Chapter 7

Parallel Lines

Chapter 7

 

Sumi grins like an idiot at her phone. She has just created an event in the group chat for the weekend.

 

SUMI CREATED AN EVENT

DETAILS: Let’s go to the beach this weekend!

TIME: 10:00 am

PLACE: Sumi’s house

 

SUMI: Hey guys! Let’s have a beach trip this weekend!

RM: With no way to get there?

SUMI: My parents are taking us. They’ll drop us off and go have lunch together.

SUGA: Sumi is really excited about this; let’s all spend the day together.

JENNIE: count me in!

HOBI: Hell yeah!

SUMI: RM?

RM: Yeah, sounds like fun. Who’s bringing food?

SUMI: I’m bringing drinks.

JENNIE: I have some beach games we can play!

HOBI: Uhm… I can bring chips…

SUMI: That’s fine Hobi 😊

SUGA: I can bring alcohol!

RM: No

SUMI: No way!

JENNIE: Are you crazy?

SUGA: Fine, no alcohol…

SUGA: I’ll bring food.

SUMI: Okay, it’s settled. I’ll see you at my house tomorrow morning!
 

Sumi places her phone down before jumping out of her bed. She decides to prepare her outfit for tomorrow. Even though all their friends are going, Sumi wants to look her best for Yoongi. Feeling happy for the first time in a while, she begins rifling through her clothes.

 

 

 

 

“Hurry up, Hobi!” Sumi calls out of the car. Hoseok comes rushing out the fence, followed by Sumi’s very amused father.

“Everyone ready?” Sumi’s mother beams back at them as Hoseok clamours into Sumi’s father’s car. Sumi and Yoongi are travelling in Sumi’s mother’s car, and Namjoon, Jennie, and Hoseok are travelling in Sumi’s father’s car.

“I’m sure they’re ready,” Sumi giggles, feeling giddy, “Let’s go!”

 

So, they drive to the beach in a small convoy. Sumi and Yoongi spend the drive playing games and giggling together. Sumi’s mother decides to put on headphones after a while.

In the other car, Hoseok keeps them entertained with various jokes, games, and conversation.

 

When they arrive, they climb out of the cars, stretching their legs and staring at the beach in awe.

“We’ll be back in 3 hours,” Sumi’s father looks at his watch, “So at 2 pm,”

“Yes, Dad,” Sumi beams, rushing forward to hug him. She waves as they climb into one of the cars and drive off, leaving Sumi in charge of the keys for the other car, which contains everything they need for a picnic on the beach.

 

“Alright,” Sumi says firmly, looking at them all, “Jennie, you can set up the picnic with me, Yoongi you can help Namjoon with cooking, and Hoseok you can organize all the activities,”

“Are we going to eat before swimming?” Jennie asks, frowning a little.

“Yeah, we should swim first,” Namjoon grins, looking at the crystal-clear water.

“Alright,” Sumi rolls her eyes, “We’ll leave everything in the car, except for our towels and stuff, and go swimming, okay?”

“Yay!” Everyone cheers, grabbing their bags and running to the water. Yoongi stays behind to wait for Sumi as she locks the car.

 

“Ready?” Yoongi smiles kindly, holding his hand out for her to hold. Unable to help herself, Sumi wraps her arm around his instead as they follow the others to the sand.

“The last one in does dishes!” Hoseok yells as he sprints into the water, followed by Jennie and Namjoon. Jennie squeals as the cold waves smash into her. Hoseok and Namjoon laugh at her, splashing amongst each other.

Yoongi leads Sumi into the water.

“We’ll do the dishes together,” He smirks darkly as he grabs her hands, walking backwards into the water.

“Why are you giving me that look?” Sumi pouts, looking down at the water so she doesn’t have to see his dark eyes. He pulls her to his side, chuckling quietly.

“You look really nice today,” He whispers seductively, making Sumi blush. She is wearing a bikini that has high-waisted . It’s her favourite swimwear.  

“Yah,” Sumi looks around at the others, “What if they hear?”

“Trust me, they won’t care,” Yoongi rests his hands on her waist, running his thumb over the skin on her waist.

“Still…” Sumi glances around, “It’s embarrassing,”

“Come on then,” Yoongi lets her go, grabbing her hand so he can drag her deeper into the water, “Let’s join the others,”

 

An hour or so later, they clamber out of the water, exhausted and cold. Yoongi starts on the meat on the BBQ whilst Namjoon prepares the salad and bread for the burgers. Sumi and Hoseok watch on from the picnic table as Jennie goes to get changed.

“That was fun,” Hoseok sighs, “I wish we could do this every weekend,”

“If we did that, it would get boring,” Sumi points out, “But it is really nice today,”

“It is,” Hoseok grins as he admires the view.

“Should we help them?” Sumi asks, looking guiltily towards Yoongi.

“It’s a one-person job,” Namjoon replies from the other end of the picnic table, surrounded by food, “You’ll be more help out of our way,”

“That’s true,” Hoseok says happily, leaning back comfortably in his chair.

A little while later, Jennie exits the showers. She is wearing short denim shorts and a tight green crop top. She looks extremely attractive.

Sumi smirks, looking at Namjoon. Jennie once told Sumi that she likes Namjoon. She must have decided to finally act on her feelings.

However, Sumi’s expression slowly changes from a knowing smirk to a confused frown as Jennie passes Namjoon and walks straight to Yoongi, twisting her hair around her fingers.

She shrugs, turning back to talk to Namjoon.

“That looks good,” Sumi grins, “Thank you for preparing the food, Namjoon,”

“It’s okay, I wouldn’t be able to just sit there like you guys,” He smirks.

“Ha, funny,” Sumi rolls her eyes as Hoseok stares at Namjoon, dumbfounded.

“I… I would have helped…” He pouts.

Namjoon and Sumi laugh at Hoseok, as he looks on in confusion.

“What should we do after eating?” Sumi asks them.

Namjoon smiles, but before he can reply, his expression goes blank as he looks over Sumi’s shoulder. Sumi turns to find something she wasn’t expecting.

 

 

 

 

Yoongi flips over the burgers, smiling to himself. He hasn’t felt so at ease for a long time. Occasionally he looks over at Sumi, grinning when they make eye contact. Maybe it’ll be okay, maybe they can work this out.

Maybe they could have.

Yoongi looks up to find something blocking his way, something he shouldn’t be looking at. Yoongi’s eyes look straight at Jennie’s s. He immediately looks up at Jennie, a little shocked.

“Hey, Jennie,” Yoongi smiles nervously, hoping she didn’t notice.

“Hey, Oppa,” Jennie says quietly. Yoongi frowns but doesn’t say anything. Friends can call their older friends oppa, right?

But it’s not her calling him oppa that feels strange, it’s that Jennie has never called him oppa before.

 

“What’s up?” He asks, pushing aside his confusing thoughts.

“Well,” Jennie giggles, “We’ve never talked before, just the two of us,”

“I guess not,” Yoongi shrugs. He has a strange, nagging feeling at the back of his mind, but he ignores it. Who cares if Jennie wants to become better friends with him? What could go wrong?

“What’s your favourite colour!” She demands suddenly, resting her head on her hands and she leans over the bench beside the BBQ. Her cleavage is the only thing he can see.

He looks back to the meat, starting to feel that nagging feeling again.

“White,” He mumbles.

“Same!” She gasps, before giggling loudly, her hands over . When she stops laughing, she rests her hand on Yoongi’s.

“Isn’t that crazy?” She asks. Yoongi gently pulls his hand out from under hers.

“I guess so,” He laughs nervously.

“Your turn,” She smirks, moving around the bench so she’s standing closer to Yoongi, “Ask me a question,”

As soon as Yoongi starts to feel uncomfortable, he realizes something. Jennie is Sumi’s best friend. They have known each other longer than he has known Sumi. Surely Jennie wouldn’t actually be flirting with him. Maybe he has just never noticed her flirtatious personality. Or maybe she feels guilty for not being nicer to him when he first started dating Sumi so she’s being extra nice.

 

Clinging to this thought, Yoongi laughs.

“Sumi talks to me about you,” Yoongi says, “So I’m not really curious about anything,”

Jennie frowns for a second, staring at Yoongi with sad eyes. Before Yoongi can question her reaction, her bright smile returns. She shuffles a little closer, so close it is impossible for her shoulder to not brush against him.

“I’m not here to talk about Sumi,” She whispers, “I’m here to get to know you,”

Yoongi frowns down at her. As much as he’d like to ignore the signs, it’s too obvious now. Jennie is flirting with him.

He steps away from her, putting a fair distance between them as he laughs awkwardly.

“That’s funny, Jennie,” Yoongi says, “But that’s a bit… weird,”

Jennie smirks at him before making a meal of looking at Sumi, as if she just noticed she was only 10 metres from them.

“Oops!” She giggles, stepping closer again, “It’s okay, we’ll talk later,”

She winks before spinning around and walking over to the picnic table. She starts talking to Hoseok just like she normally does, nowhere near as flirty as she was with him. He looks at Namjoon, but he’s looking at Sumi, frowning. Yoongi looks at Sumi, who is staring down at her drink, her jaw tense.

Did she notice?

The nagging feeling starts to fester, slowly turning into bubbling guilt.

 

 

 

 

Jennie smirks to herself, watching her friends squirm and awkwardly watch the uncomfortable scenario. Sumi is angry and upset. Jennie has known her long enough to know that when Sumi clenches her jaw, she’s furious. Namjoon keeps giving Jennie questioning looks which, she returns with a piercing glance. He seems to understand what’s going on, but Jennie isn’t surprised.

Since the other day in school, when Sumi put her down and ridiculed her when she was seeking reassurance, Jennie has been cold with her. Sumi hasn’t noticed, which didn’t surprise Jennie. But when she was sitting at home, letting the anger boil and fester, she came up with a plan.

Yoongi and Sumi are ignoring their feelings, and not addressing their failing relationship. So, she has decided to push it to the brink.

She grabbed her iest clothes and flirted with Yoongi. He’s picked up on it, but he seems to be confused.

 

“Yoongi oppa,” Jennie bats her eyelids, ignoring Namjoon’s accusatory stare and Sumi’s death glare, “This meat is delicious, did you make it with love?” She giggles. Yoongi smiles, laughing at Jennie’s ‘joke’.

“I guess,” he shrugs.

“It’s amazing,” She brings her arms closer to her body, accentuating her cleavage for Yoongi. So far, he has glanced at her chest 10 times since she’s changed, more than he’s even looked at Sumi today. Either it’s too obvious, or he just can’t help it.

Smirking, Jennie grabs her drink, staring at Yoongi as she places her lips over the straw.

“What should we do now?” Hoseok cuts in, laughing awkwardly, “I feel like playing with the beach ball,”

“That sounds like fun!” Jennie laughs, “If we play volleyball, I want Yoongi on my team,” She winks at Yoongi.

“Volleyball sounds good,” Namjoon says, “But I want to be on Yoongi’s team,”

Namjoon glares at Jennie, giving her a look that plainly says: “Watch it, Jennie”.

Jennie ignores him, pouting a little.

“That’s no fun,” She sighs, “I know! Let’s play truth or dare!”

Sumi looks up, her eyes angry slits of fury.

“That’s… fun,” Hoseok smiles, “Who wants to go first?”

“I’ll go first!” Jennie replies. She points at Yoongi, winking, “Truth or dare?”

“Truth…” Yoongi murmurs, looking around nervously.

“Who was your first love?” Jennie smirks. He doesn’t reply, looking straight at Namjoon.

 

Jennie and Namjoon have a strange relationship. They talk a lot, and Namjoon confides a lot of things in her. One of those things is Yoongi’s first love. Yoongi only started liking Sumi after she confessed to him. His first love was a random girl from school, who rejected him. To Jennie’s knowledge, Sumi has no idea.

 

“Sumi, of course,” Yoongi smiles at her. Sumi’s expression softens a little, making Jennie furious.

I didn’t want to play my wildcard, but I guess I have no choice.

“Really?” Jennie smirks, “That’s not what I heard,”

Namjoon’s eyes bore into the side of her head, but she continues to ignore him. Yoongi looks taken aback, almost nervous. Hoseok just leans back, watching everything unfold with a blank expression. Sumi sees all this and decides to glare at Yoongi.

“Jennie,” Namjoon murmurs, “What are you doing?”

“No,” Sumi snaps, “I want to know what she’s talking about,” Sumi folds her arms, “I was told that I was Yoongi’s first love,”

 

Silence.

Yoongi clears his throat.

