ChanSoo

When I Look At You - A ChanSoo Fan Fiction
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“You know you really should patent these, Kyungsoo-yah,” Chanyeol murmured, not caring if he had a mouthful of Kyungsoo’s SOO CHEF takoyaki while doing so.

 

“Aniyo,” Kyungsoo replied, gently wiping the sauce dripping from the side of the CEO’s mouth.

 

Chanyeol took hold of Kyungsoo’s small hand. “I’m serious. I know you made it for Seomse’s menu, and now we’re replicating the recipe but it’s originally your idea. And the SOO Chef concept is pretty clever, actually. You should patent that, too.”

 

“It’s okay,” Kyungsoo insisted, as Park sajangnim asked for another piece. He thought to bring Chanyeol food a couple of days later, as they were working on his song lyrics today and managed to finish one whole verse. So aside from guiding him in his therapy sessions and practicing songs for Friday with him, the CEO asked him to sing the newly composed verse and record it.

 

Kyungsoo had to admit—it did help calm down his anxiety in singing. Plus, the new song sounded awesome… not that it would ever see the light of day…

 

“No, please. I write songs, and I immediately file for copyright everytime I complete one. If it’s going to make me money, and I plan on selling and publishing it, then the copyright will serve as my protection that it’s me who owns it first.” Chanyeol sighed, as Kyungsoo only poised the rim of the bottled water to his lips. He gulped some and then continued speaking, “At least… just think about what I said.”

 

“De, alget-seumida.” Kyungsoo had to smile. No one ever believed in him as much as Park sajangnim did, to the point that he thought the CEO was probably also feeling guilty for having to rely on him and he was merely repaying Kyungsoo with endless compliments. (Yes, I understand.)

 

Chanyeol strummed the guitar again, after he finished having his takoyaki snack. Kyungsoo was tidying up when Chanyeol casually sang lines from “Love Yourself” and soon after, Kyungsoo joined him.

 

The door on his hospital suite opened and Kyungsoo’s eyes widened.

 

“That sounded wonderful!” Mrs. Park enthused, as Kyungsoo immediately helped her with her shopping bags and food containers.

 

Kyungsoo also bowed to Taeyeon-ssi, who smiled gently at him.

 

Chanyeol grinned. “Actually, I wanted you, Omma, and Taeyeon-ssi to be the first to hear one of the songs we’re singing on Friday. We’ve only started rehearsing yesterday, but we will really appreciate if you let us know what you think.”

 

Kyungsoo’s heart pounded like a sledgehammer as Mrs. Park and Taeyeon-ssi settled themselves on the couch—a mere few feet away—and looked at them eagerly.

 

“Kyungsoo-yah?” Chanyeol called softly. “Ready?”

 

“Uh…” Kyungsoo gulped. He knew “Love Yourself” by heart, since he was a big Justin Bieber fan and it was a staple on his Spotify. However, the Korean lyrics Park sajangnim just composed for his new song was also still very fresh in his mind…

 

“Gwaenchanah,” Mrs. Park encouraged, noticing how the sous chef became frozen in place and his small face was turning pallid. “No need to be nervous. It’s just us.”

 

Kyungsoo nodded, simultaneously closing his eyes. He just had to remember to sing in English, and everything would be just fine.

 

Chanyeol hit his knuckle on the wooden panel of the Fender, as if to signal to Kyungsoo, and then he started as Kyungsoo heaved a deep breath and opened the song:

 

For all the times that you rained on my parade

And all the clubs you get in using my name

You think you broke my heart, oh, girl, for goodness’ sake,

You think I’m crying on my own, well, I ain’t

 

Then came in Chanyeol:

 

And I didn’t want to write a song

‘Cause I didn’t want anyone thinking I still care

I don’t, but you still hit my phone up

And baby, I be moving on

And I think you should be something I don’t wanna hold back

Maybe you should know that

 

And seamlessly, their harmonies blended:

 

My mama don’t like you, and she likes everyone

And I never like to admit that I was wrong

And I’ve been so caught up in my job, didn’t see what’s going on

And now I know

 

Kyungsoo:

I’m better sleeping on my own

 

Chanyeol:

And if you like the way you look that much

Oh baby, you should go and love yourself

 

Together:

And if you think that I’m still holding on to something

You should go and love yourself

 

And Chanyeol continued to play the acoustics.

 

“Kyungsoo-ssi, open your eyes.”


Kyungsoo did at Mrs. Park’s request and his vision gradually appropriated itself to their audiences’ wide smiles. Mrs. Park and Taeyeon-ssi then clapped vigorously, like two proud parents watching their lovely children’s performance.

 

Kyungsoo bowed to them shyly in gratitude. His throat felt a little parched, though, so he reached for a water bottle to take a sip.

 

“Kyungsoo-ssi, you should sing lead to all the songs,” Mrs. Park complimented, still clapping. “I wonder if we could get you a record deal. Maybe I’ll be your manager?”

 

“Aniyo, Omma, I discovered him first,” Chanyeol instantly argued.

 

“Mian-hae, adul, Kyungsoo-ssi sings much better than you do.”

 

Kyungsoo sputtered water that didn’t make it all the way to his esophagu

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter