Chapter 32

Parallel Lines

Chapter 32

 

Sumi sighs, flopping comfortably onto Jennie’s plush sofa. She lets out a small groan of frustration. Her dark hair falls over her face and shoulders. She has on her favourite crop top – a yellow sunflower and light-washed high-waisted jeans.

“What’s wrong?” Jennie chuckles, bringing two small coffees over to the lounge room. Jennie is wearing a purple cropped cami top with puffy sleeves and lace, and an asymmetrical skort.

“Just writer's block,” Sumi sighs.

“I thought you finished your manuscript?” Jennie frowns, “Isn’t that why we’re celebrating tonight?”

 

It has been a week since Sumi saw Jungkook. She hasn’t seen or heard from him since they met up at the Korean BBQ restaurant. He has been communicating more with Hoseok while trying to message Jennie and Namjoon. Both of them are ignoring him. He will be heading to Busan tomorrow.

During this time, Sumi managed to finish her book, send it in and get approved. It’ll be officially available in stores on Monday.

So, tonight they are celebrating Sumi’s 5th book released, the second one in the series she is working on. Yoongi and Namjoon have also released a new album, which immediately topped the charts.

 

“I did,” Sumi turns to look at Jennie, “But I got an email from Director Lee this morning,”

“The one who directed your drama?” Jennie frowns, “What did he say?”

“He asked me to write a script for a drama. He sent through a synopsis of his idea and told me to write it however I want. Like a collaborative piece, if you will,”

Jennie squeals with happiness, clapping enthusiastically.

“Congratulations!” Jennie cheers, “Isn’t that a good thing?”

Sumi pouts and groans again.

“It is… but I don’t even know where to start! What if he doesn’t like what I write? What if my script doesn’t meet his expectations, and his ideas? What if he becomes disappointed and never wants to work with me again?”

“Sumi,” Jennie smirks, “Shut up,” Sumi looks up at her, pouting even more.

“Why?”

“You can’t write because all you can think about is what if this and what if that. You need a distraction!” Jennie grins, moving closer to Sumi, “You know, a very attractive distraction will be attending tonight’s celebration…”

“Ew, no! I’m not going to distract myself with Yoongi!” Sumi gasps dramatically, “I don’t do the casual… stuff… thing…”

“Who said it would be casual?” Jennie raises her eyebrows suggestively. Sumi groans, turning away from Jennie.

“Oh come on!” Jennie moves towards her and shakes her shoulders playfully, “We all know you both have a thing for each other, it’s so obvious!” Sumi flushes deeply, turning to glare at her best friend.

“No, we don’t!” She frowns, “He probably hates me… and me? I don’t like him! We didn’t work, and I’m busy and he’s busy, and… yeah!” Sumi turns her back to her friend, folding her arms across her chest.

“Don’t lie to me, Sumi,” Jennie mumbles, placing her chin on Sumi’s shoulder, “You’re only trying to convince yourself to ignore your feelings. But the truth is you can’t stop thinking about him,”

“How would you know that?” Sumi grumbles. Jennie laughs, clutching her stomach as tears of mirth roll down her cheeks. Sumi turns back to her, frowning deeply.

“Well?” Sumi asks again, “You don’t know!”

“Hmmm, let me think,” Jennie pretends to think hard, “In just this week alone, you have asked about Jungkook once, Hoseok once, nothing about Namjoon, and you have asked about Yoongi…” Jennie leans in closer, grinning, “About a million times,”

“No, I haven’t!” Sumi blushes, “He’s just… ignoring me,”

Sumi has messaged Yoongi 5 times during the week about various things. Each time, he left her on read. She has no idea if she has done something wrong or if it is just the way Yoongi is.

“Oh? Well when Namjoon ignored you, you didn’t even mention it to me,”

“Yeah? Well… that’s different!”

Jennie chuckles, staring at her confused friend who is trying to convince everyone around her that she is definitely not in denial.

 

Jennie continues to poke fun at Sumi, teasing her and pointing out behaviours Sumi didn’t realise were insanely obvious to everyone. Eventually, their friends arrive together.

