D Day - pt. 2: Koobi traditions

Kollege Soul Affair

Author here: I tried a new way to incorporate images in this chapter. So there are links throught the text for the visuals, so pay attention to those and enhoy this update ;)


After the disastrous play Hoseok’s waking up method for Jungkook had turned out into, their morning had rolled off like it normally did on Dare Days, which is to say it was complete and utter chaos.

Jungkook had fallen to the ground after Hoseok pushed him out of the bed to the yells of “The floor is lava”, only the younger had no place where to hoist himself into considering his so called best friend had emptied the room of all furniture aside from the bed, and considering that Hoseok was already in it, Jungkook had no chance but to try to hold himself away from the ground on the window sill.

Hoseok was incredibly glad they didn’t have window seats and laughed the seconds off upon seeing Jungkook’s fingers struggling to keep him away from the ground. The elder got himself closer to the window with a malicious grin on his lips and placed his hands on top of the younger’s.

“Hoseok! Brother, help me!” Jungkook cried out for help, for mercy.

For a short moment, Hoseok’s hands held Jungkook’s a bit on the too strong side as he leaned down close to his friend’s ear and whispered “Long live the King!” before detaching the younger’s hand from the window sill.

Jungkook screamed like he was actually falling out of a cliff. One moment he was thrashing on the floor as if in mortal agony, the other he stilled and shot up to his feet. Hoseok was laughing and clapping his hands all through his best friend’s show.

“That was cheating, hyung!” the angry pout was adorable and Hoseok cooed at his friend.

“You were gonna fall in less than 2 seconds and you know it” Hoseok answered as he shrugged his shoulders “Hoseok 1, Jungkook 0! I can feel it: this year, I’m winning it!”

“Nu-uh! I’ve been collecting D Day’s golden medals since the beginning of times and will continue to do so!”

“Aish! You can be so petulant, you damned golden boy!” The sigh that left Hoseok's lips was resigned and weary. He couldn't fight the facts even if he wanted to. Still he was hopeful for he had spent an entire year thinking of dares that would target Jungkook’s only weakness: his shy nature. Kinda cruel, but effective.

“What time is it, hyung?” Jungkook was rubbing his eyes as he asked that and looked around trying to find his alarm clock, but without his nightstand to support it, it would obviously not be there.

“5:30 am” Hoseok was smiling so big he looked like a maniac and Jungkook’s pout was bigger than Dumbo’s snout “Since I won this round, why don’t you go back to sleep and I’ll make you breakfast”

Before Hoseok was done with what he was saying, Jungkook was already back in bed, snuggling under the soft duvet and looking halfway to sleep...or so Hoseok innocently believed.

Hoseok’s morning motions went on as they always did after he got out of the younger’s bedroom. He followed a 30 minutes long guided meditation podcast on Spotify, feeling dumb all the way through it and constantly doubting the existence of people who actually felt relaxed by a generic and pompous voice telling him he just needed to breathe out good vibes (*scoff sounds*) to the world and be thankful to the universe so it would provide him with everything he needed (listen Jan, try being thankful after taking two crowded buses a day to and from university and then going to work where you have to duck a bunch of terrible pick up lines to earn minimum wage and then we can talk). Hoseok was successfully irritated after trying a relaxing technique.

Giving up on the gratitude scammers, Hoseok decided to spend the next 30 minutes thoroughly stretching to loosen up his barely rested muscles. His Fridays were always full of activities and considering he would add more stress to it (a.k.a. Dare Day fatigue), he thought it best to exercise caution.

The next step on his morning routine was a shower with hair and body products that had been bought the day prior and that still had the seal on them (a security measure to guarantee that Jungkook hadn’t tainted his hair products like last year). Another twenty minutes and Hoseok was freshly out of the shower, choosing his outfit for the day, packing it on his duffle bag while he got dressed in his usual attire for a day full of physical activities.

Considering the weather was strangely warm for autumn that day, he went for some red slip on converses with miss-matched white socks that raised up to his calves, distressed jean shorts that didn't reach his knees, a generic white t-shirt that was sold as being his right number size (but in reality was structured as if for a much bigger person), a warm jacket tied around his hips (just to be sure) and a red cap. All in all, not his worst warm-ish weather outfit.

Before he could even blink, it was 7 am already and he had to leave the apartment at 8 if he wanted to make it on time for his 9 am class, thus he bent over in front of the opened fridge door thinking of what he could whip with his limited cooking abilities. Deciding on banana pancakes (easy and nutritious) he gathered the ingredients (2 bananas and 2 eggs) and mushed the bananas before mixing them with the eggs and two tablespoons of cocoa powder - both Hoseok and Jungkook liked everything best with a dash of chocolate.

Hoseok had fried the first pancake perfectly and decorated it with strawberries before moving on to make the second one for Jungkook. The younger’s breakfast was almost done when he almost ed it up. Hoseok was in the fine process of turning the pancake over when Jungkook appeared out of thin air and scared him half to death rapping really close to the older’s ears.

“My feet sound the alarm, announcing my entrance to the Dare Day world!” the younger stomped his feet and threw his hands in the air “Look at my first bat, I hit a homerun! If you’re confident, put down your bat” he said as he pretended to play baseball in their kitchen.

“Aaahhhh! Stop! I could've dropped your pancake” Hoseok was massaging his heart, willing it to stop trying to run away from his rib cage “Also, how much of a nerd do you have to be to sing a song that’s titled after an anime?”

“Hey! I’ll have you know this song is great!” Jungkook was pretending to watch a ball fly away after his imaginary homerun “And you were the one who made me watch Attack on Titan!” Jungkook said as he peaked over his friend’s shoulder “Uh! Pancakes! I love you, hyung!”

Hoseok looked down and saw the pancake had broken in half “Oh! Look what you made do!”

“Not a problem hyung. I’ll just eat yours while you try to prove your elasticity abilities by trying to fit inside the kitchen cabinet...cause guess what? I. Dare. You.”

The brunette had the audacity of smiling all sweetly while he stole his black-haired friend’s perfect breakfast and sat himself comfortably to watch Hoseok struggle to fit inside the tiniest of the cabinets they had on the kitchen.

“Ha! I fit! Hoseok 2 x Jungkook 0!” Hoseok exclaimed from inside the furniture piece.

“Yeah, sure.” Jungkook’s tone of voice didn’t wanna acknowledge that he was losing “I’m just giving you a head start hyung. Y’know, just to give you an actual chance this year” Jungkook said as he crouched down to be eye level with his friend “Besides, I’m not gonna be the one late for class because they had trouble getting out of a kitchen cabinet”.

Jungkook winked as he closed the cabinet’s door.

-------------------

The safest way to find out if one is still a dazzled and enamoured freshman is to evaluate what said person brings to class. Hoseok would proudly show off his sophomore’s bag to anyone in order to brag about only caring a change of clothes, bathroom supplies, a gigantic water bottle and the same 100 pages notebook he had been carrying around for the last 2 semesters (going on the third now without it even reaching half of pages with scribbled notes), not even bothering with bringing something to write with. Maybe his patience with university was as thin as it already was because he was supposed to be a junior, only one year before he graduated, but no, life had to happen and mess up his tempo.

Friday was the best day of the week for Jung Hoseok. Not for the reasons everybody came to associate with it. He normally didn’t get to party that hard on weekends considering he would normally be working at The Eve (literally the best first job one could wish for). It was actually the day of the week he normally worked harder, but his classes that day were his favorites.

The first one being Kinesiology. Hoseok didn’t even mind that he was occasionally required to write things down for this two hours long class, it was just fascinating to study the forces acting on the human body in order to manipulate them so that he could enhance his performance while preventing injuries.

Prior to joining The Pack on his first year, Hoseok had taken an elective course in which Taemin had been his TA. Creative Lab Hours: The Body EXplOration had been a fun class to attend, where each student was inclined to one dance style but had to come together in small groups at the end of the term to produce performances that incorporated all the styles of those in the group. And thus The Pack was created with its original members being Hoseok’s group members Kim Jongin, Kang Seulgi and Hwasa with the addition of himself and their TA, Lee Taemin. So to have Taemin as his TA once again was something Hoseok would never mind, especially since he excelled at his Choreographic Composition class.

To top off his perfect day of classes, the last one was Jung Hoseok’s favorite. There were quite a variety of reasons why he decided to take on Korean Sign Language as that semester’s elective course: #1 he got free time before The Pack's practice, #2 he has always been interested in what others considered exotic languages (English? French? No thank you, take that away from him. He prefered ier ones, like Portuguese - he had actually been a competent student when he tried that), #3 he must use his scholarship advantages to his best interest for as long as he could and most important of all #4 sign language was unlike anything else he had ever studied. For the little he had already gathered in the few weeks of class he had, he could tell that communication with deaf people was rather blunt and focused on the moment, since it was all visual.

All of this coupled with the fact that today was Dare Day (his favorite KooBi tradition) and followed by the dance group's rehearsal and the ‘date’ he would have with Suga added to an extra happy Hoseok that Friday morning. He was getting all he wanted that day, he could feel it.

-------------------

(10:01) Hoeseok:

hello hello hello

(10:01) JayKay:

oh god

what now

you only ever impersonate RuPaul when your brain has gone Satan mode

(10:01) Hoeseok:

hey!

okay, that’s fair

anygays, here’s your next dare my beloved chosen brother

whom i lub with all ma heatu

(10:02) JayKay:

shoot!

ma body is ready!

(10:02) Hoeseok:

you have to walk as a runway model...

(10:03) JayKay:

you’ve gone soft hyung

that’s easy enough

(10:03) Hoeseok:

...outside...

(10:03) JayKay:

oh

(10:05) Hoeseok:

...in public...

(10:05) JayKay:

wh-what?

(10:05) Hoeseok:

...and you gotta convince someone to do it with you

(10:06) JayKay:

????

do you hate me?

????

(10:06) Hoeseok:

of course not!

i would protect you with my life!

but I also expect video proof by break time

biiiiiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeee!

-------------------

Freak out - phrasal verb with freak (verb): 1. to experience illogical thoughts or emotions after a specific event or occurrence. 2. to panic, to lose control. 3. to be Jungkook on any regular day.

Friday Jungkook was a Jungkook who didn’t have many classes, those being History of Art and Descriptive Geometry. He only got morning classes, then he would normally eat lunch, go to the gym and then to the choir club if they had meeting (which sadly wasn’t the case in this particular Friday) or head home. But right in the middle of his first lecture he started to feel dread locking up his stomach as he looked at the wall clock ticking. He had another 40 minutes of class before the small 20 minutes break between classes when he would have to find a way to win the dare Hoseok had thrown at him, he was already two points behind.

Jungkook looked for an easy solution scanning his classmates and trying to find one of them who would be willing to share this embarrassment with him. If BamBam hadn’t missed class that day, Jungkook’s problem would be solved. How could he abandon me in my time of need? Jungkook sighed.

There was also Kim Yugyeom, but Jungkook had just barely got acquainted with him and all their interactions so far had happened in the presence of BamBam. Yugyeom seemed nice enough but he was much like Jungkook himself, only goofying around those he trusted and their relationship wasn’t there yet. Losing a potential friend was too high a price to pay. Thus he sent a message to the only person he knew that would be crazy enough to just do it.

 

(10:22) Kookie:

S.O.S.

(10:25) Taelicious:

say no more

meet you in front of the auditorium as soon as break starts

<3

 

The last 25 minutes of class weren’t so bad, but as soon as the professor said the lecture was over Jungkook was running for his life. Crazily looking all around the small park area in front of the auditorium trying to find his friend. Fortunately, Taehyung was a punctual person and was already sitting on a bench playing they-love-they-love-me-not with a flower.

When Jungkook got close enough to greet the older one, his thought process was interrupted by Taehyung’s question.

