Chapter 22

Parallel Lines

WARNING: Suggestive content. 

Chapter 22

 

JK: Good morning baby! X

SUMI: Good morning. Sleep well?

JK: Of course! I was thinking of you x

SUMI: Awww :3

JK: Are you working today?

SUMI: I was going to work on my other transcript.

JK: Ah…

SUMI: What do you want to do today?

JK: I was thinking about going on a date today.

SUMI: I really have to work on this transcript though…

JK: I’ll be back at 9

SUMI: 9? That only gives me 10 minutes to get ready!

JK: See you soon ;)

 

Sumi groans, putting her phone down and jumping out of bed. She has already showered, but she climbed back into her sleepwear only moments ago. She quickly pulls out blue denim shorts, a black T-shirt and her black sneakers. As she finishes applying a small amount of makeup after brushing her hair, she hears Jungkook arrive.

 

Sumi and Jungkook moved in together a few months ago. Jungkook wakes early in the morning each day to go to the gym to keep fit. Since Sumi has known him, he has become muscular, much more manly.

Much more dominating.

 

Jungkook is currently studying general surgery before he can start to become an official doctor. Where he works, he has set hours as a general practitioner. He wants to become a surgeon one day, but he likes the set hours at the medical centre. He did work at the hospital, but after almost finishing his residency, he decided to work for a private medical centre.

He has weekends off, which he likes to spend with Sumi. Even though Sumi says that they live together so they don’t need to wait for the weekend to see each other. But Jungkook doesn’t listen. He wants to spend a lot of time with her.

 

Sumi peaks out of the window and waves at Jungkook. She rushes downstairs and grabs her keys and bag before rushing outside, locking the door behind her.

“Yah,” Jungkook pouts, “You took your time,” Sumi rolls her eyes, buckling into her seat.

“You gave me 10 minutes to get ready,” Sumi murmurs before taking a deep breath, “Anyway, where are we going?”

“You’ll see,” Jungkook smiles as he drives off.

 

He has become moodier and moodier since Yoongi and Namjoon arrived in Korea. Sumi hasn’t seen or spoken to Yoongi for a week, ever since his drunken texts. But this doesn’t seem to soothe Jungkook’s mood. Even after showing Jungkook her responses, he was still upset.

Sumi understands. If Jungkook had an ex-girlfriend like that she would be jealous too.

 

Soon they arrive at a café, far from the Korean BBQ place and their favourite café. Far from everything.

“Where are we?” Sumi asks.

“I’m not sure,” Jungkook shrugs, “I saw it once and wanted to take you,”

“Have you eaten here before?” Sumi asks as they climb out of the car. They are in the middle of Hongdae looking up at Angel-In-Us, a cute little café on the busy streets of Hongdae. It was hard to find a park, but Jungkook enjoys walking around.

“No, but I hope they make good coffee,” Jungkook grins, taking Sumi’s hand and leading her inside.

 

They order their drinks, chatting away happily. Jungkook gets an Americano, but Sumi decides on a sweeter drink. A vanilla green coffee snow with a chocolate muffin. Jungkook loves his sweet things, but not after going to the gym.

As she enjoys her drink, slurping happily, she notices Jungkook looks apprehensive.

“What’s wrong?” she asks, knowing that Jungkook is eyeing the sugar in front of her with distaste.

“You consume a lot of sugar…” Jungkook looks down at the drink, a small crease in the middle of his forehead. Sumi rolls her eyes and gives him a very firm look.

“I’ve told you; I will drink whatever I want,” Sumi snaps before pouting playfully to ease the tension, “I deserve it,”

Jungkook ignores her, looking out the window at the bustling streets. Even at this time of the morning, there are a lot of people walking around. Students, foreigners, and businessmen. They sit in silence watching the world pass by, thinking of their worries and their problems in silence.

 

Sumi has a very strong personality, so she and Jungkook have a few problems. But, like all relationships, they are not perfect. There is no such thing. Sumi is glad she has been able to learn that. Hopefully, she won’t need to learn that again. She has no intention of leaving Jungkook. She loves him a lot and he loves her just as much.

Sometimes too much.

 

“Are you ready?” Jungkook asks, beaming down at her with his empty cup in one hand. Sumi nods enthusiastically, forcing a chuckle out of Jungkook.

“Where are we going to go now?” Sumi asks as they stand up together, discarding their empty drinks in the nearby bin. Jungkook considers this for a moment, leading Sumi down the mall.

“I’m not sure,” He admits, “I just want to make memories with you,”

Sumi smiles, sliding her hand into his. They swing their arms between them, dawdling around for a little. Eventually, Jungkook has a few ideas.

Movie, lunch, N Seoul tower, dinner, and cuddles in front of the TV, among other things.

“A movie?” Sumi frowns, “I don’t really feel like watching a movie,”

“Come on,” Jungkook smirks, spinning her around so they can head back to his car, “I chose your favourite movie,”

Sumi frowns but she doesn’t say anything.

I guess we’re watching a movie then.

 

The drive to the movies takes a little while, and once they reach the cinema they are both a little tired from the traffic. Jungkook keeps insisting, so they make their way inside and purchase some tickets and popcorn. Jungkook pays for it all of course. He never lets Sumi pay when they go out together.

 

He has chosen a movie Sumi has been wanting to see for a long time. It’s an unoriginal concept, but it has Sumi’s favourite actor in it. Sumi is very surprised that Jungkook chose this movie, as he was against her watching it. Being a ‘famous’ author now allows Sumi to meet many famous people – including actors. Sumi once said that she’d love to work with this actor. Ever since Jungkook has hated him and every drama he stars in. He must be trying really hard to make today special.

 

This thought alone – and maybe the ab reveal in the movie – has made the whole experience so much more enjoyable. As much as Sumi would rather be working on her book or attending meetings to achieve her goals, she is happy she can have these moments with Jungkook.

 

After the movie finishes, Jungkook takes her back to their side of the city to their favourite Korean BBQ restaurant.

As much as Sumi doesn’t want to think of Yoongi whilst she is spending time with Jungkook, she can’t help but think of him as they enter the restaurant.

Jungkook leads them to their favourite booth, a few seats away from where she had dinner with Yoongi.

 

“Sirloin steak, please!” Jungkook says as they sit down.

“Any drinks?” The server asks.

“Not today,” Jungkook grins, “Maybe later tonight,”

The owner, standing behind the server at the front counter, shakes his head, grinning at Jungkook’s comment.

 

The server goes to collect their meat, leaving Sumi and Jungkook in awkward silence.

Sumi looks past Jungkook’s head at the booth, thinking of Yoongi. Why is he being so persistent? Why did he bother having a drink with her, knowing she is taken?

She hasn’t heard from him ever since, but the booth stirs some confusing feelings in her mind.

 

“Hey,” Sumi looks back to find Jungkook frowning at her, “What are you thinking about?”

Sumi sighs and decides on the truth.

“That booth over there is where I had dinner with Yoongi,” Sumi mumbles, “I am confused by his behaviour. I can’t seem to wrap my head around…”

“Stop,” Jungkook snaps. Sumi frowns, glancing quickly at his clenching and unclenching fists, “Just stop, okay?”

“What’s wrong?” Sumi asks curiously, “Are you… jealous?”

Jungkook glares harder, burning her with his gaze.

“You had dinner with your ex without telling me,” Jungkook scoffs, “Of course I am jealous!”

“There’s nothing to be jealous about,” Sumi rolls her eyes, “I just thought it would be better if we were friends,”

“Sumi, listen,” Jungkook leans forward and grasps Sumi’s hand tightly, “Whether he had moved on or not, I would not be comfortable with you being friends with him,”

“Why?” Sumi laughs, “We have mutual female and male friends. You also have a female co-worker you speak of often. Not to mention the fact that you had a crush on one of our mutual friends. Why can’t I be friends with Yoongi?”

Jungkook lets go of Sumi’s hand as the server places their meat between them. Once he is out of earshot, Jungkook turns his frosty gaze to Sumi.

“Because he’s different,” Jungkook says, starting on the meat, “Anyway, it’s obvious you can’t be friends, so there is no point trying to force the issue,”

Sumi scoffs again, folding her arms.

“Well, actually,” Sumi argues, “He is friends with our mutual friends, so we will have to be friends eventually,”

“Sumi…” Jungkook starts, but Sumi cuts him off.

“I’m not dropping friends from my life because you are jealous,” Sumi clips, “Jennie and Namjoon are my good friends, even though you used to like Jennie. So let’s keep this neutral, okay?”

Jungkook doesn’t respond as he begins frying the meat between them. Judging by the look in his eyes, this argument isn’t over.

Well… they were my good friends. Sumi doesn’t voice this thought. She and Jennie haven’t seen each other in a very long time. How long has it been…?

 

They sit in silence as he cooks the meat, but once he is done it is back to normal.

 

“What transcript are you working on?” He asks.

Sumi begins describing her new story and how her publisher thinks it is her best work yet and can’t wait for Sumi to finish writing it. Jungkook listens intently, but Sumi has known him long enough to know that he is distracted by the argument they just had.

Of course, Sumi understands where he is coming from. If he had an ex-girlfriend, Sumi would be uncomfortable around her. But that’s it, uncomfortable. She wouldn’t be forcing him to stop hanging out with her. She definitely wouldn’t fight him over it. Of course, Sumi understands jealousy issues, she had them when she was dating Yoongi. But then again, isn’t she trying to force him to stop talking to that coworker of his? Is she no better than him? Is she also just a jealous mess?

Which is toxic… Sumi frowns. She worked on her jealousy issues to ensure that her relationship with Jungkook would be better than her relationship with her ex. Surely Jungkook understands that he needs to do the same, right? Have I worked on my jealousy issues?

 

An hour later, after talking happily and eating contently, Jungkook decides it is time to go home.

“Alright,” Sumi agrees, standing up. Jungkook pays for the meal and leads her out to the car.

 

 

 

 

“Should we put on a movie?” Jungkook asks. He is showered and in his comfortable winter sleepwear which consists of knee-length baggy shorts and a long-sleeved shirt. His hair is messy, hanging over his forehead and eyebrows in a curly, dripping mess. Sumi is wearing her sleeping shorts and a T-shirt with her hair up in her signature messy bun.

“Sure, what do you want to watch?” Sumi asks, sitting on the couch. She reaches for the remote but Jungkook gets there first.

“Let’s see what’s on Netflix,” Jungkook suggests, opening Netflix and scrolling through the movies. Sumi sits back and folds her arms. Watching movies with Jungkook is an argument and a half. He isn’t sure what he wants to watch, but anything Sumi suggests is terrible.

“How about that one?” Sumi asks.

“I don’t feel like watching a comedy,”

“That one?”

“No, too boring,”

“What about that one? You were talking about that movie the other day?”

“Nah, already seen it,”

Sumi groans with frustration. Suddenly, she jumps from the seat, trying to tackle the remote from Jungkook’s hands.

Jungkook sees this coming and holds the remote out of her reach.

“Just give it to me!” Sumi protests, climbing up Jungkook to get it.

Jungkook stops struggling, making Sumi look down at him in surprise. She is lying astride him, holding his hand above his head as she reaches over him for the remote.

Quickly, Sumi clambers off, sitting beside him tensely. Jungkook chuckles and sits up, moving so he is sitting right beside her.

“Why’d you move?” Jungkook teases, “I was very comfortable there,”

“Just give me the remote,” Sumi breathes, blushing furiously.

“Under one condition,” Sumi looks to see Jungkook smirking.

“What?” She asks.

“You kiss me,”

“What? W-Why?” Sumi stutters. Just like she was with Yoongi, she is very shy about intimate situations. And, just like Yoongi, Jungkook enjoys teasing her about it. She had hoped to become more ually confident, but she doesn’t know how.

 

“It’s not like we’ve never kissed before,” Jungkook reasons, “We’re alone, so you don’t need to be embarrassed,”

Sumi turns to look at him, her heart beating. Jungkook takes this as her answer, sliding his arm over her shoulders. He moves closer, his lips parted as he looks down at her lips. Sumi tilts her head, moving closer, her eyes shining.

Jungkook suddenly places his lips on hers, startling her from her nervous reverie. Slowly, she closes her eyes, sliding her hands around his waist. Jungkook pulls her closer, gently sliding her onto his lap. Sumi moves her arms, so they are wrapped around his neck as she deepens the kiss. He allows her to get comfortable, bringing her leg over so she is astride him. Jungkook rests his hand on her lower back, gently gliding his finger over her slightly exposed skin.

Sumi pulls away, watching him warily. They sit there for a moment, watching each other, waiting, wanting.

“I think it’s bedtime,” Jungkook whispers. Suddenly, he wraps his arms around her waist, standing up from the couch. Sumi squeals as her legs leave the soft cushion. She wraps her legs around his middle, giggling, yet unable to agree to his proposition out of sheer awkwardness.

As Jungkook carries Sumi to their room, leaving a trail of kisses along her collarbone, Sumi grins. She finds herself relaxing a little, allowing his love to fill her with comfort and happiness.

 

Jungkook closes their bedroom door behind them, tainting the room with their love once again.