Chapter 39

Parallel Lines

Chapter 39

 

Sumi stands at the entrance of the room she is sharing with Yoongi, a deep flush across her cheeks. The room is beautiful. It is a very simple modern style with white furniture, sheets, and walls. The queen bed is situated in the middle of the room, to the left of the entrance.

There are huge floor-to-ceiling glass doors on the opposite side of the room that must lead out onto a balcony. Sumi spots a large wall-mounted TV on the wall across from the bed with a desk below it. Beside the TV is a cupboard so they can unpack their clothes if they wish.

 

As Sumi moves further into the room she can see an open door on the wall beside her that leads into a large ensuite.

She looks around the room again, astonished by the space and design. As Yoongi steps into the room she quickly remembers that she is sharing this space with him. Alone. For 5 days. She gulps.

He looks equally as nervous as she is, his cheeks pink with embarrassment.

 

“So… uh…” He rubs the back of his neck nervously, looking away from the one and only bed in the room.

“I’m claiming the right side!” Sumi says suddenly, jumping on the bed. She ignores the bubbling embarrassment in the pit of her stomach. He chuckles, walking around the bed to the side she has claimed.

“Why?” He asks.

“Well…” Sumi sits up and points at the glass doors, “I just want to be closer to the balcony,”

“Fair enough,” He smirks, moving across the room to his suitcase. He opens it up and pulls out a laptop and other pieces of technology, setting it up on the little desk.

 

“Wait,” Sumi frowns and gets up. Yoongi looks at her expectantly, “You’re not going to work while we are here, are you?”

“Aren’t you?” He asks.

“No,” Sumi frowns, “This is a vacation… you know, a holiday,” Sumi smirks, “Do you ever rest?”

“Sometimes,” Yoongi replies, looking a little awkward, “I rest when I sleep… and when I hang out with my friends…”

“That’s silly,” Sumi supplies, folding her arms as she sits down cross-legged on the bed, “It’s not good to be constantly working,”

“You wouldn’t…” Yoongi stops, realising he’s about to say something rude, “Anyway, wouldn’t it be less awkward if I work on something?”

Sumi considers this. True, she won’t be forced to talk to him as he will be busy on his computer. But why does this thought make her chest ache?

“But I want to watch the TV… it’ll distract you,” Sumi explains, ignoring her feelings again.

 

Yoongi shrugs and picks up the TV remote, abandoning his laptop and suitcase. He moves over to the bed and climbs in next to her. Sumi stiffens, staring at her hands in her lap.

“What do you want to watch then?” He asks, a smirk playing on his lips as he watches her. Sumi shrugs.

“I don’t know… we could see what’s on or something,” Sumi suggests. Yoongi turns on the TV and starts skimming through the channels. Soon, he finds a channel that is playing a new Korean drama.

“Wait! Turn it off! I’m not caught up yet!” Sumi covers her eyes. She hears Yoongi chuckle and get up from the bed. Once she hears him moving cords around, she looks up. She finds him setting up his laptop, and plugging an HDMI cord into the TV. Slowly, he sets up a streaming service on his laptop mirrored on the screen.

“What do you want to watch?”

 

Sumi and Yoongi choose a cute movie and settle down to watch it. They sit stiffly beside each other, laughing at the funny moments. They glance at each other, but the bed is big enough that they don’t touch.

Soon, the movie is over, and they are yawning.

“Do you want to shower first?” Yoongi asks as he turns the TV off. Sumi blushes, but nods, rushing to grab her toiletries and sleepwear before heading into the large bathroom. She closes and locks the door behind her. She thought she could hear Yoongi chuckle, but she ignores it. She showers quickly, climbs out and pulls on her sleepwear.

This… isn’t too weird, right? She bits her lip, looking at herself in the mirror.

 

 

 

 

“Hurry up,” Yoongi teases. He heard the shower turn off ages ago. What is taking her so long?

“I’m done…” She opens the door and steps out of the room, that adorable flush still on her face.

 

Yoongi’s jaw drops. She is wearing a cute pyjama set containing shorts and a crop cami top. They are pale blue with little stars all over them. She has her arms over her stomach and her hair is up in a messy bun, stray hairs falling down her face.

 

“I didn’t… I don’t have other ones,” She mumbles shyly. Yoongi shakes his head and starts laughing. It has been a while since he has seen her acting so cute, especially in such adorable nightwear.

“Why are you laughing, huh?” She pouts, throwing her towel at him.

“You’re adorable,” He responds without thinking. Sumi blushes even more, moving over to her suitcase to avoid the compliment.  

 

He gets up and heads into the shower, hoping to drown the thoughts running through his mind.

How long have I been such a ert? Yoongi wonders.

He finishes up and exits the bathroom. He is wearing loose cotton shorts and a white shirt. He looks around briefly, but Sumi isn’t there. Quickly, he notices the curtains for the glass doors blowing in the breeze. Sumi is out on the balcony, looking out at the night sky.

He moves towards her onto the balcony.

 

“What are you doing out here?” He asks gently. She looks over her shoulder at him and smiles.

“The sky is so pretty, look,” Sumi points to the billions of stars scattered across the sky. With the beach and moon in front of them, it is an amazing view.

 

Yoongi moves to stand beside her, leaning on the railing. He smiles, before looking back at Sumi. Her eyes are bright with enthusiasm as she beams at the sparkling view. He smiles, lifting his hand to guide a stray hair over her ear. Her face heats up again as she looks at him. He’s still smiling, lost in his own thoughts as he watches her. She smiles back, looking back at the view.

 

“Sumi…” He mutters huskily, “You know why they organised this, don’t you?”

“Who?” She mumbles.

“Jennie and Namjoon,” Yoongi responds. He turns so that he’s completely facing her.

“Like… the sharing the room thing?” She confirms.

“Yeah,”

“Yeah… Namjoon and I spoke a while ago and everyone else keeps bringing it up,” She looks at him, “Namjoon told me you keep getting jealous,” She teases.

“Well… he’s not wrong,” He nods, tilting his head slightly, “What is going through your mind right now?”

 

Sumi frowns, looking back at the view. She considers his question before responding.

“I… worry,” She looks back at him, a strange look in her eyes, “I worry I’ll never be good enough, or we’ll be toxic again, or… you’ll get sick of me and leave,”

Yoongi sighs and smirks.

“Well, Hoseok was the one who took me out to talk,” Yoongi begins, “ And I told him that I was worried you weren’t ready to move on from Jungkook,”

Sumi pouts, turning to face him.

“I don’t like Jungkook anymore… I got over him the night he hugged me,” Sumi explains, “You think I’d be comfortable talking to his new girlfriend if I still liked him?”

Yoongi nods in agreement.

“I know, I realised that today… why do you think so low of yourself?” Yoongi asks.

“To be honest, I feel like it was my fault that the relationship fell apart… I mean, look at Jennie and Namjoon. They did what we couldn’t and they’re perfect together. If we couldn’t… then why push it?” Her voice breaks at the end, obviously trying to keep herself from crying.

“Because that’s not how it works,” Yoongi sighs. He gently clasps Sumi’s hand and leads her back into the room. He lets go of her hand next to the bed and climbs onto his side. Sumi climbs in after him, sitting uncomfortably beside him. Yoongi slides his hand into hers again. She looks up at him, pouting slightly.

 

“You know… it’s hard to stick to my resolve when you look at me like that,” Sumi chuckles.

“It’s hard to let you go when you blush like that,” Yoongi responds. Sumi flushes again, pouting cutely. Yoongi sighs and lays down on his side, facing her with his hand still firmly holding hers, his other arm supporting his head. She is sitting beside him, her legs crossed and her back against the headboard.

 

“Sumi, do you actually like me?” Yoongi asks honestly, gliding his thumb over her knuckles. Sumi shivers slightly.

“Yeah…” She whispers, “But…”

“Shush,” Yoongi taps her hand with his thumb, “If you are about to say anything about not being good enough, then don’t”

“But it’s true…” Sumi sniffles as a tear slides down her face.

“How about this,” Yoongi tugs on her hand, gesturing for her to lay down and get comfortable too. She slides under the blanket, lying on her side so she is still facing him.

“Yeah?” Sumi asks.

“Let’s break it down… you can explain what you’re worried about, and we’ll see if we can find a solution. If not, we’ll stop,” Yoongi explains, his voice going quiet at the end.

“Ok,” Sumi smiles. She grabs Yoongi’s hand in between hers and slides it under her face, resting comfortably on his hand. He runs his thumb over her cheeks, smiling as he watches her start to close her eyes.

