D Day - pt. 3: A catostrophic success

Kollege Soul Affair

Author here: This chapter is an homage to all the 2nd and 3rd generations of kpop that made me sell my soul to the gods and goddesses (aka kpop idols)
Also, my beta is taking brazilian sign language classes and her bias is Hobi, so I had to include this on the story.
Links throughout this chapter are for visuals, enjoy!


Here's the deal of what went down with Hoseok's day between his crappy morning meditation bull, Jungkook giving up on Dare Day and the moment he went to the noraebang.

His sign language class was good as always. That day the teacher had an actual deaf person (Kim Soohee was her name) come in to class to test the students real life understanding of the language so far. It had been tough, Hoseok felt lost a couple of times, but managed to comprehend the general meaning of what had said. In the end, Soohee assigned each of the students their symbol - for lack of better way of explaining it's like a "nickname" a special and unique way for deaf people to reference you while talking in sign language. Hoseok's symbol consisted of a modification of the letter H with symbols for sun and smile following afterwards. It suited him like a glove.

The Pack’s rehearsal had been more extanuating than it normally was. Taemin probably felt like he needed to exact vengeance on Hoseok for how the latter had behaved on his Choreographic Composition class and the other members were just collateral damage.

“We all suffered thanks to you, Hobi!” Baekhyun huffed at the end of rehearsals.

Hoseok knew better than to argue with Baekhyun that he didn’t have to ‘suffer’ through anything, since the older blonde was only an honorary member of The Pack, but the fact that he was smiling his boxy grin meant Baekhyun wasn’t really pressed about it either way.

“You missed being sweaty with us! You’re not fooling anyone, Baekkie-hyung” Sehun teased.

“Dog pile on our favorite corgi!” yelled Seulgi - she had been extra chipper that day, which meant date night would happen later on.

The first bodies to throw themselves over Byun were the ones closest to him, which were the drenched in sweat versions of Hoseok and Jimin. They were also the last ones to be able to disentangle themselves, Hoseok feeling like he needed a shower and Jimin still clinging to the blonde.

“Why are all you Parks so touch starved?” Baekhyun asked as he ruffled Jimin’s pink hair.

“I miss corgi cuddles, hyung. I can’t speak for Yeol-hyung though” Jimin answered as he finally detached himself from the other “Speaking of whom, weren’t you supposed to be with him at choir practice?”

Hoseok was sat down near the two seemingly complicated friends (they would argue and banter a lot, often bickering just the smallest amount of too-intensely, but one could see that they went way back) while he stretched out, eavesdropping a little on their conversation.

“Nah, the er cancelled our meeting to go woo my bestie a bit more with a surprise bouquet of red carnations”

“I bet he has his JBL with him playing a ultra cheesy love song for Kyungsoo-hyung” Jimin giggled.

“Man, that’s a whole other level of whipped I don’t think I’ll ever reach” Hoseok added.

“He’s not a player like you, Hobi. Chanyeollie has always been a loser, now he’s a goner too” Baekhyun laughed “Since we are speaking of cousins, how’s mine, Park Jimin-ssi?”

“Taetae’s alright” a gentle smile appeared on Jimin’s face “He wishes he was doing some choir nerd singing today though”

“I feel his pain”

“I got a kinda date at the noraebang later on, if you guys wanna tag along” Hoseok offered.

“Why do you want company on a ‘kinda date’ for?” Baekhyun raised an eyebrow in a clear sign of curiosity.

“Mayhaps my date is not my biggest fan and I could use some buffer third wheeling to help smooth things along?” one must always think ahead in order to be such a good player on the field as Hoseok was.

“I can’t. Sorry, Hobi” Baekhyun didn’t feel the need to give any other explanation over why he couldn’t help.

“Count me in” Jimin promptly agreed “Today’s not been a good day...I tried petting someone's dog and they walked right past me and then even the vending machine rejected my money. Anyways, I’ll just go home for a quick shower and to drag Taetae out so we’re in an even number and then we’ll meet you there”

Hoseok couldn't have the luxury of going home to take a shower, else he might get to the noraebang late. Thus he took a shower in the university stalls and threw on the clothes he had stuffed on his duffle bag that morning: a red tee, some distressed jeans and his varsity jacket while he tried to fluff and curl his hair a bit with only his fingers. The whole get up made it seem like he hadn't tried all that hard to look cool (he had).

------------------

It’s common knowledge that Seoul is crowded with noraebangs, the bigger and fancier ones being located close to universities where stressed out students (especially the foreign ones) try to find refuge after weeks full of coursework.

Hoseok is no longer a noob, he was not going to be lured into spending his week’s payment just for the comfort of only walking a block. Oh no, ladies and gentlemen, he would walk 5 blocks until the next underground station, catch the tube and get off 4 stations away (in a total of 9 stations and 15 minutes walk away from his apartment) just so he could go to the best cost-benefit ratio noraebang he knew. Minseok really did a lot for him by taking him there on the few attempts at dating the two entertained.

The establishment was a true hole on a wall with a simple “Karaoke” sign blinking in neon green on top of a set of stairs leading the way to the first underground level. There was a door and behind it a small hall with a desk area where the employee of the night took payments and led customers to their respective rooms.

“Zitao-gege!” Hoseok opened his biggest smile.

“Hobi-didi!” the chinese male got up from his high chair behind the bar and engulfed the Korean on a hug “It’s been forever! How have you been?”

“Ah, you know...I could be a trust fund babe, but I’m managing alright”

“You could’ve gotten yourself a sugar daddy in Minseok-hyung if only you could settle down”

“Nah. It wouldn’t have worked. We are better off as friends” and was Hoseok proud of having made that decision: he got a few dates, quite a lot of ing and then a friend. In all parameters, a win for the bisuals in his books.

“Fair enough. I take it you’re here for the usual room?” the older asked as he moved back behind the bar.

“Yes, please”. Hoseok smiled bigger than he already had.

“And that you’re yet again breaking the rules and brought lots of food in that big duffle bag of yours?” Zitao’s complection didn’t move the slightest bit, going back to a resting face that would only lose to Sehun’s.

“Yes, sir” the dancer answered while applying his best puppy eyes.

“Alright” Zitao shrugged his shoulders like that wouldn’t get him fired if his boss found out “You know your way around. Are you expecting more people?”

“Yeah, a pink haired fairy named Park Jimin is coming with his soulmate” Hoseok noticed the words coming out of his mouth sounded like a back cover description of a high fantasy YA romance, which just gave him the brightest of ideas “About that, can you do me a favor?” the bright smile and puppy eyes turned mischievous in a blink of an eye.

-----------

The room was much like any other noraebang room: roughly 3-by-3 meters with a couch meant for 3 people, a disco ball that had seen better days, a TV hooked up to a karaoke system and now with the addition of Hoseok’s duffle bag on a corner.

The first to enter was pink-haired wonder Jimin, not carrying anything since he had the time to stop by his own apartement to change clothes, leaving his smelly ones behind and collecting his soulmate on the way.

“Jiminie!” Hoseok yelled “Where’s that soulmate of yours? I wanna meet him in person! That weird selfie of his you showed us was not helpful”

The figure that walked behind Jimin was one Hoseok had the pleasure of meeting before.

“Taehyung-ah!” Hoseok greeted and hugged the younger “I see you’re cosplaying Strawberry Shortcake today”

“Hoseokie-hyung!” Taehyung showed his version of the rectangular smile that ran in his family “You’re so observant!”

“How come you guys know each other?” Jimin sounded passive (and slightly aggressive if one’s ears were tuned fine enough to hear it).

“Jungkookie!” both answered happily (clearly not picking the defensive tone on Jimin’s voice).

“He’s that friend from choir club I was telling you about, Minnie” Taehyung provided while ploping down on the couch.

“And he so happens to be my best friend” Hoseok winked. He was sure Jimin remembered his promise of introducing the two of them “But man! Your Taetae is Jungkook’s Taehyunggie. The world sure is small”

“Excuse you! This is my Taehyunggie” Jimin quickly shot back “I him first so he’s mine”

Hoseok was not sure he wanted to know the context of the part so he left the two best friends bickering inside the room and moved to his hideout, a door frame crooked just the right angle so that people standing near the bar and talking to Zitao wouldn’t see him lurking. Not that he was lurking, no...this was more like a field trip investigation. The directions had been sent during rehearsals, so Suga should be entering the noraebang any time now.

Bingo! The man of the hour has arrived!

The turf of white hair Hoseok wanted to see was standing directly on his line of sight. Dangly earring on his left ear and two simple hoop earrings on the right one. Suga was wearing an extra large black hoodie and checkered dark blue shorts that left a third of his milky white thighs to be seen, simple black vans and a backpack being held by his left hand. Hoseok mouth watered at the sight, but lurking he was and lurking he remained, paying the utmost attention to the dialogue unfolding in front of him.

“I’ll need your name to allow you in, Mr. …?” Zitao could have been an actor.

“Can’t you just call in a customer of yours? I know he’s here and he goes by Hope or something like that?” Well, that was straight out insulting. How dared 4A pretend he didn’t know Hoseok’s name?

“I must insist you tell me your name first, sir” God bless Zitao’s resting face “I need to put it in the records, before allowing your access to the karaoke rooms”

“But I don’t wanna go in! That’s the whole point” Suga’s words were sharp but forced to come out calmly to sound polite. “Just call the with the maniac Joker grin so that I can be on my way”

“I’m sorry, but no, can’t do” Zitao said as he managed to sneak a glance at Hoseok’s hiding place that went unnoticed by Suga. “Name, sir”

“My name is…” Hoseok saw Suga’s head turn the slightest bit to the side where he was plastered against the door, but there was no way he could be spotted...right? “You know what? It doesn't concern you. What you need to know about me is that I hate a lot of things, and I don't particularly like anything. What I have is not a dream, because I will make it a reality. I'm going to regain my flash drive, and kill a certain someone.”

Apparently Suga had an eye on the back of his head for he finished his rant turning and staring directly into Hoseok’s eyes with an entirely not amused face.

“You’re way too dramatic for such a ninja nerd” Zitao sneered “But seriously dude, I need you name to put on the registration”

“My name…?” Suga blinked back to Zitao, seemingly having forgotten about the employee in his quest to try to produce laser with his eyes with which to kill Hoseok on his spot, which gave the latter a small advantage

“Yeah, cocoa puffs. What's your name?” the black haired man enunciated each word almost sensually.

Suga on the other hand just huffed and answered in a lower voice “It’s uhm- It’s Agust.”

“Ain’t that a rather western name?” Hoseok was not believing that was his neighbor’s real name for a second. “You don't look western to me. Do you even speak any other languages?”

“That is my name.” Agust seethed “And my family background is none of your business. Now. Gimme. Back. My. Flash. Drive.”

“I would hate to make you come all the way here just to get it tho.” Hoseok said trying to apply Jungkook’s killer weapon: a combination of puppy eyes blinking under their lashes and a pout (which went completely unacknowledged by Agust) “So I’m not gonna give it to you until you sing a couple of songs with us. I rented the room for an hour, so you’re not leaving before that” he smiled and winked.

“I could just hit you with that ashtray and take my flash drive back” Agust answered while crossing his arms over his chest (it might have been a negative reaction to Hoseok’s smile, but it was still a reaction - something his pout didn’t get).

“Well, first of all you’d go to jail.” playing sassy is a game for two, Hoseok thought “Look around sweetcheeks, there are a bunch of cameras here. And second, you wouldn’t be able to find it cause it’s hidden somewhere in my body...and since you dislike me so much, maybe you wouldn’t want to get your hands where I hid it” the teasing tone and the eating grin that spread across Hoseok’s lips didn’t produce a reaction on the other male.

“You’re disgusting” was Agust monotone answer.

“People normally call me charming” Hoseok feign innocence.

“Charming is the last thing I would call you” the way Agust grabbed his backpack was suggestive that maybe he wanted to hit Hoseok with it, but instead he just hooked in on his shoulder submitting to his destiny.

“But at least is on the list” Hoseok was shameless.

With one of them smiling brightly like they had won the lottery and the other scoffing like his nemesis had succeeded in their plan to steal the hero’s most beloved possession, both man entered the karaoke room to find two younger boys with microphones in hand.

“Aha! Listen boy, my first love story” Taehyung was saying.

Followed by Jimin singsonging “My angel and my girls. My sunshine! Uh! Uh! Let’s go!”

It didn't take much to have Hoseok joining the chorus of "Gee, gee, gee, gee, baby, baby, baby!". In the end, the three of them were dancing the sacred steps of Girls' Generation (aka queens who paved the way and provided the gay nation with its anthem) while Agust stood immobile in his place, probably wondering what he must have done in his past life to deserve such a treatment in this current one.

"Do I really have to be here?" Agust asked "I ain't got much money, but I'd pay you for you to give me back what's mine"

“I don’t want your money. I’m noble like that” Hoseok declared. “You already know my conditions”

“Who’s the grumpy cat, Hobi-hyung?” Jimin asked already moving closer (in complete disregard for the other’s personal space or his own safety) and pinched Agust’s chubby cheeks (something Hoseok was internally dying to do as well) - which earned him a snarl in response.

“Why does everyone keep calling me grumpy?” the frown between his brows didn’t help his case.

Obviously, the soulmates shared only one brain cell between them for Taehyung cooed at the eldest snarl and draped himself all over him, asking “Can we keep him?” in the process.

Hoseok laughed at the whole scene happening in front of him with Thing 1 and Thing 2 displaying all kinds of fluffy reactions to Agust’s scowls, snarls and growls. Yes, he wanted physical contact with the white haired too, but he would probably be friendzone (read: killed) if he tried the same tactics. So he resumed to move towards his bag, taking all the snacks out of it.

“My name is Agust” the eldest answered moving to sit on the couch, seemingly tired of all the attention.

“Allegedly” complemented Hoseok.

“Isn’t it against policy to bring snacks in here?” questioned Jimin already munching on some chips.

“More importantly” asked Taehyung while getting a hold of the pack of chips and staring at the dog printed on it. “Do you guys think dogs prefer being called cute names like Fluffball or would they prefer weirdly human ones like Gary?”

“Too sober for these kinds of questions” Agust muttered.

“Fear not! For I, your dignified knight in shining armor, will save you” Hoseok half-joked “I’ll go order us a round of soju and some beers on me”.