“You were, I guess,”

“Technically not,” Jennie finishes, her devilish smirk still plastered to her face, “He confessed to a girl and got rejected only a month before you two started dating,”

Sumi’s mouth drops open as Namjoon rubs his face with his hands.

“Sumi…” Yoongi leans forward, grabbing Sumi’s hand. Sumi pulls away, her nostrils flaring.

“Jennie,” Namjoon grabs her hand, pulling her to her feet, “We need to talk,”

“Yah!” Jennie tries to pull from his grip, but he refuses to let go.

 

As soon as they are out of earshot and out of sight, he turns to her.

“What the hell?” Namjoon snaps, “What are you doing right now?”

“It’s her fault!” Jennie screams, tears falling down her cheeks as embarrassment finally hits her, “I just wanted my revenge!”

Jennie explains what happened in the cafeteria, crying more and more as she continues to talk.

Namjoon’s expression softens, but he’s still stern.

“Then talk to her,” Namjoon says, annoyed, “All you have done is ruin your friendship,”

“Honestly,” Jennie scoffs, “They need to address their issues anyway. Plus, why did Yoongi lie about her being his first love? She wouldn’t have been upset if he was honest from the beginning,”

“That’s not the point here,” Namjoon sighs, “We are not meant to get involved in their relationship like this,”

Jennie goes silent, wrapping her arms around herself.

“I thought you were better than that,” Namjoon says coldly, before turning and walking towards the beach. Jennie bites her lip as she realizes her feelings for Namjoon will never be reciprocated, not after what she just did.

After a while, Namjoon turns to look at her, smiling kindly.

“Come on,” He gestures for her to follow him, “We need to give them time to talk,”

Jennie smiles and follows him, feeling more and more guilty.

Why did I do that?

Why?

 

 

 

 

“I’ll just…” Hoseok coughs and stands, rushing off towards the beach as the silence stretches between Sumi and Yoongi. Once he’s gone, Sumi looks up at Yoongi. He’s watching her warily.

“Firstly,” Sumi starts.

“Sumi, let me explain,”

“No, Yoongi,” Sumi snaps, “Just answer my questions so I can organize my thoughts,”

He nods, looking grim.

“Firstly,” She starts again, “Is what Jennie said true?”

Yoongi stares at her for a moment, before nodding.

“I just… wanted you to see my feelings as sincere,” he reasons. Sumi rolls her eyes.

“Secondly,” She leans forward, “What the was that with Jennie?”

“What do you mean?”

“She was all over you and you didn’t even care!”

“I didn’t realize,” Yoongi squirms uncomfortably, “She’s your friend, I wasn’t expecting her to flirt with me,”

“Really? So staring at her was just your ‘confusion’?” Sumi air quotes, folding her arms. Yoongi opens his mouth to respond, but he closes it again. Instead, he shrugs.

“It wasn’t on purpose,” He mumbles, looking away from her. Sumi scoffs before standing up. Yoongi looks up at her, worried.

“What are you doing?” He asks quickly.

“I’m calling my parents so we can go home,” Sumi snaps, “I don’t want to spend another second at this goddamn beach,”

Yoongi sighs angrily, making Sumi raise her eyebrows threateningly.

“What are you angry about?” She looks around, “I’m not the one who flirted with someone!”

Yoongi stands up as well, glaring at her.

“I think you’re angry because you keep thinking about my dream to go to America,” He rushes, “I think you were waiting for something to attack me for,”

Sumi opens flabbergasted.

“You were just staring at my friend's s!” Sumi yells, “Problems or not, I would still be mad!”

“That’s not what I meant, and you know it!” He growls, “You’re looking for a way out! You’ve given up on me!”

Sumi stops, staring at him in shock.

“Given up?” Sumi mumbles, “I wasn’t suggesting we break up, Yoongi,”

 

The silence stretches as they stare at each other, unable to voice their feelings for lack of words to describe them.

Sumi sighs deeply as a tear slides down her cheek.

“You considered breaking up with me?” she whispers. Yoongi doesn’t respond, he just watches her hopelessly, unable to explain his thoughts at this time.

After a moment, Sumi wipes her face and pulls out her phone, dialling her parent's number. As she steps away to talk to them, Yoongi starts packing their things up, feeling numb and empty.

 

Is this it? Is this the end?

 

 

 

Oooo little bit of drama~

Sub, upvote, comment, tell me how I'm doing x