Abandoned

When I Look At You - A ChanSoo Fan Fiction
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kyungsoo thought to cook vongole pasta for Chanyeol the next day, which was a Saturday, to celebrate ChanSoo’s debut performance the night before. They were asked to participate in next week’s talent show and this time, it was Kyungsoo who agreed to do so.

 

Just as he was packing a couple of food containers, separating the spaghetti and the clams, Yixing hyung was signaling at him, while his phone was pressed on his ear as he buttoned up his pristine, crisp white shirt that he wore to work at the same time.

 

Kyungsoo heard hyung agreeing in Japanese and then ended the call.

 

“We need your help, Kyungsoo-yah. Gloria, our head chef, had to fly back to Mexico for a family emergency. A head chef in one of the branches would fly in to take her place this weekend, as the board of directors of Seomse will also be dining in the Tokyo branch tonight, as per schedule. Mr. Rodgers is expecting us to come in about an hour’s time,” Yixing hyung was saying in one breath and then gulped down his green smoothie in a flourish for energy. “Are you feeling well enough to go back to work, at least for this weekend?”

 

“O-Of course,” Kyungsoo consented, silently reminding himself to call Park sajangnim later, in case he was waiting for him to come today. He had no choice but to stock the pasta in the fridge for now. “I’ll change into my uniform.”

 

After 45 minutes, the two friends were welcomed by the operations manager, who was looking at the sous chef apologetically. “I’m so sorry, Kyungsoo. I know you’re still supposed to be on leave.”

 

“It’s no problem, sir,” Kyungsoo answered diligently.

 

Mr. Rodgers was explaining that they have excess ingredients from yesterday and that he was ordering more beef and chicken in the afternoon. “We do need someone who would take charge of the kitchen from lunch until the head chef comes in this afternoon, and I understand you have been mentored well by Gloria?”

 

Kyungsoo was already going into authority mode in his mind, recalling every single instruction he had ever received from Seomse Tokyo’s head chef, who had patiently taught him everything she knew and more. He would give the same reverence in running her kitchen as she would, as if she were physically there. “Yes, sir, I understand.”

 

Tony squeezed Kyungsoo’s shoulder and nodded at Yixing as few of the kitchen staff smiled and greeted Kyungsoo and welcomed him back. Yixing gave Kyungsoo a final smile and went to his post.

 

He put on his chef’s hat and began with slicing up vegetables and ingredients to prep, especially for the board of the directors’ dinner that Saturday night, where a private room was reserved for such occasions. While he was busy concentrating, until a few lunch orders from patrons came in, he vaguely heard the other workers gossiping that another Tokyo branch was going to open soon, due to the success of this branch.

 

When Kyungsoo was working, he never talked, unless absolutely necessary. He slaved over the hot stove, not even noticing that sweat was running down the sides of his face, as he flipped the shellfish on the skillet and added white wine to dispel of the smell.

 

He was so focused that he was unaware that the head chef had arrived. He had plated the rib-eye steak with creamy mustard sauce to perfection when a familiar voice made the hair at the back of his neck stand up.

 

“Jagiya.”

 

Kyungsoo’s hands froze, thankful that he didn’t drop the plate that he so carefully arranged for an order. He swallowed and immediately handed it to the one of the staff members, who then endorsed it to a waiter.

 

He turned around and found himself gazing into the eyes of Jae-wook sunbaenim.

 

So he was the head chef replacing Ms. Gloria temporarily?

 

Brilliant.

 

“Sunbaenim,” Kyungsoo acknowledged and then walked past him to check the next order, which was salmon fillet and baked asparagus. He asked the assistant cook to get him the fillet from the freezer.

 

“Jagiya,” Jae-wook called again but Kyungsoo was already busy heating another pan with oil on it. “I’ve tried messaging you but you never answered since we saw each other almost two weeks ago.”

 

Kyungsoo did see the messages but simply chose not to reply. From the last conversation they had, when he sent sunbaenim off at the airport, Kyungsoo was only left feeling disappointed and alone and helpless by the situation. He understood why getting back together was not the best idea at the moment, but at the same time, it hurt him so very deeply.

 

Then the accident occurred immediately after, causing him to become too preoccupied and worried and despaired by what happened to Park sajangnim and how he was the cause of the CEO’s blindness…

 

And to confide to Jae-wook sunbaenim didn’t seem… appropriate or right, since he didn’t know what their status was.

 

Were they even still a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter