A different kind of morning

Sugar Cake

This fic totally inspired from this song. Please take a listen to it while reading this chapter. And I hope you enjoying it :-)

---

 

It feels like her typical morning. The warm morning sunlight piercing through the gaps of the thick curtain, fell perfectly on top of the bed like a personally carved route for an angel to land. Glimmers of golden brown glistening across her smooth and scarless skin, the result of wonderfully being sunkissed.

 

It was the usual morning for her. Well, almost. Until the universe decided to remind her about the bed that usually occupied by two, felt a lot bigger now since it was just occupied by one. Her hand draped to the other side of the bed, feeling prickling cold against her skin. The same cold as her eyes fell its gaze to the sight of the empty sheet.

 

There used to be a feeling of a slightly dipped mattress because someone was laying perfectly on top of it. Curled underneath with nothing to cover her body except a duvet that smells similarly like her. Now it was just a flimsy bed sheet covered with an ironically cold thick blanket with nothing inside.

 

No one beside her that she used to lay her hands on to pull her into a cuddle. Smiling against the skin of her nape as she squirmed to get closer to her warm body. Small waist perfectly fit inside the hold of her arms, throwing leg over hers to just lock her on top of the bed and never letting her leave the bed.

 

Mumbling of good morning will grace the ambience inside the slightly big bedroom, before falling back to sleep for being too comfortable to permanently open their eyes and face the world. Some small kisses fleetingly given on her nape, before purposefully tracing the faint line of her jaw to kiss her softly on her lips. A good way for her to wake up, sometimes getting caught in the blissful moment of kissing and spend much longer time than they intended on top of the bed after they woke up.

 

The way that she will no longer get now.

 

A hiss slipped out from her lips as she pulled herself up into a sitting position, feet landed on top of the cold fur carpet. Trying to calm the drowsiness inside her system before standing up and sauntering towards her bathroom with half-lidded eyes.

 

Even toothbrushing moments used to be romantic. Sometimes, sleep will still infect all of her senses, resulting in her doing a toothbrush while being half asleep. Before a small peck on her cheek erasing all the sleepiness in one injection, widening her half lidded eyes instantly like a deer got caught under the light.

 

Sometimes it’s sweeter. Giggling like teenagers being in love when they already reached the adult age, kissing each other when the foam from toothpaste still exists inside their mouth. Legs thrown over her waist to pull her closer while she comfortably seated on the cold ceramic beside the sink. Tasting interesting mint that they share with one another.

 

Now, her toothpaste just tasted like a dull mint inside .

 

With cupping palm under the running faucet, she brings up the refreshing water to splash her face. Trying to erase the sleep system out from her body with the help of something that wasn’t alive. Of something that will not make her heart flutters and make her skin long for comfortable warm touch.

 

Stepping out from the bedroom with a surprisingly usual step, feeling the cold tiles underneath the feet. Prickling it gently like an old friend finally meeting her again after all this time, she strides easily towards the kitchen.. The kitchen that holds sweet memories of how she used to spend her morning.

 

Used to find someone already standing in front of the counter, preparing her usual morning coffee that tasted not as bitter as how coffee usually is, even though she didn’t pour any sugar to the black liquid. Maybe it’s because of love that she started to taste something sweet inside her coffee, something that was worth for her to experiment as she prepares her own mug of coffee.

 

It’s a total lie if she said she didn’t realize the weird feeling of not having someone standing closely beside her as she prepared her breakfast. A simple toast, but wonderful experience in the making. Sometimes a shy nudge on the side of her body, laughing as they spill something on top of the counter, being competitive because no one wants to lose and clean the dirty counter after all the mess they caused.

 

Fingers gripping the handle of the mug perfectly as she brought it up to make her lips touch the slightly warm rim of the cup. Blowing soft breaths to cool down the heat before tasting her black coffee that is usually made by someone.

 

It’s still the same. Less sweet and lacking something that she can’t pinpoint, but still acceptable.

 

As hands occupied with a plate of toast and a mug of coffee, legs brought her to the dining table as another memento playing inside her head.

 

Soft laughter usually filled the emptiness of the dining table. Little talks about the update of their daily life and constant stress from the pressure they got at the workplace. Talking about planning how to spend their weekend, a new movie that just came out in the cinema, park finally got re-opened because the restoration is done.

 

Now she just ate her breakfast in silence. Only the sound of munching tasteless toast and an occasional sip of her coffee filled the silence in her apartment.

 

Her eyes can’t help to land on the wall where tons of polaroid got clipped and are being displayed as a cute decoration alongside a string of little lamps and bits of memories from their travelling to the other city. Some polaroid is already gone, taken by someone that used to graze this place with her beautiful presence. Only several pieces left, photos that she personally loved.

 

Their first photo as a couple when they decided to visit a photobox in a night market for their third date. A photo of her smiling wide, ignoring the hurting cheek as they choose to spend their weekend to play at an amusement park. And a photo of her, cheeks squished with two warm palms as her doe eyes focused on the lenses in front of her.

 

Her mind can’t help to rewind that moment. Her heart slightly dulled from recalling the memories, but didn’t affect her like how it should be. The moment that defines their current condition, her current condition.

 

“We can’t do this anymore, Seungwan.”

 

“Give me a chance, Joohyun. At least let me try for one more time.”

 

“Try for what?” asked Joohyun with honest confusion inside her voice. Eyes begging Seungwan for an answer, an honest answer that she doesn’t want to acknowledge. Letting out a deep sigh as the slightly smaller woman didn’t let out any words spilled from . “It’s been good, Seungwan. It’s been good while it’s lasted. Stop trying for something that wasn’t meant to be since the start.”

 

“Joohyun, please. Can we just talk this out?” begged Seungwan, hand desperately holding the arm that has no will to stay, yet no will to pull away. “I still love you. I know since the last few days things have been tough for us but I still want this. I still want us.”

 

“Things have been tough for us, or things have been tough for you?” accused Joohyun with a sharp tone. “Ever since she came back, the only thing you talk about is her, her, and her! I’m sick, Seungwan! I’m sick of always getting compared with her by you. ‘Why don’t you do this like how she does this? Oh? Maybe you can ask her and learn something from her! She just bought this. I think it will look good for you, too.’”

 

Her jaw got slacked after the rants Joohyun just let out to her. Telling her all the things that she has kept inside all this time, and Seungwan knew nothing about it. Nothing, and she still doesn’t even realize her fatal mistake and keeps continuing like it was the right thing to do.

 

“I’m tired, Seungwan. Tired, because you always try to make me the same as her. Tired, because you keep treating me like I was her. Tired, because I know you love me, but it’s always her after all this time in your life. Never me.” Joohyun took a deep breath, closing her eyes before readying herself to drop the final bomb that shocked Seungwan to the core.

 

“Tired, because you want her, yet you hurt me in the process because you weren’t being honest with yourself. Because you are selfish and want both of us to stay but you clearly know only one person can stay by your side.”

 

Seungwan let her arm release itself out from her weak grasp. Still trying to recover from the hard slap that Joohyun just gave her in the form of confession and the truth. The truth that she knows it’s always there, but too much of a coward to even acknowledge it.

 

Her heart ache, but not in the form of breaking. Her head spinning, but not in the form of sadness and regret. She’s confused, beyond confused over herself and questioning over how her heart daringly longs and aching for a presence of someone else in this thread stepping moment.

 

A soft pat on her cheek pulling her out from her thoughts. Doe eyes that she grew to love, still filled with warmth that makes her comfortable, but feels different than the usual that greeted her eyesight as she focused her gaze into her dark brown orbs. Feeling her thumb wiping the fallen tears that she doesn’t know it has formed at the corner of her eye on top of her cheekbone softly. Head automatically leaning to her hold, relishing the warmth that emanates from her palm.

 

Knowing that it will be the last time for her to enjoy this.

