Chapter 23

Parallel Lines

Chapter 23

 

Rookie HIP-HOP Duo Take over the Charts

New Rap Duo, RM and Suga, have taken over the charts with their recent Mix Tape: First Love. Debuting under a small company: Bighit Entertainment. RM and Suga have surprised the media with their title track: Just Kill Me… 19/3

 

Break down of ‘RM&SUGA – JUST KILL ME’

In an interview, RM and Suga both state that Suga wrote the lyrics for the title track. “It came from the heart,” Min Yoongi (Aka, Suga) stated, “I had to voice some emotions, and what better platform than this?” … 22/3

 

Is ‘RM&SUGA – JUST KILL ME’ too raw for Mnet?

Recent information has been released on the controversy surrounding rookie group sensation RM&SUGA’s debut song not meeting Mnet’s rules and regulations. Bighit has responded saying: “We are a Hip-Hop company with many underground rappers and artists. Our music is and will continue to be true to Hip-Hop,” … 22/3

 

RM&SUGA allowed to perform at GAON Music Awards

It has been confirmed that RM&SUGA will be receiving an award at the year-end ceremony. To celebrate this accomplishment, they have been approved to perform their title track ‘JUST KILL ME’ and another track titled ‘Underground Korea’. 25/3

 

RM&SUGA interview – Mr Perfect

Online sensation Mr Perfect recently interviewed RM&SUGA on their debut and their plans for the future…

…SUGA: I plan on working on my composing and writing. All of my energy goes into my work. MrPerfect: Of course! What about you Namjoon (RM)? RM: We are only rookies. We have so much learning to do. We hope our next album is even better than this one… 30/3

 

RM&SUGA Fandom name already chosen??

Bighit has recently revealed that they have already chosen and copyrighted a fandom name for the duo.

&. Also known as ‘And?’. According to Bighit, it has the attitude, like the boys, and the symbol is between their name, supporting them, by their side. Fans have taken a liking to the new name. What do you think?

 

 

 

 

Yoongi continues scrolling through the articles from the past week. It has been a month since they released their mixtape ‘First Love’. Yoongi wrote the entire album in a week. Namjoon polished it up and added his own flair and verses to it whilst Yoongi rested from exhaustion. After Vanilla finished the touch-ups, they finally had their debut album. So far, Yoongi has been stopped only once by a fan. They were really chill and wanted to thank him for the ‘emotional beats’ as they put it.

 

The title track was written about Sumi. More specifically, about how Sumi made him feel. In the lyrics, he references drowning in his sorrows, stuck in an endless loop of questions and pain with no escape. Of the interviews he has had, they have all asked why it is so harsh and emotional. Each time he simply said, “I had to voice some emotions,”.

 

The other tracks are about friendship – his friendship with Namjoon and then his friendship with Hoseok and missing his company; a diss-track about Jungkook; And a track about not caring about fame or success when he has something to say.

 

Many people seem to enjoy the album. What surprised them most was receiving the email about receiving a rookie award. Not to mention the views on their music video. They had to start social media accounts to put themselves out there a little more and interact with the fans a little.

Yoongi wasn’t prepared for the popularity of their album, especially considering they are from a very small company. Honestly, he hopes it dies down. He doesn’t want Sumi to see or listen to the album.

 

“Yoongi,” Namjoon peeks into Yoongi’s studio, knocking on the open door, “We’re having a meeting,”

“I’m coming,” Yoongi sighs, putting his phone away.

Feeling a little restless, Yoongi follows Namjoon out of his studio and to a big meeting room, ready to clear his mind and then fill it with information, tactics, and ideas.

 

 

 

 

“Hoseok…” Sumi sighs, resting her forehead on her hand, her phone in her other hand, “I thought you were leaving this week?”

“I’m sorry, Sumi!” Hoseok whines, “I keep getting the wrong dates. It’s all my fault…”

“It’s fine,” Sumi smiles sadly, “But promise me you have the right dates now,”

“I promise! School definitely finishes next week. Friday will be my last day and I will have 3 months with you guys and my family!”

“Are you still moving out?” Sumi asks.

“Yeah, I’m an adult now. I need to move into my own place. But ill finish my last term before I move out officially. There is no point paying rent for a place I’m not living at!”

“I know,” Sumi laughs, “Anyway, I got to go. Jungkook will be home soon and I said I would cook tonight,”

“…”

“Hoseok?” Sumi frowns, “Hoseok are you there?”

“How are things with Jungkook?” He asks. His voice is monotone, which Sumi knows is Hoseok’s way to show he is worried.

“We’re fine,” Sumi smiles, “We haven’t heard from Yoongi since,”

“I’m not talking about Yoongi,” Hoseok murmurs quietly, “I’m talking about you two,”

“Oh,” Sumi realizes what he is talking about.

 

Sumi told Hoseok to only call her whilst Jungkook is at work so that he doesn’t get jealous. When he found her on the phone with Hoseok a year ago, Jungkook got so jealous he told Sumi that she can’t speak to Hoseok anymore. But Hoseok has become Sumi’s best friend at this point in her life, so she refused. Sumi tells Hoseok everything, including anything Jungkook does that annoys her. Last time, she spent the entire call complaining about how Jungkook has a flirty coworker but doesn’t want her to speak to Hoseok.

Eventually, it came down to Sumi promising not to speak to Hoseok but talking to him anyway.

She knows that if Jungkook finds out he’ll be furious, but she doesn’t understand why he’s being like that. Hoseok was very close to Jungkook. Why is he so jealous of him?

 

“He… he doesn’t know that I talk to you,” Sumi checks the time. Jungkook will be home soon and she needs to clear her phone history.

“What? Even though he goes through your phone?” Hoseok gasps.

“I clear my call log,” Sumi answers.

“That works?”

“Seems to,” Sumi smiles, “I guess you’re going to tell me to talk to him about his coworker tonight, huh?”

“As soon as you can. You can’t let emotions bottle up like this,”

“I know,” Sumi sighs, “Listen, I really should go. He’ll be here soon,”

“Alright… take care, Sumi,”

“You too. I’ll see you next week,”

“You can count on it! Bye-bye!”  Hoseok hangs up. Sumi quickly deletes his call and heads to the kitchen, starting dinner.

 

As Sumi puts rice into the rice cooker and starts on the meat, Jungkook arrives.

“Hey, Jungkook!” Sumi calls from the kitchen. A few moments later, after Jungkook takes off his shoes and sorts out his bag, he enters the kitchen, smiling. He has his hands behind his back, watching her expectantly. He is wearing his suit pants and a white button-up shirt. It suits him a little too well. His hair is messy as he always ruffles his hair when he enters the house.

Sumi smirks. She washes her hands and stands in front of him.

“Are you waiting for a hug?” Sumi asks. Jungkook nods, grinning from ear to ear.

Sumi wraps her arms around his waist, squeezing him tightly. When she pulls away, there is an enormous bouquet of flowers in front of her. Jungkook holds them out for her, his smile getting so big his nose wrinkles a little.

“I hope you like them,” Jungkook says as Sumi takes them, “I saw them and thought of you,”

Sumi gasps, taking in the beauty and fragrance of the flowers. They are roses, Sumi’s favourite flower. The roses are red and pink, wrapped in white cellophane and tissue paper with a dark pink ribbon holding it all together.

“They are beautiful!” Sumi takes a deep breath, breathing in the aroma, “I love them!”

“Let me put them in a vase,” Jungkook says, grabbing a tall glass from the cupboard and filling it up with water. He takes the flowers from Sumi and places them in the vase. He steps back to admire his work, that boyish grin still on his face. Sumi looks at him and beams.

 

“Thank you,” She steps forward, wrapping her arms around him again. He wraps his arms around her, making her feel safe and secure. The best thing about his hugs is that Sumi is able to get lost in his scent. The general smell of Jungkook. She could close her eyes and sleep easily – which she does often.

He pulls away, giving her a knowing look.

“That’s not all,” He smirks. Before Sumi can ask, Jungkook rushes from the room, returning with a small present. It appears to be a jewellery gift box.

“What’s this?” Sumi asks. Jungkook passes her the box, swaying a little with nerves.

“Open it,” he says simply.

Sumi lifts the lid and gasps. Inside is a beautiful necklace with a heart pendant hanging from it. It has their initials engraved on the front. Sumi tugs it from the box and opens it. Inside the heart is a photo of them drunk at the Korean BBQ place. Sumi giggles and looks up at him, eyes glistening.

“You… you didn’t have to do this…” Sumi looks back at the flowers, “Why…?”

“I just felt the need to remind you of my love for you,” Jungkook shrugs, “We argued a lot on our date a few weeks ago and I wanted to make it up to you,”

 

Sumi suddenly feels overwhelmed. How can she complain about such an amazing man? Could she ask for anything better?

As Sumi admires the necklace, Jungkook reaches over and picks up Sumi’s phone. Her chest tightens a little, but she doesn’t stop him. He unlocks her phone and begins swiping through it.

“Let me know when dinner is ready,” He looks up and smiles as he leaves the room, walking over to the lounge room. Sumi can just see his head over the couch as he sits down. She places the necklace into the jewellery box and decides to take it to her room. She places it on her bedside table, right beside a teddy bear he once bought for her. When Sumi returns to the kitchen, the rice is cooked, and the meat needs to be turned over.

 

Soon, dinner is ready to be served. Sumi grabs the Kimchi out of the fridge.

“Dinner is ready,” Sumi calls out. When she turns around, Jungkook is in the kitchen getting the plates ready. He sets the table and helps Sumi bring the food.

 

“It looks good,” Jungkook grins as he digs in. Sumi eats slowly, her heart and brain fighting a battle that is driving her crazy.

“What’s wrong?” Jungkook asks. Sumi realizes that she has stopped eating completely, staring at her food helplessly. She decides to ask him.

“Jungkook…” Sumi bites her lip, “Can I ask you something?”

“Sure, anything,” Jungkook replies, frowning a little.

“You know… Areum…” Sumi bites her lip, “Do you still talk to her?”

Jungkook sighs and puts his chopsticks down. He looks up at her, his eyes giving nothing away.

“You mean my coworker?” Jungkook asks.

“Yes,” He sighs again.

“After buying you flowers, and a beautiful necklace… you ask me that?” Jungkook murmurs.

“It’s been on my mind all day. I couldn’t concentrate,”

 

Areum is one of Jungkook’s coworkers. She followed him from university to his new job. She seems intent on following him wherever he goes.

She has confessed to him and even bought him things. But, for some strange reason, Jungkook seems to be enjoying the attention. He even took her to a restaurant. When Sumi found out about it she had to ask Jungkook to not see her. Jungkook, of course, avoided the suggestion easily. Every time Sumi talks about it, he makes her feel guilty.

But every day she feels more and more anxious. Has she tried anything on him? If she did, would Jungkook tell her? Would he stop talking to Areum for her? All these thoughts have been bottling up in her mind and she can’t stand it. She decided that she would never bottle things up ever again, especially not to ‘keep the peace’. She planned on talking to him tonight about it, but he surprised her with gifts. But she can’t back down. Her mental health is more important.

 

“Don’t you trust me?” Jungkook asks.

“This has nothing to do with trust,” Sumi says, “Areum very obviously likes you and it makes me uncomfortable – no, it makes me upset to know you see her every day at work,”

“Not just at work,” Jungkook murmurs. He picks up his chopsticks and starts eating again.

“What?” Sumi snaps, “What do you mean?”

“I take her home at the moment,” Jungkook looks up at her innocently, “Her car broke down,”

Sumi scoffs, folding her arms.

“Why would you do that? You know she likes you. Have you even told her you are taken?”

“If it makes you feel better, I don’t think she likes me anymore,” Jungkook mumbles between mouthfuls of food, ignoring the last part of her statement as usual.

“Why?”

Jungkook shrugs, still looking at his food.

“She isn’t as shy around me anymore. She flirts, true, but she hasn’t tried anything for a while,”

Sumi stares at him for a moment, anger building inside of her.

“Are you serious?” Sumi growls, standing up angrily from the table, “Are you actually serious right now?”

Jungkook looks up at her and nods.

“Why?”

“Why? WHY?” Sumi yells, “Are you that stupid? How can you not see how this is making me feel?”

Jungkook chuckles and leans back in his chair.

“What about you and Hoseok?”

“That’s irrational,” Sumi snaps, “Hoseok is my friend. He has never shown feelings towards me and has never been like that at all. You haven’t even told this girl that you are taken!”

“He’s a guy, Sumi,” Jungkook glares at Sumi’s phone, “You didn’t stop talking to him, so why should I stop seeing Areum?”

 

Sumi’s heartbeat is in .

“What are you talking about?” She murmurs. Jungkook nods at her phone.

“You deleted the log history, but you forgot one very simple thing,”

Jungkook looks up at her grimly.

“You forgot to delete the messages,”

Sumi sighs, looking away from him. How could she be so stupid? The one time she forgets she decides to talk to him about Areum.

“Alright, you’re right,” Sumi quips, “I have been talking to Hoseok. But I haven’t been meeting on secret dates or letting him flirt with me, and I certainly wouldn’t be friends with him if he confessed to me at all!” 

“But you lied to me,” Jungkook mumbles, “Why did you lie?”

“No!” Sumi shakes her head as Jungkook stands as well, “No! Don’t you dare change the subject! I am not ing around with some guy and acting like it’s okay!”

“I’m not sleeping with her,” Jungkook frowns, “Why would you even think that?”

“What sane person hangs out with someone who likes them and does not tell them they are in a relationship?” Sumi asks, “What is wrong with you?”

 

Jungkook moves forward, a crease between his brows.

No. no guilt-tripping.

“Don’t you dare touch me!” Sumi puts her hands up, preventing him from moving closer. He stands so he is as close to her as he can be without touching her hands.

“Why?” Jungkook pouts, “Can’t I hug you?”

“No!” Sumi snaps, “You’ll make me feel guilty and then everything will be swept under the rug again!”

“Sumi…”

“That’s it!” Sumi yells, getting hysterical at this point, “If you don’t tell her we are dating, then we are over!”

Jungkook’s eyes go wide.

“What?” He whispers, “You’ll break up with me over this?” Sumi gestures around the room, very close to stomping her feet out of anger. The amount of confusion, anger and sheer frustration that is building inside of her is about to spill out.

“You are borderline cheating on me Jungkook!” Sumi laughs hysterically, “Maybe I should start invading your privacy and go through your phone? But no, I can’t do that!”

“Sumi, stop,” Jungkook tries to grab her hand, but she pulls away.

“No, don’t!” Sumi takes a few steps back, “I’m going to go out and… if you want this to work then… you’ll start thinking about your actions and what you’re doing to me,”

“No, Sumi, don’t go,”

“Think about it, Jungkook,” Sumi retorts. She turns around and grabs her phone and her handbag before rushing to the door to put some shoes on. Jungkook follows her.

 

“Where are you going to go? Yoongi’s house? I bet you’re going to Yoongi’s house!” He snaps. Sumi ignores him, finally slipping on her shoes. As she turns the doorknob to leave, Jungkook grabs her arm and pulls her back. She looks up at him, a little startled in her angry state. He is glaring down at her, his eyes watering from all the emotions.

“Don’t you dare walk out that door,” Jungkook murmurs darkly, his grip tight on her arm.

Sumi glares back, pulling roughly out of his grip.

“Call me when you grow up,” Sumi hisses before swinging open the door and closing it behind her. Her heart snaps in two as she rushes down the driveway and into the street, tears falling hard and fast down her face.