Together, crossing through lifetimes

Sugar Cake

god this piece has been kept inside the dungeon for quite long and she's finally see the lights omg im crying. well, enjoy this piece seekers.

---

Thudding sounds of covered feet shuffling through the empty dark hall, trying to be discreet so the guards couldn’t catch them. Soft lighting from the fire in the walls illuminate them. Creating the shadows of two people who are currently busy in private matters.

“I hate this hall,” said the raven before the lips locked once again in a fierce battle.

“This is a castle,” said the brunette one, trying to catch breaths before locking their lips again.

“You are the princess. Do something about it.”

The princess, the brunette one, letting out a breathy chuckle. “It took years for them to build this castle. I can’t just tell them to change it whenever I like. And it’s the prince, mind you.”

The raven bit her lips and tugged it harshly, fishing out a deep groan from . She swears she caught her moan that was caused by her groan earlier. “Why are you so obsessed with being the prince?”

“I’m more fitted to be the prince rather than the princess, am I? I think you know it better than me, my love.”

The raven fought the urges to roll their eyes, before letting out a breathy moan that was caused by the prince’s slightly calloused hands rubbing her sides. Igniting something that has been locked up inside quite long.

“You don’t know how much I have missed you,” muttered out the prince while kissing the raven’s white and soft skin when they have finally entered her private room. it, eager to make the reddish blemish on that creamy neck.

“Tell me,” said the raven, pulling the prince’s head from her neck. Engaging them in a tight lip-locking fight once again. “Tell me how much you missed me.”

The prince’s warm brown eyes locked against her. While her hands were kept busy by trying to untied her traditional dress. Trying to make the both of them feel each other skin to skin. “Every day I think about you.”

“You do?” asked her, biting her lips when she felt her fingers brushing against her bare shoulder, trying to uncover herself from the dress she was currently wearing.

“Mhm,” murmurs the prince, muffled against the bare shoulder. “When I sleep. When I’m discussing strategies with the Generals. When I’m going to the battlefield. You are the only thing in my mind.”

The raven’s shivers hearing that low deep voice that she grew to love. That she adores. “Starting to regret your decision going to the war?”

Deep chuckle met her ear as a soft blow of hot breath followed, igniting a groan from . “I need to serve my people, sweetheart.”

“I am one of those people.”

“I know.”

“Am I not that important?”

The prince stopped her attack. Her orbs swimming inside those hazel ones that she grew drowning to. Drowning inside these indescribable dark places that only gave her colours which were indecipherable even by her smartest vice regent. “Because you are so important, I have decided to come to the battlefield myself just to make sure you are safe and sound.”

“I am safe and sound,” said the raven, putting the brunette’s locks behind her ear, cupping her face warmly. “As long as I’m with you, I will always feel safe.”

The prince linked their fingers together, softly pulling it up towards her lips. Kissing every finger with overflowing feelings. The affection that she could never hold back. “I love you, Joohyun. Always.”

“I love you too, Seungwan. Forever.”

Their lips connected once again. Locking their promises to always be together forever, whatever happens. And Seungwan willing to let Joohyun know that by showing her with every action that she made across her skin. The skin that makes her mind going wild whenever she remembers it.

The deep contours of the collarbone that she grew to love with. Stamping the red marks to show everyone that she was hers from the beginning. Telling everyone to never mess with the love of her life. So much for them not getting the wrath of the crown prince.

The valley of her s that was always begging her attention. Pinching the sensitive peak against her rough fingers that was caused from years of swordsmanship training. Kissing the other softly, bringing it out to attention before softly tugging it between her teeth. Strong enough to make her let out her guttural moans, but soft enough to not make her not to feel tortured.

The soft mound of her belly. Tattooing it with fleeting kisses. Marking it with her invisible name across her skin. Feeling it clench from every kiss. Her fingers grabbing her side, trying to not make her move so much while she was worshipping her to the fullest. She was her goddess, and she will do everything to make her worshipped.

The sweetness of the nectar that she grew to love as time goes by. That she remembers by heart but at the same time she can’t grasp the taste unless she is tasting it herself. Feeling it quiver against every movement of her muscle. Teasing the sensitive bud with the movement that always makes her let out the melodious scream.

Moving her fingers against those velvety walls that always hers magnificently. Scraping it against her blunt nails, hooking it at the right places. Right places that were so deep she can never believe herself she always found it so easily.

Her fingers holding her head, trying to keep her always in the core. “Seungwan, I’m close,” hushed her with a rugged breath, barely managing to say the full sentence.

Seungwan hummed, feeling the hold on her hair tightens as she quickens her pace. it obediently, helping her to reach the best peak point of her life. As her ears catch the loudest raw moan she ever let out, gushes of sweet juices immediately hitting her lips. Lapping it quickly like she was trying to unclench her thirst, helping the Goddess riding out her best .

Soft palm cupping her jaw, trying to move her up when their lips locked once again. Seungwan’s inside got jumbled as she knew that Joohyun was currently tasting herself from the residue that was still there sticking to .

“That was something else,” breathed out Seungwan. Her brunette hair dropped like a curtain beside Joohyun’s face. Protecting her from the outer world.

“I taste better when I’m tasting it from you,” said Joohyun with a hushed tone, still feeling the blissful that Seungwan just gave to her.

Seungwan raised her eyebrow as Joohyun let out her breathy laugh. “I think you were wilder from the last time we made love.”

“You have gone too long.”

Seungwan kissed her forehead, both of her closed eyes, the bridge of her nose, before settling it last at her sweet, soft lips. She can still taste Joohyun in that kiss, making her inside stirred with a newfound need. “I’m back now.”

Seungwan settled on her side, hugging both of their bodies closely. Doesn’t want to let go. They miss each other too much to let the link be severed again. One of Joohyun’s hands moved against the contour of the strong bicep that hugged her delicate waist in their own unique, protecting way. She lets her finger trail against the hint of the line that was made by the trained muscle.

Feeling the strong pulse that beats softly as the pad of her finger it like they were an empty white canvas, waiting to be poured by her creativity with the help of black ink. In this term, her overwhelming affection and love. Once her finger arrived at the rough part of the palm, Joohyun laced her own with hers. Tightly locking it like it was the strongest chain protecting the fence.

“I miss you,” whispered Joohyun, kissing her bare collarbone while her fingers scraping her toned abs softly. “I miss you so much to the point I can’t believe I have lasted this long.”

“I’m sorry. The battle lasted longer than I predicted,” sighed Seungwan, filled with murkiness. “Things just got quite serious.”

Joohyun’s fingers stopped right on top of her new scar, right at her abdomen. It was still raw, Seungwan still can feel the hurt it was caused even though it was already healed. “You got a new scar.”

Seungwan didn’t say anything. Only planting kisses on top of her head.

Joohyun sighed. “Can you not go to the next battle?”

“You know I can’t even though I want it so much.”

Joohyun put her head deeper inside the crook of her neck. “I don’t think I’m able to continue this. It’s already atrocious to think that you were out there at the battle. Seeing this scar is just—I’m scared, Seungwan. What if something happens to you? What if you never come back to me-“

Seungwan cut her off with a hard kiss. Trying to reassure her that she will be fine. They will be fine. “I will always come back to you. I promised you that, didn’t I?”

“But that is a big promise, Seungwan. You can’t always fight the fate that was already written.”

“Do you believe in lifetime, Joohyun?” asked Seungwan suddenly while her raven hair softly.

“Lifetime?” Joohyun asked.

“I believe in lifetime,” said Seungwan, locking her eyes with Joohyun. “And I promise, at every lifetime that we exist, we will always be together. I will always find you, and you will always find me. We will never be separated as long as we live in those lifetimes.”

“Are you sure?”

Seungwan flashed her smile. The smile that always makes Joohyun feel warm and safe. “I have never been this sure.”

“Then I’m going to hold onto your promise.”

“Then I will make sure I held this promise tightly.”

Days go by as Seungwan and the kingdom’s greatest troops already leave their nation for another battle. And Joohyun never felt this worse before.

She was always worried whenever she knew that Seungwan was out there, risking her life just to protect their lovely kingdom. But this one is different. And it’s eating her out. When finally, her worst nightmare that she could ever experience arrived when one of the vice regents inside the kingdom told her the horrible news.

That Seungwan was killed in the battlefield, trying to bring her kingdom to victory when the sharpest sword of the enemies pierced through her armoured body. Killing her instantly in a way she can never say her goodbye to the person who owned half of her soul for eternity.

Joohyun’s life crumbled down, breaking into dust. Can never go back to where it used to build. Can never go back to their perfect form. Gone all of her wishes. All of her hopes that she would feel Seungwan around her arms again. Holding her like there is no tomorrow. Kissing her like the world is going to end and they couldn’t meet each other again. And Joohyun’s world does end that day.

But the universe is unique. So unique that it caught the both of them off guard. The longing prayers that were sent that night, the baseless promise that they gave to each other, answered by the universe. Making them always meet each other at every lifetime. Keeping the promise.

---

“They what?!” screamed the Grand Admiral so loud, making Irene winced from his booming sound. Bouncing off against the walls of the big main office of the Admiral of the Fleet of the British Navy.

The Captain who sent the news winced inwardly. “Yes, Sir. We just received the news earlier. Our main fleet in the Atlantic Ocean just got completely wiped out by the Blue Skull Pirates.”

The Grand Admiral wiped his face harshly. “Completely wiped out, you say?”

“Yes, Si-“

“That is our second’s best fleet in the Navy, Captain!” screamed The Grand Admiral, furious by the news. “How come they got completely wiped out?!”

“We don’t know about that, Sir,” stuttered the poor Captain. “I don’t think they were prepared by the attack from the Blue Skull Pirates.”

“Of course they weren’t prepared!” shouted the Grand Admiral. His face was red from anger. “The Blue Skull Pirates is famous for their sneaky attacks! They should have been prepared!”

The Grand Admiral took a deep breath before throwing a disappointed glance to Irene. “I’m so sorry you need to see this. I didn’t mean-“

“It’s okay,” assured Irene. “You didn’t expect this at all.”

“Of course I didn’t expect this at all,” spat the Grand Admiral angrily. “They were the second’s best fleet! And they can’t even do their job right! I can’t believe I need to go to the sea.”

Irene blinked. “You are going to the sea?”

“Yes. I need to take care of this myself,” replied the Grand Admiral shortly. “Captain, tell the Admiral to prepare their fleet right now. We are going to the Atlantic tonight.”

No, this is bad. Really bad.

“Are you sure?” asked Irene hastily. She’s trying to not look too nervous. “We were just meeting each other again, and you were going to leave me now? To the Atlantic?”

The Grand Admiral sighed. “I know, and I’m sorry. But I need to go. We are going to exterminate them for sure now and that’s why I’m going with my best fleet.”

Irene tries so hard to not show her shudder from hearing those words. “What about me? What about-“

“Hey, I will always protect you even though I’m not here,” reassured the Grand Admiral. “I will give you and your family my best guards to protect all of you while I’m gone. It will be alright.”

That’s what I’m scared of.

“I really can’t keep you in here, huh?” asked Irene dejectedly.

The Grand Admiral flashed her a small smile. “I will be fine. I will come back here with our greatest victory. I promise.”

Irene gulped inwardly before giving him a small smile that she hopes looked like an assurance. The Grand Admiral gave her a soft peck on her lips before leaving his room, going to the Meeting Room to talk about strategies.

Irene left the suffocating room hastily, wanting to go back to the safe haven of her house as fast as her feet allowed to. Aware by the guards who followed her throughout her way towards the house. The retired, former Grand Admiral house who was now the Governor of the region.

“Father!” exclaimed Irene the moment she arrived at her house-her father’s house to be exact-and going straight to his working room. “You need to stop him from going to the Atlantic!”

“Him?” asked her father with a frown in his slightly wrinkled face. “Who?”

“The Grand Admiral,” sighed Irene hastily. “They are going to attack the Blue Skull Pirates in the ocean.”

“Well then, that is good news,” answered her father, inhaling the smoke from his pipe. “They are going to put an end to all of this madness that was caused by those pirates!”

Irene sighed. She was desperate at this point. “But there must be a better way rather than asking them for a war in the middle of the sea, Father.”

“It is his job, Irene,” said her father with finality in his tone. “Now I will not hear any nonsense coming out from your mouth again. Go to your room.”

“I am an adult now, Father,” repudiate Irene, standing tall on her feet. “You can’t tell me to do things anymore. I’m a free being now.”

“And I am your Father!” yelled her father. “Now go to your room before I do worse things, Daughter.”

Shocked washed over Irene’s face as she looked at her father in disbelief. Her body shook so greatly she was barely able to hold her stance.

Her father's eyes glinted with something she grew familiar with. Guilt, and penitence. Before it quickly goes back to his steeled expression. And Irene was done with all of this.

“I hate you,” mumbled Irene slowly, tears filled her eyes. “You are the worst father ever.”

Irene blinked as her tears dropped, running upstairs towards her room. She kneeled beside her bed as her legs gave up, incapable of even letting her climb on top of it. The thick blanket muffled her voice of sorrow as streams of tears pouring down onto her delicate cheeks. Letting her embraced the feel of pain and sadness with nothing filled in her mind except her name.

The name that she held so dearly. The name that always makes her heart clenched so painfully in a beautiful way. The name that always filled her mind with wonders, galaxies full of a thousand stars. The name that always makes her day colourful in a way she never imagined.

The name that makes the blossoms inside throbbing against her heart like a painful needle, making her bleed endless whenever she knows she can never protect her.

Her, that makes her fall in love like never before.

A sound of small stone hitting her window breaking her trance. Irene sniffled, wiping her tears as she made her way towards the window. “Who is-“

“Hey, beautiful- Oh my God, why are you crying?”

Irene was stuck in her place as she looked at the person in front of her with wide eyes. That gorgeous smile, with a tint of a cute dimple. That warm brown eyes that always calms her in a way she can never decipher how. The blonde, shoulder length hair that was shining from the moonlight.

No, it can’t be. Irene was asleep because of the excessive crying and she started dreaming nonsense. There is no way the Captain of the Blue Skull Pirates is right here, in London. At the window in her room.

She was supposed to be in the middle of the Atlantic for God’s sake, not in front of her.

“Did that crazy Grand Admiral do something to you?” asked the blonde worried. She felt her soft but strong fingers cupping her face. The thumb grazing her cheek softly, wiping the tears away.

“Wendy,” gasped Irene, still in disbelief. “What are you doing here? When- Who- How?”

“Hey, hey, hey,” said Wendy as she stepped inside Irene’s bedroom, grasping her shoulders softly. “Now I need you to calm yourself down first. Take a breath.”

Irene did as she was told. She felt her tense nerves start to calm down. All the storm inside her mind went away as she took every breath and let it out slowly.

“That’s my beautiful woman,” praised Wendy with the smile that always makes Irene crazy.

Irene put her hand on top of Wendy’s lips, covering . Trying to not let the guards know that the most wanted woman was currently here, inside her goddamn room. “I thought you were in the middle of nowhere in the Atlantic!” hushed Irene cautiously.

“I was in the middle of nowhere in Atlantic this morning,” answered Wendy as she grabbed Irene’s hand on top of her lips, kissing it briefly before lacing their fingers together. “But I just arrived in your lovely London tonight.”

“Why?”

Wendy chuckled before circling her hand on her waist, pulling her closer to plant a deep, sweet kiss that Irene missed so much. “To meet you, sweetheart.”

Irene pulled her into a searing kiss once again as she touched the face that’s always filled her mind every day. Remembering every contour of it like she wasn’t already. “Bloody hell, I missed you.”

“Glad we share the same feelings,” said Wendy, pecking her again. “Now why are you crying earlier, my love?”

“The Navy is going to end all of this, Wendy,” explained Irene with worry. “The Grand Admiral is mad because you just wiped his entire fleet!”

Wendy cracked a proud grin. “That was a great battle. Damn, I wish you were there when that happens.”

“Wendy, the Navy is going to exterminate you for real! The Grand Admiral will chase you by himself and his best fleet starting tonight!”

“Then I can’t wait for that!” exclaimed Wendy in a hushed tone. “It’s going to be fun!”

“It’s not going to be fun! Bloody hell, Wendy, I can’t lose you too after my mother!”

Wendy blinked, before giving Irene her warmest smile. Reassuring her. “Because I won’t. You see, I think tonight is the perfect night.”

Irene frowned, trying to read the look inside her eyes. “What do you mean?”

“Captain!” exclaimed someone in a hushed tone hastily from the ground. “Come down quick! We can’t wait any longer!”

“Wait up for a while, Katy! Damn,” cursed Wendy under her breath. “Look, I have been meaning to ask you this since the first time I met you. But tonight, is the perfect time to do it.”

Wendy grasped her hands tightly, deepening the frown in Irene’s face. She still doesn’t understand all of this. “Wendy-“

“Go with me,” Wendy said, beating her. “Sail the world together with me. Let’s run away from all of this that has been suffocating us. Let’s be free, Irene. Let’s be together for real, this time.”

“Wendy,” sighed Irene. “You know it’s not that easy. I can’t just leave London like that.”

“Yes we can, my love,” reasoned Wendy. “There is nothing that we can gain from this city. You know that too. We can go anywhere if we are together. Heck, we can conquer everything if we are together. You and I? We will become unbeatable. I have enough treasure for us to spend until we are old and unable to roll out from the bed. Let’s stay at the edge of the world, undetected from everything.”

“Wendy,” Irene gulped. “That’s too much.”

“No, it’s not. I’m begging you, Irene,” plead Wendy. “Let’s go away. We are already suffocated enough to be able to survive this long. It’s time that we freed ourselves.”

Irene stayed silent, making Wendy a nervous wreck in the balcony. “We can go anywhere?”

That blinding smile is back. “Anywhere you want.”

“Even the edge of the world?”

“Even the edge of the world,” said Wendy with finality. “It’s you and me–and the crew actually–together against the world.”

Irene sighed before shrugging her shoulders. “Well, I guess that offer is too tempting for me to refuse it.”

The smile grew wider. “This is why I love you.”

Irene rolled her eyes playfully. “That is so cheesy. And yeah, I love you too.”

She grabbed her strong hands, letting her get pulled to the endless abyss filled with happiness and wonders. And the adventure that she grew longing for all this time. This is what she has dreamed for a long time. And it’s going to come true.

“Took you quite a long time,” spat Katy with an annoyed tone.

Wendy chuckled. “Assuring the princess to come with us took a pretty long time, ya know?”

Katy rolled her eyes. “You better run fast, ma’am. The guard is going to come here in 5 minutes. We need to be stealthy.”

Irene nodded. Nervous started to build up inside her. Cold sweat showing up at her foreheads. Worst thoughts started fulfilling her thoughts. What if they got caught? What’s going to happen after? What’s going to happen for them?

A tightening hold in her hand breaking her nightmare trance. She looked at those brown orbs that were sending her reassurance. They are going to be okay. And Wendy already gave her a promise if they didn’t make it.

“It’s easy. We are just going to meet each other once again in the next lifetime. And when that time comes, let’s make sure that we are successful this time.”

Irene tightening her hold too. Signalling her that she was ready to run away. Wendy flashed her a small smile before pulling her to follow Katy who was walking first in front of them.

They were running stealthily under the moonlight, trying not to get caught by the guard. They kept running until Irene saw a familiar hidden dock. The place that she and Wendy used to say goodbye to each other, because Wendy needs to go back to the glorious main ship of the Blue Skull Pirates, Moonlight Melody.

“Quick, Captain!” exclaimed Katy in a hushed voice. “I heard footsteps!”

Irene frowned. She didn’t hear any footsteps beside theirs. How come Katy can hear that distinct sound?

“That’s her talent,” whispered Wendy right beside her ear while helping her get inside the small boat that was docked right there. The small boat that will bring them to Moonlight Melody. “All her senses are on high alert. She can sense everything, even the worst fate.”

“Well what about now?” asked Irene, panicking.

Wendy chuckled, settling herself inside the boat. “Well, it will not be fun if I spilled about it now, right?”

Curse Wendy and her hobby to tease Irene in such a wrong time.

With Wendy and Katy working together to row the boat, they quickly arrived at the side of Moonlight Melody. “Throw ‘em stairs down, boys!” screamed Wendy towards the top of the ship.

“Aye, Captain!”

A rope stair quickly thrown from above, moving following the breeze of the night wind. Wendy catches it with ease, trying to make it stop moving so it looks sturdy enough. “You go up first,” said Wendy to her. “I will follow right behind you.”