Hoseok wanted to sound like he could provide for his friends and (coerced to be there) guest (read: potential hook up), but in reality, soju was never that expensive and a pint of beer only costed 75 cents with the employee’s discount, something that he could apply because everyone loved him in that establishment. But the man inside the karaoke room didn’t need to know that.

When Hoseok came back with the drinks he found the so called soulmates fighting over who would get to line up the next songs and which songs those would be in the first place while Agust was furiously typing on his cellphone.

“I’m back! Make room” surprisingly enough, Agust was the one to move all the snacks that were cluthering the side table out of the way so that the black haired could set the alcohol down. Improvements already! (or the older just desperately needed some alcohol to numb his senses...one will never be sure)

“I know how to make this better” Jimin grabbed the soju bottle and poured it into four glasses (way more than a shot would consist of), grabbed one and motioned for the other three males to grab one each “Let’s chug these babies down and whoever drinks it all first gets to decide how we’re gonna do the line up” Hoseok and Taehyung whined in unison in recognition of the lightweights they were while a sparkle of challenge flowed between Jimin and Agust (much like an anime scene).

“On three.” Agust counted. “One, two...three”

Hoseok managed to down a third of the soju before he tapped out and started chanting “Chug! Chug! Chug!”.

Taehyung followed him suit, after drinking half of the soju glass. “Chug! Chug! Chug!”.

The sound of two glass hitting the wooden table at the same time announced that Jimin’s strategy had been a failure. Him and Agust were done with the soju at the same time.

“So this solved nothing” Taehyung said as he blinked in a rather teatrically, already half-way drunk.

"Enough! We are all grown ups here.” Agust stated as he let his elbows rest on his knees and the tips of his fingers link “Let's handle and solve this matter like adults"

"So, rock paper scissors?” asked Taehyung.

“Obviously” Agust’s serious face extracted laughs out of Jimin and Hoseok.

“Look at you getting in the fun spirit” Hoseok jested.

“The sooner this hour of torture ends, the sooner I get my flash drive back and don’t have to look at your face again” Agust beamed a wicked smile.

“Hyung! Don’t be such a party pooper!” Taehyung whined to which Jimin and Hoseok immediately started laughing (because they’re 5 year olds mentally and can’t hear pooty related words without bursting into howls).

To his utter delight, Jimin won the first round and decided to generously share the spotlight with Hoseok in a show of good faith for being allowed to come and not having to pay for anything thus far. The alcohol had given them a boost and they decided which song they were gonna perform through rushed whispers of “We have to make the Birdbrain Hoes’ groupchat proud” as a manner to not take the impact of their performance.

“Baaaaabyyy” Jimin intoned the beginning of SHINee’s Ring Ding Dong with all the strength he had in his body. Hoseok joined not long after. When the chorus hit, both dance majors where moving their hips according to the original choreography perfectly, cringely. The thing is, that song encapsulates what kpop was like in 2009: lots of autotune, cheesy yet fun all at the same time; which is to say it was a perfect choice for a noraebang night.

“So fantastic! Elastic!” Taehyung contributed at some point.

“Man...this is simultaneously their best and worst song ever” Agust sighed at the end of the performance.

“Did you have it as your alarm as well?” Hoseok inquired and received a curt nod as answer.

“To our rookie mistakes then” Agust raised his beer bottle with which Hoseok happily clinked.

Walls are coming down.

“Let’s all sing the next one” Jimin suggested. Taehyung and Hoseok readily agreed and got close to the mics. Agust resisted but at Hoseok’s reminder that it was the only way for him to get his flash drive back, the older begrudgingly got up.

Maybe it was the alcohol, maybe it was the dramatic way Jimin and Taehyung had started singing but when it came Agust's turn to sing Taeyang's Eyes, Nose, Lips he actually looked like he was having fun, even pulling out the Mariah Carey signature move of closing one of his ears with his index finger. Hoseok couldn't stay behind so he started singing his part with his eyes closed, touching his lips in a suggestive way when the lyrics demanded so. All their high notes were probably about to cause the glasses within their vicinity to shatter. Their laughs couldn't be contained by the end of the song.

“God!” Agust exhaled upon sitting himself back down on the couch and downing another shot of soju “Our drunk singing was so bad, I’m sure the apocalypse is about to initiate itself”

“I drink, therefore I karaoke” was Jimin’s answer while moving to get one of the beers

“Well, if you can't sing well...sing louder!” Taehyung’s advice on how to proceed in such situation was incredibly useful (take notes, dear reader).

“Haters gonna hate” Hoseok teased while sticking his tongue out to his neighbor “Why are you so full of hate anyway?”

“I'm not ‘full of hate’ as if I were some passive container. I am a generator of hate and my rage is a renewable resource, like sunshine” the white haired male smirked.

Well, touché.

“My turn! My turn! And I’m going solo!” Taehyung chanted before keying the next song up. He only knew the signature steps of the chorus choreo, but the illusion was good enough considering he was wearing a choker (almost as if he had planned the outfit for that song) similar enough to those the Vixx members wore for Chained Up.

Once Taehyung’s act was finished, there was a dull moment where the four of them just munched on the oreos, doritos and chocolate bars Hoseok had brought while drinking the remaining alcohol they still had left.

“Hyung! Where are you going?” Taehyung inquired when Agust got up from his seat.

“Well, that depends…” the other replied slowly while his chin “when I die, probably hell, but right now I’m going to the bathroom”

“I’m coming too!” Taehyung really acted like an overly excited puppy. Adorable.

“Good. You can help me bring the next round of drinks then”

“So…” Jimin let the word trail as soon as the other two were out of earshot “I’d say this little date is going pretty well, considering meow hyung looked like he wanted to kill you on the spot in the beginning”

“It could be going a lot easier...and faster” Hoseok was enjoying himself, but wondering if there would be any faces later.

“Baby steps, Hobi-hyung, baby steps” Jimin pondered “Now, did I earn your cute friend’s number or not?”

“You sure did. And Kookie did agree to it, so…” Hoseok took his cellphone out as he answered “Here, I sent you his contact info”

Agust and Taehyung clearly didn’t have Hoseok’s abilities with equilibrating drinks that Hoseok’s experience as a barman for The Eve gave him, but it worked out fine and more soju and more beers were brought inside the room. Hoseok took a slow sip of his beer (to pretend he had consumed more alcohol than he actually had) and directed a piercing gaze towards Agust.

“Say...wanna have that tongue technology fight now?” Normal and weak humans would be on their knees begging for Hoseok to obliterate them. Agust only quirked an eyebrow.

“Since you’re challenging me to a duel, I get to pick the song” was that a sly wink Hoseok caught Agust giving him?

The electronic hip hop beats so easily recognizable as the one and only I am the Best by 2NE1 started playing. Hoseok got Bom's part about people being able to spot him as a killer with a body like his. Followed by Agust singing Dara's verse of people trying to imitate him while he only moved forward with a passion. They fought over CL and Minzy's verses. Hoseok was feeling himself and he could sense the pleasure Agust was feeling with dissing supposed haters with his billion dollar baby rap skills. Taehyung and Jimin were going crazy on the background, hyping their hyungs even further. When the song ended, Hoseok grimmed at Agust, who in turn retributed with a small smile of acknowledgment.

They continued having fun and singing for the next half hour. All four males had pulled their extraness out, being back up dancers and singers for one another one time to fangirling to the extreme on the other.

The TV played the most random videos with the words overlaid - people cooking while Jimin sang Roll Deep (with Taehyung as a backup dancer - all evidences indicated that the soulmate duo had performed this song before for they knew the whole choreo and would drop their booties to the ground on a second’s notice), cartoons dancing during Hoseok’s very energetic impersonation of PSY for Gangnam Style (because of course the black haired dancer would chose the shameless and tacky anthem of 2012 to be his solo) while the males (including Agust) performed the infamous horse riding step. Travel documentaries showed up while Agust played the Hyunseung to Jimin’s Hyuna in Trouble Maker (heavens only know how the fairy convinced the grumpy cat to sing and occasionally dance that song). And finally whale related clips while Taehyung slayed as Taeyang and Hoseok acted as GD singing Good boy (sources can confirm that Taehyung is indeed a good boy while Hoseok was the definition of 'watch out for boys like that, do not trust guys like him too much’). It made no sense. It just was and they accepted it and had fun with it.

Their hour was almost over when Jimin shouted “I know the perfect song to end this on a high note!” he punched the code for the song on the karaoke’s remote control and in no time, all four of the men inside that little 3-by-3 meters room were singing about confronting unfavorable chances without being afraid, about enduring long hardships to become their true selves, about not giving something up just because it's difficult and scary...all that while feeling like the greatest hoes in history to the sound of Super Junior’s atemporal hoe anthem - y, Free and Single (I'm ready too, bingo!).

Jimin and Taehyung skedaddled out of the noraebang room faster than one can say super-cali-fragil-istic-expi-ali-docious (even though the sound of it is something quite atrocious) to give the older ones some time alone to faces or whatever it was that was going to happen. Hoseok was thankful for that.

"So..." they both said once they were alone on the noraebang room.

"You first" Hoseok said and felt his cheeks warm up a bit, which was strange...maybe he had consumed too much alcohol.

"Tonight was a lot more fun than I thought it would be" Agust conceded.

"Yeah...it was." Hoseok chuckled suddenly shy (which was so out of character for him) "To be quite honest, I thought you'd punch the flash drive out of me and be gone on your way"

"I thought of doing that." Agust said it so seriously that Hoseok's eyes bugged out of their sockets to prepare for the punch "But I'm kinda glad I stuck behind with you dumb, dumber and dumbest"

"Which level of dumb am I?" They both shared a hearty laugh. This feels good.

"Wouldn't you like to know, maybe next time I’ll tell you" The atmosphere of the room was suddenly charged with electricity, maybe this is the perfect time for a goodnight kiss "Now, my flash drive please. I really need it back" Agust averted his eyes and coughed a bit.

"O-Oh, yeah!" Taking it from around his neck, Hoseok deposited the flash drive on the others pale and soft hands "Here it is. You know, when we were singing to 2NE1 you went full on aggressive-aggressive sassy, maybe you should incorporate that on this song of yours. You know, go more feral and straight for the kill"

As Hoseok was looking directly into Agust’s eyes, he could see the precise moment when the lost their gentle sparkle of glee and became murderous, feline eyes staring fixedly into Hoseok's own, hard as nails.

And just how would you know what needs to be done in my song?” the older male’s voice did not betray the anger he was probably feeling, but his eyes did.

“I-I...I kinda listened to it? But, listen...it was rea-”

“I'm going to break your jaw if you keep on talking” Agust uttered the words with some level of discomfort due to his jaw being pressed together in a barely contained sign of irritation.

Hoseok was shocked for a moment and then his irritable temper, his greatest flaw, ignited. “What the hell is wrong with you?! I was just curious and it's not such a big thing...I'm trying to help, am I not?”

"I should've known and idiot like you couldn't follow a single direction of ‘don’t ing go through my stuff'!" Agust walked out without exchanging another word and slamming the door shut on the process and leaving an outraged, resentend and thoroughly confused Hoseok behind.

You just ruined something that had otherwise been a good night. Condragulations, Jung Hoseok, you're the winner of this week's challenge of who can be the biggest idiot. Hoseok thought to himself.

----------

The chilling air of the park was helping Hoseok sober up, but only from the alcohol he had consumed, doing nothing to appease the irritated state he found himself in after Agust chastised him when he was only trying to help the other male. Rage flowed through Hoseok like lava when he remembered that he had almost gotten his neighbor to actually like him a bit (?), kiss him goodnight (?) or at the very least not hate his guts. Which only made Hoseok nearly suffocate yet again on his fury at how such a perfect day had been tinted at the end of it by 4A being irrational, not appreciating his attempt to help nor even letting him explain himself.

Hoseok gripped the swing chains until his knuckles became white, he was scowling at his own feet urging them to move, but they refused to do so as not to allow him to play on the swing as if they were telling him "You know what you did was bad. You don't deserve to have fun". The tense muscles on his neck would need tending to when he finally got himself home, but he couldn’t go just yet not if there was the slightest of chances he would take his bad mood out on Jungkook.

The sounds of his jaw clenching and releasing was making it difficult for him to hear anything else other than frustration cursing through his veins. That’s how he found himself face first on the sand after he felt a cold hand on his shoulder and when he looked to the right, Namjoon had magically appeared on the swing by his side.

“Do you seriously wanna kill me?” Hoseok breathed through his mouth to get more air to his lungs “I’m a nice person and all, but I’m about to start throwing rocks at people. Starting with you if you scare me again”

“I thought you were having some kind of seizure.” the frown between his eyebrows telling Hoseok the other was honestly concerned. “I called your name like one hundred times and you didn’t even move a muscle”

Hoseok didn’t respond with words but only with a scoff.

“You clearly came here to simmer down your anger, so you don’t need to tell me why you’re so frustrated like this” Namjoon was tying his shoes bunny ears style successfully undoing the frown between Hoseok’s brows with how cute that was.

“Yeah...I don’t really feel like talking” Hoseok mumbled, but who was he trying to fool? He needed to talk. He needed someone to listen to him and tell him he was not the 4A had tried to make him feel like. “There’s this person…” he paused to see if Namjoon would make any sort of funny remarks. He didn’t, thus Hoseok continued “There was this thing that was particular to this person and I tried to help solving the problem with this thing, but this of a person did not appreciate my input and told me to off and I was only trying to help that son of a ” his tone of voice had gone up by the end of his rant.

“You can only help those who allow you to help them, Hoseok” Hoseok’s lips pressed hard together, only his parents called him by his name and only when they were disappointed in him.

“You can call me Hobi, Joon. Can I call you Joon?” Namjoon happily acquiesced.

“Well, Hobi...when I’m overcome with destructive negative feelings I do guided meditation with a rosemary incense burning. It helps clear your mind, y’know?” Namjoon proudly smiled down at the bunny ears in his shoes “I don’t have any rosemary here with me, but the pine scent should do it...we could try it out, if... if you accept my help?”

Hoseok gruffed again while Namjoon seemed utterly confused with Hoseok’s non-worded answer which helped the latter give in to the request of the former.

“Let’s sit down on the grass first” Namjoon said as he moved away from the swings and ploped himself down on the patch of green between that and the sandbox. Once Hoseok had sat down, he continued with a deep and slow cadence to his voice.