“We’ll talk tomorrow, okay? Get some sleep,”

Sumi nods, murmuring incoherently as she begins to drift off. Yoongi watches her slowly go to sleep before sliding out of bed to turn off the lights and close the balcony doors. Once he climbs into bed under the covers, he turns to her.

 

Suddenly, his impulsivity takes control. He slides his hand under her neck and his other hand on her waist and gently pulls her to him. He places his hand on the back of her head, softly playing with her hair. His other arm wraps around her, securely keeping her in his arms. He grins as he feels her snuggle into his chest, clinging to his shirt in her sleep. He plants a kiss on her head, snuggling into her hair, ignoring the urge to squeeze her.

“Goodnight, baby,” He whispers.

 

 

 

 

The next day Sumi wakes up to a bright light in her eyes. She quints, only to find the curtains open and Yoongi standing nearby, smiling fondly at her.

“Good morning,” He murmurs, “Everyone is down having breakfast,”

Sumi groans, rolling away from him and onto his side of the bed. She regrets choosing the side with the bright sunlight.

She feels Yoongi climb in behind her, so she turns her head to look at him. He is only an inch from her, resting his head on his elbow as he looks down at her. She feels butterflies in her stomach as she stares into his eyes, a nostalgic feeling emanating from him. It has been a while since Sumi has seen Yoongi look at her like that.

 

“We could sleep in, you know,” Yoongi murmurs gently, sliding his hand onto her waist, “We could spend the day talking… Jennie informed me that they have no specific plans scheduled for the day,”

Sumi pouts and nods, turning away and snuggling into the pillow. Yoongi snakes his hand around her middle, gently pulling her into his chest. He lays his head on his arm, his fingers smoothly running through the messy hair on the top of her head. Sumi sighs, enjoying the feeling as her scalp tingles.

“As much as I’d like to stay in this moment forever…” Yoongi trails off.

“Fine,” Sumi sighs dramatically, prying herself out of his arms. He chuckles as he watches her head to the bathroom to shower and change.

 

Soon they are out of the room and down in the breakfast area. They spot their friends all sitting together at one table. They are all bright and happily talking to each other, wearing varying degrees of comfortable attire.  

Sumi and Yoongi grab a plate of food from the breakfast buffet table and join them.

“Ooo good morning lovebirds,” Hoseok grins, eyeing Yoongi carefully. Yoongi’s expression is blank, not giving anything away. But even Sumi can see the happy twinkle in his eyes.

“Have a good night?” Jennie asks quietly, wiggling her eyebrows suggestively. Sumi frowns and smacks her.

“Nothing happened weirdo,” Sumi responds, turning to her food. Namjoon clears his throat, looking at Sumi expectantly.

“Yoongi told us you guys will be spending time in your room today,” Namjoon smirks, “So you won’t be joining us for a picnic on the beach?”

“Yeah…” Sumi blushes, “We just need to talk, that’s all,”

“Finally,” Jungkook chimes in, grinning. Sumi smiles back, glad that the situation isn’t awkward for him.

“Make sure you’re 100% honest,” Sara says, looking between Sumi and Yoongi, “And if you need condoms, I’m pretty sure I overheard Namjoon mentioning he has some,”

“YAH!” Jennie says, looking flustered.

“W-W-What? I don’t… how did…” Namjoon stutters.

Hoseok, Jiho, Yoongi, and Jungkook burst out laughing, leaving Sumi, Jennie and Namjoon to continue blushing furiously.

“Oh… I wasn’t supposed to repeat that?” Sara frowns, “You weren’t exactly being quiet about it,”

“Okay, let’s change the subject,” Jiho pipes up, trying to contain her giggles, “What are we bringing for the picnic?”

 

Everyone begins talking about the beach picnic until breakfast is finished. They all head back to their rooms to prepare and change, excluding Sumi and Yoongi. They head back to their room, close the door and flop back onto the bed. Sumi groans loudly, her embarrassment finally coming to the surface.

 

“I can’t believe it… I should have known everyone was going to react like that,” Sumi pretends to sob, her face in her pillow. Suddenly, Yoongi grabs her waist and pulls her into his chest. Sumi looks up at him, pouting at his behaviour.

“Listen… I can’t help it… I miss touching you,” Yoongi responds to her look, snuggling into her.