Irene timidly nodded before starting her way up to the deck of the ship. Her hands shook as the result of nervousness and scared mixed into one. This night felt too silent for her. Irene knew something was wrong. And her guts rarely go wrong.

And she never hoped so hard that her guts were wrong this time.

When she reached the deck, a bunch of pirates were watching her like she was the annoying dirt in their shoes. Irene gulped, trying to wash away the nervousness. But it’s a complete failure. Panic started to rise inside her, afraid that they might do something. Until-

“Captain finally brings her girlfriend with us!!!” cheered one of the pirates so loud, the rest of them started to cheer too.

Irene blinked, trying to process the cheers around her when she felt someone grasp her shoulder. She was about to jerk away when a familiar body heat seeping through her dress. And how her beautiful voice followed after.

“Now, now, calm down boys,” commanded Wendy. “We need to be away first from here then go cheers all you want. Aye?”

“Aye, Captain!”

“Not so fast, Wendy!”

Irene froze when she heard the booming voice from the fog in front of them when the biggest warship that the British Navy had emerged from their hiding place. On top of the dock, the least person she wanted to see is standing there.

“Look, boys. We have a guest!” exclaimed Wendy. “The Grand Admiral of British’s proudest Navy.”

Irene can see his jaw that tightens as he notices the woman beside his mortal enemy. His own fiancée, that he loved with all his heart, turns out having this dirty affair behind him with the number one pirate in all British. Irene is trying not to wince in guilt as the thoughts slip right inside her mind.

But that was completely broken down as she released a gasp, noticed the old man that was standing right beside her ex-fiancée. Looking at her with a gaze that is indecipherable for Irene. “Father.”

“I can’t believe you choose our number one enemy more rather than our own nation, Irene,” spat The Grand Admiral full of hatred and disgust.

The hold on her shoulder tightens as the body beside her closes down each gap that exists between them. “Do not bring her into our problem, Admiral. I thought you are quite professional for that,” growled Wendy, holding her with a protective stance.

“Do not ask for my professionality when you know nothing, you dirty, disgusting pirate,” mocked The Grand Admiral. “And she already became British’s top traitor from now on, the moment she decided it’s better to be right at your side.”

Wendy released her scoff. “You are just jealous that the most beautiful woman in the region, the Governor’s daughter to top that, choose a mere dirty, disgusting pirate like me more than she chooses you. Now I don’t even know if any women will want to stay right at your side, considering your history list.”

Loud laughs from the pirates blasted through the thin, night air once their Captain released her lines. Irene can see that the Navy’s fleet is trying to hold their laughter too. While the Grand Admiral’s face turns to red because of the insult.

Wendy is going to give him another bite when a small hand gripped her elbow. She looked at the tight grip before moving her eyes up, catching her own gaze against Irene’s. “Can I speak to my father?” asked her in a soft, hushed tone.

Wendy gave her approval with a wide smile. “Know that no matter what happens, I will be here right beside you. Okay?”

Irene nods as she broke her gaze from someone that owned the important part of her heart, to her father right across the sea. “Father, I know you have lots of questions swimming through your mind right now.”

“If it’s because what I did earlier, then I’m sorry, Irene,” apologised her father quickly, didn’t give her a chance to continue. “Please, Irene. It was a selfish act from me. Ever since your mother’s gone, I promised to my soul that I will protect you from the outer world. From everything that is worse for your own good.”

“But I don’t want to be protected, Father,” explained Irene. “I want to be free. I want to see the world as it is. I’m not your little girl anymore, Father. I deserve to know everything. To go anywhere. To choose the person I want to spend the rest of my life with.”

“But-“

“’Don’t let them chain your wings of freedom, Irene. You owned it. Solely. No one else has the power to hold it back. Not even your own family. And use that to the fullest’,” Irene saw her father’s expression changed into something more indecipherable, as her words caught the piece of memory that has been locked quite long enough inside of him. “That’s Mother's promise to me, the moment before she left us for good. I think you know it too, Father, since you were also there when she said it.”

Fingers suddenly laced through her fingers. Irene looked at her side, catching Wendy’s proud gaze that was oozing from her warm eyes. She can feel her hands tightens the hold, trying to pass her encouragement to Irene. The encouragement that was enough for her to continue what she had started.

“Let me free, Father. You said you want me to be whatever I wanted me to be,” she said with a serious tone. “And this road is the path that I choose. Is the thing that I wanted me to be. Allow me to finally free my own wings from the chains of protectiveness that you bind.”

“How dare you still ask things to the Governor, you traitor,” spat the Grand Admiral. “You don’t even deserve his mercy.”

“Hey!” warned Wendy. “She was talking to her father, you jackass! Not you!”

“Do I look like I care, you stinky pirates? Once a traitor, will always be a traitor.”

“Are you really sure with your choice, Irene?”

The bickers died down immediately. Irene threw a disbelief gaze at her father, who was waiting for her answer. Now Irene knows what his gaze is. The gaze that he has been giving it to her all this time. Reassurance. “Yes, Father. I am sure.”

“And you, Captain of the Blue Skull Pirates,” he said, shifting his gaze to the woman beside her. “Will you protect my daughter from everything?”

“With all my life and soul, Sir,” answered Wendy without a doubt. “I will take care of her.”

Her father nodded. “Then it’s settled. Let them go tonight, Admiral.”

“What?” gasped the Grand Admiral in disbelief. “But-“

“You can continue to chase them the day after tomorrow. I will give you permission for that,” explained him. “But for now, just let them go. They deserve it. And it’s already late night.”

The Grand Admiral let out a frustrated sigh. “Turn back the ship to the dock. We are pulling back for now.”

“Yes, Admiral!”

“Just know that one day I will catch you and bring you to justice, pirates.”

Wendy sent him her cheeky smile. “Try to find us first, you dickhead! Let’s sail the ship, boys!”

Her father threw her a glance one last time, sending her a reassuring smile. Irene mouthed her quick ‘thank you’, not sure if her father catches it or not. But he nodded, and mouthed her ‘take care’. Making the grateful smile on her face finally blooming for the first time.

Moonlight Melody finally started to sail, piercing the night sea. Leaving the big town that held so many memories for Irene. That will carve its way right inside her mind for everything that has happened. That she will lovingly go back to cherishing every fragment and events that she held dearly inside her heart.

“So,” whispered Wendy beside her. Hitting her cold ear with her warm breath, making her shiver. “Ready to go to the edge of the world?”

Irene sent the love of her life her beautiful smile, before leaning in towards her luscious lips. Kissing it softly. Warming it with her breath. “Ready to go to the edge of the world with you.”

Wendy smiled, closing the gap once again. As Moonlight Melody follows the trails of the stars above them, trying to find the promised edge of the world. Piercing the sea as new adventures awaited them all. Oblivious to the danger that was laid out in front of the angry waves of the ocean.

Tides that will bring Moonlight Melody down to the bottomless darkness of the sea. Washing off all hopes and dreams in just one eventful night. How the great enemy of the British, defeated that easily by the force of nature.

But this time, whispers of goodbye and love can finally be said as their souls crashed endlessly. As stars twinkles, lighting down the event as they prepared for another promised lifetime.

---

“What is this?” asked Irene, eyeing down the piece of fancy paper that she holds between her delicate fingers. While another hand held the blanket tightly, trying to cover her body from being seen by the fancy walls that surrounded them. Protecting them from the harsh way of the world.

“My orchestra’s group concert. I will be the main pianist in one of the performances,” answered the person that stayed with her throughout the night, wearing the same white buttons up that she wore last night. Accompanying her to make the night blazing enough. Battling against the bone wrenching cold night outside that keeps blaring against the window. Just to be ignored by the two limbs that were connecting one with another. “I finally got the chance.”

“Congratulations!” exclaimed Irene. Her eyes twinkled with happiness and pride. “I’m so proud of you. You deserve this so bad. What will you perform?”

“A Mozart piece since it’s a tribute concert for him,” answered her nonchalantly. “I will perform Piano Concerto No.24.”

“That’s great! When will it be held?”

“Next weekend. At the Burgtheater.”

A bucket of ice suddenly thrown to her just like that from her answer. Her body went rigid. Her eyes widened, still eyeing the ticket in her hand. She felt her piercing gaze looking at her shocked state, stabbing her with invisible knives that attacked the delicate part of her heart. “N-next weekend? I-I can’t-“

The person snorted. “Of course you can’t come. Marriage anniversary. How could I forget?”

Irene sighed, fixing the way she sat on top of the bed. The bed that became the silent witness of the love exchange that was happening last night. “Wendy, you know I have no choice. For us to continue this that has been happening between the both of us, I need to do this. To make my husband unaware.”

Wendy sat on the edge of the bed, turning her back against Irene, refusing to look at the beautiful woman. The person who gripped her heart so tight between her delicate fingers that always made her wild.

The said hands circling her waist as her back flushed against the front that she grew familiar with. That she remembers every contour and every line whenever she planted her kisses to the delicate skin. Soft pair of lips kissing her neck softly, slowly going up towards her earlobe. Biting it softly before letting out a whisper. “I love you. And it will always be you. You know that, right?”

The lips moved once again, this time to her hard and strong jaw. The jaw that Irene loves to bite and on. Her delicate fingers moved towards the button of her shirt, sneakily opening it one by one. Taking her time to reveal the prize she has been tasting all night long. But she can’t just get enough. And she never will.

“Let me prove it to you once again,” whispered Irene as she finished opening up the last button. Her fingers following the edge contour of the soft silk of the shirt, slowly revealing the milky white skin of her shoulder. Seeing that Wendy didn’t put any resistance to her act, she bit her lip to prevent her smile blooming as she opened up the rest of the back. Seeing red lines that she made last night, caused by the satisfaction of letting go her pleasure.

Wendy turns to herself as she catches her gaze. The gaze that she grew familiar with. The dark gaze that was clouded with lust and love. The gaze that only reserved for Irene. The gaze that Irene loves so much.

She felt her body push her back towards the bed as she towered against her. Their gaze never breaks, keeps battling against dominance and pent up frustration and longing. The soft brown locks that she loves to run her fingers to cover her against the outside world. Her eyes still focus on the orbs on top of her that keeps darkening as their link deepens.

“You’re mine,” growled Wendy.

“I’m yours,” replied Irene easily as she runs her finger on the jaw that she worships so much.

“He has no chance for you.”

“Ever since the start, my love. You are the sole owner of my heart. The only one.”

Their lips finally gravitate, waltzing in a movement that they personally remember. Trying to prove to each other about their affection. Their longing feelings. The unspeakable relation that could never be revealed to the outside world. Because they are the polar opposite in this unfair world of society.

Irene first met Wendy at the opera that her husband was invited to by his colleague years ago. Getting the chance to visit the musicians at the back of the stage, the conductor invited her husband and Irene to go to this hotel bar and have a couple of drinks.

It was a normal night for Irene, until it wasn’t. Until Wendy tried to talk with her for the first time because she saw her as the lonely wife of a very successful husband who was too caught up in his business talks.

Until Wendy and her damn sweet mouth of hers entertain the boredom soul inside Irene, making her feel joyous emotion once again. The emotion that has long lost inside her heart ever since her marriage.

Until Wendy and her addicting lips having a contact with her own for the first time inside the restroom. Starting their first waltz of thousands that was going to happen as the time goes. Locking her arms on her neck, feeling the soft hair threaded against her fingers. Feeling her strong arms that were built from years of practicing piano, circling against her waist. Cradling her in a way her husband can never do, delicate but demanding.

For the first time, Irene lied towards her husband. The first of thousands sweet lies that will be told in the future. Saying that she needs to go to her friend’s place because they have important things to talk about and can’t be put on the back burner. And she will go together with Wendy to not make her husband too worried for her going outside alone in the middle of the dangerous night in Vienna, and because her place was on the same way as Irene’s friend.

When she actually never came to her friend’s place. They stopped at the fancy hotel in the middle of the city. Marking it as the place for their special night rendezvous. For their special night of exchanging pleasure that will grow into affection and bloomed into love. The forbidden love that will remain unspoken outside of the hotel room.

“Is something bothering you, Madam?”

Irene blinked as her mind brought her back to the garden at the back of her mansion. Her usual time to have a peaceful afternoon tea alongside some of the delicious treats that the maids made for her. “Excuse me?”

“Pardon me if it’s offending but, is something bothering you, Madam?”

Irene sent her a small smile, giving her gratitude politely as she sipped at her already grew to slightly warm tea. “It’s okay. Nothing is bothering me.”

“Do you perhaps want another tea, Madam?”

Irene shook her head. “I’ve had enough for this afternoon alone. Thank you for the offer.”

Irene looked to the garden once again as the maid cleared up the table slightly. Looking at little birds that flew on top of the bushes with their small wings. Maneuvering freely against the branches of trees. Relishing the feels of refreshing air that runs through their feathers.

“What is meant to be free?”

“Pardon, Madam?” asked the maid. Didn’t quite catch Irene’s question.

“What is meant to be free?” asked Irene once again, still looking at the birds in the garden. “What does it feel like to be flying without any resistance? Without any social law that binds you back against something that makes you happy. That you cherish so much you learn to can’t even live without them.”

“I think it depends on the person, Madam,” answered the maid thoughtfully.

Irene raised her eyebrow. “Do you mind elaborating your thoughts with me?”

“Every person deserves their own freedom, including you, Madam. But there is only one real and right question for that,” said the maid as she looked at Irene. “Are you dare enough to take the step that will free you from every bind that has been holding you back, Madam? To let go all the social constructions and finally taste the fruition of happiness that you had long grown somewhere beside here, Madam? That is my thought.”

Irene blinked, deciphering the thoughtful words that the maid has given to her. The thoughts that have been crawling inside her mind for years. Gnawing her inside in such an awful way, making her taste the distasteful waste that quickly grew into frustrations to her surroundings.

When the only person who could be blamed is her. Since she wasn’t daring enough to take steps for her own good.

Irene flashed her small smile to the maid, giving her gratitude and dismissing her at the same time, wanting to enjoy her precious afternoon alone once again. Letting her mind take her somewhere she feels safe. Somewhere she knows that she will make a big leap as the designated day comes.

She eyed the big silver diamond that circled her white, milky skin. Shining under the lights of the hanging chandelier on top of the room as she looked at the reflection of herself in the mirror. Grazing the pads of her fingers against the well-made craftsmanship. A gift from her husband for their anniversary.

Strong, big hands cupping her shoulders. The hands that feel too rough for her liking. The hands that weren't charging her with comforting and familiar warmth, running through her veins in such a delicate way. The hands that weren't her hands in the beginning.

“It looks beautiful on you, my love,” whispered her husband, also worshipping her reflection at the mirror in front of them. Eyeing the big diamond that feels heavy on her neck, hanging to her with burdens and scared feelings. “I’m glad I decided to buy it in the end.”

Irene flashed him a small smile, not much as the corner of her lips quirked up a bit. “Thank you. I love it.”

Her husband kissed her side temple softly, but not as soft as her. “You deserve all the beautiful things in this world, love.”

Yeah. I agree with that.

“Are you ready to go now, my love?”

“Actually,” Irene said as she turned her body. “Can we not have a fancy dinner for our anniversary tonight?”

Her husband raised his eyebrow. “May I know the reason why?”

“I just,” Irene gulped softly before continuing her resolve that she had decided days ago. “I’m bored with the same celebration for our marriage anniversary. And I think we need to do something different tonight.”

Her husband hummed. “You are right. We have been celebrating it with dinner for the celebration of our marriage. And I agree that it’s the time to change it. Do you already know where you want to go tonight?”

Irene’s eyes twinkled in mirth. “There is this orchestra concert in Burgtheater. My friend gave me the ticket concert for the both of us in VIP sections. What do you think of us celebrating it there?”

“That is a great idea,” exclaimed her husband. “I’m going to tell our carriage driver that we change our place. I guess I will wait for you downstairs?”

Irene smiled. “No, let’s just go downstairs together.” Because it will be the last step that I took with you together.

The drive to the Burgtheater filled with comfortable silence as Irene laid her head on top of her husband’s lean shoulder. She feels his lips kissing the top of her head affectionately. “You seem different tonight.”

“Is it a good difference?”

Her husband chuckled. “Things are always good whenever it involves you, my love.”

Irene’s smile grew wider as she released her satisfaction sigh. Can’t wait for them to finally be arrived at the theatre when all the things will change between all of them. And Irene, finally grasping the sweet taste of freedom. Together with the person that she loves the most.

The crowds already filled every corner of the theatre. Bustling sounds of people trying to reach their designated seats, talking with their colleagues or strangers that happen to sit beside them. Talking about anything they could have talked about in the theatre while waiting for the orchestra to come out.

Classical music. How Mozart became the beacon and icon for Austria, that’s why the rising orchestra group made this as a tribute night for him. How the business is going on in the neighbouring kingdom. The diplomatic deals that have been agreed by several nations.

And between all of that, the smell of freedom that keeps coming closer to her. Things that she will be able to grasp on in several hours.

“I heard they are the best orchestra group in the city,” said her husband as he took a seat beside her.

Irene smiled. “The best of the best. They have been establishing their name for several years now. And the fruition of their success has finally come.”

“You seem to know this stuff much better than me. I didn’t know you have a liking in this thing.”

Irene gave him a small peck on his cheek. “I have learned one or two as the time goes by about this stuff.”

And how their pianist’s fingers could take me to a place so high I could never want to come back down.

“One of their pianists is one of the best pianists I have ever stumbled upon,” murmured Irene. “You should pay attention to her performance later.”

Her husband hummed, before flashing her his beautiful small smile. “I can’t wait for her performance, then.”

The lights have been dimmed. The thick curtains that cover the big stage have been opened, revealing the empty stage that is going to be filled with a bunch of performances.

Everybody in the theatre clapped. Can’t wait for the performances to finally run and fill the whole area with beautiful noises. Including Irene.

Sounds that coming from the strings of violins and cellos started to fill the whole theatre. The orchestra performance has officially started.

Irene was trying to enjoy the performance, she really does. But she can’t help to wait for the performance of the person she wants to see so much. She can’t even concentrate on the performance that was unveiling on the stage. All those powerful musical instruments, and the way they just worked together beautifully.

It was a scene to see. All audiences felt like they were enchanted by the performance. All, except Irene.

“Wow, this is beautiful,” murmured her husband softly, meant to be only for her wife.

But Irene is too occupied with her thoughts and nervousness to be able to hear the whisper. To be able to form a convincing reply so her husband wouldn’t know that she didn't quite catch his words clearly. Until it finally came.

Until the stage finally gets revealed once again and now there is a piano right in the middle of the stage. All the lightings projected their beams to the piano who was waiting for the pianist to come.

The shoulder-length brown hair person that she grew familiar with, walking confidently towards the centre of the stage. Towards the thing that will mark her name between every genius musician in the world. The woman nods to the conductor once she is ready with her piano, and the performance starts.

Irene has come to tons of Wendy performances. But this one is different from the rest of the performance she has seen live.

It’s magical. Much more magical. Irene can feel everything from the notes of piano that Wendy tutted so precisely. All the untold emotions and feelings that have been locked up for years, finally getting heard by Irene’s.

All the longings. All the wishes and what ifs. All those wonderful nights that they spent together. The surreptitious affair that makes their souls alive and burns in such a good way nobody will ever understand. All the exchanges were full with words of love and affection that they whispered in the burning night, clawing against the core of her heart. Tugging it to remind her who was the sole owner of her heart.

Irene blinked, feeling the drop of water coming off from her eyes. The emotions had overwhelmed her. And the man beside her can never know. Her fingers that were covered with a silk glove wiped the tears immediately. Trying to be careful not to make the trail obvious.

The performance finally finished. All the people inside the theatre clapped again for the last time that night, sending their gratitude to the personnel that had made the tribute concert into a successful event of the night. But this time, the clapping is much louder than the first one. A well-deserved appreciation for such a finesse performance.

Irene kept looking at her who was bowing to the audience as her hands kept clapping. The smile carved on her face made her look much more ethereal under the lights that beamed at her with pride. She can see her eyes wandering, trying to find someone in the middle of the thousand crowds. Until she locked her eyes on Irene.

Wendy flashed Irene her gorgeous smile. The smile that always made her heart soar to the seventh sky. That always makes the butterflies in her belly flutters in a beautiful, unexplainable way.

“Congratulations,” mouthed Irene.

“You came,” mouthed back Wendy.

Irene's smiles grew wider. “I will always be here.”

And she will make it as forever.

