Chapter One

Captain Kwon
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Sakura woke up to the loud buzz coming from her alarm, with her eyes still closed she reached for the phone under her pillow and turned off the alarm with a swipe.

 

After a couple of minutes of doing nothing but to stare at the ceiling, Sakura kneeled on her bed, she closed her eyes and clasped her hands in a praying position.

 

"Please don't ever let me die in there," she whispered the prayer more than 5 times before deciding to start preparing for the day.


 

Sakura's parents divorced 3 years ago and she chose to go with her mom in South Korea which she is starting to regret right now because of the mandatory military service. Since she became a citizen a couple of years ago she was required to enlist and will need to stay in the academy for several months to be trained for the armed forces.

 

She tried to avoid it so many times but this time she can't. The Korea Military Academy sent a letter addressed to her mother about her enlistment date, there was no way for her to be exempted not unless she is terminally ill or disabled.


She's 20 yrs old she should have 4 years more to enjoy before enlisting but she didn't know what happened.


Sakura knows that she was never good with anything related to physical activities, she failed her P.E subject twice in Japan back in high school and if she's not homeschooled and chose to study in a regular Korean school she's sure she would fail P.E as well, that's how bad she is. Another problem of her is the language, she can only speak and write basic Korean.


"Mom, I don't want to do this, please. I can't mom. Let's just go home." she pleads.


"You will learn a lot here, Sakura. You will be more disciplined, I'm telling you. Just do your best." Her mom answered while rolling the luggage to Sakura.

 

"But mom I--"


"Stop it, Sakura. This is why all your cousins think that you're a spoiled brat. Just endure everything. Hwaiting!"

 

I'm gonna die here mom, you'll lose your only daughter.


Sakura heaved a deep sigh before turning around to go further inside the camp.


Okay! You can do this. Let's look for the admission area.


The academy is really big. It has an oval with a soccer field in the middle, there are more or less 50 female soldiers doing their morning jog. She looked around pulling her luggage until she saw a female soldier with a clipboard who she thinks is assigned to welcome those who are conscripted into the army like her.


"Name?" the female soldier asked, not even bothering to look at her.

 

"Miyawaki Sakura."

 

The soldier marked Sakura's name with a check before instructing her to wait at the side.


All in all, there are 10 of them who are going to be trained here. About 15minutes of waiting, the soldier asked them to form a single file line, they were told that she will be the one who will facilitate their physical test for that day.

 

"Ehhhhhh?" It's too late for Sakura to control herself, the words were already out of even before she realized.


"Is there a problem, Ms. Miyawaki?" the soldier's stare is so intense that she gulped in nervousness and avoided the eye contact because it made her uncomfortable.


They marched their way to the oval, the soldier explained that they need to do two tests. The first one is sit-ups, they have to be able to complete 70 of it. And the second is running, they need to run for three laps.

 

I'm so dead! I can't even run. 70 sit-ups? Run for 3 laps? Seriously? And to think that this is only the beginning is really scaring me. 


Sakura couldn't believe that they're going to do a series physical test at 6:00 in the morning, she was so busy doing an internal monologue that she almost didn't notice the tall girl holding a stopwatch standing beside her.

 

"I'm Squad Leader, Kang Hyewon. I'll count the sit-ups and monitor your time," Hyewon introduced herself with an impassive expression, she didn't even bother to look at Sakura.

 

"Uh. Okay." she bowed her head a little, she doesn't really have any idea how to properly respond to someone who works in the military.


After 13 minutes, Sakura's body gave up. She laid flatly on the grass catching her breath. She felt like her body is 20 kilos heavier, she can't even lift up her head.


"Quitting doesn't exist in this academy! Get up and complete the exercise." Sakura almost got startled when the squad leader started yelling at her. She tried her best to sat up but she fell right back down.


Ugh, how dare you to shout at me?!


Hyewon took a good look at Sakura, her pale white skin now already flushed because of the heat, her bob cut hair that's now wet from sweating too much, the way her chest rises and falls quickly while catching her breath, surely reminded her of her first day in the military a few years ago. She glanced to the recruits who are done and asked for anyone who's willing to help Sakura.


"I'm Yabuki Nako. I'll help her."

 

Sakura glanced at Nako and flashed a thankful smile. She highly appreciates how she volunteered to help her finish the test.


Nako stood over her head. Once Sakura tried to lift her body, she supported her back and pushed it upwards while shouting encouraging her.


"Sakura, Nara dekiruyo!" (Sakura, you can do it!)


She almost got deaf but it comforts her that there's a Japanese girl who cheered her and helped her until she finishes the sit-ups.

 


13 minutes into running and non-stop shouting by the officer, she was able to finish the 2nd lap.


1 lap to go, kkura! You can do it! She cheered herself while trying to catch her breath.

 

All her efforts in cheering herself didn't do anything at all, she still feels tired as ever, she can't even lift her foot. 

 

"I'll call Captain Kwon. Prepare yourself." Hyewon informed her.


Sakura blinked several times, confused.

 

Kwon? Should I be scared? Who is this Kwon?


She stood up trying her best not to fall, her hair felt like it's plastered on her scalp, her clothes are drenched, droplets of sweats came running down on her face invading her eyes and her cheeks are already red from exhaustion and heat.


"You are not here to rest! 1 lap to go, Cadet Miyawaki!" A voice yelled to her.


She was greeted by the sight of beauty when she turned her head to look at her.  Sakura thinks that the girl doesn't look like someone from the military, she looks more like an actress or an idol who's cosplaying as a military officer.

 

black beret, chocolate-colored alluring eyes, rosy cheeks, plumped kissable pinkish-red lips, and a big heart- wait.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter