Chapter 29

Parallel Lines

Chapter 29

 

“Are you sure you want to stay here?” Jennie leans against Sumi’s kitchen counter, looking around at the unfamiliar environment.

She is wearing a matching blazer set again, today is lime green with a cream-coloured shirt. She brushes her long hair over her shoulder, eyeing the room cautiously. This is the first time Jennie has seen Sumi’s apartment, even though Sumi has been living in it for almost 2 years. She purchased it as soon as her popularity soared. Even though they are back to their old friendship, Jennie still feels guilty for not being there for Sumi’s life achievements. Realistically, how many young people in their 20s can say they own their own house outright? Jennie should have been there for her. But she can’t change the past. They can only work towards a comforting future as best friends again.

 

“I’ll be fine,” Sumi responds, checking the new door lock after looking around the apartment. Jungkook has already been through and collected his things. He sent her a text letting her know he is gone now. It is the only text Sumi has responded to, completely ignoring the begging and pleading.

“What if he comes back?” Jennie asks. Sumi gestures to the new door handle and bolt lock.

“He can’t come in,” Sumi smiles, tapping the bolt lock, “These ones are apparently break-in proof,”

Jennie sighs and shrugs, running her hands over the counter.

“I’ll visit as often as I can, okay?” Jennie smiles, looking up at Sumi cautiously.

“I know,” Sumi smiles, “I’ll visit often too, don’t worry too much. He’s gone,”

“Alright,” Jennie sighs, “Namjoon and I will head over after I finish work,”

“Of course,” Sumi responds, looking around wildly, “Oh my god, I have to get everything ready!”

Sumi has invited everyone over for a small gathering tonight. They all responded, saying they are attending. It has become much easier to keep up with them and organise these things after Hoseok set up another group chat.

“Don’t worry too much,” Jennie looks around the room, “It’s all pretty clean,”

Sumi rolls her eyes, smirking at her best friend.

“Yeah, it’s like you don’t know me at all,” Sumi grins, “Everything has to be perfect!”

“Fine,” Jennie giggles, “I’ll leave you to it and head back to work, okay?”

“Okay, thank you,” Sumi leads Jennie to the front door.

“See you later!” Jennie calls out as she closes the front door behind her.

 

Right! Sumi looks around at the dusty room, time to get cleaning!

 

After spending 5 hours deep cleaning the apartment, another hour choosing an outfit, and another hour showering and getting ready, Sumi feels content with how she has spent her day. She looks around at the sparkling modern tiles, the shiny stone bench, and the comfy sofa with its plump cushions and a fluffy throw. Everything looks perfect. Sumi herself is wearing distressed mom jeans with a white, loose blouse tucked in at the front, her favourite inside slippers on her feet. She has her hair styled in a loose messy bun.

 

As Sumi starts preparing snacks and drinks, she hears a knock at the door. Smiling with excitement, she heads to the front door, peering through the peephole. She finds Hoseok smiling up at her. He always looks up at the peephole, knowing Sumi will look before she opens the door. Sumi swings open the door, grinning from ear to ear.

“Hobi!” Sumi greets, “Come in!”

“Sumi!” Hoseok rushes forward, pulling Sumi in for a half hug, his hands containing bags full of more snacks and alcohol, and a duffle bag. He is wearing baggy jeans with flowers on them, a white singlet, and a kimono-style cardigan.

Sumi pulls out her guest slippers, taking the alcohol and snack bags out of Hoseok’s hands as he slides into them. He joins her in the kitchen, looking way too excited for a simple gathering. He looks around the small apartment in awe.

 

“Oh wow!” Hoseok grins, “I didn’t know you lived that rich life, Sumi,” He wiggles his eyebrows cutely, dawdling around the living space happily.

Sumi’s apartment isn’t massive, but it isn’t small. She paid quite a lot for it, but that’s just the city price. It is a 2-bedroom apartment with modern appliances and technology. She is rich enough for a stone kitchen bench, but not a robot toilet, and her apartment reflects that. It is almost 900 square feet, with most of that space being the living areas.

“I’m not that rich, Hoseok,” Sumi waves away his comment, “But it is a beautiful apartment and I’m grateful to own it,”

“Of course,” Hoseok rolls his eyes, “Anyway, ready to get drunk?”

“Wow,” Sumi scoffs, “You are pretty excited, huh?”

Hoseok grins, lifting up the duffle bag.

“I have clothes, toiletries, hangover medicine, and a pillow in here,” He grins, “I’m ready to experience a real hangover,”

“Aren’t you getting too old to want to drink that much?” Sumi teases playfully.

“Wow,” Hoseok pretends to be hurt, clutching his chest, “We are the same age you know?”

Sumi chuckles, directing him to the study, which currently has a mattress set up inside, so he can put his belongings aside.

 

As soon as Hoseok gets back, there is another knock on the door. Sumi moves forward, checking the peephole again. This time, she finds Yoongi standing outside her door. He is wearing black jeans, and a long-sleeved red shirt with writing on it.

“Hey, Yoongi,” Sumi smiles, welcoming him in.

She still feels a little awkwardness around him, but a lot of it has faded now. They have all been hanging out together more and more, allowing Sumi to become more comfortable with him. He has been back in Korea for over 3 months now, so Sumi has started to get used to the new dynamic.

“Hey, Sumi,” Yoongi responds, smiling kindly, “I brought some of my mum’s cooking,”

He lifts up the fabric bag in his hands.

“Oh!” Sumi takes the bag from Yoongi’s hands as he takes off his shoes and slides on some slippers, “It’s been a while since I have had any of your mother’s cooking,”

“I know,” Yoongi grins, opening the bag after Sumi places it on the kitchen counter, “She made some kimchi fried rice, some fried chicken, and some tteokbokki,”

Sumi and Hoseok eye the containers, completely starstruck by the amount of food provided.

“That’s awesome!” Hoseok sighs happily, “We’ll be able to have some real dinner,”

“Ma suggested it when she heard I was coming over here,” Yoongi flushes slightly, looking away from Sumi. Yoongi’s mum loved Sumi like her own daughter. She was very upset when she found out that Sumi and Yoongi were no longer together.

Sumi nods, taking the containers and putting them in the fridge for later.

 

As she starts pulling out some plates, utensils, and big bowls for the chips, Yoongi and Hoseok start talking about Suga and RM’s new album.

“It was interesting to piece together,” Yoongi says, “And it has been received well. Not as raw as the last one,”

Yoongi side glances at Sumi, looking for a reaction. Sumi heard Yoongi, but she doesn’t react. She did listen to the last album, and she knows exactly which songs were about her. However, she stays silent. She doesn’t want to bring up all those old memories. She would rather keep that in the past, even if she has to listen to the song occasionally on the radio.

 

KNOCK, KNOCK…

 

Sumi moves towards the door as Hoseok and Yoongi watch on. She looks through the peephole and spots Jennie and Namjoon waiting beyond the door. She grins and opens the door for them. Jennie is wearing a long ditsy print dress with petal sleeves. Namjoon is wearing dark relaxed jeans, and a plain white shirt with a printed button-up over top.

“Hey, guys!” Sumi beams, leading them to the guest slippers by the door.

“Hey, Sumi,” Namjoon smiles. Jennie leaps forward, wrapping her arms around Sumi’s neck.

“How are you?” She asks.

“Really good, come in!” Sumi relieves them of their bags of drinks. Jennie and Namjoon brought a bottle of red wine, a bottle of whiskey, and a carton of beer.

“Oh wow!” Hoseok stares at the drinks, “That’s a lot of alcohol!”

“Not really,” Namjoon shrugs, grabbing the beer and taking it to the fridge, “I wanted to bring more than this,”

“Well, I have quite a bit of soju,” Sumi smirks, “So I think we have enough,”

 

They decide to eat first, pulling out Yoongi’s mother’s food and heating it up. Yoongi and Sumi prepare the food, Jennie and Namjoon set the table, and Hoseok prepares the drinks. The area is all open plan, so Yoongi and Sumi are not left alone. However, occasionally they brush against each other as they bustle around the same area – the stovetop.

“Sorry,” Sumi flushes as she accidentally bumps her elbow into Yoongi’s side as he turns to grab something from the other counter.

“It’s okay,” Yoongi gives Sumi a small smile, “Small kitchen,”

“Yeah, I guess,” She laughs awkwardly, ignoring Hoseok’s watchful eyes and Jennie’s suggestive smirk.

“Wow, it smells so good!” Hoseok exclaims as he places the last glass on the dining table, “You guys are a great team!”

Sumi looks up at Yoongi. He is watching her carefully, waiting for her reaction.

“Hah, we are all a great team!” Sumi chuckles, looking away from him. Yoongi looks towards Hoseok sadly but doesn’t say anything.

 

Sumi can’t concentrate. Every time he brushes past her gently, or she bumps into him, or when he gently guides her to the side when trying to enter a specific cupboard, butterflies erupt in her stomach. How can she cook, move around the kitchen carefully, and make conversation, whilst trying to desperately bottle all her feelings all at the same time?

You can do this Sumi! She repeats the mantra in her mind, we are just friends! I can be friendly, right?

Oh my god, I’m making it awkward, aren’t I?

 

“Are you okay?” Sumi looks up to find Yoongi eyeing her warily. She soon realises she is blushing, muttering nonsense to herself so she can concentrate.

“Oh! Yeah! Just trying to concentrate, that’s all,” Sumi responds, hiding all embarrassment from her expression.

“Why are you having a hard time concentrating, Sumi?” Jennie smirks, raising her eyebrows suggestively.

“I… there’s just… I-it’s a small kitchen…” Sumi stutters, blushing again. Namjoon and Hoseok chuckle, looking at each other knowingly. Sumi frowns, trying to ignore their secret little conversation. Yoongi, however, looks more nervous than before.

As they continue plating and serving the food, Sumi notices Yoongi avoiding her. He ensures he moves around her and excuses himself instead of moving her gently out of the way.

Have I made him uncomfortable? Sumi wonders.

He’s just being considerate.

Sumi looks up at him, smiling to herself. As much as he was probably enjoying the light touching, he doesn’t want to make her uncomfortable. Now she’s worried that she has made him uncomfortable.

Wow, Sumi looks away from him, still smiling, how ironic.

 

Eventually, food is served, and they begin eating. The food is amazing, just as Sumi remembers. She used to love going to Yoongi’s house for dinner on the weekends in high school. 

“It’s so good!” Sumi sighs, putting down her utensils, “I can’t eat another bite,”

“That good, huh?” Yoongi smirks, looking up at her across the table.

“Yeah, I’ve missed this,” Sumi flushes, realising what she just said.

“I’ll ask Mum to make some more,” Yoongi smiles, “Bring it around…”

“Me too?” Hoseok asks innocently. Jennie nudges him and gives him a weird look. Hoseok takes the hint, smiling at Sumi.

“You’re so lucky,” He sighs, “I’d accept that offer if I were you,”

“Oh… okay,” Sumi looks back to Yoongi, giving him an awkward smile. He chuckles.

“So, what are we doing tonight?” Yoongi asks, changing the subject.

“Hmmm, there’s karaoke over there,” Hoseok points to the karaoke system beside Sumi’s TV, “We could drink, sing, drink some more?”

“Yeah, sounds good, what do you guys think?” Sumi looks around the table.

“I love that idea!” Jennie cheers, “Let’s do it!”

 

They divide the jobs between them. Jennie and Hoseok start dishes, Namjoon cleans the table, and Sumi begins setting up the karaoke machine. Yoongi is left with nothing to do. Awkwardly, he approaches Jennie and Hoseok expectantly.

“What’s up Yoongi?” Hoseok asks.

“Can I help?” He frowns.

“Nope,” Jennie smiles over her shoulder at him, “It’ll get too crowded. Go ask Namjoon,”

Yoongi turns to ask Namjoon, finding him sorting out the leftovers.

“Can I…?”

“Nope,” Namjoon responds, “Go ask Sumi,”

“oh,” Yoongi looks over to the lounge room. He can’t see Sumi from where he is, “Won’t that be awkward?” He whispers to Namjoon.

“It’ll be fine,” Namjoon chuckles, looking up at Yoongi with a bemused expression, “You are friends, right?”

Yoongi nods and sighs. What if she doesn’t want to be alone with me?

He makes his way away from his friends and into the lounge room. It is not a closed-off, separate room. However, a wall separates it from the other living spaces.

 

“Hey,” Yoongi clears his throat, “Do you need some help?”

Sumi looks up at Yoongi and smiles. She is squatting beside the TV, the back of the karaoke machine turned towards her.

“Sure,” Sumi responds, “I can’t figure out how to connect the karaoke machine to the TV… I plugged it in but there’s no sound?”

Yoongi shuffles forward, trying really hard not to touch her.

“Ahh, wrong cord…” Yoongi smiles, “You need to plug this one in, then switch over to HDMI 1,” Sumi frowns, looking at the jumbled cords. Why are there so many cords for these things?

“Here,” Yoongi leans forward, so he is leaning past her, his leg brushing against her knee, “I’ll show you,”

 

Yoongi grabs the right cord, threading it through the spider's web of wiring. He squats down beside her, shuffling closer. He plugs it into the machine, then into the TV.

“There,” Yoongi stands up, stepping back, “Change over to HDMI now,”

Sumi grabs the remote and does as she is told. The karaoke system appears on the TV, making Sumi sigh with relief.

“Thank you,” She stands up, rubbing the back of her neck, “I really need to sort out those cords…”

“You really do,” Yoongi sighs, teasing her, “It’s so messy… makes me miss my organised cord system at my office,”

“It’s not that bad,” Sumi frowns and pouts.

“It really is, honestly, I’m surprised your TV turns on at all,” Yoongi continues.

“Yah!” Sumi smacks his arm playfully, “I know how to work a TV!”

“Sure you do,” He chuckles, watching her become more and more infuriated with him.

 

Soon, the others enter the lounge room, arms full of soju, beer, and bowls of snacks. Yoongi and Namjoon move the coffee table to the side so they have more space to dance.

“Who is singing first?” Hoseok asks, taking a swig out of a can of beer.

“I think Jennie should go first,” Sumi smirks, “She’s an amazing singer!”

Jennie takes on the challenge, standing up proudly.

“What number is I got a boy by SNSD?” Jennie asks, picking up the microphone.

Sumi gives her the number before passing the book to Namjoon and Yoongi. Jennie passes the second mic to Sumi, pulling her from the couch.

“Hey yo GG!”

 

Once the song is finished, the guys cheer and whistle. Jennie and Sumi sit down, drinking from their alcoholic beverages.

“I think I need a shot before we continue,” Sumi smirks. Hoseok immediately jumps up, pouring everyone a shot.

“1 SHOT!” He cheers. Everyone follows suit, drinking it all in one go.

“My turn,” Namjoon looks to Hoseok, “Do this one with me,”

Hoseok looks down at the book and grins.

“Let's go!”

They put on a song Sumi doesn’t recognise, rapping enthusiastically and screaming during the chorus. Jennie, Sumi, and Yoongi cheer and laugh at their singing, encouraging them to continue. Jennie is seated on Sumi’s right, and Yoongi on her left, sitting so close their knees rest comfortably against each other.

This is okay, Sumi smiles, ignoring the butterflies, This is fine.

They play another few songs before they are willing to give up the microphones.

 

The night goes on with more singing and more drinking. Jennie and Sumi get up to sing quite a few times, and Yoongi joins occasionally to sing any silly or energising songs.

“WOOOOWWWWW” He screams into the mic before jumping around like a crazy person.

 

As they become more and more drunk, the music becomes more and more jumbled. Hoseok sings a ballad, his voice rising higher with each verse. Namjoon screams Haru Haru by Big Bang, and Jennie sings Can’t control myself by Taeyeon. Hoseok and Sumi even do a duet, singing Troublemaker by Troublemaker. Everything from Psy to Gain, no genres missed in the process. In between songs, there are games, conversations, and stories. The night passes by in a blur of colour, leaving them intoxicated by the atmosphere – and the alcohol. Yoongi pulls out the whiskey, which everyone tries. Sumi and Namjoon aren’t a fan, but Yoongi is the only one who keeps sipping it, his cheeks flushing as his blood alcohol level rises.

 

As midnight comes and goes, everyone is incredibly drunk. Hoseok is lying in the corner of the 5-seater corner sofa, completely passed out. Jennie finishes singing a song before collapsing beside Namjoon, who pulls her in for a cuddle. Yoongi and Sumi are left in between, chatting animatedly about anything and everything.

“Here,” Jennie giggles, passing Sumi the mic, “I’m tired,”

“I see that,” Sumi smirks, pulling the book towards her.

“Hey, I have an idea,” Yoongi grabs the book and mic, flipping through the pages.

“What are you going to sing?”

“Well… I have this song stuck in my head,” Yoongi mumbles. He claps once he finds it, typing the song number into the system.

‘First Love – Astro’ flashes across the screen. Sumi has never heard of the song before, but she waits and listens.

 

My tears won't stop.

You were my first love.

The reason why the breakup was clumsy,

Was because you were my first love.

In our places and the places we promised to meet

The fact that I won’t be able to see you again.

I know of it well, I know, I know.

 

Sumi slowly catches on, her alcohol-riddled brain taking a moment to catch up. She listens to the lyrics, realisation dawning on her.

 

It hurts more than I thought it would.

Looking at our photo album, I pray for your happiness.

I’m always sorry that.

I didn't say earlier that.

I loved you and treasured you a lot.

They're shameless words, but

I want my image to remain as a fresh first love.

It'd still be the same even.

If we regret it

Us who can't even do what we wanted.

Stop the useless tears.

I'm alright even if I fall.

It doesn't show even though I'm suffering silently.

 

Sumi zones out, focusing entirely on the lyrics as her mind races. Is this a confession? Is this even about her? Was it intentional?

I don’t know… I can’t think straight.

Yoongi finishes the song, gently placing the mic on the coffee table. He turns and looks at her, his eyes glistening a little. Before Sumi can even comment on the song choice, he starts chuckling drunkenly.

“We should… help Hoseok,”

“Yeah,” Sumi smiles and stands. She grabs Hoseok’s pillow and a blanket, setting him up on the couch. While Yoongi convinces Namjoon and Jennie to head to bed now, Sumi finds another pillow and blanket for Yoongi. Jennie and Namjoon stumble past Sumi in the direction of the study.

 

“We’re going to bed,” Jennie hiccups, “Are you okay? Are you drunk?”

“Yeah, I’m drunk,” Sumi grins, “I’ll go to bed once you guys are all settled,”

“Good,” Namjoon nods, supporting Jennie, “Goodnight all!” He calls out, laughing cutely.

“Goodnight,” Sumi smirks, watching them go. Once the door closes, Sumi turns back to the lounge room. She places the pillow and blanket on the other end of the couch, away from Hoseok, and stands up. Yoongi is sitting at the dining table in the other area, sipping the whiskey he poured earlier.

Sumi slowly makes her way over to him, picks up her drink, and takes a seat next to him. He looks up at the sound of the chair moving and watches Sumi carefully as she sits. He is leaning back in the chair, his body turned towards Sumi, a hand on his drink.

 

“Hi,” Sumi smiles, taking a sip from her drink. Yoongi smiles in return, looking back down at his drink.

“I…” Yoongi gulps and takes a sip before continuing, “I have something I want to tell you,”

Sumi nods, a little wary of his behaviour.

“You don’t have to respond, or anything… I just want to get some stuff off my chest. Be honest, you know?”

“Okay,” Sumi leans on the table, looking at him, “What’s up?” Yoongi takes a deep breath and begins.

“I just… I want you to know I still have feelings for you… big feelings,” He gestures vaguely, “But I’m not acting on them and I won’t. I like our friendship and I’m just happy you are ok seeing me,”

Sumi blushes, staring at Yoongi in shock. She wasn’t expecting so much openness or honesty from him. He still isn’t looking up from his glass. He continues.

“I understand if you want to be with someone else but…” He clears his throat, “But please… don’t stay with Jungkook… he’s hurting you and… I just want to see you happy…”

“Yoongi,” Sumi frowns, “I broke up with Jungkook last week,”

“Huh?” Yoongi looks up finally, “You… did?”

“Yeah, that night Hoseok arrested him… he came and grabbed his things during the week… I changed my locks,” Sumi gestures around the space, “I took Jennie’s advice…”

 

Suddenly, Yoongi leans forward, grabbing Sumi by the back of her neck and pulling her in. He stops just before their lips meet, breathing deeply. Sumi gulps, blushing furiously.

“Sumi… C-Can I?” Yoongi stutters, his breath gliding over her lips. She nods slightly and closes her eyes, her alcohol-induced heart speaking for her.

She feels his lips connect with hers. Sparks ignite, and butterflies erupt. Sumi’s body responds as if releasing a build-up of tension she didn’t realise was there, deflating her.

Yoongi brings his chair closer before placing his other hand on her waist and pulling her to him. Sumi gasps slightly, parting her lips to let him in. A deep, guttural, emotional groan escapes his mouth as he dives deeper. Sumi slides her hand up Yoongi’s chest, resting them on the back of his neck. She can feel his pulse in her palms, racing faster than his breathing.

This is fine… just friends.

Totally just friends.