. She's my whole world."

 

 

 

 

Eunbi's puffy eyes showed as soon as she removes her black aviator glasses when she saw one of the captains who was part of the rescue operation, came down from the plane together with Hyewon on the wheelchair being pushed by one of the soldiers and Chaeyeon with a cast on her left hand.

 

She let out a deep sigh as she stood straight trying to hold herself with the little energy she has left whilst waiting for Sakura's body at the tarmac together with their families as well as Hyewon and Chaeyeon's parents.

 

 

The two captains approached her; their heads hung low with tears rolling down their cheeks. "Unnie…" Hyewon calls softly, her eyes look downward, ashamed of herself for not being able to help Sakura, she tried to stand but Eunbi pushed back her shoulders and kneel, she wipes her best friend's tears.

 

"I'm glad you're safe." She said sincerely though her heart is breaking, though she is half dying that Sakura didn't come back with them alive.

 

"Unnie, I'm sorry. It's my fault." Chaeyeon said between her sobs.

 

"They went back but it's too late."

 

Eunbi stood up and shushed Chae, she hugs her tight and patted her back.

 

"It's breaking me that she isn't with you but I'm glad Sakura was able to save both of you, I know she's happy that both of you were able to survive.

 

She turns her eyes to Hyewon and squeezed her hand, "And I know that no matter what happens Sakura will choose it this way. She will save you over and over again in a heartbeat even though it means to sacrifice her own life."

 

Eunbi felt someone pats her shoulders and found it's Mrs. Miyawaki. She flashed a weak smile to Hyewon and Chaeyeon before she makes her way towards the waiting hearse; Sakura's coffin was covered by their country's flag.

 

One of the Captains removes his beret; his expression is full of regrets.

 

"Salute! It was an honour to fly home with Captain Miyawaki Sakura. Please accept our deepest condolences." He gave Sakura's military dog tag to Mrs. Miyawaki but the woman places it on Eunbi's hand, tears rolling down her cheeks Eunbi stood straight and salute in front of Sakura's coffin.

 

"Salute!" She managed to let out between her sobs, her voice came out loud.

"It was an honour to serve with you!" Her body shaking, the weeks of not getting enough sleep and 2 weeks of mourning is taking a toll on her.

 

"I'm- I'm so proud of you. You will always be the captain I will look up to."

 

Her vision became blurry but it isn't because of the tears that filled her eyes, her heart pounded loudly in her chest, her consciousness floating, voices echoed in her ears, her

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter