Chapter 41

Parallel Lines

Chapter 41

 

A month later…

 

Sumi looks up at the sky, beaming as the sun warms her skin. The weather today couldn’t be more perfect. A few clouds scatter the sky like little fluffy streaks. The breeze is cool, preventing the sun from heating the area too much. She watches the trees move and bend to the will of the wind.

It has been so long since I have been here.

 

In high school, Sumi and Yoongi used to go on little dates within walking distance of their houses. This included a little shopping area that has a small park in the middle of it. A river runs beside it, which is beautiful to observe at night.

There are many little businesses, including a bowling alley, a cinema, a café, an ice-cream parlour, a restaurant, a small mall, and markets.

They also spent a lot of time here with their friends. Sumi and Namjoon went to the ice cream parlour quite a few months ago now, which is the last time Sumi was in this area. She doesn’t have a lot of time to take a stroll down memory lane. None of them do. As they continue to get older and busier, Sumi enjoys these little moments of recalling the good old days.

 

Sumi looks around the little park, reminiscing about her childhood.

“You look lost in thought,” Sumi spins around to find Yoongi standing nearby, his head tilted to the side as he watches her. He has that adorable gummy smile plastered to his face. He is wearing a long black coat, a white shirt, and black jeans. He has a cap on, his eyes twinkling mischievously.

She grins, moving towards him.

“I am,” Sumi admits, looking around the park, “We have so many memories here,”

“I know,” Yoongi agrees, “That’s why I wanted to have a date here,”

“That’s sweet,” Sumi’s eyes gloss over as she spots a small bench nearby.

“Do you remember when we ate all that candy on that bench?” Sumi asks, pointing at it.

“Yeah,” Yoongi nods, moving towards it, “You were so sick the next day,”

“There was so much candy… you won it at that arcade,” Sumi smiles, taking a seat.

“I know,” Yoongi sighs as he sits beside her, looking around.

 

They watch the water move and the kids play on the playground, squealing, cheering, and yelling at each other.

“This is why I invited you for lunch here,” Yoongi admits. Sumi looks at him as he stares at an old slide, “These memories… it’s so inspiring… I wanted to walk down memory lane with you,”

Sumi smiles and slides her hand into his.

“I’d like that,”

Yoongi looks down at her hand before looking back at the slide, the memories rolling in.

 

 

“Yah, Min Yoongi!” Sumi squeals, wrestling with the teenage boy at the top of the slide, “Don’t push me!”

“Why? Are you scared? Huh?” Yoongi smirks, tickling her.

“STOP IT! AHHHH!” Yoongi manages to get her onto the slide and push her down. She screams as she rolls down the slide, almost landing on her face at the bottom.

“YOONGI!” Yoongi cackles, looking down at the fuming girl cheerfully.

“What?” Yoongi grins, “Still too childish?”

“Of course you kid!” She pouts, folding her arms, “We are too old for this stuff,”

Yoongi swings under the poll above the slide, gets into position and gently slides down the slide.

“Weeee,” He giggles, grinning up at her.

“Why are you so childish?” Sumi glares as he stands up.

“Because I am a kid,” Yoongi smirks, “Come on, let’s play on the climbing frame,”

“I DON’T WANT TO!” Sumi protests as Yoongi drags her over.

 

 

“You were so adamant that you were an adult now,” Yoongi chuckles, “You were 15, I don’t know why you were so excited to grow up,”
“I don’t know either,” Sumi shrugs.

“Wait! Do you remember when you got stuck in the swing?” Yoongi laughs, pointing at the end swing. Sumi looks at it and sighs.

“Yeah,” She smirks, “I was finally giving into your childishness and ended up getting hurt… I was so mad at you,”

“I know,” Yoongi chuckles. He looks away from the swing, still reminiscing. His eyes land on an old tree on the other side of the playground. His smile slides from his face as he recalls his only memory of that tree.

“Do you remember that fight we had?” Yoongi asks, frowning. Sumi looks to where he is looking and sighs.

“That was our first ever proper fight,” Sumi nods, “I remember you saying you didn’t want to see me ever again,” She teases.

“Yah, stop it,” He pouts, “I was young and dramatic, okay?”

 

Sumi stands up, pulling Yoongi to his feet.

“Hey, let’s go back to that arcade!” Sumi swings her arms in a childlike manner, grinning.

“Wow…” Yoongi smirks, “You’re such a kid,”

“Come on! It’s just over there!” Sumi begins pulling Yoongi towards the arcade. He stumbles behind her, smiling as he is reminded of a night in the park like this.

 

 

“Why did you bring me here?” Yoongi frowns, looking down at his hand interlaced with hers. She dragged him all the way here from the school. He only met this girl a few weeks ago, but she is so pushy.

“This is that park I was talking about! Remember?” She gestures around her, her adorable cheeks squished by her massive grin. He smirks unwillingly.

“Who said I wanted to see this park, huh?” Yoongi pushes his hands into his pockets, looking away from her.

“Namjoon told me you wanted to come here,” Sumi answers, gesturing around the park again.

“Namjoon? You talk to Namjoon?” Yoongi frowns, “Why?”

“Why not?” Sumi raises her eyebrow, “He’s a nice guy,”

“Pft,” Yoongi tsks, rolling his eyes.

 

 

“Hey, you remember that afternoon when I got angry at you for talking to Namjoon?” Yoongi asks as they reach the street.

“Yeah,” Sumi laughs, “I was so confused! We weren’t even dating yet, and you were already jealous,”

Sumi stops, looking up at the arcade sign. It is starting to look a little old and run down, but it is still as busy as it was when they were teenagers. Yoongi smiles, turning to Sumi chuckling.

“You remember when I beat you at that basketball game?”

“Hey!” Sumi points at him, offended, “You cheated!”
“I did not!” Yoongi laughs, “You were just really bad,”

Sumi crosses her arms, her eyebrows raised, challenging him.

“Let’s go then,” Sumi points to the machine inside the arcade, which is currently not in use.

“You’re on,” Yoongi smirks.

They move inside and head over to the machine. Yoongi pulls out a few coins and starts the machine.

3… 2… 1… GO!

 

They play a few rounds, throwing the balls over and over again until Sumi finally admits defeat. She manages to win 1 round, but Yoongi won the other 5.

“I told you,” Yoongi shrugs, an egotistical smirk plastered to his smug face, “I’m just so good,”

Sumi playfully hits his arm as they leave the arcade, bickering childishly.

 

They continue down the street, looking around at the familiar businesses and buildings.

Yoongi spots a small convenience store and grins.

“Hey, do you remember when you thought you caught me cheating on you?” Yoongi grins, pointing at the store.

 

 

Sumi looks up from her phone. She had just finished reading the text from her mother.

She enters the store, looking around for the brand of juice that her mother likes when she hears a familiar voice.

“Oh yeah? You think that will work, huh?” Yoongi’s husky voice can be heard from the aisle over. Sumi stands on her toes, peeking over the top of the aisle. She can see Yoongi looking down at a girl from school whom Sumi doesn’t recognise. She can’t see Yoongi’s face, but she can see the girl. She is smirking, fiddling with her hair. Sumi moves around to the aisle, her heart racing with anxiety. He wouldn’t… would he?

“Yoongi?” Sumi asks.

Yoongi looks over his shoulder at her looking a little agitated.

“Ah… ,” Yoongi sighs, looking back at the girl. She smiles at Sumi and turns away, leaving them alone.

“Who… who was that?”

 

 

“Oh no! Don’t remind me of that!” Sumi pleads, pouting, “That was so embarrassing!”

“Well, if you had listened to me, it wouldn’t have escalated like that,”

Sumi covers her face, recalling the shameful moment. The girl was Yoongi’s partner for an English assessment. She ran into him at the corner store and was trying to get out of doing any work. Yoongi was getting annoyed at her. Sumi thought he was trying to hide that he was cheating. She ended up screaming at him.

 

“I know, you’re right,” Sumi admits, moving away from the corner store.

Soon they are in front of the ice cream parlour that they used to go to the most with all their friends.

“Let’s get some ice cream,” Yoongi smiles, leading Sumi inside.

They grab their favourite flavours and sit over in the spot they used to sit with the others. They look out the window, thinking about all the things that have happened in this very position.

 

The day Namjoon tried to help Hoseok and Jennie with their homework at the same time. They ended up giving up, making Namjoon very frustrated with them.

 

That time Namjoon was upset at his parents and they all consoled him by buying a huge tub of ice cream to make him feel better. However, it was mint chocolate ice cream, the one ice cream flavour he hates.

 

When Jennie got a really good grade on her first test, so she brought ice cream for everyone.

 

When Sumi got her first publishing offer and her friends congratulated her.

 

When Yoongi and Namjoon wrote their first ever song, which ended up being professionally composed and released in their 2nd album.

 

The many conversations about their dreams, their goals, and their lives. All their memories of high school, getting their first jobs and being accepted into university. Their love lives and their relationships. Sumi has never once taken their friendships for granted. So many friendships discontinue after high school. Yet they have managed to last so long after high school.

 

Jennie finally meeting her grades to get into university, Hoseok realising what he wanted to do with his life, and Namjoon being accepted by his parents. Everything they have experienced and watched each other go through.

 

They have so many memories here with their friends. Good and bad memories. But even with the bad memories, they wouldn’t trade this place for the world. It feels comfortable and nostalgic.

 

“Hey, Sumi,” Yoongi turns, a strange look in his eyes, “I know this sounds strange… but can you promise me something?”

Sumi frowns, but she nods anyway.

“Anything,” She mutters.

“Promise to love me forever?” He smiles, that cute gummy smile she has always adored.

“Of course,” She grins.

“I love you,” Yoongi smiles, sliding his hand under hers.

“I love you too, Yoongi,”

 

 

Thank you for reading! Comment and upvote what you think x