Chapter 5

REMEMBER WHEN...

"Yah unnie! Where are you going?" I heard Harin shouted from the door step she was going to have her morning job and I'm about to enter my car.

 


"Dara" I said and smiled.

 


I'm planning to cook breakfast for her before she go to work. Dara's schedule is crazy, like she doesn't have any rest day and according to Durami she always skipping her breakfast.

 

 

Harin just smiled at me and went of. She's been like that when Dara is our topic. She's not talking more of Dara to me and I know why, it's because she doesn't trust her Dara unnie to me anymore. She loves Dara like a real sister, I remember how Harin hated her after she learned that Dara and I broke up. I thank God that everything is okay now with my sister.

 

 

I drove myself to Dara's house, I rang the doorbell. I'm holding a plastic bag with the ingredients I need later. Few minutes later, Durami opened the door.

 


"Anyeong!" I greeted her.

 


"Unnie!" She smiled. It's so surprising that Durami never change the way she threats me. "Come inside"

 

 

I remove my shoes and wear slippers, Dara's mom is in the living room watching morning news. I went near her and bow.

 


"Anyeong omma" I greeted. I still called her Omma since she got a little angry yesterday when I called her auntie. She said that even if Dara and I are no longer in a relationship she still see me as her daughter.

 


"You're early?" She asked me with a smile.

 


"Is Dara already awake omma?" I asked as I put the plastic back in their kitchen. I still feel at home here since it became my 2nd home for 6 years.

 

 

"No, she usually wakes up around 9am every weekends" omma said.

 


I creassed my forehead. As long as I remember she usually woke up before 7 everyday regardless if she has work or none. It's like her body has own clock.

 

 

"She's been like that since she learned how to go in parties every friday or everytime she has a chance" Durami explained.

 

 

I got puzzled. Dara going in parties? Every time she's free? Knowing Dara, it's not her thing. She hates the smell of alcohol and smoke together. She also doesn't like crowded places with dim lights. I suddenly remember what Bom unnie told me last night... Dara is not the same Dara anymore.

 

 

 

 

"Unnie are you going to cook?" I heard Durami asked which made me snapped back from the reality.

 

 

 

"Yeah, gonna cook breakfast for us" I said and smile.

 

 


"Yes! I missed your cooking unnie" 

 


I just chuckled, if Dara is my no. 1 fan for music, Durami is surely the no. 1 fan of my cooking.

 

 

"Omma can I use your kitchen?" I asked permission. I know that the situation now is different. Dara is not anymore my girlfriend and the reality is that I'm not anymore part of this family.

 


"Of course Chae, go on and just feel at home" Omma said which made me smile wider.

 

 

I start cooking Dara's favorite breakfast. Durami is just sitting on the stool in the kitchen corner.

 


"Durami?" 

 


"Yes unnie?" She looks at me.

 


"Why are you still nice to me?" I asked. I'm just wondering why they don't hate me even after what I did to Dara.

 

 


"Why unnie? You don't want us to be nice with you?" She asked in confusion.

 

 


"No, of course not. I'm just wondering why you don't hate me after you know... Our break up"

 

 

I return my stare on the food I'm cooking, I'm just quietly waiting for Durami's answer.

 

 

"There's nothing wrong with what you do unnie" Durami said which made me more confused.

 

 

"what... What do you mean?" I asked as I look at Durami.

 

 

"Dara unnie told us that she was the one who broke up with you"

 

 

... She's really protecting me. Why Dara? You're supposed to be mad at me and tell everyone that I choose my dreams over you. They suppised to hate me because I hurt you, why are you doung this? 

 

"Why Unnie? is Dara unnie not telling us the truth?" Durami asked. She was looking intently at me.

 

 

"Actually...." I'm not able to finished my words....

 


"What are you doing here?" 

 


Both Durami and I looked at the person who spoke. Thunder is standing tall in the kitchen entrance. I got chills all over my body with the way he looked at me.

 


"Yah oppa! Why are you like that? You're scaring us!" Durami exclaimed.

 


"I said what are you doing here?" he repeated while looking at me. If stares can kill, I will surely die any moment now.

