Chapter 14

Eyes Like Hers
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

September 2019

 

I took a step up to Lisa’s door and raised to knock but held back. I looked over my shoulder at Joy and breathed out. “There’s something I should probably tell you before we go in.”

Joy looked at me with a hesitant glare. In the days leading up to Lisa’s Labor Day barbeque, we had discussed allowing a few people to know about our growing relationship. While we were still careful about the public knowing, we decided that it was best for the closest people in our lives to know. Lisa had discussed it with BamBam who I would be meeting for the first time today. And I in turn had asked Joy to join me in meeting my new girlfriend. I had been tongue tied to tell her exactly who that was and figured the best way to do it was to surprise her.

I didn’t say I was the smartest person alive.

My heart beat with the anxiety of telling Joy. I wasn’t sure how she would take the sudden knowledge that I was in fact dating her favorite actress.

“Go on then, the food smells amazing and I’m famished.” Joy smiled, “and I can’t wait to meet your beau,” she wiggled her eyebrows.

 

“Yeah, about that,” I started but couldn’t finish as the door opened.

“J! There you are, I was just about to call you.” My mother stood in Lisa’s doorway and her eyes twinkled with mischief. I had told my mother a few weeks ago about my relationship with Lisa and I knew she was holding back an ‘I told you so’. Instead she hugged me and said she only wanted me happy and could tell that Lisa did that for me.

“Hey, Mom, have you been here for long?” My mother ushered us in, telling us that she had arrived an hour ago. After Joy gave her pleasantries we made our way to the large back yard where most of the party goers were.

“So about my girlfriend,” I whispered over to Joy. But Joy wasn’t listening. Instead she held my arm in a vice grip as she stared out across the lawn.

“Oh my god, did you know that Lisa Manoban was going to be here? You didn’t tell me your girlfriend knows her!” She gave me a stage whisper and I winced at the loudness of her voice.

“Joy, that’s what I was trying to tell you,” I breathed out as I tried to get Joy’s attention. Her gaze was locked on Lisa and I couldn’t blame her. In a flowing dark green shirt and white skirt, she was the epitome of perfection.

“You were trying to tell me that the girl next door you’re dating is friends with Lalisa Manoban?”

“Well, actually I was trying to tell you that the girl next door is Lalisa Manoban.” I waited for the lightbulb to go off but Joy looked at me with confusion.

“I thought you said you were dating the girl next door,” I eyed Joy not responding, waiting for her to realize what my point was. Finally her eyes widened.

“You’re dating Lisa Manoban?!” I clamped a hand over , her eyes wide behind my hand.

“Jesus, Joy. Just let the whole world know why don’t you?!” I had to chuckle as I moved my hand away from .

“Sorry, it’s just…does she know that?”

I rolled my eyes at Joy. “Yeah, I’m pretty sure she knows.” Joy’s gaze roamed back over to Lisa as she let out a low whistle.

“Damn girl, you’re hitting the hottest woman alive.” My cheeks burned with the words as I nudged her with my elbow.

“I’m not ‘hitting’ her…yet.” I waved a hand in the air as Joy opened to ask me about my statement. “Look, can you keep this to yourself for a while? We’re not out yet because of the movie so we’re only telling the people closest to us.”

Joy’s eyes softened. “And you told me?”

“Of course, you’re one of my closest friends. And if I keep declining your offers to meet my girlfriend you probably would think I was making her up.”

“Well thanks for letting me know this way. You sure do have a way of letting the cat out of the bag.”

I raised an eyebrow at her. “Would you have believed me if I told you without actually seeing her in the flesh?”

Joy tilted her head. “You have a point.”

I laughed at her as I ushered her over to where Lisa was standing. Her deep laughter filled my ears as we stepped into the conversation. Lisa looked up from the man that she was speaking to and her eyes landed on me. A sparkle of appreciation traced my form and I cleared my throat under her heated gaze.

“Hey, Lisa. Sorry to interrupt,” I smiled shyly at her but she waved her hand.

