Chapter 13

Parallel Lines

Chapter 13

 

Jung Hoseok dawdles down the street, making his way towards the university for the open day. The open day is a week after all the senior students have graduated. It allows for student's applications to be approved and then for them to come to choose their subjects. There are a variety of stands with information on every subject at the university. There are also club stands and student council stands – so the students can get an idea of how the university works. The one thing Hoseok is excited about is the other stands. These contain other university options that are funded by the university or the government – otherwise known as sub-department subjects. These include robotics campuses, science campuses, and beauty campuses. These subjects weren’t on the main website, so Hoseok is hoping to find answers there.

 

Jennie and Jungkook have already chosen their subjects, so they went off together to check out the student information and hopefully tour their new campus. Hoseok had decided to come later so they don’t have to see him like this.

He is feeling unsure and confused. He has considered all of his options – including giving up on college altogether.

However, the thought of disappointing his parents is unbearable. He has to decide on something and today is the day.

As he reaches the university's front gates, he looks up at the towering buildings with fear. In one of those buildings is his future. Maybe it isn’t here. Maybe his future is on another campus.

Hoseok rubs his forehead with worry. All these thoughts and questions are giving him a headache.

 

He steps through the gates and glances around. The path leading up to the front desk is surrounded by lush, soft green grass and tall, sturdy trees. Closer to the buildings is a variety of gardens containing everything from hedges to flowers. Hoseok can also make out a sign pointing to a herb garden for the hospitality students.

As Hoseok absorbs the beautiful greenery he realizes he is surrounded by students. He begins to notice the stands lining the main path full of pamphlets, surrounded by older students and professors providing advice and encouraging students to take a look.

Hoseok begins dawdling as he takes in each stand.

Engineering? Not for him. He struggled with mathematics in high school.

Nursing? He’s already reconsidering his current ‘dream’ – if you could call it that. Nursing would be too much for him as well.

Culinary arts? Well, Hoseok does enjoy food. But then he remembers his last summer job and shakes his head quickly. It was too fast-paced for him.

Veterinary studies? He loves animals. But could he watch as a beautiful dog gets euthanized? He wouldn’t be able to handle it. It would destroy him.

 

But, even with these thoughts running through his head, he takes a pamphlet from every stand. He might not like the idea now, but what if he wants to later?

He laughs at the representative's jokes and acts excited when they talk animatedly about their time studying for their subject. However, Hoseok’s head is full of noise. He can’t think of anything he enjoys, or did enjoy, or would enjoy in any of these career choices.

 

He continues down the path and reaches the sub-department stands. They seem to be bustling with students, which is fine with Hoseok. The more he talks to the students full of dreams the emptier he feels inside.

 

More medical schools, more science subjects, nothing that is really interesting for him. He pauses at one table that appears empty. A soldier is sitting behind it looking bored.

 

“Hello,” He smiles kindly, “I doubt you’re interested in the army, huh?”

Hoseok smiles kindly. Obviously, most people postpone their enlistment until they reach the age where it is mandatory. This soldier must be bored out of his mind. Curious, and more than willing to help the poor soldier, Hoseok steps forward.

 

“I’m not sure what I want anymore,” He says honestly. He flushes as he realizes this is the first time he has been honest all day.

The soldier doesn’t look embarrassed for him or disappointed. He stands up and gestures to the pamphlets in front of him.

“Help yourself,” He says quietly, “What would you like to know?”

Hoseok peers down at the pieces of paper. He has everything here. Air pilot, navy forces, general enlistment.

A blue pamphlet catches his eye. It is for the police academy.

“Can you talk to me about the police academy?” Hoseok asks, showing him the pamphlet.

 

The soldier talks him through the enrollment process and the grades necessary to get in. Hoseok shows him his acceptance letter nervously. The soldier laughs.

“If they approved you for medical school, then you’ll be able to apply for anything here,”

The soldier continues to explain what happens once Hoseok gets in.

 

At the police academy, it will be an extension of high school plus much more. For his general education, he would be learning about Korean history, English and culture, public ethics and humanism, and communications skills. He must also learn 8 foreign languages.

The basic subjects, or the major subjects, include studying law, public administration and police science. He also must choose a few other subjects, so he has enough points to graduate. After that, there are the standard physical subjects, which include martial arts and swimming, and other subjects like driving and IT training.

On top of all these subjects, he will then be able to choose a specialized course if he’d like to work in a certain area. The entire course is 4 years long.

 

Hoseok takes in all this information excitedly. He’ll be physically fit and have a very good general knowledge of many things. He can also choose multiple subjects to master – as many as he’s capable of doing.

 

The soldier gives Hoseok a few more pamphlets on the police academy.

“I’d recommend enrolling and checking out the campus. If you decide not to do it you don’t have to continue,” The soldier grins, “Either you’re good at hiding your disappointment or you are genuinely excited about this,”

Hoseok nods vigorously.

“I’ve just imagined myself as an amazing detective – solving crimes and saving lives,” He grins, “But it’ll be hard, right?”

The soldier suddenly looks grim.

“I started off as a police officer,” He frowns, “But I couldn’t stomach being a detective. You will see some very confronting things,” He gives Hoseok a very apprehensive look, “Are you sure about this?”

 

Hoseok considers his question. He wasn’t this excited when he decided to be a therapist. What seems to excite him more is the fact that he can actually see himself completing the years of hard work and being a detective. He can see himself helping citizens and becoming fit enough to protect others. He knows it’ll be confronting and lots of hard work. But nothing has really affected him like this. No pamphlet has started plans and ideas in his mind like this. It’s like all the blank spaces in his mind that his dreams should have been in are starting to fill.

“I’m sure,” Hoseok smiles, “I may look a little naïve, but I can really see myself doing this,” Hoseok shrugs, “It was never proposed to me, so I’ve never thought about it,”

Nodding, the soldier holds his hand out for Hoseok to shake. Hoseok takes it, gripping firmly.

“Well, good luck,”

“Thanks,” Hoseok grins as he salutes him. He turns around and walks away, a spring in his step.

 

For a moment, Hoseok wonders if he’ll give up on this as he did before. What’s different this time?

As soon as the thought popped into his head, he knew it was just nerves. This time is different.

To be honest, Hoseok had simply jumped on a passing thought like it was a train taking him to his new dream. But in reality, it was a drawing of a train. It didn’t take him anywhere. It just sat there in the back of his mind looking like a dream.

This one is moving through his mind, making, and leaving tracks in its wake. This is what a dream is meant to feel like. Planning, scheming, pondering. Dreaming of the future. Ideas, suspense, concern. All these things bounce around his mind like a pinball machine. Where would he live? Where would he work? What district?

This is it…

 

“Jung Hoseok!” Hoseok blinks and turns around. He spots Jungkook and Jennie running towards him.

“What the hell?” Jennie gasps as they reach him, “I’ve been calling out to you for 5 minutes!”

“Sorry,” Hoseok grins awkwardly, “How was your tour?”

“We didn’t get a tour today,” Jungkook pouts, “The medical school is on another campus so we’re going tomorrow,”

“Did you go see the medical campus stand so you know what time to come?” Jennie asks.

Hoseok doesn’t say anything. He hasn’t said anything to them about him questioning his dream. But now is the best time to tell them. Hoseok starts to feel a little nervous as he opens his mouth to explain.

“I didn’t go to the medical stand,” Hoseok grimaces, “I’m not going to medical school,”

Jennie and Jungkook gasp.

“Aww,” Jennie sighs, “That ,”

“Are you not going to university?” Jungkook accuses, looking a little disappointed.

“No, I am going!” Hoseok says, barely containing his excitement, “I’m going to become a detective!” He shows them the pamphlets the soldier gave him.

Jennie and Jungkook peer at the pamphlet. After reading the front cover, they exchange a look. Hoseok knows what they are thinking before they can even ask him.

“Don’t worry, guys,” Hoseok chuckles, “I’m sure this time,”

“Are you really sure?” Jennie bites her lip, “I wouldn’t want you to start studying and give up again…”

“This is different,” Hoseok says gently. He goes on to try and explain what his brain is doing and how he knows this time is the real thing. For most of the explanation, he is just making weird gestures around his head and chest. But when he is done, Jungkook and Jennie look mollified.

“Well, you look really excited,” Jennie grins, “When do you get to tour the campus?”

“Tomorrow, 2 pm,” Hoseok claps his hands excitedly, “I have so many questions for them! I hope it is everything I have ever dreamed of!”

“Dreamed? You mean in the past 5 minutes?” Jungkook teases.

 

Hoseok, Jennie and Jungkook spend the rest of the afternoon walking around the main campus, talking about various things. Jennie has some very exciting news.

“Guess what!” Jennie says 30 minutes later.

“What?” Hoseok replies.

“I only just got into medical school!” She giggles with happiness. Hoseok frowns at Jungkook.

“Well,” Jungkook begins, “Getting the grades is the easy part. We had to apply for medical school, battling against hundreds of students from many schools. Jennie only got in because 1 of the top students in Korea has decided to study in America,”

“Oh wow!” Hoseok looks down at Jennie, who is still quivering with happiness, “That was really close!”

“Yeah,” Jennie sighs, “I guess it was just meant to be,”

Jungkook and Hoseok both roll their eyes at her.

 

After lunch at a nearby café, Hoseok heads home alone, no longer empty-headed and confused. He is now a student ready to follow his dreams – his actual dreams.