 

“Hey, guys!” Jennie says cheerfully as she opens her front door, revealing Hoseok, Yoongi, and Namjoon. Hoseok looks streetwear-ready, wearing light-washed jeans, a plain shirt, a puffy jacket, and a bucket hat. Namjoon looks ready to party, wearing black ripped jeans, a graphic-printed button-up, and a black shirt. Yoongi is in his usual comfort attire, with black jeans, a plain shirt, and a jersey.

 

“Hey!” Hoseok cheers, holding up two bags of alcohol. Namjoon is holding 3 boxes of pizza and Yoongi has a grocery bag with an assortment of snacks.

“Hey, baby,” Namjoon smirks, giving Jennie a quick kiss. The three men step inside, taking off their outside shoes and sliding on Jennie’s guest slippers.

 

They make their way into the kitchen, sorting out the bags of goodies. Hoseok starts opening a can of beer for everyone, preparing the shot glasses and flavoured soju bottles with Jennie’s help. Namjoon grabs some plates and sets the table. Yoongi pulls out some big bowls and plates to fill with chips, Gimbap, mochi, and other snacks.

 

Sumi enters the area and looks around. Now it is her turn to find a way to help out. Jennie looks up at her and nods her head towards Yoongi, a mischievous look in her eyes. Sumi rolls her eyes and moves towards him. She picks up two bowls Yoongi has finished filling.

“Leave it,” He murmurs, taking them from her hands and leaving the kitchen. Sumi frowns and turns to the other plates. There are two more plates, one with mochi and the other filled with an assortment of convenience store Gimbap. She picks them up and follows him out to the lounge room. She places them beside the bowls he placed down, but he is nowhere to be found. Frowning, Sumi looks up at Jennie.

 

Jennie is talking quietly with Namjoon, gesturing towards her bathroom. She looks confused and slightly frustrated. Eventually, she makes eye contact with Sumi and shrugs.

Sumi shakes off the unusual feeling in the pit of her stomach and finds a seat at the dining table with the others.

 

After a moment, Yoongi joins them. He continues to ignore Sumi, leaving her confused and frustrated. What did she do to him to make him act this way? Is it because of that scandal? Or Jungkook? Did he regret kissing her? What’s his problem?

 

The others are chatting happily amongst themselves. Jennie looks up at Sumi and winks, before loudly asking Hoseok a question.

“Hey, Hoseok… how’s Jungkook?”

“Jungkook?” Hoseok frowns, “He’s doing well. He goes to Busan tomorrow,”

“Busan?” Yoongi pipes up, “Why is he going there?” Hoseok shrugs.

“Family? Fresh start? I’m not entirely sure,” Hoseok chuckles awkwardly, “Anyway, how’s the album going?”

Yoongi visibly relaxes as he chats away about the new album and all the love and support they are receiving. But still, Yoongi does not look at Sumi. Even when she speaks up or asks a question, he won’t look at her. He responds coldly and acknowledges her, but he won’t look at her.

 

This continues for most of the night. Jennie keeps trying to push them to interact, asking questions that force Yoongi to address Sumi, but nothing is helping. Soon, drunk Jennie has had enough.

“Alright, I have an idea!” She grins mischievously, “Truth or drink,”

“Wow, really? Aren’t we a bit old for that?” Yoongi whines.

“Why? Worried about the truth?” Jennie responds.

“I’m down,” Namjoon says, “But no one better ask me anything weird,”

Jennie chuckles, “Let’s go!”

They head to the lounge room, sitting in a circle on the floor with a bottle of soju each. In order, it goes Sumi, Yoongi, Namjoon, Hoseok, and then Jennie beside Sumi.

 

“I’ll go first!” Jennie points to Hoseok, “Hoseok! Do you have anyone you like?”

Hoseok scoffs.

“No way, my job comes first,” He smirks proudly before his face falls as the realisation hits him. Namjoon stifles his laughter.

“Alright, Namjoon!” Hoseok points to Namjoon, “Do you have any regrets in life?”

“Oh my god, Hoseok,” Namjoon groans, “Why did you have to ask something so deep?”

They continue like this for a while, asking a variety of questions. Some weird, some deep, and some simple questions.

“What was your first word?”

“What is your ideal type?”

“What are your values?”

“What is your all-time favourite song?”

“Who is your celebrity crush?”

“Do you have a birthmark and where is it?”

“What is your deepest, darkest secret?” (Hoseok drank for that one).

Eventually, it is Jennie’s turn again.

“Yoongi!” She points, her smile slipping from her face, “Why have you been so weird with Sumi tonight?”

 

Silence.

 

Yoongi glances briefly at Sumi and clears his throat. He grabs the soju bottle, ready to drink. Namjoon stops his hand, frowning.

“I don’t think you should drink for that one,”

Yoongi sighs, giving Jennie a disgruntled look. He turns to Sumi.

“I saw you hugging Jungkook and he gave you a kiss,” Yoongi says bluntly, looking back at Jennie, “Happy?”

Jennie looks conflicted, but she nods.

“Hugging Jungkook?” Sumi frowns, “Last week?”

“Yes,” Yoongi says curtly.

“I don’t understand…” Sumi frowns, turning her body so she’s facing Yoongi properly, “Why are you angry?”

“I’m not angry,” Yoongi snaps. He takes a deep breath and continues, “I’m just…”

Everyone looks away awkwardly. How do they respond to that?

“Are you upset because I forgave him or something?” Sumi frowns.

“You met up with the man that abused you and hugged and kissed him before he left,” Yoongi grumbles, “Of course I’m annoyed,”

“Well, firstly,” Sumi chuckles sarcastically, “I didn’t kiss him. He kissed my head. Secondly, it was a friendly hug that he initiated, nothing more. You weren’t there, you can’t say whether it was warranted or not,”

“I wasn’t allowed to be there,” Yoongi responds, looking irritated.

“I wonder why… you misunderstand everything,” Sumi retorts.

“Yeah, whatever…” he grumbles, looking away from her.

 

“Why are you so annoyed anyway? It’s not like we’re dating or anything,” Sumi snaps.

“Alright,” Hoseok chuckles uncomfortably, “Let’s… let’s change the subject…”

“My turn,” Yoongi points at Sumi, “Do you have feelings for Jungkook?”

“Guys…” Namjoon murmurs, shuffling in his spot, “Maybe we should stop…”

“No, I don’t,” Sumi retorts angrily, “I hate him. I hate that he hurt me, I hate that he made me lose trust in people, and I hate that you are treating me like because you’re jealous!”

“Uh oh…” Jennie breathes.

 

Awkward silence again. Sumi and Yoongi continue to glare at each other.

“My turn,” Sumi snaps, pointing at Yoongi.

“Alright, that’s enough!” Namjoon looks between Sumi and Yoongi before sighing deeply, “No more fighting. Let’s do something else,”

 

Hoseok ends up getting everyone excited for some more karaoke. Jennie sets up the machine with Yoongi, while the others bring the food and drinks into the lounge room, placing them on the coffee table set to the side.

 

“I’m not jealous… I’m just annoyed…” Yoongi murmurs quietly to Jennie, “Don’t misunderstand,”

“I’m not having this conversation with you, Yoongi,” Jennie whispers, pulling out the microphones.

“Why? Don’t you believe me?” He mutters, trying to speak quietly with his rising annoyance.

“Would you believe you?” Jennie snaps, whispering angrily, “You beat up Jungkook multiple times, you were wanting to propose to her 4 months ago, and you get annoyed every time she mentions, talks about, or talks to another dude,” Jennie gives him a bewildered expression, “What is with you two and so desperately not wanting to admit your feelings for each other, huh? Just and get it over with already I’m sick of the drama,”

Yoongi blushes.

“Uh… I mean… why would we… does she… like me?” Yoongi stutters.

“Nah Sherlock,” Jennie grumbles, “Now help me with this stupid thing,”

 

Yoongi grins and quickly sets up the karaoke. The rest of the night is the same, only this time Yoongi keeps trying to talk to Sumi and she keeps ignoring him.

“Oh my god, I’m sick of it,” Jennie mutters to Hoseok, watching Yoongi try to grab Sumi’s attention.

“It’s ridiculous…” He tsks.

“We need to set them up,” Namjoon chimes in.

“ASAP,” They say in unison, watching the interaction with fascination and bewilderment.  

 

 

 

 

Today is the day.

Jungkook sighs, sorting out his 2 suitcases and belongings. He has 2 big suitcases and a carry-on that contains his laptop. He has been staying in this hotel for a while now. Luckily for him, they provide long-term stay discounts.

He has everything he has ever owned in these two suitcases. Clothes, toiletries, hobby items, couple items he purchased with Sumi…

Jungkook shakes his head at the useless thought. He can’t change the past. He can only ensure he doesn’t make the same mistakes again.

Mistake… Jungkook scoffs to himself. It wasn’t a mistake; it was a deliberate action. A mistake has connotations around it. Like he didn’t mean it, or it wasn’t that bad. But it was. He hurt her so badly. But he can’t take it back.

Maybe one day I’ll deserve her forgiveness, Jungkook picks up his bags, frowning to himself, one day I’ll feel like I can be her friend.

But not today.

 

“Are you ready?” Jungkook looks up to find Hoseok standing in the doorway. He nods, moving towards him. Hoseok takes one of his bags, smiling kindly.

Don’t smile at me… I don’t deserve it.

They head down to Hoseok’s car, load it with Jungkook’s belongings, and head to the airport.

 

Jungkook is planning on moving in with his parents temporarily while he finishes his degree. He will work at a small, local clinic until he feels confident enough to open his own practice. While he is studying, he will be attending therapy sessions online, and group therapy sessions with other people who struggle with mental health issues.

 

Hoseok has promised to visit often, and he made Jungkook promise to visit too. He has been texting Jungkook every day to ensure he is okay and talk things through. There are so many things Jungkook does that he didn’t stop to reflect on. Like his trust issues, his loneliness, his abandonment issues, and his control issues. All of these things Hoseok and his therapist have pointed out to him. He would have remained an oblivious jerk if it wasn’t for Hoseok. He owes him his life.

 

“What’s going through your head right now?” Hoseok asks after driving in silence for so long.

“Just thinking…” Jungkook murmurs, “Didn’t want to interrupt you…”

“Nonsense, tell me,” Hoseok chuckles, glancing at Jungkook.

“Okay…” Jungkook bites his lip, “I just realised… I owe you my life, Hoseok,”

Hoseok frowns.

“How’d you get that?” He responds.

“Well… I don’t deserve your friendship, and quite honestly, I haven’t been the nicest to you…”

“Oh, shut up with that!” Hoseok snaps, “Listen, I understand that you have this guilt festering inside you right now, but don’t you dare push me away, alright? You are the maker of your destiny. Some people just need a nudge in the right direction! I am your friend, Jungkook, and I always will be. Don’t try to convince yourself that you don’t deserve me or whatever,”

“But…”

“You know what you could do to make up for it, Jungkook?” Hoseok asks seriously.

“What?” Jungkook pipes up, curious.

“Live,” Hoseok says sternly, “Life for yourself. Love yourself. Better yourself. This is your life, okay?”

Jungkook doesn’t respond. He turns and looks out the window. Soon, he’s sobbing quietly, his head hung in shame. Hoseok holds his hand out in front of Jungkook, who takes it. He squeezes it, letting out all the guilt, the anger, the fear.

“It’s okay, Jungkook,” Hoseok mutters, “Let it all out,”

 

Soon, they are at the airport and Hoseok is looking at a puffy-eyed Jungkook, ready to board the plane.

 

“You better call… and text!” Hoseok grins. Jungkook smiles in return, sniffling slightly. Jungkook feels like a small weight has been lifted off his shoulders. It will take him a very long time to deal with the guilt that comes with his previous actions, but he can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel. With Hoseok by his side as his friend, he’ll get there. He can do this.

I can change. I can try. I got this!

 

Hoseok leans in for a hug, squeezing Jungkook tightly. Jungkook responds enthusiastically.

“I’ll see you soon, Hobi,” Jungkook murmurs, pulling from the hug. His teared-stained face lights up as he grins at Hoseok.

“You be good, see you soon,” Hoseok smirks, patting Jungkook on the back. Jungkook turns and begins heading to the gate, hope engulfing him like a contagious virus.