“Can I go to the back stage for a while?” asked Irene once her and her husband descended from their seat to the front door of the theatre. “I want to meet some friend of mine to give her this bouquet of flower, and she promised to meet me at the back stage.”

Her husband smiled as he leaned in, planting a soft kiss on her forehead. “I’m going to wait here while talking with one of my colleagues.”

“I’ll be right back.”

Irene sprinted towards the back stage as fast as she could. As fast as her dress allowed her to run in such a limited way. She passed through some people on her way, but there is only one person that she is solely going to meet. And she is going to offer her the promised future for the both of them.

The door of the back stage somewhat opened, but Irene can understand. Since lots of people mostly wanted to meet with the musicians and gave their gratitude in a more personal way.

Irene looked at the room inside, trying to find the familiar back of someone that she remembers by heart, until-

“Irene!”

Irene locked her gaze with hers. Her face is glowing with happiness as she stands up from her seat, expecting her to come inside. Irene obeys, sauntering through the people, making the backstage much crowder than usual. Until her arms engulfs the familiar body that radiates comfortable warmth.

“I can’t believe you came!” exclaimed Wendy with mirth in her tone.

“I will always come to your performance, Wendy,” answered Irene as she pulled her body back, trying to look at the face that always fulfilled her dreams in the night. “I promised you that, didn’t I?”

Wendy just flashed her a wide grin as she looked at the bouquet on Irene’s hand. “Is that for me?”

“Of course! Congratulations! That is a really great performance from you. I really like it.”

Wendy giggled happily as she inhaled the flower’s smell carefully. “Thank you. And thank you for the flower’s too. It’s beautiful.”

“It deserves someone equally beautiful to receive it.”

Wendy just smiled wider as she kept enjoying the flowers in her hand. Irene’s hands clammed with sweat, readying herself for everything that she’s going to say right here and now. She took a deep breath, gear oneself up before letting out the words she has been longing to say.

“We-“

“Wendy!”

A taller woman engulfed Wendy immediately in a big hug. Irene blinked as she looked at the both of them. She looked at Wendy’s hands that grasped the woman’s waist in such a comfortable and careful way. Looked similar to the one that she always did whenever she holds Irene’s waist. Until the next event making her soul feel like it just got struck by a lightning.

The woman locks her lips together with Wendy’s own pair, moving in such a familiar way that Irene remembers by heart. Tasting the sweetness that she always tasted whenever she did a waltz with the plump lips. Breaking her heart into crumbles as they continue the waltz. “You were so incredible tonight! I’m so proud of you!”

The taller woman gave her another peck before Wendy replying to her compliment. “Thank you. I’m so glad knowing that you are coming tonight-“

Something struck Wendy as she said the sentence. Remembering that there is also someone together with her right now, making them as three. Not two. “Is she your friend?” asked the taller woman in her rich, melodious voice.

Wendy let out a nervous chuckle. “Ah, yes. Joy, this is Irene, my friend. Irene, this is Joy, my girlfriend.”

Her heart has fully crumbled into dust as she finished processing the words. Of course, Wendy will pair herself up with someone similar like herself. Also involved with performing things, showing up on stage. Flashing up their talent.

Joy, the young rising musical actress in Vienna. All of her friends talked about her. How she was so great with her acting on top of the stage. How her voice could make people who heard it feels every pain and sorrow in each word. How she was so beautiful she could easily become the most beautiful person in Vienna.

And here she was, in front of Irene, in the arms of Wendy. The real Joy.

“I didn’t know you have a girlfriend,” muttered Irene in a flat tone, breaking the ice between the three of them.

Irene could see the invisible line on Joy’s forehead turned into a deep frown. “You never tell me about this friend of yours.”

Wendy winced. “It’s a bit complicated.”

Oh, it was so much more than a bit complicated.

“Can I talk with my friend here for a while?” asked Wendy lovingly to Joy. “I will meet you right outside immediately once I was done talking with her.”

“Okay,” nodded Joy, sending a pleading glance to Irene. “Please don’t keep her too long. It’s been such a long time since we met each other again.”

Irene just gave her a tight-lipped smile as she looked at her sauntering towards the door, and left the backstage as Wendy told her to.

She heard Wendy released a deep sigh beside her, but her head refused to look at her. She kept looking at the closed door, where Joy just stepped out. “I know you have tons of questions,” started Wendy.

“How long?”

Wendy blinked. “What?”

“How long has been your relationship with her, Wendy?”

Wendy winced inwardly from the venomous tone. “It’s going to be two years next month. And I’m planning to propose to her when that time comes.”

This time, Irene looked at her right in the eyes. “And you never tell me this?”

Wendy scoffed. “Why should I even tell you about her?”

“What?”

“There is nothing between us, Irene. Don’t you make it clear yourself after all those times?”

Irene gasped in disbelief. “All those confessions. All the things that we did. And you dare to say there is nothing happening between us?”

Wendy squinted her eyes. “Don’t you dare to change this as if I’m the one to blame.”

“I love you, Wendy. And it’s always been you ever since we met each other for the first time!” exclaimed Irene. “Don’t you notice that?”

“How could I? When in the end, you will always come back to that husband of yours.”

“And I told you, I don’t have any choice!” cried Irene. “I would love to stay with you, but I can’t!”

Wendy hardens her jaw. “We can, Irene. We have the choice. You were just going to keep refusing it. We can run away from this damned city. I can help you free yourself from your husband. But you always said no. Admit it that you are scared of what is going to become with us in the future.”

“It’s too much, okay? We can never know what’s going to happen to us in the future, Wendy. There are too many dangerous what ifs. I’m just not ready.”

“And yet you keep using me as your little mistress you can order around,” mocked Wendy.

“I have never thought of you as my little mistress!” hissed Irene. “And you even dare to have a girlfriend after all of that.”

“Oh? So you can have your own husband, but I can’t have my own girlfriend?” scoffed Wendy. “This is ridiculous.”

“Stop making yourself like you weren’t the one to blame now, Wendy.”

“And stop making yourself like you weren’t even at fault when you have tons of it, Irene!” concluded Wendy. “We are both at fault here. Just admit it.”

Irene is trying so hard to hold back her tears from falling. She can’t look weak in front of her right now. She needs to be strong. “I was planning to free both of us tonight, Wendy. To finally live our dream life. Far away from all of this stuff that has been holding us back.”

“You are too late, Irene.” Wendy closed her eyes as she released a deep sigh. “The last night we met at the hotel room that time, I knew it would be our last night together. I can’t keep hurting myself like this, Irene. I can’t keep my feelings constantly tortured with the thoughts that I can’t have you as a whole. I need to share you with someone and it’s just keep clawing inside my mind. And the worst of it all, I don’t have any power like your husband did.”

Irene shook her head. “If only you would wait for me a little bit long-“

“I’m already waiting for you for five years, Irene. I think that’s long enough.”

Irene closed her eyes, no longer can see the woman she loved so much that was standing right in front of her. “I don’t think I can see you again after all of this, Wendy.”