 

“Thanks for loving me, Seungwan. And thanks for letting me love you back,” whispered Joohyun gently. Soft breaths hitting her slightly whimpered lips, trying to hold back her sobs from coming out and being seen by the whole world, when it’s just the two of them inside their–no, her apartment.

 

Her other palm touched the spot where her heart is. Hand quickly grabbed her small one, wanting to hold it for the last time before she got no rights to even grasp her hand like usual. Clenching it tightly, a silent desperate message for her to stay, to always be by her side. Because she was afraid to be alone and didn't know how to handle her complicated life without someone by her side to hold her when she fell and tripped from her own clumsy step.

 

But Joohyun knows better than her. And she knows no matter how, she always got defeated under her mercy.

 

“But it’s time for you to be honest to yourself. To be honest to your heart. She’s still there inside you, Seungwan. Maybe I’m worthy to stay inside your life for eternity, but you know who's best for that position, and that’s not me.”

 

Joohyun leaned forward, softly kissing the corner of her lips as she finally let out her heart wrenching sobs. Breaking her wall of defence like she wasn’t building it for years now. Crumbling like a strong stone turned into gravel of sand.

 

“Thank you for everything, Seungwan. It’s time for you to get her back into your life.”

 

A soft buzz coming from her phone took her attention away from the beautiful morning sight of the city from the window of her apartment. A new message just came in. Got interested in wanting to know who sent her a message in the morning, she decided to open the notification.

 

Doesn’t prepare for her heart to skip a beat and feel her cheek warmed by a mere sentence of simple question.

 

Seulgi:

Seungwan?

I just got the news. Are you okay?

 

The woman that still stays inside her heart after all this time. Not even Joohyun could usher her away from her special spot inside.

 

Seungwan:

It’s been weird but I’m fine

How do you know?

 

Seulgi:

People talks

I mean

Sooyoung and Yerim told me

I’m sorry for what happened

 

Seungwan:

It’s okay

Things like this are bound to happen I guess

but what can I do beside letting it happen?

 

Seulgi:

God, you turn into your wise version

I don’t like this

Want to talk it out?

I’m free today

Maybe we can crash on this new café I just found on my way to work?

:D

It’s up to you, though

If you want to be alone, I’m alright with it

 

Seungwan contemplated for a while. Joohyun’s words keep replaying inside her mind, making her think about this innocent invite into something that is serious and could determine what will happen with her life from now on.

 

Isn’t it too fast? She just broke up with her long-term girlfriend. To even consider this option feels like Joohyun does nothing inside her life when she has changed tons in the process of their finished journey.

 

Then her mind decided to show her bright smile with an adorable curve on her eyes. Wonderful laughter that secretly became her favorite voice and never changed after all this time. Warm presence that she missed inwardly, that could take her to another level of happiness if the warmth grazed its presence on her. Hugging her like she was welcoming her back home.

 

Maybe Joohyun was right. No, Joohyun is always right. It took a good slap for Seungwan to realize, but if it wasn’t for Joohyun, maybe she couldn’t reach this spot.

 

It was a different kind of morning. She should have been sad. She should have been blue. She could have been crying all day in a typical way. Basking in the feeling of an empty spot inside her heart, breaking it since no one will ever occupy the same spot again. Relishing in the memories that they made after years, played like a box office movie inside her mind with couple photos to ignite the memento.

 

But no. She’s alright.

 

Seungwan:

Sure!

I would love to!

See you later 😊

 

---

Alright before you all came to me, I refuse to accept this as an angst kfjkdfksfkjk

So, tell me what do you think about this chapter! I'm suggesting you to listen to the whole album because all the songs there is just pure gem and goodness, especially this one which inspired this one-shot, because it's (obviously) my favorite.

Anyway! if some of you are interested in wenseul *time for shameless self promotion* i did several fics about them! kindly crash to them if you want to read and experience them sksksksk 

Well, I guess that's it. Time for me to dip again and resurrect next month or something let's just see. See you in the next chapter :)