“Allow yourself to be here. Fully. In this moment. With your eyes closed begin to connect with your inner true self and your inner world of thoughts and feelings.” Hoseok let out a sneer and thought Not you too, Joon-ah!

“Gradually let the horse of the external world fade from your awareness.” Hoseok chuckled and almost choked on air, still Namjoon went on.

“If you find your mind wondering to other thoughts, don't let it consume you. Just acknowledge that all that is ing bull. You're here now. That can't get under your skin, they can't even.” Do you hear that , Agust?

“Take a deep breath, now breathe out. Just feel the ing nonsense flow away. Breath in strength, breathe out bull. Allow your breathing to discover its own natural, unhurried pace. With each breath, feel your body saying ' That’.” Hoseok muttered a small ‘ that’ as instructed by Namjoon

“With each breath you take, your thoughts become lighter. Take some time to appreciate the quietness within. That can't piss all over a purity like this. You are completely relaxed and free of thought. And as you slowly open your eyes, greet the world and everything in it with a new, beautiful breath of ‘ that’.”

By the end of the guided meditation both men were cackling like old ladies upon hearing a piece of gossip and they laid on the ground for however long it took to watch the moon and the stars move on the sky while they shared bits and pieces of information about themselves.

When they got up to leave, Namjoon somehow tripped on his bunny ears shoelaces and fell face first on the grass.

“Man! You do fall on your a lot” Hoseok laughed after he made sure the other wasn’t seriously injured.

“You have no idea” Namjoon cleaned the grass from his face and hair. Then he looked down at his shoes “I trusted your method, bunny! And you betrayed me!”

Bunny ears would certainly be the death of someone was clumsy as Namjoon. Hoseok thought as he said his goodbyes and moved in the direction of the nearest convenience store while Namjoon went home first.

--------------

When Hoseok finally got home he was feeling somewhat lighter, his random encounter with Namjoon had managed to make him laugh a bit and in the end they swapped numbers with promises of more meetings in settings other than just the park around midnight with a fuming Hoseok. The younger felt like a burden, so he had promised their next outing would be a fun one. Only the dance major was not in a state of mind to plan a fun event for a friend right now.

The realisation of how ty he had behaved only started downing on Hoseok when he inserted the key to open the door to his apartment, knowing fully well that 4A, aka Suga, aka Agust would probably be upstairs blasting an angry song on full volume.

How astounded was he when upon getting inside, Hoseok found the space to be the picture perfect of a calm environment with only the sound of his TV still on.

“When will Kookie learn to turn off the TV before going back to his room?” Hoseok blew air off his lungs while he took his shoes off and stacked them on the shoe rack near the entrance before properly entering the living room to turn off the TV.

There, spread on the couch, left hand almost touching the ground, legs folded in a semi-fetus position, head in an angle that would certainly make him have neck pains the following day, was Jungkook. Eyelids closed against the dim light of the TV, breathing shallow indicating REM had yet to kick in. The innocence showed on the sleeping face was something Hoseok knew few people had seen on Jungkook while the younger was awake. It was adorable and it broke Hoseok’s heart to have to wake his friend up.

“Kookie. Kookie.” Hoseok whispered while poking the other’s tummy “Get up, Jungkookie. Come on. What are you doing sleeping on the couch?”

“Mwsnotssleing”

“I don’t speak sleepy gibberish” Hoseok chuckled “Only normal gibberish”

Jungkook sat down, stretched out his arms and neck with his joints popping in a weird series of cracking sounds, his eyes were still closed when he answered.

“I was no-” a yawn overtook Jungkook’s ability to speak and he used that time to rub the sand out of his eyes while Hoseok sat on the other end of the sofa “I was not sleeping, hyung. I was resting my eyes”

“Sure thing” Hoseok got a hold of the remote control just in time for Adam Sandler to start cry-butchering the lyrics of Wouldn't It Be Nice by The Beach Boys. This was a bad sign, which showed him he needed a distract and divert approach. “Where have you been all day after lunch?”

“Cursing out my shadow for hanging with a loser like me” Jungkook said, throwing his head back on the couch.

Clearly distract and divert approach was not going to work.

“Okay, spill”

“What do you mean, hyung?” Jungkook was playing dumb.

“First you gave up on our dare day. Now I come home to find you watching an Adam Sandler’s movie” and Hoseok was having none of it.

“You should thank me, it means you won. And what’s the problem with watching a heartfelt silly romcom?” the boy was too tired to put up a convincingly rascal face.

“You certainly spoiled my victory.” Hoseok crossed his arms in front of his body and lifted his eyebrows “I didn’t just want it handed to me and I didn't even get to make you call your mom pretending to be in panic because you couldn't find your girlfriend”

“Hobi, I came out to my mom when I was 15...she wouldn't fall for that”

“But she would scold you and that's where the fun is at.” Hoseok let out a long, deep and tired sigh “Anyways, you only watch 50 First Dates when you start doubting the existence of true love. So spill, what’s wrong?”

