Peace and Secrets

Unwanted Distance

“Hey let me play you a song, since it looks like there isn’t going to be any more customers” Jay offered.
“Ok, you’re really good at piano you know that?” Jolin smiled.
“Th...th...thank you” Jay stuttered.
Blushing furiously Jay turned around and headed for one of the grand pianos that were on display. He sat down slowly, making sure not to trip on anything and make a fool of himself.
“What would you like me to play for you?”
“Hmmm...you write songs right?”
“Yea”
“Why don’t you play me one of them?” Jolin asked cheerfully.
“Oh..ok...this is called Simple Love” Jay looked down at the piano keys and closed his eyes. (Jian dan ai by Jay Chou)
Jay gracefully glided his finger across the keys and played the song and sang along with his playing. Jolin closed her eyes and hummed along, allowing the peacefulness off life in the moment to sink in. Before she knew it the song halted to a stop.
“Why did you stop?” Jolin asked surprised finding herself beside the piano now.
“The song ended” Jay said surprised that she was now beside him.
“Oh, well that was really good, thank you for playing it for me” She smiled again wishing it didn’t stop yet.
“How about next time you come to work I’ll play it for you again” Sensing that Jolin liked it.
“OK! Thanks”
“No problem anytime,” Jay smiled, glad that he was able to make Jolin happy.
“Well I better get going, Gui Gui is waiting for me”
“Oh, alright, I’ll see you tomorrow” Jay sadly sighed not wanting the moment with her to pass yet.
“Yup, I’ll see you tomorrow” Jolin gave Jay a quick friendly hug and walked out the store.
--------------
Jay’s POV
---------------
She....hugged....me....I wish it could have been a longer hug. But it was something, right? I bet I look like a fool now, with this stupid grin on my face. She hugged me. It’s all I can think about. Does she like me? No, she wouldn’t I’m just a plain nerd. Who would like me? That song I played for her was written for her. She liked it, she hummed to it, and she sounded wonderful to my ear better than anything. Only if time would stop for me, and make the moment last forever.
-------------
End POV
-------------
Jolin’s POV
----------------
What a great day at work today. Jay is such a nice guy. He’s awfully talented in music, and he’s probably very smart judging from his looks. That song he played was really nice. If only it was true. No, I don’t have time to think about love. I have to take care of Gui Gui. She is my first priority. Need to go pick up Gui Gui now, I’m sure she’ll be happy to see what I got for her.
------------
End POV
------------
“Coming!” Ya tou’s mother rushes to open the door.
“Hi” Jolin waved.
“Oh! Welcome back, come in, come in, how was work?”
“It was great” Jolin said remembering her time with Jay.
“That’s good as long as you’re enjoying yourself; Gui Gui is inside watching TV with Ya tou,” Ya tou’s mother smiled.
“Ok, thank you very much for taking care of Gui Gui for me”
“It’s no problem, would you two like to stay for dinner tonight?”
“Oh, no...I don’t want to be more of a burd-“
“No, you two are definitely not a burden to me, please I insist on you two staying for dinner” Ya Tou’s mother said more sternly.
‘Are you su-“
“JIE JIE! You’re home! You’re home!” Gui gui runs over excitedly and jumps into Jolin’s arms
“Yes, I’m...home...so how was your day baby sister?” Jolin smiled and caught her just in time.
“It was good, I drew me and you and Ya tou and Ya tou’s mommy! Then we played hide and seek. Then Aaron ge ge came and gave me this pretty ring!” Gui gui explained happily to Jolin.
“Oh, Let me see,” Ya Tou’s mother quickly took it out of Gui Gui’s hands and stared hard at it.
“What’s wrong?” Jolin asked, sensing the tension in Ya tou mothers eyes.
“Huh, oh nothing, here let me get a chain for it then you can wear it around your neck and never lose it ok Gui Gui?” Ya tou’s mother said quickly rushing into her room to fetch the chain.
Gui Gui and Jolin both looked at each other puzzled. They didn’t understand the weird reaction Ya tou’s mother gave when she saw the ring Aaron gave to Gui Gui.
“Alright, here you go Gui gui” Ya tou’s mother smiled interrupting their thoughts as she slid the ring down the chain and clasped it around Gui Gui’s neck gently.
“Yay, so pretty, thank you” Gui Gui clapped as she looked at the beautiful ring Aaron gave to her.
“Alright, so how about you guys go play in the living room while I prepare dinner for you guys, hm?” Ya tou’s mother motioned for them into the living room.
“Ok, thank you,” Jolin smiled politely as she set Gui Gui down and walked over to the living room.
-----------------------------
Ya tou mother’s POV
-----------------------------
Why, why did that Aaron boy have that ring? Could "he" be around? Please don’t come find me, I don’t want Ya tou to be hurt. Please, God, give Ya tou a peaceful life. With or without a father I can raise her just fine. Please, don’t remember us...
I better stop thinking too much, I have 4 mouths to feed. I smiled to myself I’m so glad I can help out Jolin and Gui Gui such sweet children don’t deserve to live or see what their parents have become. If only I was more capable financially I would take Jolin and Gui gui in happily. They are already like daughters to me. If only...
------------
End POV
------------