Chapter 16

Eyes Like Hers
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Principal Williams?” I knocked on the door and heard a ‘come in’. I entered the large office as Jonathan Williams stood, shaking my hand and inviting me to sit.

“Jennie, hello. What can I help you with?”

I opened my mouth and then closed it not knowing how to start. After speaking with Bom and letting her know our predicament she had decided that coming out as Randle was the best option as well. She had gotten the ball rolling and we even had a date set of when my outing would be. I couldn’t think of that now though, as I sat in front of my boss and fought with how I would tell him. Bom had offered to be a representative but I declined. Jonathan was always a very understanding man. I just hoped this went my way.

“Jennie? Are you alright?”

I shook my head as I took a deep breath. “Jonathan, I need to tell you something and I’m hoping we will be able to work something out.” I watched him scrunch his face up in confusion as I continued. “First, let me start off by saying that it’s nothing bad, well, I don’t think it’s anything bad.” He nodded his head telling me to continue.

“Do you remember me telling you that Lalisa Manoban was friends with Randle Gooding?”

“Yes, I do.” His eyes lit up. “Is he planning to give another donation to the school?”

I laughed nervously as my smile faltered. “No. Well, I’m sure that it would be considered but…” I paused. “I am Randle Gooding.” I waited for the words to register. Again his face scrunched up in confusion.

“You’re Randle Gooding?” He parroted. I chewed on my lip as I waited for the words to sink in further.

“I wrote the first Breakaway novel when I was a teenager and the book was a hit. I had decided to stay anonymous because I didn’t want to be a part of the whole celebrity of it all.” I waited to see if he was understanding what I was saying. He nodded his head as he tried to comprehend the words.

“Well, I am planning to release my identity and I wanted you to know first. I know that there will probably be a lot of media involved and…”

“You’re Randle Gooding?” I tried to stop the eye roll from happening. Maybe I should have had Bom here to help me.

“Yes, Jonathan. I know it may sound ridiculous and I’ve been portrayed as a recluse…a male recluse but that was all a part of the identity I established to make sure I would stay anonymous.”

“And now you’re planning on coming out? I don’t understand why I would need to know this?”

I breathed in deeply. “There has been a lot of people wondering who Randle Gooding is. It won’t take them too long to find out where I work and since this is a public school, the media will be all over the place. It will be great publicity for the school but I’m concerned with how the students and parents will react. It will be crazy for a while.”

His mouth formed an ‘oh’ and he nodded. “And you’re worried about your position?” I nodded my head. “Okay, let me think for a moment.” Jonathan stood as he started to pace. “You’re a great teacher, J. You’re one of my best and I don’t want to see you leave.” My shoulders visibly relaxed. “But I understand what you’re saying. When the media catches wind that you work here they’ll be relentless won’t they?”

“I don’t want to stop teaching, Jonathan. I love it, I really do.”

“I understand that, J. What do you suggest?”

I ran through every scenario in my head but only one came up to be the best for both of us. I drew a deep breath, “Would you be willing to give me a leave until the start of the new school year? I know that it’s short notice and I’ll understand if you’re not interested in this but I don’t know how long it will take for the media to die down. There are only a few more months left until the end of the year and I won’t be able to do summer classes but maybe, by the start of the new semester everything will be back to normal.” I held my breath not knowing if he would take the offer. He would have to find a new teacher for the rest of the year and I couldn’t guarantee that the media wouldn’t be hounding him about Randle Gooding.

He nodded his head as he considered it. “I’ll tell you what. Let me think it over and talk to the board and I’ll let you know. How long do I have?” I swallowed as the date circled through my mind.

“My publishing company is holding a conference this Sunday.” His eyes widened. It was less than a week away but he nodded none the less.

“That doesn’t give me much time but I understand.” He shook his head and then smiled. “Wow, all this time Randle Gooding was teaching in my school and I had no idea.”

I smirked. “That was the point.” He cocked an eyebrow as I stood.

“You know I’ll keep whatever was said in this meeting between us, right?” I nodded my head, trusting that he wouldn’t but also not caring if he did. This time next week, everyone would know who Randle Gooding was.

 

***

 

“Hey,” I heard Lisa’s voice over the phone and immediately smiled. “How’d it go?”

I groaned as I made my way through the local Starbucks, catching the time on my watch and noting that Joy would be here in about ten minutes. “It went okay. He was surprised but that was a given.”

“What did he say?”

“He said he’s going to think about it and then get back to me.” My throat burned as tears threatened to spill. I hadn’t wanted to put my career on the line but I always knew it was a possibility. Just thinking that I may not ever be able to return to teaching at GHHS was enough for me to want to breakdown and cry.

“I’m sure he’ll really consider it, J. There would be no reason why he wouldn’t want you teaching at that school. You’re the best.”

I drew in a deep breath. “Yeah, well. You’re biased. And I guess, whatever happens it will be okay.” I heard her hum in agreement.

“Where are you now?” She asked. I looked over to the door and saw Joy enter. She scanned the tables and found me but motioned that she was going to order first. I nodded as I answered Lisa’s question.

“I’m at Starbucks, hoping that my best friend won’t denounce me for what I’m about to tell her.” I groaned as I imagined all the ways that this could possibly end.

“Don’t worry about it, J. She’ll understand.”

hope so,” I said softly.

“I know so.” She responded. I sighed as I finally hung up with Lisa and watched an excited Joy sit across from me.

“Hey, what’s up?” She took a sip of her latte and regarded my tense expression. Her eyes softened. “Are you okay? Did something happen with you and Lisa?”

I shook my head as the tears that were threatening to spill did. I wiped them away quickly as I straightened my back.

“I have to tell you something and I don’t know how you’re going to respond.” Joy gave me a crooked smile, trying to comfort me.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter