Chapter 9

Parallel Lines

Chapter 9

 

“URGH! I am never going to be a doctor!” Jennie groans in frustration as she lays her head on her desk, her hair splayed all over her class notes.

“Hey, it can’t be that bad,” Jennie peeks up to see Jungkook has turned around in his seat to face her, “I can help you if you’d like,”

Jennie lifts her head from her desk so fast, she feels a mild cramp in her shoulders.

“You’d tutor me?” Jennie questions, “You’d seriously help me out?”

“Of course,” Jungkook grins, “I mean, my career council session went well, so I’ve got the grades ready to go straight into med school. I could help you pass the tests you need with flying colours,”

Jennie starts getting excited until she hears Hoseok scoff as he takes the seat beside her.

“That sounded like you were boasting,” Hoseok smirks.

“Says the one who thinks he can get into med school last minute,” Jungkook grins, enjoying the banter.

“Yah,” Hoseok points at Jungkook as Jennie laughs at the pair of them. Jungkook has a sharp tongue, and she likes that about him. Not in a romantic way. Jennie’s heart will always belong to Namjoon, even if he never finds out about her feelings.

 

Jungkook with his wit and Hoseok with his easy-to-provoke nature, they get on like a house on fire. Jennie enjoys watching them argue over everything from the coming exams to appropriate lunchtime foods.

 

“How about we have a study group session?” Jennie asks as they quieten down. They both nod seriously, looking at each other for confirmation.

“That would be nice,” Jungkook agrees.

“And fun,” Hoseok adds.

“Alright, let’s do it,” Jennie grins, “How about every day after school?”

“Every day?” Hoseok pouts, “Why every day?”

“Exams are 2 weeks away,” Jungkook raises his eyebrows, “And you need to study much more than that if you want to get into med school,”

Hoseok sighs dramatically, putting his head down on the desk.

“Maybe I chose wrong,” Hoseok bites his lip, frowning.

“Don’t start questioning it now,” Jennie says sternly, “You need something to focus on, and there’s nothing better to focus on than something difficult, like medical school,”

“She’s right,” Jungkook chuckles as Hoseok continues to pout, “If you aim high if you change your mind, you have good grades to do whatever you want,”

 

Hoseok considers this, staring at the desk impatiently. After a moment, he sits up, still pouting.

“Fine,” He groans, “But we’re doing it at my house so I can have all the snacks I want,”

“Okay,” Jungkook and Jennie chime together. Jungkook turns back to his open textbook, and Jennie starts reading over her notes.

Hoseok hesitantly opens his math textbook, feeling trepidation and confusion. He starts pondering the repercussions of not studying, and whether he has decided right.

After a moment he shakes his head and smacks his cheeks with his hands.

“Study time – let’s do this,” He mumbles to himself, opening up to the chapter they are up to in class and slouching over his book, already looking bored.

 

 

 

 

Yoongi spends the day briefly glancing over his notes, not even pulling out his textbook. Instead of studying properly, he watches Sumi. She spends the study day studying with Namjoon, making sure she’s ready for whatever they throw at her. He starts to notice how she puts her hair up into a bun when she’s reading, and how she chews on the end of her pen when she’s confused. He’s never noticed these small habits of hers. Does she do this at home? Does she have a hair tie by her computer when she’s writing? Or does she have a headband, that makes her hair spikey and messier?

Yoongi couldn’t answer these questions if he wanted to. How well does he know Sumi?

 

In the year he’s been dating her – almost 2 years now – he hasn’t tried to get to know her. He knows she wants to be an author, but that’s because she told him.

Yoongi can’t remember ever asking her a question about herself. He’s asked minor things, like her favourite colour and ice cream, but he’s never been curious enough to ask her personal questions – deep questions.

 

But, as he ponders this flaw in their relationship, he finds he’s never been curious until now. How is it that he wants to know what makes her think, what inspires her writing, right when their relationship is falling apart? How is it that he’s so quick to point his fingers at her when he’s barely made an effort? But, then again, how much does she know about him? Sure, she’s asked him questions about what inspires him to be a rapper – more questions than he’s asked – but if he was to quiz her, would she pass?

The more he delves into this thought, the more he realizes how shallow their relationship really is. What else would you call a failing relationship that has no communication, no trust, lies, and a lack of understanding of each other?

 

Once the day ends, Yoongi has a permanent frown on his face. Sumi is too focused on Jennie talking to Hoseok and his friend to notice, so they say goodbye quickly. Yoongi feels his heart break as he watches her walk away from him.

“You’re thinking too much,” Yoongi jumps, just realizing Namjoon is still with him.

“What do you mean?” Yoongi replies too quickly.

“You’ve been frowning all day, just staring either at Sumi or your desk,” Namjoon looks concerned as he gestures for Yoongi to walk with him, “What have you been thinking about all day?”

As Yoongi starts to ponder whether he should admit to the thoughts running through his mind, he speaks.

“Namjoon, do you know what inspires Sumi to write?” Yoongi asks, starting the conversation off slowly. After a beat, Namjoon replies.

“I’m pretty sure she once said it was life itself that inspires her,” Namjoon frowns, “Like watching people exist. Why?”

“I didn’t know that,” Yoongi admits, “I’ve never been curious until now,”

“What are you suggesting?” Namjoon asks.

“Why have I never been curious?” Yoongi stops, looking at Namjoon, “Why did I not know?”

Namjoon opens his mouth to reply, but he doesn’t have an answer. His face, however, says it all. Even he doesn’t know why Yoongi was not curious about his girlfriend.

“Yoongi, I know where this is going,” Namjoon folds his arms, looking a little awkward, “At the end of the day, you need to decide whether you want to continue it or not,”

“What makes you think I want to break up with her?” Yoongi glares, trying not to get angry.

“It’s obvious, Yoongi,” Namjoon sighs, “There are only 3 answers at this point,”

“And what are they?”

“You can make it work long distance, one of you can give up your dreams, or you can break up,” Namjoon lists, “Neither of you like the idea of the first 2, so all you can do is break up,”

Yoongi stares at Namjoon, rage building inside him.

“That’s a bit blunt, don’t you think?” He snaps.

“Yoongi,” Namjoon steps closer, “I’m your best friend. I know when you’re looking for a way out. Yes, it’s blunt, and yes it’s cruel, but,” He sighs, “It’s the truth. You need to decide what to do,”

Yoongi feels himself deflate as he finally takes in Namjoon’s words. He’s not wrong.

They continue walking in silence, both lost in their own little worlds.

 

“Yoongi! Namjoon!” They turn to find Hoseok running towards them, a fellow student behind him.

“What’s up, Hobi?” Namjoon hugs him. Yoongi looks over Hoseok’s shoulder at the student.

“Who’s this?” Yoongi asks, frowning a little.

“Guys,” Hoseok gestures dramatically to the student, “I want you to meet Jungkook. Jennie and I befriended him in class the other day,”

“Nice to meet you,” Namjoon steps forward and shakes his hand. The boy – Jungkook – relaxes a little. He must have been nervous about meeting Hoseok’s friends.

“Why…” Yoongi gives Hoseok a quizzical look. Yoongi has always been fine with the friends he has, and Hoseok knows that. He has never, in the many years they have been friends, introduced another guy to Yoongi.

“Jungkook has spent most of his high school years studying,” Hoseok explains, “So he doesn’t have a social group. I want to make him a part of ours!” He grins. Jungkook looks awkward again. Namjoon breaks the tension by laughing.

“Yeah, of course, he can be our friend too,” Namjoon hits Hoseok’s arm, “Why are you so weird?”

Hoseok rubs his arm, pouting a little.

“So you guys will hang out with us at school?” Hoseok asks.

 

Yoongi suddenly realizes that Hoseok doesn’t like the group being divided with Yoongi and Sumi ignoring Jennie. He’s good friends with everyone, so he must want to keep the peace.

“Of course,” Yoongi smiles, “Want to hang out now?”

“We can’t,” Hoseok pouts deeper, giving Jungkook a forlorn look, “We have to study with Jennie because we’re all going to medical school,”

“Med school?” Namjoon gasps, “Have you decided on a career?”

“Hell yeah, I have!” Hoseok cheers with Yoongi and Namjoon, looking more like his old, bright self than ever before.

“Congrats, man,” Yoongi hugs Hoseok, “I’m glad you’re getting somewhere,”

“We’ll see,” Hoseok sighs, “Med school seems hard,”

“Just try your best and then you’ll have no regrets,” Yoongi admonishes him, “We’ll see you two tomorrow,”

“Thank you,” Jungkook murmurs, looking a little embarrassed about the situation.

“It’s all good man,” Yoongi grins.

“Have fun studying!” Namjoon cheers as they watch the two students head back the way they came.

 

Yoongi turns back to Namjoon, feeling a little better after the wholesome encounter.

“Come on, let’s go get some ice cream,” He grins as he leads the way up the path to their favourite ice cream place, pushing his worries to the back of his mind.