“Why do ghosts only haunt really big mansions? He loves me! Are they prejudiced against the poor?” Taehyung asked as he discarded the flower and lowered his voice. “And he loves me not...” the sad face on his friend cause a thread to be pulled at Jungkook’s heart. “Anyways, I wanna see a horror movie where instead of a piano playing by itself there are ghosts doing their taxes and complaining about the afterlife government”

“Ghosts are s!” Jungkook vehemently agreed “And whoever he is, if he hasn’t fallen for you immediately upon meeting you, he’s an too”

“You mean that?!” Taehyung’s eyes shone with mirth “Most people don’t agree with my ghost point of view”

Jungkook was endeared by his weird friend.

"Does that also apply to you?" Taehyung's fake coy smile followed by a wink made Jungkook smile, forgetting his lifetime crisis for the moment. "So, what's the cause for the world ending S.O.S. text you sent me?"

"Oh...hmm...you see?" How does one translate 9 years of dare challenges leading up to catwalking down the busiest street inside campus into words? "It’s stupid, but... I need you to walk down the street as if it were a runaway with me and film it all cause-"

Jungkook's explanation was cut short when Taehyung got up without sparing so much as a glance towards him and darted running back towards the arts building. Great Jeon Jungkook, you've ed it all up!

Jungkook stayed frozen in place thinking he’s just lost a friend and freaking out about it trying to come up with the perfect apology to get Taehyung back in his life when two minutes later, the older came running back with a package in hand.

“Sorry. Had to go grab these in my locker." He said trying to regain his breathe.

“You have a locker? In university?” Jungkook thought those were exclusively a high school thing.

“Of course, for art supplies and stuff. Where do you think I keep all my brushes and paints and props?” If he was being honest, Jungkook had never thought about where Taehyung's art supplies would be stored.

"Does that mean you keep your puppets there too?"

Taehyung gasped. "I would never treat my children like that! They have their own individual space" while Jungkook was left wondering, the blue haired young man pull out a pair of Lady Gaga's worthy high heels. "Ta-dah!"

“Did you just have those laying around in your locker?” Jungkook asked as he took one of the monster heels in his hands and that was surprisingly less heavy than he thought it would be.

“Yes. Your point?” Taehyung asked halfway through taking his sneakers off and putting the heels on. "Alrighty! I'm ready, let's go!"

Taehyung was now at least 10cm taller than Jungkook, who was left gapping at how well his friend could walk in heels as he fished his phone to film the walk down their next building.

"Wait!" Taehyung screamed "We have to do this right" he said as he fished out his own cellphone. Jungkook got significantly more embarrassed of the whole thing the more Taehyung called on the attention of all the students who were on their way to their classes but stopped to see what was going on with the duo.

"Tae! What are you doing?!" Jungkook whisper-yelled "Get down from the bench! You might trip and break you neck!"

Taehyung ignored his younger friend.

"You gotta gimme the thing that I love, humans!" Taehyung exclaimed while winking, smiling and pouting at complete strangers and acquaintances alike "Cause I live for the way that you cheer and scream for me! Come on, don't be shy! Put your hands up and make 'em touch! Make it real loud!" (Maybe not so) Strangely enough, people did clap at the older's command. Jungkook was the first one to obey.

The video was filmed and sent to Hoseok with both boys swaying their hips left and right, doing dramatic stops, faces and poses to the sound of Lady Gaga's Applause and the cheers of their fellow students. Jungkook felt confident with Taehyung by his side which made him feel sure about turning tables on Hoseok and winning this year's challenge as well as every other year.

Both boys were unaware of a pair of nice almond shaped eyes framed by bushy dark eyebrows and situated on a blonde’s face that had been fixated on Taehyung’s every move ever since he had put the heels on.

-------------------

(11:06) JayKay:

[video attachment]

though shall I walk through the valley of the shadow of death in heels

I will fear no evil: for TaeTae art with me

(11:07) Hoeseok:

u did it!

u really did it!

u not only did

u got Tae to do it too

im so proud

:)

im so sad

:(

(11:07) JayKay:

noooooooooooooo

y u sad hyung?

(11:07) Hoeseok:

my baby bro is all grown up

making friends, (almost) doing drag and

:’)

(11:08) JayKay:

u are so dramatic

*rolling eyes*

n e ways, it’s my turn!

[photo attachment]

your elbows hyung!

 

Hoseok was delirious and overjoyed when he got Jungkook's runaway video on his way to his Choreographic Composition class. He always believed the younger to be able to overcome his shyness, but he never thought he would see the day he would get a video of Jungkook trying high heels on (even if it were for only the 10 seconds period before he fell and almost twisted his ankle).

Jungkook has always been able to master whatever it was thrown at him quicker than the average human, but walking in heels is an art and Hoseok would have been a bit ruffled (albeit mostly proud) if the younger managed that in seconds what took a semester of Stiletto Dance classes for the dance major to learn.

Irregardless, the little sly brunette was being a ty trickster by playing to Hoseok’s weaknesses. They both knew only Jungkook had a weirdly skilled tongue that could not only his elbows but also touch his nose.

 

(11:10) Hoeseok:

that’s low and you know it

[photo attachment]

(11:11) JayKay:

ha! sore loser!

[photo attachment]

(11:11) Hoeseok:

whatevs

i’ll get u next

(11:11) JayKay:

excuses and empty promises

that’s all i’m reading hyung

i won a point

it’s a tie now and u know imma win at the end

[photo attachment]

(11:12) Hoeseok:

-.-’

gotta go

i’ll have your next dare by lunch time

 

The only reason Hoseok hadn’t had any limbs cut off by Taemin yet was because Mr. Choi, the teacher, hadn’t entered the classroom yet. Nevertheless, the piercing stare Taemin was giving Hoseok informed him that whether the professor was there or not, technically the class had already started and a dance studio was a sacred place. Hoseok knew. Hoseok felt the same way. However, today was a KooBi day and the professor was late so Hoseok would finish sending the text he was writing to Jungkook and then he would start doing his warm up exercises.

“Sorry for being late, guys” Mr. Choi said as he walked into the studio and threw his bag unceremoniously on the ground. “Let’s talk coursework, shall we? You will be working in trios to create a choreo to this highly energetic song” he passed a flash drive to Taemin and motioned for the TA to plug it in the stereo system. “You picked this one, Taemin-ssi. Would you care to explain to the students why while I sort out the trios?” Taemin knew that had not been a request.

“The song is a breezy dance pop. The beats are trendy and sophisticated. It can easily put people to dance.” Taemin took a moment before he dreamily stared at one very specific student in the group “It’s also about falling in love and wanting to be someone’s boyfriend”

“You better keep him, Nini” Hoseok whispered laughing to his friend “Poor thing is head over heels for you”

“I plan to” Jongin’s only other response was to blush while he kept his eyes locked with his boyfriend. I want that one day...Hoseok would never man up to say those thoughts out loud, it would shatter his boy reputation.

“Yes, yes. Love and all” Even Mr. Choi was making fun at the new couple “You are required to incorporate different movements for each of the singers in the trio. You are also required to associate pop and lock movements with intense floor work. The star of the choreo must be the upper body movements. This will count for 15% of your final grade and you have 4 weeks to show me the final result.” The professor stopped intimidating his students before smiling wide “You have to include funny and maybe some tacky movements in the final routine as well. It’s a high spirited, happy song after all.”

“I’ll help Mr. Choi access the inventiveness of your movement vocabulary and how you design it in space, but most of all you'll be assessed on you ability to make us happy with what we watch” Students were actually more pressed by Taemin’s demands than those of their actual teacher.

“Let’s get to work”

Hoseok was the first to move.

-------------------

Jungkook regretted his life long decision of not wearing an undershirt underneath his sweatshirts only once in his life and that was now. The thing is, that D Day had been an exceptionally warm day for Fall, so he thought it would be okay to wear his camouflage sweats with black semi-loose shorts and white Adidas shoes. He was comfortable and that was more daring than his usual attire (which consisted of blacks, whites and grays, but he was trying to be fashionable that day).

