Out in the Sun

When I Look At You - A ChanSoo Fan Fiction
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

It felt like he was trapped in a dream-fog state. He could hear vague voices from a few feet away but for some reason, his eyes remained sealed shut.

 

It wasn’t like opening his eyes would help anyway. Even sleeping, he still couldn’t see.

 

His mother was talking, perhaps greeting someone.

 

“I’m glad you’re here. Chanyeollie is just taking a nap now, but he’s had his breakfast already. How about you, Kyungsoo-ssi?”

 

Kyungsoo?

 

He came back?

 

“Is that kimchi jjigae?” (kimchi stew) His mother was asking, could hear the delight in her voice. “May I try some?”

 

Chanyeol heard some agreeable murmuring.

 

“Omo!” Mrs. Park exclaimed. “You should include this in Seomse’s menu, Kyungsoo-ssi! This is incredible!”

 

Chanyeol strained to listen to Kyungsoo’s shy chuckle and something about it being his mother’s recipe.

 

It IS Kyungsoo! He’s here! Chanyeol thought happily, a smile almost forming on his lips.

 

He stirred, his eyes—although he could only perceive white everywhere—fluttered as he tried to sit up.

 

He froze when he heard another male voice, greeting his mother.

 

Who was that?

 

The voice was softer than Jae-wook hyung’s—much to Chanyeol’s relief. It was quite melodious actually, like the man could instinctively carry a tune.

 

It sounded familiar to him, though… like he had spoken to him before.

 

But who…?

 

“There aren’t any issues with Seomse Tokyo, Mrs. Park,” the melodious male voice was saying. “Everything is running smoothly…”

 

“That is good to know, Yixing-ssi,” his mom replied.

 

“Zhang Yixing?” Chanyeol spoke tentatively, remembering having met him briefly during his site visit. “Our maître d?”

 

Kyungsoo, Yixing and Mrs. Park all looked at Chanyeol in surprise.

 

“Adul! You’re awake!” Mrs. Park exclaimed, going to Chanyeol’s side.

 

“De, Park sajangnim,” Yixing answered courteously, still a bit jarred to see the Seomse CEO lying on the hospital, despite Mr. Rodgers already briefing the staff yesterday about the delicate situation and advised every employee to be discreet about it. It was merely days ago that Park Chanyeol—healthy, amicable and with perfect vision—visited Seomse Tokyo and dined there. “Annyeong-haseayo.”

 

Chanyeol echoed the greeting to him.

 

The confused expression on Chanyeol’s face made Kyungsoo reply. “Yixing hyung is my roommate, Park sajangnim. It is convenient since we both work in Seomse Tokyo.”

 

“Chanyeollie.”

 

And he turned his head to the direction of his mother’s voice.

 

“Kyungsoo and Yixing brought you a bowl of kimchi stew. You should try some, while it’s still warm. I have to talk to headquarters today, so I need to hold a meeting through a video conference.” Then Mrs. Park regarded Kyungsoo. “Can you stay with Chanyeol until the meeting is over, Kyungsoo-ssi?”

 

“I can stay with him as long as he needs me,” Kyungsoo promised.

 

Mrs. Park smiled, greatly relieved. “I should be back in about two hours, just in time for his check up later.”

 

Then Chanyeol felt his mother’s lips on his cheek. “Be good, adul.”

 

Chanyeol grimaced. “I’m always good, Omma.”

 

Mrs. Park laughed, as Kyungsoo and Yixing tried to hide their own laughter at this cute mother-and-son display.

 

Yixing subtly cleared his throat. “I’ll be heading out as my shift will start soon. I hope you feel better, Park sajangnim.”

 

“Kamsa-hamnida, Yixing-ssi,” Chanyeol told him graciously, although not sure which direction he should face. But then, the maître d might have been aware of his condition by now. He could recall what Yixing looked like. He was handsome and neat and graceful. Chanyeol remembered that the customers commended Yixing frequently, quite an asset to Seomse. “Keep up the good work.”

 

His cheeks turned ruddy unexpectedly. Even if the CEO couldn’t see it, he was still flattered and embarrassed just the same. “Thank you, Park sajangnim, thank you.” And with that Yixing said his goodbyes and bowed low. Mrs. Park told him to wait for her, and even offered to drop Yixing off to Seomse Tokyo on her way, much to his surprise and gratitude.

 

Chanyeol could feel that Kyungsoo was still beside him, and his hand coincidentally landed on Kyungsoo’s wrist.

 

How petite was Kyungsoo, though? Chanyeol’s own wrist must have been double its size.

 

“D-Do you need anything?” Kyungsoo asked nervously.

 

“Omma was saying something about kimchi jjigae?” He could smell its inviting aroma in the air, and despite the breakfast he just had less than hour ago, he was feeling hungry.

 

Kyungsoo had to grin, thankful that bringing Park sajangnim and his mother a bowl of it wasn’t as meager or as silly as he initially thought. He’d made it for supper last night after Yixing hyung and Junmyeon hyung woke him up in worry, realizing that he had been sleeping for 12 straight hours. So accompanied by the piping hot kimchi stew that made every streak of fatigue from his body disappear, he’d told his hyungs everything that happened in the past three days—his worries, his guilt, his intention to repay everyone’s kindness somehow…

 

So he pulled out Chanyeol’s food tray and placed the bowl of the stew in front of him, placing a spoon in Chanyeol’s right hand.

 

The aroma was very fragrant now, and Chanyeol wanted to plunge in it. The smell was so pleasant, and comforting...

 

Just like… home.

 

The last time he’d had this was just before he enlisted in the army. He requested jjigae to his mother when they had their final dinner before he entered the camp.

 

It was also the last time that he’d had dinner with his father…

 

Kyungsoo guided his hand to dip in the bowl, only Chanyeol spilled a bit on the edge.

 

“I’ll help you,” Kyungsoo whispered, hoping not to offend the CEO. He took the spoon gently from him and scooped up some broth and cabbage, bringing it to Chanyeol’s lips.

 

The spices, the tanginess and the myriad of flavors exploded into Chanyeol’s senses that he thought he saw COLORS.

 

What the...?

 

Were there drugs in this stew?!

 

Kyungsoo was chagrined by the way Chanyeol’s almond-shaped eyes grew rounder, his irises becoming dilated as he chewed slowly, as if about to eject whatever was in his mouth.

 

This was the first time Kyungsoo had received this kind of bizarre reaction from any dish he ever served…

 

Kyungsoo found a paper bag and poised it just below Chanyeol’s chin, in case the CEO wanted to regurgitate.

 

Gradually, Chanyeol’s vision returned to its bright whiteness—which meant that the extremely delightful dish was not the miracle cure he was hoping for, unfortunately—as he asked Kyungsoo for another bite.

 

Surprised, Kyungsoo did his bidding.  He became even more surprised when the CEO h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter