For Life

When I Look At You - A ChanSoo Fan Fiction
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Because of the sudden improvement of Chanyeol able to discern shadows or at least the shape of them, Dr. Watanabe and his team decided to transition him to a different set of therapy, while working on his recognition of light. That Monday morning, they found out that his eyes still didn’t react to light directly but the dark outlines of objects in front of him were getting ever so slowly more defined. 

 

After therapy, Mrs. Park and Taeyeon-ssi had to use the hospital’s conference room to hold a video meeting with Seomse’s directors, so Kyungsoo led Chanyeol back to his room as Chanyeol continued to use his cane, as it was almost time for his lunch anyway.

 

He could see the shadows of the hallway, so the walk wasn’t too strenuous for him, but he still relied on Kyungsoo in case he bumped into something. He tried not to lean too much on his smaller frame, though.

 

On the way there, Kyungsoo was telling him that there was a grand piano in the recreation room that no one seemed to be playing.

 

“There’s a piano here?” Chanyeol echoed.

 

“D-Do you want to go there?”

 

Chanyeol smiled, already steering the cane towards that direction. The recreation room was empty, except for a kindly elderly janitor who was mopping the floor. Kyungsoo asked if they could come in, and the janitor nodded and smiled.

 

Kyungsoo and Chanyeol thanked the janitor. The sous chef helped the CEO to sit properly on the cushioned rectangular piano seat, taking his cane. Chanyeol reverently placed his fingers on the keys, which were in black and white so he could pretty much see them.

 

He tickled the ivory up to the high C note, a grin spreading on his face. He relished on playing the piano again, a passion he nearly had taken for granted, pre-accident, thinking that it was something he would always be able to do.  Granted that he had memorized where to hit the notes and clefs he needed, even his foot would instinctually step on the right pedal, being able to make out the shape and dimension of the keys and his own fingers too, gave him a feeling of a precious, second lease in life. 

 

He scooted over to the left, and then patted the space next to him, silently asking Kyungsoo to take a seat.

 

Kyungsoo looked at him, stunned for a second, and sat tentatively, making sure to leave at least a couple of inches between them, so that Park sajangnim could play comfortably.

 

“You’ve heard of EXO?” Chanyeol asked just then, playing a sublime tune that could have come straight from the heavens.

 

Kyungsoo had to chuckle. “Who hasn’t? Growl has become Korea’s national anthem!”

 

“The lyrics I’m working on right now are for a song that I’m writing for them. I was introduced to the member Kai through a couple of friends, and he said he would hear the song out once finished,” Chanyeol shared, continuing to play the mesmerizing melody with his skillful fingers. “It's been months and we only have up to the first chorus, so I don’t know if he would still be interested.”

 

Kyungsoo was already impressed. “The lyrics are coming together. It’s about pining away and unrequited love, so people would relate to it.” He bit his lip, suddenly realizing he was giving away his own projections. The song Chanyeol was playing was beginning to sound familiar. “T-That’s ‘For Life’, right?”

 

Chanyeol nodded, grinning until his dimple dug deep into his left cheek. “Will you sing for me?”

 

Kyungsoo blinked.

 

“Please…?” Chanyeol requested, turning his face slightly towards Kyungsoo’s. He didn’t know why he felt almost shy, all of a sudden. Perhaps it was because the sous chef… was too close. “M-Maybe we can sing it on Friday, too?”

 

Silence.

 

Chanyeol resorted to playing the opening chords again as he anticipated Kyungsoo’s answer. He would understand if the sous chef refused. It wasn’t the easiest song to sing, even with Kyungsoo’s versatile vocal range. However, it was a song that Chanyeol often practiced on a piano because of its romantic, enchanting tones. It remained one of his most favorite EXO songs, ever.

 

“We… would have to borrow this piano then, if… we decide on this song.”

 

Chanyeol laughed out loud. Kyungsoo was worried about that? “Or we can use something that wouldn’t be so hard to carry. An electronic organ, maybe?”

 

“I… only know the English version, is that okay?”

 

Chanyeol immediately agreed. “Even better!” Kyungsoo had such impeccable English enunciation so he preferred it, actually. Also the member D.O was the only one singing it, which would entail Kyungsoo to sing solo too. He smiled, infinitely pleased, as he continued playing the melody. “Whenever you’re ready.”

 

Kyungsoo eventually recomposed himself, as the soothing instrumental waited for him. What did he have to be afraid of, really? The janitor had already gone for his lunch break, leaving just the two of them there.

 

Kyungsoo did think to turn on the recording function on his phone, so he could play it back later to evaluate himself. He sat up straight, and closed his eyes.

 

 

A serene feeling came over him, completely consoled and invigorated by Park sajangnim’s patient and calming energy, the way

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter