Waiting.

Unwanted Distance

“Jie Jie!” Gui Gui panicked shaking at Jolin’s sleeping body.

“Huh, Gui gui?” Jolin rubbed at her eyes as she quickly got up.

“You’re alive!” Gui gui cried for joy as she threw herself at Jolin.

“Of course I am you dumb dumb,” Jolin relaxed, relieved that nothing was wrong with Gui Gui.

“Let’s go to the park, please?” Gui Gui pleaded.

“Why, I thought Aaron left.”

“I promised I won’t forget him, so I want to go wait for him at the park we play at everyday,”

“Ok ok,” Jolin got out of bed but fell over right after.

“Jie Jie!” Gui Gui hurried down the bed over beside the fallen Jolin.

“I’m ok, don’t worry just a little tired,” Jolin smiled and looked back at her ankle. It was swollen.

“Jie Jie, you should stay home and rest today,”

“No, can’t really rest here, it’ll get noisy again once dad wakes up”

“Then what do we do, you can’t walk,”

“Of course I can, watch” Jolin stood up, wobbly, but she managed to convince Gui Gui that she was able to walk.

“Let’s go to the park now then, and then we can go to Ya tou’s house and eat dinner together again” Gui Gui grinned widely.

“Ok, come on, let’s get dressed and washed up,”

                Gui gui followed Jolin into the washroom as they brushed their teeth and changed into clean clothes. The beating from last night erased from Gui Gui’s mind, but lingered in Jolin’s as she struggled with the pain that was now coming onto her. Once they were ready to leave, Jolin told Gui gui to stay in the room until she comes back to get her. Jolin quietly hurries downstairs to check if the parents were both asleep. Mom already fell asleep on the floor where she was last night but now with a used needle next to her. Dad was snoring loudly in his room. Coast was clear. Jolin scurried back upstairs and picked up Gui gui. She carefully carried her down the stairs and out the door. They were free now, until night.

“Yay, were going to the park” Gui Gui clapped her hands.

                Jolin only smiled as she let Gui gui down unable to carry her with the pain running through her whole body now.

“Jie Jie, are you going to work today?” Gui gui asked as she took Jolin’s hands and skipped happily.

“Yea, is that ok?”

“Yup, but Jie Jie have to be careful,”

“I will, don’t worry”

                Gui Gui smiled wider now. After a few peaceful moments of just walking freely, they reached the park. All the mothers their gave Jolin and Gui Gui weird stares. Jolin just hurried Gui gui over to the bench they always sit at, trying hard to ignore everyone.

“Do you think Aaron ge ge will come today?” Gui gui asked as they sat down at the bench.

“I don’t think so, they just left yesterday,”

“Oh,”

                Gui gui didn’t feel like going over to play at the park so the sisters just silently sat and watched other kids play.

“Can we come here and wait every day?” Gui Gui finally asked.

“If you really want to,” Jolin replied but liking the peace, sitting and waiting with her baby sister, without worries or fear.

                Kids came and go, paying no attention to Gui Gui or Jolin. The sisters just sat listening to the wind and kids screaming happily in the playground. Jolin closed her eyes to avoid the curious stares mothers and fathers were giving them. She knew what they were looking at. Their cuts and bruises weren’t healed yet. They were still visible to public. After a long 2 hours of waiting.

“Gui Gui, let’s go to Ya tou’s house now, I have to get to work soon,”

“Oki, we’ll come here tomorrow too right?”

“Yes we will after I finish school, I’ll take you to the play ground, ok?” Jolin stood up and held out her hand for Gui gui.

                They walked slowly towards Ya tou’s house. Which was not very far, Jolin walked quietly holding Gui gui’s hands as she hummed to her imaginary songs that she makes up. Soon they reached Ya tou’s house, Jolin rung the door bell once.

“Coming! Who is it?” Someone yelled from inside.

“It’s Jolin,” Jolin said.

“Oh my goodness, dear child what happened to you?” Ya tou’s mother opened the door and was shocked after she saw Jolin and Gui gui.

“Nothing, it’s normal” Jolin tried smiling.

“Come in, let me help you treat it properly.” Ya tou’s mother hurried them inside.

“Gui Gui! Let’s go pla...” Ya tou was about to say when she got cut off after she saw Gui gui’s face.

“Hi, Ya tou,” Gui gui smiled sadly.

“Ya tou, go fetch me a bucket of warm water,” Ya tou’s mother ordered sensing the uneasiness between Gui gui and Ya tou.

“Treat Gui gui first” Jolin said before she sat down in a chair, happy that she can rest her foot again.

“Alright, are you still going to go to work like that?” Ya tou’s mother asked worriedly.

“Yea, I have to,”

“You really shouldn’t go like this, here I’ll treat you first, Gui Gui will be staying over so I have more time to take care of her anyway,” Ya tou’s mother walked back to Jolin and started treating and properly bandaging up Jolin’s injuries.

“Thank you,”

                Ya tou’s mother and Jolin stayed silent the rest of the time. Jolin just sat and stared at the ground, Ya tou’s mother carefully took care of Jolin. Awkwardly, Ya tou’s mother finished.

“There you go,” Ya tou’s mother stood up, checking to see if there’s anything she missed.

“Thanks, I better get to work now,” Jolin stood up and turned around towards the door...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for reading if anyone is =]