“Well, if we are going to talk I need some space,” Sumi explains, reluctantly pulling out of his grip. He pouts but doesn’t pull her back. He removes his hands and rests his head on his arms, watching her expectantly.

 

“Alright, let’s start from the top,” Yoongi begins, breaking the silence, “Tell me everything you are worried about and any issues you think will come up,” Sumi takes a deep breath and begins.

“Alright… my jealousy issues,” Sumi responds.

“I don’t have many female friends besides Jennie and I guess Sara and Jiho… do you want me to step away from them or…?”

“No,” Sumi frowns, “I don’t want to control you or anything…”

“Okay,” Yoongi thinks for a moment, “How about this; I’ll reassure you often and not go out of my way to hang out with other women. I’ll earn your trust gradually with baby steps. While I am doing this, you can go to therapy and start working on where these trust issues come from and work through them,”

Sumi raises her eyebrow. She was not expecting Yoongi to provide such a helpful idea, one that she had never really thought about.

 

“That’s… a good idea… I like that,” Sumi smiles. Yoongi gets the hint and explains himself.

“Listen… I really want to make this work. I can’t see myself with anyone but you. So I may have looked into different suggestions for a healthy relationship on Google… and I asked Hoseok,”

Sumi giggles, looking down at Yoongi’s serious expression. He truly does want this to work, doesn’t he? To go that far into ensuring they do the right things by each other. Sumi’s heart feels warm.

 

“Alright, should we write these down?” Sumi suggests. Yoongi jumps up and opens his suitcase, pulling out a notebook and a pen. It has a bunch of scribbles in it, sentences and notes she can’t piece together. He finds a blank page, clicks his pen, and writes down the first one.

“Alright, next one?” Yoongi asks.

“No, we should take it in turns,” Sumi says firmly, “I don’t want this to feel like I’m setting rules for the relationship,”

“That’s fair,” Yoongi nods, thinking, “I am worried you won’t talk to me if you are upset about something,”

“Okay,” Sumi smiles, “From now on I promise you I will speak to you about any issues that I have,”

“That’s not enough,” Yoongi responds, “How about you also text me issues you have if you are too scared to talk about it face-to-face?”

“That’s a great idea!” Sumi smiles. Yoongi quickly writes it down looking excited and confident.

 

They continue like this for many hours. Sumi brings up: Needing him to text her if he is late so she doesn’t feel abandoned, her intimacy issues, her fear of anger leading to violence, and her need to spend time alone.

The solutions varied, but overall Sumi is going to start seeing a therapist and work on allowing herself to be more vulnerable with him. They are also going to respect each other’s alone time.

 

Yoongi brings up: His jealousy issues, his anger issues, and his fear that limited intimacy means she doesn’t love him. Yoongi has been working on his anger issues already, and he applied the same suggestion about jealousy he gave Sumi to himself. They are also going to use other forms of intimacy to express their love for each other.

 

After a while, Sumi can’t think of anything else, but Yoongi has one more.

“This is the last one, I promise,” Yoongi grins, watching as Sumi yawns and nods, “I need you to understand that if we start having issues we are going to talk it out like this, not immediately break up, okay?”

Sumi smiles and nods in agreement. As much as Sumi often references her previous relationship with Yoongi, she found her behaviour back then to be immature.

“Alright,” Yoongi grins, turning to place the notebook on the bedside table before turning back to her. He stares at her for a moment, his smile getting wider and wider.

 

“What?” Sumi laughs, trying to hide her blushing face behind a pillow. Swiftly, he grabs her by the waist and pulls her into his chest again. She squeals, his movements slightly rougher than last time.

“Bae Sumi,” He whispers, placing a kiss on her forehead, “Will you be my girlfriend?”

Sumi smiles and pulls away, looking up into his eyes.

“Of course,” Sumi blushes. She looks back down and begins snuggling into his chest. She can hear his heart racing as he chuckles lightly.

 

“Should we nap, baby?” Yoongi asks huskily, squeezing her firmly into him. Sumi blushes, ignoring how that voice makes her feel and nods.

“Good,” He sighs, wiggling a little to get more comfortable. Sumi rubs her face into his chest, slightly tugging at his shirt.

“I love you, baby,” Yoongi murmurs, rubbing her back gently.

“I love you too,” Sumi whispers.