“Hey, J. No apology necessary. This is BamBam.” I looked at the handsome man standing next to Lisa. His knowing eyes held mine and I smiled at him, taking his hand.

“BamBam, nice to meet you finally.”

“And you, J. I’ve heard so much about you.” I watched as Lisa elbowed BamBam in the ribs, her face blushing.

“And this is my friend, Joy. Joy this is Lisa and BamBam.” Joy stuck out her hand in greeting.

“Joy, it’s very nice to meet you,” Lisa said with a slight nervousness to her voice.

“You too, and let me start by saying that my friend here is a and didn’t let me know this was your party until about five minutes ago.” Joy’s smile widened and I pinched the bridge of my nose.

“I didn’t know how to bring it up,” I told the group. BamBam laughed at my obvious discomfort while Lisa gave me a knowing smile.

“Well at least Lisa gave me a heads up,” he whispered, “right before I saw you two at the patio door she said ‘oh by the way, I’m seeing someone and she’s going to be here any minute.’ I thought she was joking until I saw her look at you.”

“I told you I was seeing someone last month,” Lisa whispered loudly, defending herself.

BamBam’s eyes widened. “I thought you were saying you were seeing someone for your psychiatric needs, honey. Because you’re obviously insane for keeping this beautiful creature in the closet.”

Again, my face blushed and I groaned audibly. Joy chuckled and elbowed me. “Oh I like him. Come on BamBam, let’s go get a drink and talk about how crazy our best friends are,” I watched Joy take BamBam’s arm and usher him toward the outside bar. I heard him laugh loudly as they distanced themselves from us.

“Hi,” I finally said leaning into Lisa. Lisa smiled a ‘hello’ back at me.

“BamBam is handsome.”

“He’s insufferable,” she responded.

We both chuckled as I moved in slightly closer. “How did he really take it?” I was curious about how BamBam would handle Lisa being in a relationship. From what I knew about him, he was very protective over his best friend but still only wanted the best for her.

“He asked me if I was serious about you, or if it was just a fling,” Lisa kept her voice down but it was loud enough for me to hear.

“And what did you say?” I and she shrugged her shoulder.

“That I’ve never been so sure about anything in my life.” She locked eyes with me and my insides fluttered wildly.

“Is that so?”

“Mhmm. So much that so that I would kiss you in front of everyone right now if I could.” I my lips, a Pavlovian response that I’ve discovered I do whenever I think about Lisa kissing me. “Please don’t do that, or my publicist is going to have one hell of a time with the tabloids tomorrow.” Lisa’s breath was hotter than the September heat and I clenched my fist against my side.

“Then stop saying these things or I won’t be responsible for my actions,” I retorted. The words hit Lisa and she was about to say something but took a step back, straightening her spine. I took a breath in that moment, trying to settle my libido. Lisa and I were taking things slow and although our make out sessions were becoming more heated, we had always ended the nights in our respective beds. Somehow though, I knew that was going to change soon.

“Hi Hyun Suk, so glad you could make it.” Lisa gave a quick hug to a large, older man. The three piece suit was a little much I thought but I figured that this man didn’t do anything half assed.

I knew him immediately as Yang Hyun Suk, director of Breakaway. Bom had acted as a mediator between him and ‘Randle’ when the first movies were adapted from the book to screenplays.

“This is my neighbor and dear friend, Jennie Kim.” I held out my hand to Hyun Suk and gave him my best smile.

“Very nice to meet you,” he stated. And that was the last thing that Yang Hyun Suk said as he made a point to direct all of his conversation toward the stunning blonde in front of me. As more guests came, I began to find myself on the outskirts of every possible conversation. It was obvious that the high school teacher didn’t belong in the discussions of Hollywood royalty.

I allowed Lisa to be the ever gracious hostess as I found myself speaking to BamBam, Joy and my mother. At times I would catch Lisa’s apologetic gaze but I didn’t let her feel my uncomfortableness of the whole situation. I knew that we had to kee

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter