Under this tattoo of mine, there is you

Sugar Cake

Wendy hates tattoo. She knows that fact. Well, until some certain circumstances. Wondering why?

You see, she has a girlfriend. A really, beautiful girlfriend to be exact. And she is covered in tattoos.

Yup, you heard it right. Irene Bae is covered in tattoos, at almost every inch of her body (Believe her. Wendy has checked it several times). The only part of her body that is not covered with a single tattoo is only her beautiful, almost perfect face.

Yes, Wendy still hates tattoos. Wendy still trying to keep herself not to make a disgusted expression while looking at someone who was covered in tattoos. But for Irene, somehow, there is an exception.

Wendy doesn’t know how to explain it. But there is something about her girlfriend’s tattoo that makes it alluring.

How the tattoos look ten times more attractive when she about to give kisses and marks on her neck. All she wanted is just , nibbling, and soothing the skin that was covered with sweat and permanent ink with love. Giving it the attention that it deserves.

How she always gives her trail of kisses while following the line of the tattoos that were marked on the skin of her body, feeling the body squirmed and always asking for the attention of her lips.

How she always moves her fingers against the of the tattoo as if she was the one who draws it on her sacred body, memorizing every line and every inch of it.

“You have a new tattoo,” pointed Wendy as she softly the tattoo which was located on the back of Irene’s left shoulder, as she keeps prompting herself up with her arm on the bed. Lying by her side while she inspecting the new tattoo. She didn’t even bother to cover the upper part of her and her girlfriend’s body with the blanket.

It was a tattoo of a sentence. And it’s in Latin. Wendy doesn’t know the meaning of it. And she didn’t intend to. All she knows is that her girlfriend’s back shoulder somehow looked much hotter than usual.

“Mhm,” replied Irene lazily, enjoying the soft, lazy on her skin, while making herself comfortable with the soft pillow underneath her. “I got it from the newest tattooist that I found today.”

“Oh yeah? They did a great job.”

Irene chuckles softly. “SHE did a great job. Her name is Kang Seulgi. I think she’s going to be my favorite tattooist from now on.”

Wendy leaned in, giving the new tattoo her upmost attention, a soft kiss. “Glad you have found your favorite tattooist.”

“Do you want to know the meaning of it?” asked Irene, clearly enjoying the attention that she got from her.

“What is it?”

“It means ‘I love you, ‘till kingdom come’.”

Wendy chuckled as she turned her girlfriend’s body, kissing her lips hungrily. “God, you are so cheesy.”

And the heated second round quickly started from there.

Every time they meet with each other, Wendy almost always found a new tattoo on Irene’s skin (It’s not like they always have whenever they met each other but the condition and the situation is irresistible, you know? Wendy can’t hold it back). Last time, before this one, she founds it on her right collarbone.

And you can bet that night went wild.

Are you still wondering how come the Great Wendy Son, who hates tattoo so much, could stumble and fall in love with someone that is almost completely covered in tattoos like the Majestic Irene Bae? Well, it’s not that easy either in the beginning.

It’s all started on a fine, sunny afternoon at one of the best hospitals in Seoul. Wendy was enjoying her nice lunch alongside her work partner when suddenly her buzzer went on, buzzing inside her pocket. She looked at the buzzer that was beeping with a red light.

They need her in the Emergency.

“What’s the situation?” asked her to one of the nurses there, once she arrived at the ER. People were rushed, going here and there in such a quick pace, like how it usually is.

She quickly landed her eyes on someone who was laying on the bed, full of blood and cuts here and there. She quickly makes a disgusted expression once she spotted several tattoos on that someone’s body.

God. Not again.

“A thief?” asked Wendy as she told the staff to prepare a surgery room immediately.

“No. It’s far worse than that.”

“Oh. A murder?”

“I wish,” snorted Park Sooyoung, the nurse that was assigned with her.

Wendy frowned. “Then what is it?”

“It’s a battle between gangsters.”

Wendy is taken aback. A gangster? On this fine, modern age?

“Why is it so hard for you to believe that she is, our patient, a gangster?” asked Sooyoung as she tends the cut on the woman’s arm.

“This is a modern age, Sooyoung,” said Wendy, still focusing her eyes on a far worse wound than the others. “There is no gangster.”

Sooyoung snorted. “I forgot that you spend the majority of your life living in Canada.”

Wendy sighed. “Well, if she’s a gangster, then you must know about her.”

“She’s Irene Bae. Part of Bae’s Family, one of the most influential crime syndicate in Korea. That’s all I know.”

Wendy stopped her movement. “In Korea?”

“Yes, in Korea,” nodded Sooyoung. “So, you need to do a really good job at curing her, if you don’t want your head fall off from your neck.”

Wendy snorted. “As if I didn’t do that right now. And how come you know all of that?”

Sooyoung smirked annoyingly. “A perk of having a link in the police department.”

The surgery went well like every surgery that she did. The patient was currently resting in her room, which is the most expensive room that this hospital has. The VVIP Room. Mayhap Sooyoung was right, that the woman who named Irene Bae is indeed a gangster.

But she is too beautiful for Wendy’s liking to be a gangster. Not that Wendy was starstruck with her or something. It’s just not easy to accept the idea. But seeing all of her tattoos that were on her body, making Wendy leaning more to agree that her patient is indeed a gangster.

She was going to check on her when she was stopped right in front of the door by some buffy man. Wendy frowned as she looked at the man who tries to scare her with his looks, but it doesn’t affect her at all.

Men.

“Where the hell did you think you going, Ms.?” spat the man with a disgust on his voice.

“Um, checking on my patient?” asked Wendy as if it’s not the clearest, most obvious thing in this world.

“And who do you think you are, woman? Dare enough to check on Master’s condition.”

Ah, she’s the boss.

“Because I’m her doctor,” Wendy sighed, getting tired from this nonsense. “Now please excuse me. I need to check on her.”

“Am I already giving you a pass?” growled the man.

Wendy groaned in annoyance now. “Look, Sir. If you keep doing this, I’m afraid that I will need to call security to usher you out from this hospital.”

“Do it,” challenged the man. “Let’s see if they dare enough to usher me out from here.”

“Let her in, Yunho.”

A velvety, sultry voice coming from inside make the man, who called ‘Yunho’, stepped aside and making way for Wendy to step inside the room. “Yes, Master.”

“And leave both of us alone.”

“Yes, Master,” bowed Yunho as she let Wendy in. Quickly closing the door once she was inside.

Wendy let out a sigh as the door closed and quickly turned around, walking towards Irene who was seated on the bed. “Good evening, Ms. Bae. How’s your condition?” she asked with a smile on her face, trying so hard not to make a disgusted face because of the visible tattoos.

“Great,” she answered while nodded curtly.

“Any part of your body that is still hurt?” asked Wendy as she brought her note out.

Irene shook her head as her answer. Wendy quickly took a note from it.

“Are you my doctor?” asked Irene suddenly.

Wendy chuckled at the question while checking on the IV drip. “Yes, I am.”

“The one who tended all my wounds?”

“For the most part, yes. I got help from other doctors and nurses, too.”

Irene hummed and quickly asking a question to her once again. This time, Wendy didn’t expect that question.

“Are you married, Doctor?”

Wendy stopped whatever she was doing with her note at that time. “Pardon?”

“I didn’t like to repeat myself, Doctor…”

“Son, Wendy Son. And no, I’m not married.”

Irene nodded, continuing her ‘interview’. “Are you in a relationship, Dr. Son?”

“I don’t think that my private life has something to do with your condition, Ms. Bae,” said Wendy sternly. Didn’t like the question.

Irene chuckles at her reaction. And Wendy swore that she heard ‘Cute’ coming out from . “You do know who I am, don’t you?”

Wendy shrugged. “Yeah. So?”

Irene smirked, making Wendy feels something clearly will not turn good when she decided to open . And boy, it did.

“Go out with me, Dr. Son. Date me.”

And that is the last straw for Wendy.

“You will be dismissed from this hospital tomorrow, Ms. Bae. Looking at how your wounds have healed well. And your condition is also looking good. So, there will be no reason to keep you long here in this hospital,” explained Wendy as she quickly bids her goodbye. “Good night, Ms. Bae.”

She leaves the room quickly, didn’t wait for Irene’s answer. That is the first time she has experienced something like that from her patient. And she surely didn’t like it.

Things are going well after that. Wendy continues her daily life as a doctor in the hospital. Doing surgeries. Visiting her patients. Teased by Sooyoung. Got disturbed by her residents. Oh, what normal life.

That is until she founds a lunch box on her working desk a week after Irene left the hospital.

Wendy frowned as she looked at the fancy-looking lunch box, turning her head to left and right, trying to find someone who put the lunchbox there. She just left her office for 10 minutes to go to the toilet and suddenly there’s already a lunchbox on top of her desk?

She recognized a small envelope on top of the lunchbox, sitting comfortably. She took it and quickly fished out the small piece of paper inside.

I hope you have a good day today, Dr. Son. Enjoy this lunch. -Irene Bae

Wendy has never crumpled a piece of paper that fast before. She didn’t have a plan to backing out, huh?

Sooyoung raised her eyebrow as she looked at the distressed Wendy who put the lunchbox on top of the table with such a force.

“Since when you make your lunch?” asked Sooyoung as she put a piece of chicken katsu inside . “And that lunchbox is pretty fancy. I know you’re rich as hell but I don’t know you like fancy stuff.”

Wendy scowled. “It’s from Irene.”

The chicken katsu suddenly got stuck at . She coughed loudly, trying to take out the piece of chicken inside while patting her chest hard. Wendy just grumbled, didn’t care about her ‘dying’ friend.

“Irene-“ Sooyoung coughed for a bit before continuing, “as in, Irene Bae?”

“Who else?” scoffed Wendy as she opened the lunchbox, before stopping midway when she looked at the content inside.

“Holy ,” exclaimed Sooyoung. “The food is fancier than the lunchbox.”

Well, it is. That is certainly the best grade Hanwoo beef that ever exists. Seared perfectly to medium-rare. With a clean looking french fries (Yeah, Wendy also doesn’t understand that but the french fries looked so clean), a fresh salad, and a truffle mushroom sauce.

It’s a total lie to say that Wendy didn’t feel overwhelmed with this.

“Want to trade your lunch with mine?” asked Wendy suddenly, making Sooyoung looking at her like some crazy person.

“Are you out of your mind? This is the best lunch ever you could ever get from this hospital and you want to trade it with me?”

“I know you want it, Sooyoung. Stop bullting.”

Sooyoung, as fast as the light, quickly switch her lunch with Wendy’s lunchbox as she yelled a loud “Thank you!” to her.

“But seriously, unnie,” muttered Sooyoung as she munching her fancy lunch with utter delight. “Why did you switch it? She gave it to you.”

“I’m not in the mood to eat that,” answered Wendy loud and clear.

Sooyoung just shrugged and continue eating her lunch wholeheartedly.

Wendy thought that she will not send the lunchbox again. But, no. She sends it every day. Alongside that small letter.

I know that you give the lunch to your friend yesterday. But that will not stop me from always sending you lunch. -Irene Bae.

If you want to know, I’m the one who cooked the lunch, sweetheart. -Irene Bae.

XXXX-XXXX-XXXX. That is my number. Call me tonight. -Irene Bae.

You are a stubborn one. I’m expecting that. Keep giving your friend the lunchbox, beautiful. Because I will keep sending you the lunchbox. -Irene Bae

Wendy doesn’t even want to know how Irene knew she keeps giving the lunch to Sooyoung. And Sooyoung, knowing her, always feel so satisfied with the food in it.

“Going home, unnie?” asked Sooyoung as she stumbles upon Wendy right on the main door.

“Yeah,” answered Wendy while massaging her neck slightly. “I need some good rest after that surgery. You know the residents that working under my vision, right?”

Sooyoung nodded. “Yeah. One of them is Kim Yerim, right?”

“Yup. Go work alongside her for tonight. And remember, do not call me if it’s not seriously important. I really, really need this rest.”

Sooyoung rolled her eyes. “Yes, Dr. Son. Anything else?”

Wendy waved her hand. “Nothing. I’m going now.”

Cold November night wind suddenly hitting her face, the moment she stepped out from the warm hospital building. She took a deep breather, trying to relax her tense body after that crazy 8-hour long of surgery, getting ready to finally get some of her deserved rest.

When something that is exactly in front of the main door stopped her step.

There is Irene Bae, in all her glory. Leaning back to her fancy sports car.

Wendy sighed. It’s going to be a long night.

“What are you doing?” deadpanned Wendy, unimpressed with the action.

Irene smirked annoyingly, according to Wendy’s peripheral vision. “What else do you think I’m doing?”

Wendy raised her eyebrow. “Where are your goons? You don’t bring them with you?”

Irene chuckled. “Nope. Why should I? I’m completely alone.”

“Oh yeah?” Wendy raised her eyebrow much higher than earlier. “Then, why I saw your men around the gate of the hospital the moment I stepped out from the door?”

Irene clicked her tongue. “Damn, I thought I’m already smooth. How do you know?”

“I’m a doctor, Ms. Bae. I must know when something is wrong,” answered Wendy, didn’t forget to emphasize the word ‘must’.

“Irene. Call me Irene. Ms. Bae sounds like I’m an old lady, don’t you think?”

Wendy rolled her eyes. “Whatever you say. And, you still haven’t answered my question.”

“I’m coming to pick you up from work. Isn’t that obvious?”

Wendy squinted her eyes. “How do you know that my work ends at this hour?”

Irene shrugged. “Intuition?”

“Be honest with me, Irene.”

Irene sighed. “Fine. I may or may not dig up some information about you.”

“You’re stalking me?” exclaimed Wendy, surprised.

“Stalking is a really low act that will be conducted by people like me, so I wouldn’t call it stalking. I call it, research.”

Wendy scoffed in disbelieve. She shook her head as she left her. “I can’t believe this.”

“Hey, where are you going?”

“I don’t think it’s your business to know where I’m going,” Wendy said as she turned her body around, looking at Irene. This act is already too much for her to hold back. “And I don’t think it’s appropriate to conduct your so-called ‘research’ over someone just for you to be able to do this.”

Irene sighed. “I know you will be tough, but I don’t think it will be this tough. I’m sorry, okay? I need to do it.”

Wendy snorted. “What do you want from me, honestly?”

“A date.”

Wendy blinked, before chuckled. “You just aren’t going to back off, are you?”

“A Bae never step back from a challenge.”

Now she even considering this as a challenge!

“I think I already make myself clear that I won’t have a date with you, Irene,” stated Wendy clearly. “And I still don’t, so this conversation is over. Good night.”

Wendy was going to start walking when Irene’s voice stopped her once again.

“One condition.”

Don’t start with how she automatically stopped when the tattooed woman called her. Wendy didn’t know the reason, too. She groaned loudly. “What is it now?”

“One date,” stated Irene as she walks towards Wendy, closing the gap between them. “I only need one date, and we will know which one to decide.”

Wendy frowned. “Decide what?”

“If you didn’t like that one date, that’s it. I’m going to stop bothering you. And I will stop sending you lunch.”

Wendy raised her eyebrow. “Are you not going to make my life miserable?”

Irene chuckled. “I will never do something that low. Unless you’re a threat to my family. But no, you’re just a threat to my small, poor own heart.”

Wendy fights the urge to rolled her eyes immediately after she flirted with her. “Alright.”

“But,” Irene started to smirk, making Wendy felt an unknown shiver. “If you’re liking the date, then we continue to date. And maybe, making our relationship better. How about that, Dr. Son?”

That is not a bad bargain at all.

“Fine.”

Irene raised her eyebrow amusingly. “Are we having a deal?”

“Yes. We’re having a deal.”

“Great!” exclaimed Irene happily. “When we start our date?”

“Saturday,” answered Wendy shortly.

“Saturday? As in, tomorrow?”

“The faster the better.”

Irene nodded. “Okay.”

“Pick me up in 10 at my place. If I didn’t find you at my place right at 10, then our date is canceled. Do not be late. And I don’t want you to use your fancy car. I don’t want to get any attention while we’re on a date. Also, don’t bring your goons. I want us to be alone and have an enjoyable, private time. And please, dress decently. Now excuse me, I have a bus to catch.”

Irene frowned. “Wait! Where is your place?”

Wendy raised her eyebrow amusingly. “Oh? I don’t know. Didn’t you already conduct a ‘research’ about me? Go find it yourself.” And she left Irene alone that night, sporting the widest smirk she has ever made that week.

Wendy going through her Saturday morning like usual. Waking up. Making her own hearty breakfast. Enjoying warm coffee while watching some DIY shows. What a nice morning for her.

She took a nice bath, finally taking care of herself. She couldn’t do it these past few days because of how busy she is. Patients come and go. Some need intensive care within the hospital. That’s why she rarely could take a breather.

She decided to wear a nice white t-shirt, accompanied by plaid and also blue jeans. Casual wear for her date today.

Wendy didn’t expect much with this date, nor that she cares about the outcome. She decided that she will have her answer after her date with Irene today is done.

Right at 10 o’clock, she stepped out from her apartment and going downstairs to the lobby. She didn’t expect to found Irene, in all her glory, wearing what it seems to be expensive clothing (the coat that she uses is pretty expensive, Wendy is sure of that), leaning back to her casual-but-still-looking-fancy sedan car.

What’s with Irene Bae and her tendencies to lean back at her car?

“I didn’t expect you to be here right on time,” Wendy said while approaching Irene.

“I’m a woman of words,” replied her as she looks around the apartment. “I didn’t expect you to live in such a fancy place.”

Wendy just shrugged. “I’m a woman of surprise.”

Irene laughed. “Yes, you are. Shall we start this date, my lady?” asked her as she opened the passenger door for Wendy.

Wendy rolled her eyes playfully, noting that Irene tries to flirt with her. “Yes, we shall,” replies her as she stepped inside the car.

The car somehow looks very… standard. There is no expensive polishing or some makeover within the dashboard. The leather seat doesn’t look like it was made from the pricey leather seat someone could afford. And especially, Wendy didn’t spot any secret weapon stash from her view.

“Why? The car interior looks normal to you?” chuckles Irene as she wears her seatbelt and started the engine.

Wendy shrugged. “It’s not my fault that I have this expectation that your car interior will look extravagant, considering how you always sent me those expensive lunch boxes.”

Irene frowned playfully. “You are one difficult woman, you know that? Yesterday you don’t want me to pick you up using my expensive cars. Now, when I used the most normal one, you are expecting that it will be shining, shimmering, splendid.”

“Did you just quote from a movie soundtrack?”

“I can’t help it,” shrugged Irene. She quickly switched the gears and driving the car smoothly. “So, where are we going?”

“I don’t know. Surprise me,” sighed Wendy, leaned back to the comfy seat.

Irene chuckled once again. “As you wish, my lady.”

Turns out, the date with Irene Bae is not bad.

Irene took her to a small, cozy café in the middle of the city. It’s not fancy, like how Wendy expecting it would be since you know, her date is so into fancy stuff. It’s comfortable, homey. Shockingly different from what she’s expecting.

And their conversation is comfortable. There are no awkward vibes between them. Irene is not a talker, that’s for sure. But Wendy feels that their talks are pleasant. She talks about her life as being a doctor. How the pain in the but helpful her resident is. How annoying the nurse that somehow always accompany her whenever she has surgery, always teasing her endlessly.

And then the topic just changes to personal. Wendy still wants to laugh when she remembered Irene’s expression when she told her that she used to live in Canada for ten years, before moving to Seoul for good.

“That is why your accent is a bit weird!” exclaimed Irene after Wendy told her.

“Weird how?” asked Wendy with a frown.

“You talk like a foreigner.”

Wendy just laughed at that.

Wendy also asked about Irene’s private life, which only answered by Irene with a shrug.

“You already know that I’m the leader of it. But apart from that, I’m living the normatively normal life. I wake up, go to work, eat, rest, sleep. That’s all.”

“What kind of work did you do?” asked Wendy as she scooped the remnant of her chocolate sundae.

Irene smiles while promptly leaning her chin to her arm, looking at Wendy with amuse. “And that, Dr. Son, is the topic for our second date, isn’t it?”

They continued their date by going to the cinema since Wendy wants to watch this horror movie ever since it was released. Wendy noticing the nervous gulp that Irene just made beside her. She quickly stifles her upcoming laugh before it made their way out from her vocal cord.

It’s just funny how the leader of the greatest crime syndicate in Korea, can’t even stand to watch a horror movie.

“Are you sure you want to watch this?” asked Wendy with a worried tone laced in her voice. No matter how funny, it’s still worrying. What if she has a phobia or something? “We can watch other movies. I can watch this alone or with my other colleague in the next day.”

Irene shook her head fast. “No. We are going to watch this movie. It’s nothing.”

Wendy raised her eyebrow, unsure. “Alright. Do not scream right beside my ears, okay?”

Well, warning meant to be ignored, don’t they?

Wendy can’t even remember how much Irene has screamed right beside her ear, clinging to her arm so hard that she can’t even move it.  How she used her shoulder to shield her eyes from the view at the screen in front of her. How Irene’s cold hand feels oddly good against her warm hand.

Feeling bad because she asked her to watch a horror movie together, Wendy decided that it’s now her turn to take her to other places. Her choice fell on a nice, street food stand near her workplace.

“I thought you were called for emergency or something,” muttered Irene as she pulled over her car next to the stand.

“Nope. I took a day off for today,” answered Wendy as she took off her seatbelt. She was going to open the door before stopping and rotate her body, looking at Irene with a smirk. “Just for you.”

Wendy tried to hold back her laugh when she spotted red blush blossoming on Irene’s cheeks after she said that, stepping out from the car.

The stand somehow isn’t that crowded. Even though it’s Saturday night, where all people usually decided to go and hang out with their friends. Wendy ordered tteokbokki and soju for both of them.

“Believe me,” Wendy said as she pours soju to two small glass in front of her. “The tteokbokki that they sell here is the best tteokbokki.”

Irene raised her eyebrow as she shed her coat, placing it at the small chair beside her. “Oh yeah?”

Wendy nodded, placing one of the small glass in front of Irene. She took hers, sipping the soju slowly, enjoying the feels of the alcoholic drink filled . It’s been so long since she cherishes herself with good alcohol. Her red wine stock has long gone since two weeks ago. And she didn’t have time to restock.

In front of her, Irene prompted herself with her palm. The long sleeves of her white sweater placed carefully over her nose. It looks like she was sniffing it. Wendy frowned inside. What a weird habit.

But cute.

“You know, Wendy,” Irene said, finally opening . “I love tteokbokki. So I know my version of good tteokbokki. And, I have my own high standard for it.”

Wendy chuckles, eyeing the steaming tteokbokki that was placed in the middle of the table. Looking at the red, thick broth who seems to lure her in, demanding her to try them. The good aroma filling her smelling senses, engaging a smile. “Try it yourself, then. Show if my words true or not.”

Irene eyeing her cautiously, picking up her chopsticks that were already placed in the table and took one of the rice cakes, quickly putting it inside .

Wendy watches her eagerly, trying to read her expressions. Yet she only got a flat face from her.

“It’s good.”

Wendy blinked. “That’s it?”

Irene nodded as she took the rice cake once again.

“This is more than good! This is great!”

Irene waved her palm, denying Wendy’s outburst. “I’ve tasted better.”

Wendy sulked, didn’t feel to continue eating the tteokbokki. “Where did you eat it?”

Irene flashes her smirk. “At my place.”

“Bah.”

Irene laughed loudly as Wendy continues to deepen her pout. “Stop your pout right there, officer. You look so deadly cute right now, it could kill me.”

Wendy felt her face burned while Irene continued her annoying loud laugh. It took her a minute to compose herself and stop laughing. She covers with her sleeved hand, trying to suppress her snickers. Wendy looked at her subtly sniffing it and finally decided to ask her. “Why did you do it?”

Irene stopped her laugh immediately. “Doing what?”

“That,” Wendy said, gesturing towards the sleeve. “Sniffing your sleeves.”

“Oh. I don’t know. Just some habit of mine, I think. It feels comforting,” explained Irene. “Why? Is it weird?”

Wendy shook her head. “It’s not weird, it’s-“

Cute.

“Interesting.”

Irene smiled. “And you are also interesting, Dr. Son.”

Wendy grumbled. The heat on her face never leaves, apparently. “Can you please stop doing that?”

“Blame your blushing face, then. It’s too cute, I can’t help it.”

The stand was filled with their banters and cheesy remarks for the rest of the night. Wendy never laughed that much after she officially becomes a doctor. They even exchanged phone numbers. She really enjoyed today. Until it comes to the time when all of this needs to end.

“This is it, I guess,” sighed Irene as she looked at the grandiose apartment in front of her. Shining as the lights hit the pillar that was covered in gold.

Wendy smiled. “Thanks for today. I really enjoy it.”

Irene gave her a tight-lipped smile. “Can I keep contacting you, please? You know, as a friend.”

Wendy frowned as she noticing the somber looks coming out from Irene’s eyes. “Huh?”

“If you want, though!” exclaimed Irene. “I mean, I don’t want to push you or something.”

Wendy chuckles as she closed her gap with Irene. She leaned in towards her ear, making Irene flustered.

“W-what are you doing?”

“I’m going to wait for the second date then, Ms. Bae,” whispered Wendy and giving her cheek a soft peck before running towards the entrance of her apartment.

She rotates her body, finding Irene standing rigid while touching her cheek where Wendy’s lips were planted earlier.

“Goodbye, Irene. Be careful on your way back!” Wendy said as she received a dazed wave from Irene, who still affected with her kiss.

When she finally stepped inside the lobby of her apartment, she catches a loud, familiar voice coming from outside. Screaming her heart out. Wendy shook her head as she chuckles.

A goofy, crime syndicate leader isn’t that bad to be dated for.

---

Sooyoung eyeing Wendy that was in front of her, sporting a big smile while typing something on her phone. Sometimes she lets out a small giggle for an unknown reason.

Sooyoung looked at Yerim beside her, who also confused with her mentor’s behavior as she raised her shoulders.

“I believe she currently dates someone,” whispered Yerim to her ear.

Sooyoung cleared , asking for Wendy’s attention. And it failed. Sooyoung cleared louder, finally gaining Wendy’s attention.

“What is it?” asked Wendy as she looked at the screen of her phone once again.

“It’s been a week since you acted like this, unnie,” said Sooyoung casually.

“Like what?”

“Like a lovesick person.”

Wendy looked at Sooyoung with wide eyes. “Is it that obvious?”

“Unnie! Are you dating someone?!” gasped Yerim.

Wendy’s face quickly turns into a deep crimson. Jackpot.

“That is Dr. Son for you, Yerim, and yes, I’m seeing someone,” spat Wendy, still with her blushed face.

“Oh my God, unnie! You finally have your own romance life!” said Yerim as she wipes her fake tears.

“Hey! What does that mean?”

Sooyoung looking at their banters flatly. “Is it her? The person you currently seeing now?”

Wendy raised her eyebrow, challenging her to spill the name. “Who?”

“Irene Bae.”

Jackpot once again.

“I thought you hate a person with lots of tattoo in their body,” Sooyoung teased as she leaned her body while smirking. “Turns out there is an exception.”

“I’m done with my lunch,” Wendy said as she rose from her seat and picked up her tray. Her face has turned into deep crimson once again. “Contact me only if there is an emergency. Goodbye.”

Sooyoung was clearing her nurse spot when she caught Wendy standing in front of the main door and talking to someone. Her wide smile plastered on her face as she chuckles happily.

It’s Irene in all her glory, standing in front of her. And it seems that she was picking up Wendy from work.

Sooyoung smiled and shook her head in disbelief. It took a leader of some deadly crime syndicate to break the wall of Wendy’s heart.

---

Wendy invited Irene to have dinner at her place for their third date. The massive amount of pride surging from Wendy’s heart when Irene said that she loves her cooking. And Wendy knows how good Irene’s cooking is because Sooyoung always feels satisfied and in a good mood after eating the food inside the lunch box that was constantly sent by her to woo Wendy. And Sooyoung is such a picky eater. Wendy's smile never falters that night.

“I didn’t realize that a doctor’s salary is this much,” Irene said as she looked around the penthouse. “Not that I belittle them or something.”

They’re currently sitting side by side at the white couch. Viewing the Seoul night view right in front of them. The wide window as the barrier between the penthouse and the view, protecting them from the cold night wind. Sipping Wendy’s fine red wine that she finally managed to buy last week.

Wendy chuckles. “My parents bought this place for me. When they knew I was planning to work here, they immediately claimed this place. And surprising me when they passed me the key several hours before I board the plane.”

Irene hummed. “What a thoughtful parent, they are.”

Wendy smiled, swirling the red wine inside the glass softly. “I’m planning to move out from here, though.”

Irene frowned while took a sip of her wine. “Why?”

“It maybe sounds dumb to you, but,” Wendy looked at her. Her gaze is full of seriousness and determination. “It’s not mine. It’s my parents. And I don’t want to own something that wasn’t mine in the beginning.”

“No, it’s not dumb. It’s a pretty thoughtful act from you,” said Irene, sending her a smile.

Wendy raised her eyebrow. “Did you just say something wise, Ms. Bae?”

“We may be barbaric and having blood on our hands but,” Irene closed their gap, moving towards Wendy’s ear as she whispers. “We’re pretty wise.”

Wendy feels unfamiliar shiver running through her back when Irene’s hot breath hit her cold ear.

“Every day, Dr. Son,” Irene leaned back slightly, so she could see her face better. “Every day I found something interesting in you and it’s always making me curious.

Wendy raised her eyebrow, amused. “Is it now?”

“Yeah,” Irene raised her hand, back Wendy’s hair and putting it behind her ear, so she could see her without any disturber. “Makes me wants to unveil you.”

“Unveil me, then.”

Maybe it’s the effect of the wine, but Wendy doesn’t remember who closed the gap first. The only thing that she remembers is how demanding and soft Irene’s lips are. And it tastes sweet like a peach.

When they broke off to catch their breath, they immediately connect their lips again. Just can’t get enough of each other, the moment they finally got it.

Wendy feels Irene’s hand sneaking onto her waist, pulling it towards her. Demanding to erase the remnant of their gap against each other.

Wendy kissed her lips once again, before trailing kisses to her jaw, and to the pulse that was placed on her neck, covered with tattoos. For the first time in her whole life, a tattoo finally looked so y, so irresistible for Wendy’s eyes. She dived her lips. it hungrily as her ears were being gifted with the most beautiful sound that she ever heard.

The grip on her shoulders tightens as she felt a slight push. Groaning, Wendy pulled herself up, away from that y tattoo covering Irene’s neck.

Irene chuckled ily, Wendy’s already ruffled hair softly. Placing her hand on her sharp, strong jaw, brushing the lips that were making her neck on fire. “As much as I want you to ravish me right here and now, let’s move.”

Wendy frowned as she kissed her finger, slightly it. She noticed the way Irene’s eyes darkens and filled with lust when she did that, filling her heart with pride. “Why?”

“I don’t want some uninvited audience looking at your bare body with their own eyes before I could even enjoy it on my own, by myself.”

Wendy smirked. “Are you jealous, Ms. Bae?”

Irene kissed her hard as she reciprocates with the same strength, battling for dominance. “Much more like, I want to be the first one to enjoy what’s mine. And I would love to keep it that way. Making me the only person that has ever witness it.”

Wendy raised her eyebrow again. “I’m yours?”

“You tell me,” Irene said, circling her hands against Wendy’s neck. She feels her strong arms placed carefully on her waist. “One thing that I know, is that I’m yours.”

“You’re mine,” whispered Wendy, looking at her lips and then her dark hazel eyes.

“Yes.”

“And I’m yours.”

Irene smiled widely. “Yes. You’re mine.”

“I like the sound of it.”

“You do?”

Wendy hummed. “Let’s go, before time starts catching us.”

Irene frowned. “Where?”

“Didn’t you just suggested for us to go somewhere private?” whispered Wendy huskily. “Where else besides my bedroom?”

Wendy pulled her towards her bedroom before she abruptly stopped. Wendy looked back at her with a questioning gaze.

“Why?”

“Remember, Dr. Son.”

Irene opened the door at the back of Wendy’s back, pushing her inside and trapping her against the door, closing it. Cut them off from the outside world. There is only them right now. And ual drives that quickly fill every corner of the room.

“When we are together.”

Irene closed their gaps, feeling her body against hers. Can’t wait to shed every barrier that was still placed on their body. each other raw. Intimate.

“We got all the times in this world.”

Their lips finally meet each other again. Hands unveiling every layer on their body. Feeling every pulse. Loving every flaw. Tasting every curve. Satiating their core. Getting rid of every cold that was placed everywhere. Replacing them with heat. Comfortable heat. Tattooing their names against their skin with every kiss, marking it. Letting them know that they are theirs.

Two hands grasped tightly as they go together, reaching the beautiful, satisfying nirvana.

The next day, Sooyoung smirked playfully as she spotted something on Wendy’s neck. “Wild night, unnie?”

Wendy blushed furiously, fumbling against the door of her damn office. “It’s just mosquitos. You know how annoying they are.”

Sooyoung was amused at her answer. “Yeah, they are.”

Wendy deeply sighed when Sooyoung left her before her next sentence just wants to make her dig herself a hole on the ground she currently stood at.

“Tell me, unnie. Since when mosquitos have tattoos?”

---

The frown on her forehead is too deep as she trying to unveil the tattoo in front of her that was located on her girlfriend’s back.

Irene trying to hold back her laugh, looking at her serious, dorky expression. And she failed miserably. “Why? Is there something wrong?”

“Shut up. I’m still trying to understand this.”

Irene laughed at that. She didn’t even feel offended when she was told by her to shut up.

They were at Irene’s house. The Bae Mansion. The glorious place and the headquarter for the most influential crime syndicate in Korea. Irene has finally invited her. And one thing led to another thing.

Here they are. Inside Irene’s room. After having another heated, ual .

“I still don’t understand.”

Irene let out another laugh. “What is it that you don’t understand?”

“How come you connect a phoenix and a rabbit in one tattoo? Even making it as the symbol of your family.”

Well, yes. The Baes has their own, peculiar way for people to spot them. To know who they are. Like every other crime syndicate, they have their own symbol. A symbol that represents themselves. Showing off their power.

And they chose to combine phoenix and rabbit as their symbol.

“Why?” asked Irene, enjoying the attention that her back got. “Phoenix is great. And rabbit is cute.”

“Have you ever saw a phoenix and a rabbit together in one picture besides the symbol of your family?”

Irene shook her head.

Wendy sighed as she dropped herself to the bed. “That’s what I mean.”

“I liked it. Ever since I was a child,” Irene said after turning around, deciding to the doctor’s bare skin dangerously close to the plane of her s. “I thought it was great.”

“I think I will just never understand that kind of stuff.”

Irene chuckles as she leaned in, kissing the bridge of her nose. “You got all the times to learn it all.”

“Nah, I choose to dwell myself with a thick, medical journal rather than trying to make sense how a phoenix and a rabbit could connect with each other,” groaned Wendy.

“Show me what did you learn from the medical journal, then.”

Her eyebrow quirked upwards. “Are you challenging me, Ms. Bae?”

 “Am I?” she asked back, trying to play innocent.

Wendy grinned. Two can have this game. “Tell me, what did you want to learn tonight, my lady?”

“Everything.”

That whisper is the last word that coming out from Irene’s mouth before it got replaced by the sound of a groan of pleasure. Chanting only one name that is matter in this world, like it was the most powerful magic anyone could possess.

And it was really beautiful music for Wendy. Her personal sound of music.

---

“Did you get the result of the scan?”

“Yes, Dr. Son. And the result is magnificent.”

“Are you sure?” asked Wendy as she scanned the report on her hand that was brought by Yerim.

The cheerful resident nodded. “All the negative things that were once in his body, is all gone. All the lumps had gone.”

Wendy sighed. “Finally. Now his family could calm down and stop bothering me.”

Yerim grinned. “Why? Are they annoying, unnie?”

“Tell it in front of their face, Yerim. Not mine,” deadpanned Wendy. “And for the last time, it’s Dr. Son for you.”

“Our work has done,” Yerim shrugged.

“But the working hour doesn’t.”

Yerim sighed. “You were never complaining if it was Jaehyun or Donghyuck who were doing it.”

“Because they never called me noona,” Wendy hissed. “And you, young lady, are the only resident here that I know to call me unnie freely.”

“Sooyoung-unnie calls you unnie, too.”

“Because she’s already getting her position,” Wendy groaned, massaging her forehead. Never in her entire life, she hopes to get this kind of resident under her supervising. Turns out, God loves to play with her. “Put this folder back in my desk. Meet me at Sooyoung’s place once you were done.”

“Yes, un—Dr. Son,” Yerim quickly fixed it the moment she received a cold glare from Wendy.

Sooyoung quirked her eyebrow once she spotted Wendy’s deep sigh in front of her as she put her head on her desk, blocking the lights with her arms. “Why did you act like the world just go ing against you?” asked Sooyoung as she tidying her folders and things.

“Because that is how it feels,” Wendy mumbled against her arms. But Sooyoung didn’t quietly catch it.

“Huh?”

“How did you tame that devil?” asked Wendy suddenly, popping her head out from the darkness.

“Who?” frowned Sooyoung.

“Kim Yerim. How did you tame her?”

“Oh. Just because,” shrugged Sooyoung, like it’s not a big deal.

Wendy groaned loudly. “She’s such a pain in the .”

“Yes. But she got a real deal talent coming out from her sleeves. And you know it, unnie. You chose her as your resident personally.”

Wendy sighed. “Not all geniuses are perfect apparently.”

 “Look, unnie,” deadpanned Sooyoung, trying to get Wendy’s attention. “If your intention of coming here just to sulk, why don’t you go to the lobby?”

Wendy frowned. “The lobby?”

Sooyoung nodded. Wendy’s frown just got deeper.

“Why?”

“Just go.”

Wendy turned her body slowly, still frowning deeply, and walking towards the lobby. She finally spotted a familiar figure, wearing a leather jacket while holding something that is been quite a while for her to see it.

“Irene?”

The figure whipped her head, quickly flashing her a smile. “Hey.”

“What are you doing? How long have you been in here?”

Irene shrugged. “Visiting you? And no, it’s not that long. Oh, I make lunch.”

Wendy sends her a lopsided smile as she took the lunchbox from her girlfriend’s hand. “You don’t have to.”

“It’s okay. I want to do this. And,” Irene leans in towards Wendy’s ear, whispering. “It’s been a while since I try to woo you using expensive lunchbox.”

Wendy giggles as she leans in too, giving a peck at Irene’s lips. “You’re such a dork.”

“Your dork.”

Wendy rolled her eyes at the exclamation. “Anyway, I’m sorry but, I can’t stay long here. There will be surgery in 30 minutes. I need to prepare things.”

“It’s okay. I also have something to take care of.”

Wendy grasped her hand, kissing softly the lips that still taste like a sweet peach. “As much as I hate your occupation, please be careful.”

Irene smiled, from the kiss and the thoughtful words. “I will. Goodbye, Dr. Son. Go tends your patients.”

Wendy sighed after she bid her goodbyes with Irene, going back to Sooyoung’s place when she spotted the giant and Yerim having a conversation. Sooyoung spotted her coming to their way. “So, she brought you lunch?”

“She?” asked Yerim, confused.

Wendy sighed. “How long she has been waiting?”

Sooyoung shrugged. “30 minutes?”

Wendy widens her eyes in shock. “She’s been here that long?!”

“Who are we talking about here? Who is ‘she’?” asked Yerim, demanding some explanation.

“Maybe longer? Anyway, having a mind to give that lunchbox to me?”

Wendy glares at Sooyoung, protecting her precious lunchbox. The person who got it just chuckled softly, looking at her antics.

“I’m going to be at my office. Contact me if we are ready with the surgery.”

“Yes, Dr. Son.”

“Hey! I still want some explanation here! Unnie!”

---

Irene was smiling ear-to-ear, looking at Wendy who was in her serious and focused state, giving her girlfriend’s wounded arm her utmost care.

“So,” Irene said, still grinning. And Wendy still taking care of her wound. “This is what it feels like having a doctor as my girlfriend—Aw!!! Be careful, babe!”

Wendy pushed the cotton that was covered in antibiotics too hard at the wound, making Irene winced. “You saying?”

Irene puffed out her cheeks, looking like a kid that got rejected by Santa to get her Christmas present. “I’m sorry.”

Wendy just sighed roughly, continuing her work, cleaning up the bad wound.

There is another gangster fight in the city. And of course, her girlfriend, being the leader, is coming along.

Irene looking at her warily as the doctor cleaning up the medical kit that she owned personally inside her penthouse, in case something accidental is happening. And she didn’t expect that the accidental things are this.

Irene sighed. They can’t keep being like this. “Wendy-“

“Do you really have to?”

Irene knew what Wendy meant with that question. “I already told you. It’s my responsibility. It’s my-“

“You got lots of goons behind you. You have your right hand. They weren’t that trustable for you?”

“We already talked about this,” Irene gritted her jaw, her expression hardens. “I thought you already understand.”

“Well, I am!”

“Then what with this act?”

“Because I’m worried!” Wendy yells, shutting off Irene completely. “Do you know how scared I am when I got your call? When you said that you got a slash on your arm? Almost got stabbed? I was going to meet my patient when I got your call and I immediately told my residents to take care of them while I’m running here.”

Wendy panted. All the emotions and rage and sadness and worry finally out in a flow. All those feelings that she has locked inside her heart the moment she got the call, finally free.

“And here you are,” Wendy closed her eyes, trying to holding up every last bit of her emotion, before deciding to just let all of them completely out in the boxed space. “Still managed to even say it.”

She felt a small, soft hand enveloped her own. The hand that she always said resembling a baby’s hand (and Irene always went sulking after she said that). A soft was made by a thumb, trying to make her calm.

And also saying the apology that can’t even be described by words, only action.

“Wendy, look at me,” Irene plead. “Please.”

Wendy opens her eyes to be greeted with stormy, hazel brown eyes that held so many unsaid emotions, so many unexpressed feelings. So many unstated apologies.

Irene linked their fingers, locking them up with a firm grip. She stepped closer, one more step and she could place her lips in her most favorite place in this world. Her eyes locked to the most beautiful brown orbs she has ever seen. That flashed every kind of emotion that exists in this flawed world. Her eyes alone can speak unspeakable words.

And Irene will always understand it. She’s an open book while Irene is her most loyal reader. Always can’t wait for the next chapter.

“I already told you, didn’t I?” chuckles Irene, raising her free palm, putting it at the soft cheek of her girlfriend. “I can’t ever escape from that kind of situation. I’m the responsible one in my family. Yes, I have my goons behind my back. But they also need protection coming from me.”

Wendy sighed, leaned in to make their foreheads touched. She closed her eyes once again, still trying to calm down her raging emotion that keeps clawing herself. Making her hurt. “It’s just—I can’t-“

I just can’t accept the truth. The fact tasted too bitter for my own liking.

Irene smiled a little. She grasped her hand harder, trying to pass her strength to her loved one. 

Wendy released her hand, circling both of her arms to the slender body in front of her. A smell of comforting lavender quickly fulfilling her, calming every sense on her body as she put her head in the crook of her neck. “Let me stay like this for a while.”

Soft vibrate can be felt at her chest as Irene released a low chuckle. The side of her head receiving a soft, long kiss. Trying to reassure her that everything will be okay. “You, Wendy Son, are something else. We have been girlfriends for months and here you are, still surprising me.”

Wendy smiled at Irene’s attempt to jokes, trying to lighten the mood. She reciprocates the jokes by tightening the hug. Pushed her head deeper to the crook of her warm neck. Planting soft kisses as a sign of gratitude.

Because, even though Irene is the one who makes her worry the most, who makes her always scared to death.

She’s also the one that will always calm her down. Always giving her this immense wave of strength, sweet promises that always come true, and a splash of hope.

That they will be okay.

We will be okay.

---

A wind of cold suddenly hit her bare, tattooed back, making her frowned in her sleep. She groaned, trying to find her usual comforting heat. Yet, she didn’t get warm that she seeks. She got another wave of cold instead.

Grumbling while turning around to her back, she opened her eyes, finding the other side of the bed empty. A frown blossoming at her face, turning again to look at the digital clock on the nightstand beside her.

It’s still 2 a.m., and her girlfriend is nowhere to be seen.

Yawned, she sat up. Took the wrinkled, white shirt that her girlfriend used earlier before the heated moment, that was now neglected on the cold floor. The result of throwing it carelessly.

She went out of the room after finished buttoning it all up. Her ears perked at the hushed, serious tone. It seems that her girlfriend is on an emergency call in the middle of the night.

Irene sighed. This is not the first time it’s happening. Dozens of nights already spent like this. She woke up in the middle of the night, finding the other side of the bed empty, going out from the room to find her girlfriend doing her work from her phone.

The perks of having a girlfriend being a doctor in a top hospital.

“Did you already do the scans? What does it say?”

She strutted closer, trying not to make any sound while approaching her. As she finally does, she wrapped her hands to her body. Her front feeling her back.

She didn’t receive any answer coming out from for her action. Instead, she put her hand on top of hers, saying her thanks in thoughtful action.

A deep sigh coming out. That’s the sign of the line that she already remembers by heart going to come out next.

“Alright. I will come. Wait for me there.”

“Do you really need to?” whined Irene, locking her in her arms while giving endless kisses at the nape of her neck.

“I need to. They need me. This is an important case.”

“Can’t wait ‘til morning?”

She turned around, craned her head at her warm palms. She kissed her forehead, her nose, then her pouty lips. Her another way to say “I’m sorry to leave you alone at midnight again.”

Irene sighed. No matter how much her heart throbbed, begging her to make her stay and coming back to sleep at their lovely bed, she can’t hold her back.

“Why are you even awake at this time? It’s still late.”

“You weren’t there beside me.”

Wendy flashes her apologetic smile, planting another kiss on her forehead. “Go back to sleep. You need to rest.”

Irene nodded, looking at her taking her stuff that she needed to bring it along to the hospital. “Call me.” When you've arrived. When you’re done. Everything. Just call me. “Be careful on your way. Take care.”

Wendy grinned this time, standing in front of the door. “I will. See you soon.”

As the sound of the door shut reached her ear, total silence took over immediately. The penthouse felt colder than usual. She wrapped her own body with her arms, trying to keep the last bits of heat as she walking back to the big, cold, empty bed that has awaited her.

She never said it out loud, but she hates it. Hate this gnawing empty feeling that keeps scraping her heart. Hate this cold that always hitting her tattooed skin.

Hate that she wasn’t there beside her for the rest of the night.

---

“Hello! I’m Kang Seulgi. Nice to meet you!”

Wendy blinked as she processed the person that was standing in front of her. How could a warm ball of fluffy sunshine, that have the most gorgeous eye smiles, the most blindingly smile, who was so huggable and you just want to protect with your whole life, is a tattoo artist?

“H-hello,” Wendy said as she regained her composure. “I’m Wendy Son. Nice to meet you too.”

She flashes her gorgeous eye smiles once again, making her looked like the most precious human being on Earth. And Wendy was being serious.

When Irene told her that Kang Seulgi is now her favorite tattoo artist, she expected that the woman was having a quite unique looking. Having tattoos here and there, piercings anywhere she could pierce.

But no. Seulgi is far from that. Her skin is clear. There is no evidence of tattoo, yet. She also didn’t have any piercings, even her ears are free. Wendy is trying so hard to wrap this fact around her head.

“You finally bring your girlfriend, unnie. Took you long enough,” Seulgi said as she leads them towards the tattoo room.

“Believe me. Took me immense strength to pull her here.”

“Irene-unnie said you hate people with tattoos,” Seulgi said, already changed her point of view to Wendy. “Why?”

Wendy just shrugged. Didn’t know the exact answer. She never thinks about it. All she knew that she hates people with tattoos. A lot.

Exception for her girlfriend, of course.

“So, the design.”

Seulgi grinned widely, blinding like it was a Sun. “You will love it, unnie. I promise.”

Wendy raised her eyebrow. “What design?”

“Design for my tattoo.”

“Oh.”

Irene quickly positioning herself at the seat for her to get her tattoo. Seulgi pulled Wendy along with her, held her wrist as firm as possible. They arrived at Seulgi’s desk. On top of it, there was a thick folder. Wendy believes it was full of tattoo design.

“Irene-unnie personally asked me to make the design,” Seulgi said as she flipping through the pages, trying to find the design. “She said, she fully trusted my instinct for this. And as you know, I give my all making this.”

“Don’t steal my girlfriend too long, Seulgi.”

“I won’t, unnie!”

Wendy blushed at that. My girlfriend. Mine. She was hers.

She coughed for a bit, trying to regain her composure. It seems like Seulgi has found the design as her face lit up so bright after flipping the page.

“I found it! Here you go.”

Wendy took it from her hand. Inspecting the design that was sketched at the paper. It was an initial, she noticed. A rather, familiar initial. One that she knows by heart.

“Are you tattooing my name? My initial?” asked Wendy incredulously.

Irene just hummed. Seulgi leaving them two alone for a while. Trying to collect and prepare the things that she needs while making a tattoo.

“Why?”

Irene opened her eyes, inviting Wendy to sit beside her, which she complies with. “Why shouldn’t I?”

“Isn’t that a little bit-“ Wendy gulped before continuing, “-too much?”

Irene smiled. “Nothing is too much when it comes to you.”

Butterflies started showing up inside her, making her flutters. Wendy coughed, trying not to look like she was affected by her words.

But Irene knows. Irene always knows.

“But what if, what if we broke up and-“

“You want us to break up?” cut Irene, raising her eyebrow.

“N-no! That’s not what I mean!” exclaimed Wendy, completely taken aback and flustered.

She took a deep breath, trying to make herself calm. And Irene waits, patiently, like she always did whenever Wendy suddenly doing this. She knew she needed time. And Irene was ready to give her all the time she needed.

“What if something happened?” Wendy squeaked out. And you no longer want to associate with me.

A hard flick hit her forehead, making her winced. She looked at Irene, who was flashing her famous deadpanned expression.

“Ow! What was that for?”

“Trying to make those thoughts go away from your brain.”

Wendy went into silence. Understanding what Irene just had said. Planting it inside her brain. Hoping to help her repel the negative thoughts that mainly concerning her and her girlfriend.

Irene sighed, took her hand with her own, lacing it. “When I’m doing something, I’m always sure about it. Always certain. And I never step back from it. Including this.”

Wendy looked at the hazel orbs that giving her waves of certain, calming, assuring. That all she needs to do is to trust her, to place credence at her.

“That’s why I’m asking you to come along with me. Because it’s not just important to me, it’s important for you too. For us.”

Wendy wants to say something when a loud sound of something being placed on top of a desk startled her. There was Seulgi, already comes back with equipment in the box.

“And we’re ready!” exclaimed Seulgi, once again flashing her eye smiles. Noticing the weird aura around her, her smile turned into an awkward one. “Did I interrupt something?”

They both shook her head in unison.

“Okay. Then let’s start! Where do you want to place it?”

“My fingers.”

Wendy winced. “Aren’t you hurt?”

Irene shrugged. “I used to feel something more hurt and painful than getting a tattoo.”

Flashes of her wounds that Wendy always tended to pass through her brain. Reminding her. She scowled. “Of course.”

Irene just grinned, giving her right palm to Seulgi. And the process started.

Maybe meeting Seulgi in person is already too much for Wendy. But of course, life always exceeds her expectations.

Watching Seulgi making tattoos, is another unbelievable experience for her.

How her hand moving so lightly, but sure like the stream of a river. How the of her lines always so sure, but it contains so much power. It feels strong.

Wendy was amazed. Seulgi is an artist. A true artist. Now she knows why Irene chose Seulgi as her favorite tattooist. This girl has immense talent. And the tattoo world is so lucky to have her.

She heard low, soft chuckles that almost got drowned by the sound of the buzzing machine. “Close your mouth, baby. In case there is a fly around.”

Wendy doesn’t even realize that was agape the whole time! Heat blazing her cheeks, feeling shy that Irene caught her red-handed.

“And done!” exclaimed Seulgi. “Take care of it for a week so there will be no infection in the tattoo.”

Irene nodded. “I know. Thanks, Seulgi.”

They bid their goodbyes after all the aftermath done. Irene promising a café outing for Seulgi alongside Wendy. And Seulgi nodded at that, excited with the idea.

They’re walking alongside the pavement. Hands linked with each other. Passing through every café and store along the road.

“Did she know?” asked Wendy suddenly.

“Know what?”

“That you are,” Wendy raised her eyebrow, trying to give Irene the signal. Which she received it perfectly.

“No, she doesn’t.”

“How did you know her, by the way?” asked Wendy again as they stopped, waiting for the red light to turn green.

“Junmyeon told me about her.”

Junmyeon, one of Irene’s trusted goons. Wendy knows about him because when she arrived at Irene’s mansion for the first time, Junmyeon is the one who greeted her. He seems pretty nice for her liking. He also had a bunch of tattoos across his body, Wendy believed. Because he has one on his neck, looking slightly similar like Irene’s.

“Enough about her. It feels like she is your girlfriend, not me.”

Wendy quirked her eyebrow at her exclamation. “Jealous much?”

Irene just puffed her cheeks out, started walking as the light turned green together with her.

“There is a new ice cream parlor just in the corner. Want to go there? My treat.”

“Your treat?”

Wendy laughed, leaned in to plant a kiss on her cheek. “My treat.”

“Then what are we waiting for? Let’s go.”

---

“How’s the condition?”

“Her heart rate is normal. Vital is normal,” Yerim announced, checking at the graph in front of her. “She’s fine.”

Wendy nodded, continuing her work while being careful not to touch any nerves that could bring out unnecessary events.

“How long it has been?”

“21 hours,” announced Jaehyun. “It’s the longest surgery.”

Wendy sighed. “Indeed, it is.”

She turned towards Yerim who was standing beside her, observing her work.

“Wants to do the honor of closing it up, Kim?”

Yerim blinked, went agape. “Are you sure, Dr. Son?”

“As sure as the daylight.”

“Thank you, Dr. Son.”

They exchanged places. Yerim started to maneuvering, working her wonders towards the patient. Yerim may be annoying, but she’s still Wendy’s best student. Her pride.

“I’m going to go outside. Trying to get fresh air,” Wendy said as she walked towards the door. “I could trust you in this, yes? Doing it alone?”

Yerim nodded. “Yes, Dr. Son. You can.”

Wendy just chuckled. Yerim’s determination always reminding her about herself. Her younger self. Trying to gain trust from the doctor that was assigned to have her as one of the residents. Maybe that is why she has her own soft spot towards Yerim.

As she finished taking off her surgery clothing, she finally stepped out of the surgery room. The blinding lights of the hall greeted her as she walked towards the nearest bench. Quickly throwing herself and sit there.

Like what Jaehyun just said, that is the longest surgery she has ever done. One of her most important surgery. Wendy feels this rush of pride for being the one responsible for this. The greatest surgery she has ever finished.

She let out a tired, deep sigh. Trying to take any energy that she could now.

“You looked like someone just beat you up for good.”

Wendy’s eyebrow twitched. “Do not start, Park Sooyoung. I’m tired.”

She feels a movement beside her, a sign that Sooyoung also seating beside her. “Mind to tell me how long the time did you spent inside that room?”

“21 hours,” sighed Wendy, opening her eyes to look at the person beside her. “The longest one yet.”

Sooyoung chuckled. “And you feel proud of that?”

“Of course,” answered Wendy immediately. “Who doesn’t?”

“Come on,” Sooyoung patted her thigh as she stood up. “Let’s go.”

“Can’t you let me rest just for a while, Sooyoung?” grumbled Wendy.

“As much as I want to, looking at your condition, no,” Sooyoung deadpanned. “Someone has been waiting for you in the canteen. You better meet her now.”

Wendy frowned. She doesn’t have an appointment with another patient. Her agenda is only this surgery. “Who?”

“Who else? Your former patient that turns out to be your girlfriend.”

Oh.

Wendy stood up while groaning. Didn’t actually want to leave the bench. “What is she doing here?” asked her as they walked towards the canteen.

Sooyoung shrugged. “Sent you food? She brought along her lunchbox.”

Wendy frowned again. “How long she has been in here?”

“Several hours?”

Wendy let out a sigh. “That woman.”

“You know,” started Sooyoung as they stopped right in front of the canteen. “I’m already told her that you won’t come out from the surgery room for long. But she insisted to stay and I can’t do anything except to just let her wait in here.”

Wendy looked around the cafeteria when she found a familiar figure. Clad in her black leather jacket, looking towards the outside world that was being presented by the window. Her long hair was tied in a ponytail, making the tattoo on her neck and nape showed to the whole world. There are round glasses located on the bridge of her nose. She looked so soft. All Wendy wants to do is to just wrap her with her arms, caging her with her hug. Feeling those lavender basking all her nerves.

“Go get her, Dr. Son,” said Sooyoung, pushing her back slightly. “She was waiting for you for too long, wasn’t she?”

Sooyoung left her, probably going back to her place. A small smile bloomed at Wendy’s face, approaching Irene who was still focused on the night scenery.

Irene’s ears perked up as she noticed the sound of someone’s step and decided to turn around. Her smile quickly blossoming when she realized who it is. She stood up. “You look wrecked,” greeted her.

Wendy chuckled. “Hello to you, too. Yeah, I know. Sooyoung already told me that.”

“Long surgery?”

Wendy nodded. “The longest one. Have you been long here?”

Irene shook her head. “Nope. I just arrived here 10 minutes ago.”

Liar.

Wendy just flashing her a tired smile and pulling her into a tight hug. Her head immediately found her favorite spot, the crook of Irene’s neck. Lavender filling her senses, making all the tense she felt in her muscles gone.

She felt her hand wrapped back. The movement is a bit awkward, timid. Didn’t sure of the reason why Wendy suddenly do this.

“Is something wrong?” whispered Irene right at her ear, giving a soft peck to the side of her head. Her hand her hair softly, trying to make her calm.

Wendy shook her head, tightening the hug. “Just want to stay like this for a while.”

Irene chuckled. “If that’s what you want. And please, not too long. Your food will be cold.”

Wendy kissed the crook softly, right at the line of the tattoo. Again, her favorite spot. As a sign of unspeakable thank you. Thank you, for coming here. Thank you, for waiting. Thank you, for being patient.

Unknown to them, there are two persons currently witnessing the act that was happening now.

“That is her girlfriend.”

“Yup. And it’s Dr. Son for you, Yerim.”

Yerim rolled her eyes, once again eyeing the couple that still enveloped in each other’s arms. Trying to seek comfort. Trying to charge each other. “I thought she hates people with tattoos.”

“She is,” Sooyoung confirmed.

“Then why?”

Sooyoung ruffled Yerim’s hair, making the latter annoyed with the act. “You’re still too young to understand this stuff don’t you, Resident Kim?”

Yerim just pouted, slapping away Sooyoung’s hand from her hair, trying to save it before it’s too late. Sooyoung just chuckled at her childish act as the memories a couple of hours ago flashing in her eyes.

“Dr. Son is having long surgery currently.”

Irene moved her vision to the person that was disturbing her. It was Sooyoung, Wendy’s colleague. “Yeah, I know about that.”

“It’s still long until she was finished.”

Irene flashed her smile. “It’s okay. I will still wait.”

Sooyoung didn’t talk for a while, before deciding to slide in the chair right in front of Irene. Accompanying her.

“I didn’t ask you to accompany me.”

“Neither am I.”

Irene frowned. “Then why?”

Sooyoung just shrugged and Irene decided to not pry too much, looking out to the window once again.

It wasn’t awkward. It was calming. Irene once again enjoyed the sky that was going darker and darker. Until Sooyoung decided to once again open .

“She did something to you, huh?”

Irene smiled. “She did.”

Sooyoung frowned. “I still don’t understand, why-“

“It’s different.”

Sooyoung blinked. “What is?”

Irene broke her view towards the window, looking at her instead. Seriousness is oozing out. “The way she looked at me. It’s different from other people.”

Sooyoung just went silent. Waiting until Irene was ready to open again, explaining to her.

“You know,” Irene sighed. “People used to look at me like I was some cold-blooded monster. And my tattoos didn’t make my condition better. It makes them surrender. Giving up right in front of my eyes.”

“I can recall.”

Irene chuckled at the response. “But she, she didn’t look at me like that at all. She looked at me like I was the most disgusting person in the whole world. And I know it doesn’t have anything to do with my family or something. It was because of my tattoos.”

Sooyoung chuckled. “And of course it attracts you.”

“I’m glad that it was.”

Sooyoung shook her head jokingly. “I still can’t believe I helped out my ex trying to get close with my colleague.”

Irene grinned. “Did you still have a soft spot for me?”

Sooyoung deadpanned. “Much more like I don’t want you to kill me for good.”

Irene pouted. “I will never do something as low as that.”

Sooyoung cracked a smile. “I know.”

“Did she know, though?”

“Know what?”

Irene pointing to her with her head. “That you were the former member of us.”

Sooyoung let out a scoff. “She can never know about this. And I didn’t have any plan to tell her in the near time. So, I’m expecting you to still keep the secret here.”

Irene raised her palm, like wanting to make an oath. “I promise.”

The sound of a pager suddenly . “I need to go. They need me,” sighed Sooyoung.

“Ah, of course. Thanks for accompanying me, Sooyoung. It feels like the good old time,” Irene said, sending her gratitude.

Sooyoung just smiled and quickly left her, before turning around and looked at Irene once again. “You were serious with her. I see her initials in your right fingers.”

Irene nodded. “Yes.”

“Hurt her. And I will make your life a living hell.”

Irene smiles, this time serious. “Believe me. That is the last thing I want to do to her.”

“Alright, then. Goodbye, Irene. See you soon.”

Sooyoung left her with a smile on her face. Assuring herself that helping her ex to get her colleague's heart is the right decision.

---

Wendy throws the last layer that covered Irene’s body, didn’t care where it will be landed. She attacks her favorite spot once again. , nibbling, trying to mark her personal territory once again.

Her voice that letting out the best music of all time, encourages Wendy to do more. She scraped her teeth to the skin softly, didn’t have any intention to harm her. Once she was done, she quickly soothes it with the calming, heated kiss.

And she always did that along the way from her neck towards the valley of her s. Worshipping her like she was the most powerful goddess ever exist. And Wendy is her faithful worshipper, ready to do everything for her goddess. Trying to make her satisfied.

She feels the soft, quick thumps of her heart at her skin. Giving her a tingling, satisfying sensation to her lips. She kissed it, again, and again, and again. Showering it with all the love that it deserves.

She opened her eyes, wanting to see the result of her intense work. But she wasn’t greeted with a bunch of red marks. It was a sentence. A new, fresh one. A tattoo.

Wendy frowned as she reads the sentence that was located right on top of her heart. It was a question.

A question, that makes the heartbeat that was already quick inside her, thrumming her ribs, beat faster.

Will you be the sole owner of what under this sentence?

“W-what?” asked Wendy, still trying to catch her breath. The frown is already there on her forehead, trying to decipher the sentence on that skin.

“Finally you noticed it.”

Wendy raised her head when she looked at Irene. And it all hit her.

She was looking at her with an indescribable expression. It was glazed with so many emotions. Hope, love, eternity. She looked slightly and she spotted it. The shiny thing that people always put on their fingers. The symbol that they were officially tied with someone. For a lifetime.

A ring. An engagement ring.

“I know it was too sudden, but I can’t wait much longer,” Irene said, voicing out her thought. She held Wendy’s face carefully, trying to make sure that she was looking at her in the eyes. Trying to pass her resolved decision.

“Will you spend the rest of your life with me? Waking up beside me every day? Growing old until all of our hair turned white together? Until we’re not even strong enough to leave this bed of ours?”

“Wendy Son, will you become the sole owner of my heart, the perfect half-piece of my soul? Will you marry me?”

Wendy crashed their lips together. A smile bloomed on her lips as she felt Irene smiled too in their kisses. Their teeth crashing. It was the sloppiest kiss they ever experience. That they ever did.

But it was the sweetest.

“I take that as a yes?” asked Irene. Her voice is full of hope. And a bit of mischief too.

“I’m going to start questioning yourself if you take that as a no.”

Irene laughed as she took Wendy’s right palm, slipping the ring into her ring finger.

The room is dark. Only the shy ray from the moon as the only source of the light.

But the diamond on her ring shines so brightly. Brighter than any stars.

Irene kissed the ring that was already placed at her ring finger softly. Full of love. Full of affection. “It fits perfectly.”

“It does,” Wendy grinned, leaning in once again to kiss her in the forehead, the bridge of her nose, and her lips. “I can’t believe that you will have that tattoo for the rest of your life.”

“Who said the tattoo was permanent?”

Wendy blinked. “It wasn’t?”

“No, baby,” Irene chuckled, stealing the kiss on her slightly agape lips. “It’s temporary.”

They kissed once again. This time longer. All the affection and love quickly turns into lust and hunger, as their primal side starting to take over.

“I still can’t believe you just proposed to me while we’re making love,” Wendy said as she took a breather, before kissing the sharp jaw of her girlfriend.

“I need a way to make it as the most memorable way for you,” Irene explained between her strangled moans. “And I thought, why didn’t use tattoo? Since you hate it so much.”

Wendy raised her head once again, looking hungrily at the lips down her. “No, if it was yours.”

The night felt different that night. Yes, they were making love. But not as girlfriends now. As fiancées.

Two weeks later, when they were making love (again), Wendy noticed that the tattoo on her fiancée has changed. And it was permanent this time. Not temporary. And it’s also making the widest smile that Wendy has ever made, blossoming on her face for the first time.

Under this tattoo of mine,

There is you.