Chapter 8

Eyes Like Hers
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

March 2019

 

“How about we hold a bake sale and give our proceeds to the LGBT Youth Center in Downtown LA?” Denise asked the group. It had been the third official meeting of the GSA club and I had decided to allow them to run the group themselves, only giving my opinion when it was asked. The small group muttered and groaned and I suppressed a smile.

“Okay then, does anyone have anything that they think would benefit the community?” Denise glanced from each student. I had been surprised when the first group came in. We had only had five students initially sign up, but as each meeting progressed, more and more students joined. We were now at fifteen and most of them seemed to be truly interested in the club.

“I saw Bryan talking down to a freshman in gym class the other day. I had to step in only to be called a flamer.” Brandon’s eyes rolled. “Maybe we can get together an assembly about bullying. You know, maybe talk about how it impacts peoples’ lives and how to handle a bully when you see them.” Brandon looked around the room as the students’ interests perked.

“That would actually be pretty cool,” a young woman shouted from the back. “We can each talk about a time we were called a name or bullied about something out of our control.”

As the students rolled off ideas Denise looked at me and smiled. I gave her a quick thumbs up.

“Do you think that would really work though? I mean this is all coming from a bunch of gay kids who don’t even really matter much in the school. Who is really going to listen to us?”

I saw Denise give me a look of desperation as the students all started to agree. I could feel the previous excited mood exchange with something more somber and I stood up toward the front of the class.

“How about you guys petition to some of our local government agents or school board to talk to the students. There is always a story in every person’s life about being bullied or being witness to something dealing with it. I’m sure if you asked as many people as possible you would get a few that would be willing to do it.”

“What about you Ms. Kim?” Denise asked.

“Me?” My eyes widened as I stared over the room at expectant eyes.

“Yeah. Would you have something to share? You’re one of the best teachers in the school and a lot of kids look up to you.” I saw the kids all nod in agreement to Denise’s statement. It was common knowledge that I was well liked amongst the students but I didn’t know if I wanted to throw my dirty laundry out there.

“Well, I don’t…” As I kept my gaze amongst the students something inside of me cracked. These kids who were only ten years younger than myself had enough courage to want to stand in front of a group filled with their peers to try and change even one person’s outlook on life. I sighed as I just nodded my head. “Of course.” The class cheered as they quickly start

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter