Chapter 5

Parallel Lines

Chapter 5

 

Min Yoongi leans against the fence outside Sumi’s house, his backpack slung over his shoulder and his uniform messy. He has his shirt untucked and his tie is a little wonky under his vest and jacket.

He ruffles his hair as he checks the time. Sumi is running a little late.

He sighs, kicking the ground restlessly.

“Sorry, Yoongi,” Sumi rushes out breathlessly, “I woke up late,”

Yoongi’s frustrations disappear immediately as he spots her. She’s wearing her uniform perfectly, as usual. Her shirt is tucked in, her tie is neat and straight, and her hair is up out of her face. She looks stunning.

“It’s okay,” Yoongi beams, “I didn’t wait long,”

Yoongi checks his watch and realises he’s been standing there for an hour.

“Alright, let’s go,” Sumi holds her hand out for him to take. Smirking, he grabs her hand, entwining their hands tightly.

They begin walking down the street swinging their arms, all thoughts of being late gone.

 

As Yoongi recounts his weekend to Sumi, explaining his first underground rap experience, Sumi becomes a little distant.

After receiving 1-word responses for the past 5 minutes, Yoongi decides to ask her what’s bothering her.

“Sumi,” Yoongi frowns down at her, “What’s up? You’ve become distant,”

“Huh?” Sumi chuckles, her mysterious look gone, “It’s nothing, I was just thinking about school,”

Yoongi nods, not entirely convinced. After walking for a bit longer, Sumi returns to her usual bubbly self, so Yoongi forgets all about it.

As soon as they arrive, they head straight to class, hoping the bell has only just rung.

 

Sumi and Yoongi spend the day together, trying to spend as much time alone. Yoongi missed her over the weekend, and Sumi must have as well. She’s as happy as she’s always been, but something is lurking behind her eyes.

The more he notices it, the more he thinks something happened. In class, he begins to notice Jennie giving them both furtive looks, looking worried.

What could this all mean?

By lunchtime, Yoongi is seriously worried, so he decides on a quite rash decision – forcing it out of Jennie.

 

Yoongi knows his girlfriend well, but Jennie isn’t hard to read. From everything he has noticed he has realised two things – something happened on the weekend and Jennie was involved. Sumi won’t tell him, so he will have to ask Jennie what happened.

He decides to corner her just before they head back into class. Sumi is going to history with Namjoon, while Jennie, Yoongi and Hoseok have Geography together.

“I’ll see you in math,” Sumi grins, turning and following Namjoon in the opposite direction. Jennie immediately attempts to sliver away unnoticed but fails.

“Jennie,” Yoongi murmurs, turning to look at the pouting girl, “We need to talk,”

Jennie sighs, folding her arms.

“Be quick, we’re going to be late,” Jennie and Yoongi start slowly heading to class.

 

Sumi looks over her shoulder before turning the corner, giving her a glimpse of Yoongi and Jennie walking side by side. Frowning, she keeps walking.

 

“What happened on the weekend?” Yoongi asks quietly, “You and Sumi have been acting strangely,”

Jennie bites her lip, moving a little closer to Yoongi.

“Promise you won’t get mad?” She pleads. Yoongi stares at her for a moment before shaking his head.

“Just tell me,” He murmurs.

“So, Namjoon told me about your… ambitions,”

“Ambitions?”

“Yeah,” Jennie nods, “How you want to go to America,”

“So?” Yoongi frowns.

“Well, I told Sumi and she didn’t take it well,”

Yoongi freezes in place, all the confusion falling into place, painting a horrifying realisation.

“What exactly did you say?” Yoongi growls, trying to not sound too angry as he keeps following Jennie.

“I told her you want to go to America for a few years to study your music,” Jennie sighs, “She seems to think it might be the end of your relationship,”

“What?” Yoongi snaps loudly as they reach the classroom. Yoongi stops, holding Jennie’s arm roughly.

“I’m sorry, okay?” Jennie pouts, “I didn’t know she’d react like that,”

“I haven’t even decided what to do yet, and you go break the news like it means nothing?” Yoongi grunts through gritted teeth. Jennie’s lip quivers suddenly scared of Yoongi and his narrowed eyes.

“I’m sorry, Yoongi,” She repeats, frowning, “But is it not true?”

Yoongi considers this, frowning a little.

“That’s what I thought,” She pulls out of his grip, “I didn’t lie, and I’m not keeping secrets from my best friend,”

Yoongi scoffs, glaring down at her for a moment.

“Just stay out of our relationship, alright?” Yoongi snaps, pushing past her into the classroom. Jennie lets a small sigh escape before composing herself.

I wasn’t in the wrong.

Jennie straightens up and follows Yoongi into class.

 

 

 

 

After school, Yoongi and Sumi walk home alone. Hoseok, Namjoon and Jennie head to the café together, leaving Yoongi and Sumi to spend the entire afternoon together.

Yoongi looks down at Sumi, but she seems to have composed herself well. She’s not giving anything away. Honestly, he’s starting to question whether Jennie even told him the truth.

“What do you want to do today, oppa?” Sumi grins cutely, peeking up at him through her lashes. Yoongi ignores her cute expression and looks away in mock frustration.

“Yah!” Yoongi says loudly, “Don’t call me oppa!”

“Sorry,” Sumi giggles, “But seriously, what do you want to do?”

“Well,” Yoongi smirks, “I want to see a movie and have dinner together. What do you want to do?”

“Hmm,” Sumi grins, “I want to go to a cute café and walk in the park,”

“Well,” Yoongi stops, leaning down closer to her, “I guess we’ll have dinner next time,”

Sumi steps back, pouting a little. Yoongi chuckles at her innocence as they start walking again, heading to Sumi’s café of choice.

 

When they arrive, Yoongi pays for some sweet drinks, only drinking half of his. Sumi drinks her entire drink, scooping out every drop of ice cream.

When she’s finished, Yoongi leads her out of the café and down to a nearby mall. He surprises her with a stroll down the markets, looking at all the different stalls and shops.  

“Yoongi!” Sumi drags him to a stand that is selling couple items, like bracelets, rings, t-shirts, and more.

“I’m not wearing a couple shirt,” Yoongi stares down at the shirts in disgust.

“I know,” She giggles, pulling out a simple couple bracelet. It has I’m hers and He’s mine engraved on a little pendant hanging from each, surrounded by a gold chain and black leather thonging on one and gold chain and black ribbon on the other. Yoongi smiles down at them. He actually likes them. He would actually wear a bracelet like that, so it’s not too cheesy.

“Yeah?” Sumi beams, getting excited by Yoongi’s expression.

Yoongi can’t help it. He nods, pulling out his wallet.

 

A few moments later, they are walking down the market, their wrists proudly displaying their bracelets. Sumi walks with a little skip in her step as she looks down at the bracelet.

All of a sudden, that look returns to her eyes. She looks as if she has been winded. Her smile slowly slides down her face, as if she barely notices what she’s doing anymore. She stops swinging her arms enthusiastically.

I need to talk to her.

“Want to take some ice cream to the park?” Yoongi asks, waking her from her trance. She nods happily, but her smile doesn’t extend to her eyes.

They grab their favourite ice cream and walk silently to the park. Yoongi grabs her hand and leads her to a bench, sitting down beside her. He takes her rubbish and throws it in the bin beside them before sitting down again.

 

“Sumi” Yoongi mumbles. Sumi looks up at him seriously. It must have been building all day for it to be hard to hide now.

“Yeah?”

“What’s wrong?” Yoongi takes both of her hands in his, frowning deeply, “You have been strange all day,”

Sumi bites her lip, looking down at their entwined hands. Eventually, she shakes her head.

Yoongi pinches her chin between his forefinger and thumb, forcing her to look up at him.

“I know what Jennie said to you,” He says firmly, “Talk to me. What’s going through your mind right now?”

Sumi takes his hand away from her face, looking rather shocked.

“You knew… this whole time?”

“Yeah,”

“Then why didn’t you say anything?” Yoongi leans back against the park bench.

“I wanted you to tell me,” Yoongi sighs, “But you just bottled it up,”

“I bottled it up?” Sumi scoffs, suddenly frustrated, “Why didn’t I hear your news from you instead of Jennie?” Yoongi frowns.

“I wasn’t sure what I was going to do,” He mumbles, “I don’t want to leave you for so long, but it’s my dream… I had to think about it,”

“And?”

Yoongi looks up at her, feeling a little defeated.

“And?” Yoongi repeats.

“And what have you decided?” She presses. Yoongi shrugs.

“I haven’t,” He groans, shuffling to the side so he’s inches from Sumi’s face. She blushes, but she doesn’t back down.

“Yoongi…” Sumi whispers, gulping, “I’m scared for our relationship,”

“So am I,” He murmurs, moving closer.

“We need to talk about this,” Sumi argues, closing her eyes so she doesn’t have to see the look he’s giving her.

“We will,” Yoongi sighs happily, “Just not now,”

“But you asked me about it!” Sumi folds her arms, preventing him from moving any further. He moves back, pouting a little.

“Listen, Sumi,” Yoongi shuffles as close as he can, so his chest is pressed against her folded arms, “It’s a hard decision and we are lost in our dreams. I want you to know I love you and I always will. Is that enough?”

Sumi considers this for a moment. She seems to agree that he’s right and that it is enough to just love each other and get through it together. Sumi unfolds her arms, smiling a little.

“I guess,” She whispers.

“Bae Sumi,” Yoongi grins, “Are you giving me permission to kiss you?”

Sumi blushes, but she doesn’t shake her head. She doesn’t push him away. Yoongi’s smile is replaced with a dark grin that awakens parts of Sumi she never knew existed.

Yoongi leans closer, brushing his lips against hers.

Suddenly, she can’t take it. She places her hand on Yoongi’s neck, pulling him into her. They kiss passionately as if this is their first and last kiss.

Yoongi puts many feelings he can’t express with words into the kiss, placing one hand on the nape of her neck and his other on her waist.