“I just made the biggest fool of myself in front of Na-” Jungkook cut himself short, squinted his eyes at his best friend and in a matter of seconds Hoseok had the younger squishing his cheeks together, turning his head this way and that. “Hyung. Who made you sad? Tell me. I’m ready, I’ll fight them”

“No need to use you taekwondo skills on anybody” Hoseok sogged. Am I that transparent? (Yes, he was) “I’m sad and angry at myself” that earned him a slap on the arm “Ouch! What’d you do that for?”

“I’ll fight whoever makes you sad, hyung. Even if it’s yourself. So get ready” Jungkook jumped into a boxing position, but dropped his arms down and sat closer to Hoseok. “You can tell me, hyung. You don’t need to filter yourself to protect me. I’m a big boy now. I can help you too, y’know”.

“So, you remember 4A, right?” Hoseok felt a slight tremor go through Jungkook’s body, but that was probably because the brunette had left the window open and the cold autumn night air had gotten inside the apartment, which prompt Hoseok to get up, close the window and come back to the couch and hug Jungkook to help him warm up faster.

“R-right”

“I found this flash drive that belongs to him and I was gonna give it back to him, but then he said I couldn’t look at what was inside it and you know me, I’m the definition of ‘the curiosity killed the cat’ so I had to look.” Jungkook shivered yet again “You still cold? Here” Hoseok said as he enveloped his friend with the blanket they always kept close to the couch. “Long story short, there was this song on the flash drive and I listened to it and tried to help him improve it with a few notes, but the lashed out on me and I was feeling entitled to put all the blame on him, y’know? But I went to the park to simmer it down and met this new friend of mine...by the way, I guess he’s your type: thick lips, thick arms, thick thighs. I could introduce you two once I make sure he’s not an axe murderer. Anyway, where was I?” Hoseok sometimes lost himself while talking.

“You were mad at 4A...?” Jungkook’s voice was but a whisper.

“Oh, yeah” Hoseok took a deep breath in before he continued “So I was angry and met this friend of mine and he told me I can only help those who want my help and on the way home I realized part of the blame is mine. I mean, 4A was an but I did invade his privacy and now I’ve got to apologize to the ”

Jungkook fiddled with his sweater a bit and Hoseok recognize that action as one the other would engage in when he didn’t know how to make things better for the ones he loved or when he was confused about how to say what he wanted to say.

“Let’s go to McDonalds, Hobi-hyung” Jungkook had never been really that good at comforting people with words, but his actions spoke louder. “I’ll pay and we can get McFlurries after we eat the burgers.”

Hoseok laughed and they gathered their things to walk the 5 blocks it took for them to get to the nearest restaurant.

--------------

When Jungkook and Hoseok got back home it was nearing 1 am. They felt ready to sleep Saturday away.

“Hyung” Jungkook tugged on the hem of his shirt “You can sleep with me tonight”

“Thank you, Kookie”

Physical affection was something Hoseok never struggled with, the only exception being when he felt really troubled. Thus why Jungkook’s offer touched him so much. It showed Hoseok how well his best friend knew him and how much he cared.

They got into bed after both were done with their skincare routine and in no time was Hoseok hugging Jungkook and playing with his hair when he heard the younger softly singing to and old Bruno Mars song.

“You can count on me like one two three. I'll be there. And I know when I need it I can count on you like four three two. You'll be there, 'cause that's what friends are supposed to do”

“Good night, Kookie” Hoseok said and laid a kiss on the crown of Jungkook’s head

“Night, hyung” and with another yawn, Jungkook was fast asleep.

Hoseok started that day thinking he’d get all he wanted. However it’s safe to assume Dare Day 2018 edition was a catastrophic success. Both of the boys having felt a variety of negative emotions throughout the day, but they would always find solace in one another (and on greasy food) in the shape of late night conversations and best friends’ snuggles to cuddle away the stress of the day.

All was well...for now.


Author here: I’m gonna list down here all my favorite stages of the songs mentioned - it’s basically the same links I’ve already put in the middle of the text, but organized by year of release. Enjoy!

 2009 - Girls' Generation - Gee

2009 -  SHINee - Ring Ding Dong 

2011 - 2NE1 - I am the Best

2011 - Trouble Maker - Trouble Maker

2012 - PSY - Gangnam Style

2012 - Super Junior - y, Free and Single

2014 - GD feat Taeyang - Good boy

2014 - Taeyang - Eyes, Nose, Lips (I just love how he's singing about lovey dovey stuff but remains allergic to shirts) 

2015 - Vixx - Chained Up

2015 - Hyuna - Roll Deep 

Bonus - Taeyang -  Eyes, Nose, Lips (BTS version) - I seriously advise you to check at least this one out

Baekhyun and his corgi say goodbye for now ~chu

P.S.: It might be a while before I update this again cause I'm having some trouble with some plot points...but guess that by now you guys know better than to trust my word when it comes to updates hehehe