Chapter 18

Parallel Lines

Chapter 18

 

3 YEARS LATER

 

Yoongi smiles down at his phone, butterflies blossoming in his stomach. His hands are shaking slightly with nervousness and excitement. He is looking at his favourite photo of Sumi with adoration. He can’t stop smiling, knowing he is about to see her again after being away for 3 years. 3 whole years without calls, messages, or seeing her face.

I’ll be home soon.

Wait for me, Sumi.

Of course, he knows that they are no longer together. He recalls the message she sent him all those years ago. He still has it on his phone, as he refuses to delete it. He remembers a few lines from the text from time to time after reading it so often.

Half of me wants to see you, to hug you, to kiss you.

I’ve realized that what I need is for you to be happy.

Hopefully, we can grow as people and when you return we can date again.

I hope you are happy.

Goodbye.

On the flight home, Yoongi has written a whole album’s worth of songs. Yoongi only likes half of them, but he knows he’s ready to be the musician he wants to be. The ones he doesn’t like are too raw, too full of emotion. Some have hateful lyrics towards Sumi, and some beg for her to return, worshipping the ground she walks on.

Yoongi doesn’t want to be like that.

He wants to be a man of promise and a man of truth. His American friends called him ‘Savage’ and ‘blunt’. But he prefers those words to ‘betrayal’ and ‘liar’.

 

“We have 3 hours left of our flight,” Namjoon informs Yoongi, “Are you ready?”

Yoongi nods and doesn’t say anything. He wants to see her, but then again he doesn’t. Being unable to get in contact with her has made Yoongi’s head a mess. He can’t sort or voice his emotions because the words can’t reach her.

Almost a billion times these words have appeared in Yoongi’s head:

What if she has moved on?

Each time he shrugs it off. Surely, she wouldn’t move on. She loves him, she said so herself.

3 years is a long time.

Yoongi forces himself to open his new producing computer and work on a song. He can’t spend the next 3 hours thinking about Sumi. He has a job and he needs to do it.

 

Namjoon watches Yoongi for a moment, his heart aching. He looks down at the messages from Jennie, frowning deeply.

 

JEN: I CAN’T WAIT TO SEE YOU!

JEN: WE’RE HERE WAITING X

JOON: Everyone?

JEN: Well… almost everyone…

JOON: Who’s not there?

JEN: It’s just me.

JOON: Where is Jungkook, Hoseok and Sumi?

JEN: Busy… work and stuff.

JOON: Don’t you and Jungkook work at the same place?

JEN: I’ll explain when you get here. It’s pretty complicated.

JOON: Can’t you just message it to me?

JEN: No. Don’t worry about it. I just have so much gossip for you! :D

JOON: Gossip?

JEN: Yeah! So much drama floats around the hospital! The dramas are actually pretty accurate.

JOON: Has some hot doctor been flirting with you?

JEN: No way! :P

JOON: Better not be… they’ll be on my next diss album…

JEN: Cute~ I’ll see you soon!

JOON: Bye baby x

 

He has been dating Jennie for 3 years. She is not telling him something. Has Jungkook been flirting with Jennie? Is Sumi on her deathbed? Is Hoseok okay? What has happened?

Namjoon contemplates this conundrum for almost an hour before deciding to follow Yoongi and pour himself into his work.

 

 

 

 

“NAMJOON!” Yoongi cringes as Jennie runs up to Namjoon, jumping into his arms. She almost smashes into his face as she kisses him passionately. Yoongi looks away, looking around for the others. He begins fiddling with his luggage as if checking for breakages or something. In reality, he feels awkward.

“I missed you so much!” Jennie squeals, tears of joy running down her face. Namjoon wipes them away, holding her face still.

“I’m back now, don’t worry,” He grins, “Let’s go eat,” Jennie slides out of arms and grabs his hand tightly as if she never wants to let him go again.

“Wait,” Yoongi stops them, frowning at Jennie, “Where are the others?”

Jennie’s expression goes blank, not giving anything away.

“Hoseok is at the police academy,” Jennie sighs, “I’ve seen him only on his holidays once a year for the past 3 years,”

“So they’re all busy?” Yoongi sighs, “I see,”

“Don’t worry,” Jennie laughs, “We’ll have some food and soju tonight,”

“They’re all coming?”

“Just Hoseok,” Jennie says, “He has a day off today. Sumi and Jungkook might be coming, but I don’t know,”

“How is Sumi?” Yoongi demands, “Do you have her phone number? Can I see her? Where is she?”

“Woah, Woah, Woah,” Namjoon puts his hands up for Yoongi to stop, “We’ll see them all eventually. They have jobs too,”

Namjoon gives Yoongi a look that plainly tells him he is being too clingy. He knows he shouldn’t be asking so many questions about his ex, but he wants to see her. He has to see her.

“Just give me her number,” Yoongi snaps at Jennie. Jennie pulls out her phone and quickly pulls up her contacts. She gives Yoongi Sumi’s number, but she looks wary.

“Don’t call her back if she doesn’t answer,” Jennie informs him, “She gets very angry if someone keeps calling her,”

“Alright,” Yoongi smirks, “Anything else?”

“If she doesn’t answer then she is busy with her producer,” Jennie says, “Send her a text instead,”

“Producer?” Yoongi asks as he begins following the love birds to the exit.

“Oh! I forgot to tell you guys!” Jennie jumps up and down, too excited for words.

“What is it?” Namjoon asks.

“Well, Sumi has written 4 books since you guys have been away,” She explains, “And her most recent book is being made into a drama!”

“Oh wow!” Namjoon gasps, “That’s amazing! When we see her, we should congratulate her!”

“Definitely!” Jennie beams, “I’m so proud of her. She is getting so much money for the production of this drama,”

“Wow…” Yoongi smiles to himself, pride swelling like a balloon in his chest. He has never felt more proud of her in his life.

 

“Now, do you guys want to drop your things off or get some food?” Jennie asks as she starts unlocking her new car. She got this car a few months ago, just after she got her license, bombarding both Yoongi and Namjoon with pictures and messages.

“Just take us home,” Namjoon smiles, “I know I have a lot to talk about with my parents and my mum has food prepared. What about you, Yoongi?”

“Yeah, just take me home,” Yoongi mumbles, still feeling let down about not seeing Sumi.

“Oh! I almost forgot!” Jennie blurts as Namjoon and Yoongi climb into the car with her, “Your mother has invited me to dinner tonight as well!”

“I thought you already met my parents?” Namjoon queries.

“Yeah, but your mother is a little old-fashioned,” She giggles, “She wants you to introduce me properly,”

“I should have known,” Namjoon grins.

 

Yoongi sits in silence as Namjoon and Jennie catch up. Namjoon’s hand is on Jennie’s leg as she drives them away from the airport and into the city.

Yoongi ignores their conversation, feeling jealous of their love and their sickening devotion. As much as he craves it, he doesn’t want to hear it right now.

Where is she?

 

Soon, they reach Yoongi’s house. Yoongi grabs his things and walks over the Namjoon’s window, a fake smile plastered to his face.

“So, I’ll see you guys later?” He asks.

“Of course,” Jennie beams, “We’ll meet you at our favourite BBQ place! Here’s the address,”

Jennie texts Yoongi the address for the BBQ place.

“We go there all the time!” Jennie grins.

“Sumi as well?”

Jennie makes an approving sound, laughing hysterically.

“Yeah! I have so many drunk stories for you!” Jennie snickers.

“Alright, I’ll see you guys there at 6,”

“See you!” Namjoon waves as he winds up the window. Jennie speeds off, leaving Yoongi standing in front of his house, his smile sliding from his face.

He turns to head inside, only to find his parents standing in the doorway.

“Oh, my baby! I’m so proud of you!” Yoongi’s mother rushes into his arms. Obviously, she is talking about the song that was recently released that topped the charts for weeks that Yoongi produced. Apparently, Yoongi’s mother taped the interview the artist had where they mentioned Yoongi’s name.

“Thanks, ma,” Yoongi smiles over her shoulder at his father, who gives him a thumbs up.

 

Eventually, his mother helps him inside whilst his father brings his suitcase upstairs. She drags him into the dining room where the table is full of Yoongi’s favourite Korean dishes, many of which he hasn’t eaten for 3 years.

“Oh! Ma!” Yoongi grins at his mother, “You shouldn’t have,”

“Nothing better than Korean food, right?” She beams as she ushers him into a chair, “Eat up!”

He sits down and consumes as much as he can, which is more than he thought he could. Soon, with his parent's help, they empty all of the dishes on the table. During the meal, they talk about all the things that have happened in Korea and in America, even the things they have already mentioned.

 

“Have you heard about Sumi’s good news?” Yoongi asks. His mother freezes up. She gets angry every time Yoongi mentions her, as she already knows of their breakup.

“No,” She clips.

“Well, Sumi’s new book is being made into a TV drama!” Yoongi declares happily. However, his mother looks at him coldly.

“So?” She scoffs, “Who cares what she is doing!”

“Son,” His father chimes in, “Did you meet anyone overseas? Did you…” He clears his throat, “Move on?”

Yoongi looks between his parents, feeling angrier and angrier by the second.

“No,” Yoongi snaps, “And I don’t plan to be with anyone but Sumi,”

“Yoongi…” Yoongi’s mother looks at him pityingly, “It’s been 3 years…”

Yoongi slams his spoon and chopsticks down, glaring down at his parents.

“I’m going to start on my packing,” Yoongi mumbles, “Namjoon and I move into our apartment next week, so I should start sorting my things,”

 

Yoongi’s mother clutches her chest in sorrow as he rushes upstairs, slamming his door behind him. He feels guilty for reminding his mother of his coming move, especially after she made him a beautiful lunch. But he is so angry at them for making him feel worse than he already does. Is it so hard for them to just support him? He doesn’t need 2 more voices telling him to let her go.

 

Even though he told them he is packing his things, he has no intention of packing so early. He sits on his bed and pulls out his phone, finding Sumi’s new number in his contacts.

He decides to message her.

 

YOONGI: Hey! It’s me, Min Yoongi. I’ve arrived in Korea and I can’t wait to see you tonight. Let’s catch up.

 

Yoongi looks down at his phone and waits. He unpacks his suitcase, sorting his dirty clothes from his clean clothes.

He checks his phone. No answer.

He puts all his clothes away and takes his dirty clothes to the laundry, apologizing to his mother on the way down.

He checks his phone. No answer.

He grabs his toiletries and takes them to the bathroom before pulling out his new production equipment to replace his old equipment.

He checks his phone. No answer.

He sets up all of his equipment, putting his old equipment in a box to be sold or given away later. As he slides the box under his bed, he receives a message.

He grapples with his phone and opens the message. However, he finds the message to be disappointing.

 

SUMI: Welcome back to Korea! See you guys later.

 

“That’s it?” Yoongi says aloud, glaring down at the phone, “We haven’t spoken for 3 years and that’s all she has to say to me?”

Yoongi lets out a loud sigh and begins pacing the room. He wants to see her, but he doesn’t know where she is. He doesn’t want to ask her where she is, or he’ll come off as clingy. He can’t ask Jennie, because he knows for certain that she won’t tell him. So… could he go looking for her?

Where would she be at this time of day? Is she working right now?

I don’t know and I don’t care.

Yoongi agrees with himself, grabbing his phone, wallet and keys before rushing downstairs and out the front door. He gives his parents a hasty goodbye hug, leaving them a little dumbfounded. He heads down the street towards their favourite ice cream shop.

 

It takes him a while. He forgot exactly how far the ice cream shop was.

When he reaches it, he can’t see her anywhere. He jogs down the mall, but he can’t find her. She mustn’t be here.

Or she has a new favourite place to hang out.

A lightbulb clicks inside Yoongi’s brain as he opens his phone, pulling up the address for the BBQ place. She might not be there, but he is desperate at this point.

 

He rushes to the BBQ place, which is not too far from the mall. He looks inside but he can’t see her.

“You alright?” one of the staff asks, eyeing him warily. Yoongi bows and shakes his head.

“I’m looking for someone,” Yoongi starts explaining Sumi to the staff member. To Yoongi’s luck, the old man knows who he is talking about.

“Ahh, I know her,” He tsks and shakes his head, “For a celebrity, she is quite the drunk. Her friend and I have both told her she needs to calm it down or she’ll be caught by dispatch,”

“Is she already considered a celebrity?” Yoongi grins.

“I don’t know, really… maybe,” He shrugs, “Can’t be too careful, can you?”

“That’s true,” Yoongi nods, “Have you seen her lately?”

“Huh? Oh yeah!” The old man chuckles, “She was just here having lunch with…”

“Where did she go?” Yoongi interrupts.

He points down the street.

“If I know her well enough I’d say she’d be heading home that way,” He says. Yoongi starts running down the street, yelling his thanks over his shoulder.

Yoongi runs down the street, looking through the crowd for any sign of her chocolate hair. He looks for over an hour, running up and down the street. He is close to giving up, ready to just give in and message her.

 

Suddenly, he spots her.

 

He stops running and smiles, watching her walk down the path away from him. She just left an ice cream shop. Her long hair is out, swaying in the breeze. He remembers running his hands through her hair and shivers.

He steps around the people in front of him, ready to rush over to her when she spins around, her eyes on someone else.

He freezes and steps to the side, hiding behind a sign for one of the restaurants. He watches them, his heart racing.

He’s not sure why he is hiding, but something about her smile made his stomach flip. She used to smile at him like that. The man she is smiling at walks over to her, a milkshake in each hand. The man looks up at the sky and smiles. Yoongi can see enough of his face to make an educated guess. It is Jungkook.

Frowning, he continues to watch them secretly. Jungkook has gently given her the drink. She seems to thank him before holding her hand out for him to take.

Yoongi gasps as Jungkook clasps her hand, swinging it between them.

They are holding hands… Sumi and Jungkook are holding hands…

 

Yoongi spins around and runs in the opposite direction. He can’t see, he can’t hear, he can’t feel. The only thought he has in his head is that he needs to get as far away as he can from them. From the two people holding hands. From the love of his life holding the hand of another.

 

Sumi… Please…

 

Yoongi roughly wipes away the tears that are forming in his eyes.

 

Sumi… and Jungkook?