All good, right? Wrong! Because Hoseok had awful timing.

 

(13:03) Hoeseok:

do a handstand

now

wherever you are

you gotta stay on it for at least 5 minutes

send video proof

 

Well, .

At least Jungkook was meeting Taehyung for lunch at a quaint little restaurant in campus, the only one that served vegetarian and vegan meals because the elder was craving chickpea hamburgers.

Sure Jungkook would have another moment to add to his ‘Why life hates me - a compilation of embarrassing moments’ list, but at least it wouldn’t happen on the central cafeteria of campus and a quick scan of the area showed him there were nobody else he knew there other than Taehyung.

“Alright!” He clasped his hands and cracked his neck “Let’s get this bread!”

“I thought you were getting the aubergine lasagna” Taehyung said.

“No, no. I meant- forget it, Tae” Jungkook took his belongings out of his pockets and put them all inside his backpack “Can you hold this for me? Also, can you film me real quick? And make sure I last at least 5 minutes”

“Is this about your challenges with Hobi-hyung?” the blue-haired young man asked as he rearranged his backpack to be only on one shoulder while the other now supported Jungkook’s.

Handstands may be hard for the normal sedentary human, but not for a muscle bunny like Jungkook. He leaned his body forward and in a matter of seconds his centre of gravity had shifted just as his traitor of a sweater rolled down exposing his torso, completely obstructing his vision. The boy also felt his s perking at the sudden attack of autumn air in them as well as his loose shorts sliding down his thighs the smallest bit.

It seemed like enough time had passed, Jungkook wouldn’t know cause he couldn’t see his watch. He had heard some people gasping some time ago but it had quieted down, so it surely had been more than enough time.

“Tae!” he called out “Am I past the 5 minutes mark yet?”

Jungkook maneuvered his head enough to free his eyes to look at his friend. He found Taehyung alright and standing by his side was none other than Kim Namjoon (he just had to be a vegetarian, didn’t he?) with wide eyes and mouth agape, looking directly at Jungkook as the younger lost his balance and fell (quite gracefully, to be honest) on the ground - where he stayed (where I belong).

“Oh my god!” The spell was broken and Namjoon averted his eyes, looking at a point between Jungkook’s ear and the ground. Still he asked “ Are you okay?”

“Sorry, buddy.” Taehyung said as he deposited Jungkook’s bag on top of his exposed belly. “You lasted 4 minute 58 seconds”

Jungkook hid his face on his arms (to ensure nobody would hear him) and mumbled to himself “ing past life me must have invented bubblegum just so that he could stick it to Mary’s hair and curse me 3 life long sentences of embarrassment.”

And this was just Jungkook's first reincarnation ever since.

-------------

(13:17) JayKay:

i dont wanna play anymore

ive been sufficiently humiliated for a lifetime

[attachment]

(13:18) Hoeseok:

lmao

what did you see to make you trip like that?

(13:17) JayKay:

god

 

Author's notes:

Click here to watch Taehyung majestically dancing and prancing in heels

Some clarifications:
#1 - when the story begins JK is a 19 yo freshman. Jimin, Taehyung and Hoseok are sophomores, the first 2 are 20 yo (they'll turn 21) and Hobi is 21 (will turn 22). Yoongi is a 23 yo senior (will turn 24). Namjoon is on the 1st year of his master's degree and is 23. Jin is 24 (will turn 25) and on his last year medical school.
#2 - Hoseok is part of the hyung line irl, but he's a maknae at heart so I don't feel bad at making him younger than Namjoon in this
#3 - the song JK raps to scare Hobi is Attack on Bangtan and he raps Hobi's part
#4 - if you don’t know EXO, you’ve probably missed a lot of the reasons for the names of places in this fic (The Eve, Blooming Day...), also some puns (The Body EXplOration) ~but that doesn't interfere with the story
#5 - The song Hoseok will be choreographing is EXO-CBX's Blooming Day
#6 - I mentioned Hobi's Portuguese speaking abilities because he really has been nailing it ever since the first time BTS came to Brazil and I'm a er for it