 

 

"I'm... I'm...visiting Da..ra" ! I'm stampering.

 

He clentch his jaw, I can see how mad he is. Who would not Chae? You hurted her dear unnie. 

 

 

"Leave my noona alone, she doesn't need someone like you" he said, his voice are deep that drowning me.

 


"Yah! What are you saying?!" Durami stopping him.

 

 


I feel like crying but I need to be strong. It's my fault so I deserve this. Thunder is one of the very first person who accepted our relationship in an instant, without any question. He even said that he knows that I will take good care of her noona.

 


"Thunder...."

 


"What it is this time Chaerin? Are you not satisfied of hurting her? She had enough!" his voice became louder and full of angry.

 


I ducked my head, I deserve this.

 

 

"What's going on here?"

 

We all look at the person behind Thunder... Dara... my Dara.

 


"Cheondong... Why are you shouting?" she asked, I bet she did not saw me yet.

 


Thunder did not answer her, instead he went out. Dara shifted her eyes and there... She saw me.

 


"Chae? What are you doing here?" She asked immediately.

 

 

"Unnie your soup is burning!" Durami screamed. Oh shoot!

 

 

Without any thought, I tried remove the pan from the burner but I ended up being burnt. it so freaking hot!

 

 

"Unnie/Chae!" 

 


"Aww!" I exclaimed as I shake my left hand... it hurts.

 


Durami run into the stove and turn it off while Dara grabbed me and put my hands on the running water. ... 

 


"What the hell are you thinking Chaerin?!" Dara scolded me.

 


I really wanna ing cry, it so ing hot and I feel my hand burning. Ughhh.

 

 

"Durami get the first aid kit!" Dara said.

 


"Dae unnie" Durami run immediately.

 


"Why the hell you hold that pan chae?! Are you thinking?!" Dara angrily said. She's freaking cute... 

 


"Ouch!" I exclaimed. She pinched my waist.

 


"And the hell you're still smiling like a fool there?" her eyebrows went up.

 

 

"You're still beautiful" I said but deep inside my I was crying in pain... my hand stings.

 


I saw her blushed. Got ya there babe! 

 


"Shut your mouth up or I'll burn your other hand too" she glared at me. 

 

 

Ofcourse I did shut up, heck I still want to have my both hands with me. I suddenly felt happy and forgot what happened earlier with Thunder. Dara is here taking care of me is all that matters now.

 

 

"Unnie, here's the kit" Durami put the med kit on the dinning table.

 


                          -*-*-*-*-*-*-

 

I put bandage to Chaerin's hand. I don't know what is she thinking that she forgot that the pan is smoking hot. Her hand really got burnt, it's not that serious but still...

 


"What did Cheongdong told you earlier?" I asked.

 

I woke up earlier with my brothers loud voice so I went down to look for him only to find out that he was talking to Chaerin. I did not hear their conversation and I really wanna know what it is.

 

 

Chaerin's face became serious. I don't know what they talked about but I'm sure it's about me and it's not that good conversation since I heard Cheondong shouted.

 

 

"Nothing" She said and shifted her gaze.

 

 

"He will not shout like that if it's nothing" I firmly said. I know my brother.

 

 


"I cooked you breakfast, I think it's still edible though" Chaerin immediately stood up and went near the stove.

 

 

I decided to not pushed it. If I know Cheondong, I also know Chaerin. She would not say anything if she doesn't want to talk about it. 6 years is enough to know her.

 


She walked back holding a bowl of... Ramyun? She used to cooked this for me since this is one of my favorite breakfast. She also have some meat and bread.

 


"Chae? You don't have to do this" I said. 

 


"shhh... Just eat okay?" She smiled. She doesn't wearing her eye make up so her eyes looks like a cat and it's very cute.... cute? Stop it Dara. "You should eat too, I can't eat properly if you're just going to stare at me"

 

 

She get herself another bowl of ramyun and comeback with a huge smile. We ate in silent, I don't know I feel awkward all of a sudden. I mean, we really don't talk properly after she cameback. I know we're still friends after the break up but what is she doing now? The last time I checked we're not this close anymore. 

 

 


"I miss this" I heard Chaerin.

 


I looked at her, she was smiling while looking at me. 

 


"You miss ramyun?" I tried to avoid the idea of her missing our morning breakfast together.

 

 

She look down at her food "Yes, american food is different" then she look at me "But I miss you more"

 

 

I was speechless. Stop right there Chaerin. It's not funny. I keep silent and I don't even looking at her too. I don't know what Chaerin is doing or what did she mean by that but one thing is for sure, I won't let my guard down this time.

 


"I forgot to gave you the shoes from 99%. They asked me to give that to you since you're not able to attend their event" I said to change the topic.

 

 

 

"Yeah, they told me that already"

 


And we became silent again... Awkward. After eating I told Chae to just go to omma and I will be the one who's gonna wash the plates. At first she wants to help me but I denied her. I need time to let everything synch in.

 

 

After I done washing the plates, I went to our garden, Omma and Chaerin are busy talking and laughing with each other. They are really that close. I remember the time when I first introduce her to my mother, I was really nervious that time... It was so nerve wrecking moment but Chae remained calm that night, she's so confident and there are no hint of nerviousness on her that time...

 

 

"Babe calm down" I heard Chae said and hold my hand.

 

 

We are here at my family house. We're waiting for omma to went down. We set a dinner with them because we plan to tell them the real score between us. It's been three months now and I think it's really about the time to tell them.

 

"Come, sit with me" She pulled me beside her.

 


"I'm nervious" I said then bite my lips.

 

 

She hold my chin and make me look at her. She gave me an assuring smile anf kiss my forehead.

 

"Everything will be alright"

 


I hugged her, no matter what happens tonight... I'll stick with this girl and I'll fight for her.

 


"I love you Chae"

 

I felt her tighten her hug on me, her arms feels like the safest place on earth.


"I love you too babe"

 


We waited for few moments and finally I saw omma on the stairs, she was smiling widely to Chaerin. We stood up and bow to her.

 

 


"Anyeong auntie" Chaerin greeted

 


"Anyeong Chaerin-ah" Mom greet back.

 


"Omma" I went near her and give her a hug "I miss you"

 

 

"Aegoooo... Go home every weekends so you won't miss me" mom said and hug me back.

 

 

I felt guilty for a moment, I'm so busy this past few months and I barely go home and when I got a little free time from work Chaerin and I will spend it somewhere to relax.

 

 

"What's going on? Why you suddenly wants to have dinner with us?" She asked after we break our hug.

 

 


"Later omma, where is the two?" I asked about my siblings.

 

 


"They'll gonna be here anytime soon" She walk to the kiving room and tagged Chaerin with her "How are you little cat?" I heard her, I chuckled. She loves to call my girlfriend a cat because according to her, Chaerin looks like a cute cat and I could not agree more.

 

 

 

"Yah Auntie, I'm not a cat" My girlfriend complained.

 

 

"Yes you are" I said and put my tongue out. Hahaha she glared at me.

 

 


We talk about work while waiting for my siblings. Omma is scolding us for working too hard and not able to have a proper rest.

 

 

"We're here!" Thunder said smiling.

 


My brother knows our plan, he knows about Chaerin and I by accidentally hearing us when we had an after party for the success of an event we are in.

 

 


"Anyeong Cheondong oppa" Chaerin greeted. Thunder is older than her.

 


"Anyeong Chaerin" My brother said and bow.

 

 

"Yah oppa! Why did you left me there?!" it's Durami. Aist with this two. "Omo! Anyeong Chae unnie... You're here"

 


I chuckled, she really is a fan of Chaerin. I mean, Chaerin and my other members are alwats here but my little sister is having a starstruck feeling until now whenever she saw Chaerin.

 

 


"Anyeong Durami" My girlfriend bow and smiled at her... Did I already mention how cute she is? Well, she's always be the cutest in my eyes.

 

 

"Wow the disrespect here. I'm here but you only greeted Chaerin" I joked.

 

 


They look at each other... Oh my ghad... I know that look! I was about to hide on Chaerin's back when they run and collapse me, we ended on the couch. They are hugging me and I can't breath!

 

 


"Yah! I can't... breath!" I said.

 

 

They immediately let go of me. Aishhh with this kids. They always do that.

 


"Enough with that, let's have dinner" Omma said and went to the kitchen.

 

 

I feel like I'm gonna puke because of nerviousness. It's not my first time to introduce someone with them but ofcourse tonight is different. It's not like a typical kind of relationship.

 


The dinner was good, my mom really cooks well. We casually talk about anything will eating. Durami told us that she wanted to take film and photography in college but mom wants her to take something else. I just told her to think about it first and if that what's she really wants then I support her. Cheondon on the the other side is going to have their tour in less than a month.

 

 

We are now eating our desserts, it's manggo ice cream that my filipino friends sent me. I was about to eat my icecream when Chaerin spook.

 


"Auntie..."

 

 

We all look at her, I felt her hands on mine. Omma and Durami look at our hands. I gulp many times, I feel thursty all of a sudden.

 

 


"is there something we don't know?" omma asked not removing her gaze on our hands.

 

 

I cleared my throat, I need to tell them... 

 

 


"Chaerin and I..." I close my eyes... it's not that easy.

 

 


"We are in a relationship"  Chaerin continued.

 


I opened my eyes when no one speak after that. Durami look so shocked, Thunder is just sitting cool on his sit while mom... 

 


"Did you two know the consequence of that?" mom asked. She's so serious that made me more nervious.

 

 

"Yes auntie, we know all the consequence of this and I'm willing to take the responsibility. I love Dara, I really do and I can give up anything for her. I maybe a girl but I can be man enough to protect her. Auntie I know it's hard to accept what Dara and I have but please gave us a chance to prove everyone that this is not wrong, it just happened that we fall in love and being in love is not wrong. I love your daughter with all my heart and I try my best to not hurt her" Chaerin said, I feel like my heart is full right now. Thank you Chae, thank you for loving me this much.

 

 

"Dara" My mom called me, she's still has that seriousness.

 


"Omma..."

 


"Are you sure about this?" mom asked.

 


I tighten my hold on Chaerin hand, it's now or never Dara.

 


"Yes omma. I'm sure about Chaerin. I've never felt this sure all my life omma, just now and only with Chae. Omma I'm happy, I'm really happy with Chaerin. She made me feel happy in a way that no one else could ever make me feel. Chaerin is a good person and I know that you all know that. Omma, please accept us. There is nothing wrong with us, with what we feel. Please omma, I love her, I love Chaerin so much" I looked at my mom's eyes trying to see acceptance in there.

 


Silence are filling the room, no one dares to speak, it was suffocating. I felt Chaerin's hand squezing mine as if saying that everything will gonna be fine.

 

 

"I don't know what to say..." Mom broke the silence. "give me more time to think"

 

 

We just watch her as she went upstairs to her room. I ducked my head, I feel like crying. I understand my mom, I know it's really hard to accept this kind of relationship. I just hope that someday she'll accept that. I will never gonna get tired of waiting for that day.

 


"It's okay baby, everything will be fine" Chae comforted me.

 

 

"But..."

 

 

"Shhh... I'll do my best to make auntie accept us okay? Don't worry" She said and kissed my hand.

 


I saw Cheondong looking at us, his eyes are saying that he'll gonna support us, Durami just smiled at us as if saying she accept us.

 

 

After that night, Chaerin never fail to send my mom a flower every morning, visiting her everytime she gets a chance. It seems like she's courting my mom. She never surrender even if my mom is avoiding her at first. She was true to her words until the day when my mom called us and invites us for a dinner. There she finally told us that she supports us and accept what we really are. That was one of the happiest day of my life.

 

 

Now, looking at them makes me smile. Atleast there are things that we are able to save from our relationship and one of that is her relationship with my mom. Atleast I made the right decision of not telling them what's the real reason of our break up.

 

 

"Unnie?" I heard Durami.

 

I look back at her but my eyes went wide seeing the person behind my sister...

 


"Hi!"

 

 

 

 

Anyeong everybody! Help me know who's the person behind Durami. Comment down your suggestions! Mom Chaerin is in Korea so I bet they already saw each other yieee! Hahaha