Chapter 37

Parallel Lines

Chapter 37

 

Yoongi knocks on Jennie’s apartment door, feeling bitter. Just before, he texted Namjoon to ask if he could talk to him about Jungkook attending the vacation and Namjoon informed him that he is currently at Jennie’s apartment.

 

The door opens, revealing a frowning Jennie.

“Ah, hey, Yoongi!” She smiles, giving him a knowing look. She lets him in before heading to her bedroom door to let Namjoon know he has arrived. Yoongi moves into the lounge room as Namjoon exits Jennie’s bedroom, looking concerned.

“What’s up, Yoongi?” He asks, sitting on the sofa with Yoongi.

“I just… why did you invite Jungkook?” Yoongi asks, looking up at Jennie who is leaning on the arm of the sofa behind Namjoon, her arms folded.

“Because he is part of the friend group, Yoongi,” Jennie sighs, “I’ve been keeping up with him. Honestly, therapy has been good for him. He apologised for so many things… he even explained it all in such technical terms. He really wants to make up for what he’s done to Sumi and the friend group,”

“He’s really trying,” Namjoon chimes in, eyeing Yoongi warily, “I don’t message him personally, and I understand that you aren’t excited to see him considering he hurt the girl you love…”

“It’s got nothing to do with that!” Yoongi snaps, “Don’t make me seem like a jealous ex or something,”

“That wasn’t my intention,” Namjoon says firmly, “He also hurt Jennie, Yoongi, I understand where you’re coming from. Why do you think I don’t message him?”

 

Yoongi looks away, sulking. He’s right, of course. He always is. Yoongi forgot all about Jungkook threatening Jennie. Namjoon was livid, angrier than Yoongi has ever seen him.

“If you understand, why are you okay with this?” Yoongi asks curiously.

“Because I trust Jennie,” Namjoon says simply, “Yeah, I’m angry at the guy, but if Jennie is fine then I am fine,”

“But you guys didn’t experience what I did, I mean, Jungkook beat me up!” Yoongi says ludicrously, “He told me he forced himself on Sumi just to anger me!”

Jennie and Namjoon look at each and sigh before turning back to Yoongi.

“We know, Jungkook told me,” Jennie says, “It’s one of the things he keeps bringing up when it comes to getting your forgiveness,”

“I’ll never forgive him… never,” Yoongi clenches his fists.

“I understand, Yoongi,” Namjoon smiles, “It’ll take a while for you and Jungkook… and I am not expecting you guys to make up at Jeju island,”

“But,” Jennie continues, “It’s going to be a time for everyone if you spend the entire time wanting to fight him,”

 

Yoongi leans back on the sofa, contemplating these words. As much as he’d like to continue pushing that he will never forgive Jungkook, he’s not like that. Usually, he’s the first person to forgive someone. He forgave Sumi within a few weeks of being in America. He is more likely to avoid a toxic person rather than seek a resolution and he’s always been like that. But now that he’s in a situation with a friend who has hurt someone dear to him and he has to continue interacting with him, Yoongi is conflicted. He hates him with every fibre of his being, but he does miss the little doe-eyed kid that they befriended all those years ago.

He is also terrified that the relationship between him and Sumi will rekindle if he supports it too much. Now that he knows Sumi may or may not have feelings for him he has started mentally clinging to her like a lost puppy. But can he really forgive Jungkook and risk it?

 

“Hey… what was Jungkook talking about with the plus one?” Yoongi asks, finally breaking from his minor trance.

“Oh, Sara?” Jennie grins, “She is a friend Jungkook made in group therapy. They have become quite close. Apparently, they spend almost every day together and she’s really helping him through everything. He’s been helping her too, so they’ve just been supporting each other through mutual trauma,”

“Oh…” Yoongi nods, “And… the message about him liking her…?”

“Yeah, he told Hobi that he likes her, but he doesn’t want to hurt her so he refuses to do anything about it,” Namjoon grins.

“I see,” Yoongi smiles. He feels a sudden weight lift from his shoulders. If Jungkook has moved on, could Yoongi really move past this fear?

“I knew it,” Jennie mutters. Yoongi looks up to see Jennie and Namjoon looking at each other knowingly, snickering.

“What are you guys laughing about?”

“You, obviously,” Jennie points out, “You smile after we confirm Jungkook has moved on… it’s so obvious man,”

Yoongi frowns and pouts, watching his two friends laugh at his expense. He smirks, trying to ignore the nagging accountability at the back of his mind.

“Fine, fine, whatever, I admit it,” Yoongi grumbles, “Maybe I’m scared she’ll fall for him again, maybe I’m jealous, who knows… but I still think I’m allowed to not trust him,”

“You think I trust him?” Namjoon scoffs, “He’ll have to earn that back himself,”

Yoongi nods in agreement, finally properly acknowledging his jealousy around Sumi.

It’ll be fine… he’s moving on and she’ll… move on too? Yoongi contemplates, Maybe it’ll work… maybe we can try again one day.

 

 

 

 

Hobi waltzes into Sumi’s house, flopping quite comfortably onto the sofa. Sumi shakes her head at his actions before grabbing them a drink each. She sits beside him, offering him a soft drink. Hoseok has just finished work and has decided to visit Sumi and hang out. Jennie and Hoseok are always the busiest, so spending time with them is harder. Namjoon and Yoongi get busy, but they also have extended periods of rest. Sumi chooses when she works depending on the production of any drama she is involved in. Even then, she isn’t always needed at every shoot.

 

“So,” Sumi smiles, “What’s up?”

“Not much,” Hoseok grins, “Put a bad guy away today, did some paperwork, notified my boss that I’ll need a holiday in a few months and he was fine with it, and Jiho agreed to attend the vacation!”

“Woah! Busy day,” Sumi nudges him playfully, “How’d it go with Jiho?”

“It went well. She was pretty excited and simply grateful that she only has to pay for the plane tickets,” Hoseok chuckles, “But I’m thinking of paying for us both as a surprise,”

“Careful,” Sumi smirks, “She might not like that,”

“Don’t worry, I wouldn’t suggest it if I knew there was a chance she wouldn’t like it,” Hoseok grins.

“If you say so,”

 

Sumi and Hoseok continue talking about their day, catching up on the past few weeks. Eventually, the conversation turns to Yoongi and how he acted in the group chat.

“I just wish he’d get the hint, you know?” Hoseok sighs, “I understand how he’s feeling, but he’s got to give it a rest, like, read the room Yoongi!”

“I know right,” Sumi smirks, “I don’t understand why he’s so aggressive with Jungkook. I’ve never seen him hold a grudge like this,”

Hoseok raises his eyebrows and smirks again.

“I don’t know, maybe it’s because he really likes you and Jungkook is your ex?” Hoseok suggests, shrugging dramatically, “But what would I know! It’s not like Yoongi and I have deep and meaningful conversations or anything,”

 

Sumi doesn’t respond, staring at Hoseok blankly. After her conversation with Namjoon, she finally realised her own feelings and started to notice Yoongi’s jealousy. Of course he still likes her. He was so upset when he got back from America and realised Sumi had moved on. But Sumi can’t stop thinking about what could happen. Sure, they could try again and date. But what if everything that happened last time happens again? What if their relationship is toxic again and this time it destroys the friend group? Sumi doesn’t want to lose her friends, and she doesn’t want to complicate everything. After everything that happened in the past, why should she try again? What is different this time?

 

“Listen, Sumi,” Hoseok sighs, pulling Sumi from her thoughts, “I understand your concerns. But, you know, a healthy relationship has healthy communication! All you need to do is talk it out with him! If you guys talk and decide not to date, then we’ll leave you guys alone,”

“Would you actually?” Sumi asks sarcastically.

“Well, I’d be disappointed. But! It’s better than what you guys are currently doing,” Hoseok suggests.

“What are we currently doing?” Sumi frowns, “We’re not doing anything,”

“Ever since Jungkook left, you two have been taking turns being angry and jealous of each other. Like when you gave him the cold shoulder because that waitress gave him her number the other week,” Hoseok begins listing, “Or when Yoongi was ignoring you because Jungkook hugged you. Not to mention that one guy Yoongi beat up when he smacked your the same night Yoongi received that girl's number,”

“Okay, okay, I get it,” Sumi concedes, “But I don’t know how to talk to him about this stuff…”

“Don’t worry, we’ll make it happen at the vacation,” Hoseok smirks, “5 days? You’ll eventually find a moment where you can talk comfortably,”

“Alright, I guess,” Sumi blushes, “But what if…”

“Shush,” Hoseok waves his hand in front of Sumi’s face, “No more what ifs. You know what you need to know so stick with that, okay?”

“Okay…” Sumi smiles, “Thanks Hobi,”

“It’s okay,” Hoseok grins, “I’m the love guru, so,” He smirks cockily.

Sumi hits him playfully, laughing at his antics. They spend the rest of the night chatting and watching a drama they started together.

 

 

 

 

Jungkook enters Sara's apartment, looking around at all the pretty decorations. Each time Jungkook comes in, there is something different to see. Either a new colour theme on her bedspread, a new plush toy, or even just the lights being a different colour. Today, the lights are all blue. She placed the plush toy Jungkook got her on the bench by her window. The sight of it makes Jungkook smile.

 

“What’s up?” Sara asks, leading him to the bench. She is wearing baggy grey sweatpants and a white cami crop top. Her hair is up in a messy bun, and she has her reading glasses on. Jungkook must have interrupted a reading session.

She passes him the hot chocolate she just made, her own in her hands. She chose a specific mug for him many weeks ago for these occasions. It is blue with a yellow smiling face on it.

 

“Just wanted to hang out,” Jungkook shrugs, “And talk to you about a vacation I’ve been invited to,”

Jungkook has become used to her honesty and bluntness and has even become more honest and open himself. It’s almost like she is rubbing off on him.

“Vacation?” She asks, looking interested, “What vacation?”

 

Jungkook explains the group chat and how the friend group is going to go on a vacation together to celebrate being friends for so many years.

 

“I see,” She nods, “Are you excited?”

“I’m nervous about it,” He admits, “My ex will be there, and her ex hates me… which is fair enough,”

“But you’re still going?” She frowns, “That doesn’t sound like a fun time,”

“Well I’m on comfortable talking terms with my ex, thanks to your advice, and Hoseok’s,” Jungkook sighs, “It’s just Yoongi now,”

“I understand why he is hesitant,” Sara gives Jungkook an awkward smile, “A lot of things happened. It’ll take him time to move past it. Not to mention he obviously loves Sumi,”

Jungkook talks to Sara about everything in his life, so much that Sara knows them as well as he does. She guessed pretty quickly that Yoongi probably still likes Sumi.

 

“I’m just worried… anyway, that’s not what I wanted to talk about,” Jungkook grins.

“Oh?” Sara raises her eyebrows.

“Yeah, I have been asked if I want to bring a plus one… Hoseok is bringing his girlfriend and I said I want to bring my friend as well,” Jungkook explains.

“You want me to come?” Sara looks shocked, her eyes wide, “Dude, I don’t think they’ll like me,”

“Of course they will,” Jungkook chuckles.

I like you… so they will too.

“Okay… where is it going to be?” She questions.

“Jeju island,”

“Are you kidding? That’s so expensive! I’m not a rich doctor like you,” Sara teases.

“It’s okay, I can pay for you and…”

“No,” Sara says firmly, looking grim. Jungkook frowns, before he realises, recalling the plush toy fiasco.

 

 

FLASHBACK…

 

“What do you mean you purchased a present for me?” Sara snaps, “Don’t! Go take it back! NOW!”

“W-what? Why?” Jungkook frowns, “I just wanted to thank you… I saw it at the shops and…”

“NO!” Sara screams. She is shaking and crying. Why is she acting like this?

“It’s okay, it’s not even expensive…” Jungkook tries to pass it to her, but she knocks it out of his hands.

“GET OUT!”

 

 

Later, after Sara had calmed down, she came back and confessed that she was having a trauma response.

In previous relationships and with the family members that would try to reconnect with her, they would often buy her things and spend money on her. Then, whenever she didn’t want to do something, they would bring up the money they spent on her, calling her ungrateful. Now, she can’t stand the possibility of receiving gifts or anything involving money.

 

After a week, she finally accepted the gift. But she promised Jungkook that she would burn his apartment down with him inside if he ever tried to use it against her. He told her that if he ever did that, she is more than welcome to. Now, the plush toy sits on her reading bench, where her favourite plush toy always sits.

 

“How about this…” Jungkook reasons after contemplating the problem for a moment, “I’ll purchase the plane tickets because that is all we have to pay for, and you can pay me back when you can,”

Sara folds her arms, considering this for a moment. She seems to be battling between an awesome vacation away from Busan and her fear of it being used against her.

“This… this is a big one though…” Sara pouts, “I don’t know… this is a big trigger for me,”

“It’s okay I understand,” Jungkook smiles, “I could help you save? Maybe Jimin knows of some ways you can make quick money?”

Sara chuckles.

“You know, Jimin has been trying to get me this job as a support worker at this organisation he knows,” Sara smirks, “It pays a lot more than the little delivery job I have,”

“That would be a good idea,” Jungkook smiles, “Maybe we can come up with a budget plan and determine a way to save. And if you don’t make enough in time, I’ll chip in the rest, and you can pay me back!”

Sara doesn’t respond, staring at Jungkook with this weird look in her eyes.

 

“What?” He frowns, “Why are you looking at me like that?”

“You are the first person, excluding Jimin, who has actually tried to help me find ways around my triggers instead of just telling me to get over it,” Sara explains, that look still in her eyes, “I just realised how kind you are to me… thank you,”

Jungkook smiles, trying to ignore his racing heart and the butterflies in his stomach.

“Well, you help me too… that’s how… friendship… works,” Jungkook mutters awkwardly.

Sara smirks, still looking at him weirdly. There’s this small twinkle in her eye as if she is seeing Jungkook differently for the first time.

 

He looks away, rubbing his neck awkwardly.

“Sorry, that was weird... I’m just… I can stop… I don’t mean to be pushy or anything,” Jungkook starts muttering nonsense, worrying that she is looking at him in disgust.

“Oh shut up,” She smirks. Suddenly, she grabs Jungkook by his neck and pulls him in. She gives him a quick kiss on the lips and pulls away. Her cheeks are tinged pink, but she is grinning cheekily.

Jungkook freezes up, staring at her in awe, shock, and fear. He wants to kiss her again. He wants to pull her in and cuddle her, hold her. But the other part of him is screaming for him to run away so he doesn’t hurt her.

“I-I…” He stutters, still staring at her.

“What? Don’t act like you didn’t want to, I could see it in your eyes,” Sara explains, “I’ve noticed it for a while,”

“B-But… what if I hurt you? I can’t…” Jungkook goes to get up, but Sara grabs his arm, pulling him back onto the bench. Their mugs, now empty, are sitting comfortably beside each other on a small desk near the window.

“If you could have or wanted to hurt me, you would have done so by now,” Sara explains, “Jungkook… accountability is one thing… but this is just self-loathing at this point,”

“But what if I…”

“No more what ifs,” Sara places her hands on the sides of Jungkook’s face, turning him so he’s looking at her, “I like you Jungkook. You give me warm fuzzy feelings I haven’t felt in a while. I can see a light at the end of the tunnel with you… and I think you feel the same way… am I wrong?”

 

Jungkook stares into her bright blue eyes, getting completely lost in them. He nods without realising. Sara smiles and pulls him in for another kiss, this one longer. Explosions erupt in Jungkook’s stomach, the happiness making him feel a little light-headed as if he is floating around the room.

He gives in, gently placing his hands on her waist and pulling her in. She wraps her arms around his neck, deepening the kiss.

 

 

Oooo Jungkook and Sara~~~ 

If only Sumi and Yoongi can be more open ;D We'll see...