“Good for you,” shrugged Wendy. “Joy and I will move out to Rome this week. She got a musical offer there. And this time, I have decided to come along with her.”

A single tear dropped to her white, pale cheek. Until a soft hand that she still knew by memories wiped it clear for her. That will become the last teardrop she will ever wipe from her cheek.

“Goodbye, Irene. Thanks for everything,” whispered Wendy as she kissed the cheek where droplets of tears wetted it earlier softly. Exchanging her last feelings before leaving Irene alone in that room for good.

Now she realized why Wendy said that when she saw her standing at the door. She never sees her inside the auditorium. No. The exchange that she thought she did with Wendy, turns out she did it with her girlfriend, who was sitting right under her own row. The happy laughing and light conversation that people did around her, felt like the universe was mocking her in a harsh way.

More tears started to drop on her cheeks, wetting all the dry spots with sorrowful liquids. Letting out her greatest heartbreak in loneliness of the night inside the crowded back stage that was filled with happiness. All the courage she has been pulling off together inside her, all the promises that she expects to be able to fulfil it, all the loves that she expects to be able to express freely, now has gone in vain.

She was the selfish one from the two of them. Wendy has been giving her everything. But Irene can’t give her the thing that she deserves so much in this world. And it’s killing her. Knowing in the end, it’s all her fault.

Her insecurities. Her scared feelings for the world outside. All the uncertainties. Are the one who is holding her back from having Wendy as a whole. And letting Wendy have her as a whole.

The universe, seeing one of their heroines falling into sadness, sending their condolences as the sky dropped their tears to the cold night. Wetting Vienna, the silent witness of the love journey that they made in this lifetime. The love journey that once again needs to experience another road bump for them to become a whole entity.

The stars twinkle as they get ready for another. Hoping that this time, the promise that they have been holding, finally meets its own flower road.

---

The woman huffed as she circled her hand on her neck, while her other hand supported her waist carefully. Blast of bullets and sounds of dynamites surrounding the area around them. “Calm down, Captain Son! I’m going to take you somewhere safe!”

The said Captain Son let out a tired huff as the woman beside her tried to help her walk. “Be… careful, Lieutenant Kang Seulgi.”

Seulgi gritted her teeth as she helped Seungwan to walk towards somewhere safe. Somewhere that wasn’t the battlefield where they were standing right now. “Stay with me for a while, Seungwan. I know you can do it,” whispered Seulgi as she tried to find the safest way to go.

Crackling sounds of burning woods filled the fireplace as the red fire tried to heat up the steel of the pot on top of it. Trying to cook the stew that has been bubbling and releasing the aroma of goodness.

Joohyun crouched, trying to look at the things inside of the pot clearly. Checking if her deer stew has cooked thoroughly or not. She fished out the meat from the pot with her spoon, cooling it out for a while before putting it at .

Her stew is perfectly cooked.

Joohyun hummed happily as she took out the pot carefully from the fireplace, to the dining table behind her. She just finished putting the pot carefully as a heart-wrenching scream stopped her from doing the next thing.

“Help!!”

Joohyun looked out the window, finding someone with full military attire while helping her partner who was wounded. They are part of the army, and Joohyun doesn’t know if they are the enemy or not.

“Help, please!! I’m with someone who is wounded!” screamed the woman once again as she looked at the wounded person with worry.

this.

“Help-“

“You can come inside! Quick!” said Joohyun as she opened up her door as wide as she could.

The woman quickly wobbled her way towards her home as Joohyun prepared her sofa to be the place for her wounded friend to lay down. “Where should I put her down?” asked the woman while looking around the room.

“Here. Put her here.”

The woman huffed before laying down her wounded friend on top of the sofa. Joohyun also helped by fixing her lying stance so she could be comfortable.

“What happened to her?” asked Joohyun as she sauntered towards her cabinet, fished out a steel box full of medical components.

“A bullet… piercing through the side of her belly,” breathed out the woman. “And she started to bleed so much.”

Joohyun hummed, crouching down beside the wounded woman. Trying to open a bottle of alcohol to sterilize the wound until a hand grabbed her wrist, stopping her movement.

“What are you doing?” asked the woman with suspicion in her tone.

“I’m trying to heal your friend.”

“Are you even qualified for this? Are you-“

“I’m a nurse,” cut Joohyun. “I am completely qualified to heal your friend. And I know what I’m doing. Now, excuse me.”

The woman released her hold on her wrist. Joohyun quickly opened up the military uniform of the wounded woman. Popping out the buttons until it reached an acceptable part for her to be able to see the wound clearly.

What the woman said is true. A bullet luckily pierced the side of her body. If it goes much nearer to the centre, the woman has nowhere in chance to survive.

“What happens?” asked Joohyun as she poured down the alcohol to the fresh wound. The wounded woman released a weak pained groan.

“The enemy,” the woman stopped for a while before she continued. “They suddenly attacked us out of nowhere. We weren’t ready to protect ourselves.”

“Where is the battlefield?” asked Joohyun as she cleaned up the wound.

“The forest in the west.”

Joohyun winced. “You are lucky to even get out from there in one piece. Especially since you brought along your wounded friend.”

The woman didn’t say anything to Joohyun’s words. Instead, she was asking. “How’s her condition?”

“Well, if it takes much longer for you to take her out from the forest, I think she will already become a goner,” said Joohyun as she tended the tender wound that was gaping because of the bullet. “Thank God you immediately decided to bring her out from the battlefield.”

“Please help her in any way you can.”

Joohyun eyed the rugged soldier, who looked so tired from all the hiking in the forest while bringing her friend together with her. But she is still able to stand up after all of that. “Why don’t you sit at the dining table? I will come to you once I am done with your friend.”

She looked at the soldier who quickly retreated from the room, stuttering on her way towards the dining table. Joohyun immediately focused on the wound in front of her. She could do a couple of stitches to close down the wound and stopped the bleeding. She looked at the wounded woman carefully, trying to read her condition.

She looked passed out enough for Joohyun to stitch the wound without her feeling the pain.

It took her fifteen minutes to stitch the wound and clean it thoroughly. She decided to clean all of the scratches and dirt over the soldier’s body. Trying to look at her face clearly.

She was beautiful. Too beautiful to be involved in a war for Joohyun’s liking.

Joohyun sighed as she walked towards the dining room after cleaning up all her medical necessities back to the cabinet. She looked at the restless woman. Her hands clasped tightly against each other. Her eyes looked empty, but Joohyun was able to hear her thoughts that sounded too loud in her ears.

“Do you want to eat?” asked Joohyun as she prepared several plates and cutleries for the both of them. “I just finished cooking for my lunch and dinner today. I think it will be able to fill our hunger until night.”

“It’s okay,” replied her with a tight-lipped smile. “I’m not in the mood to eat now.”

Joohyun nods. “I will just put your plate here in case you change your mind. And here’s some water.”

Joohyun gave her a cup of water, which she replied with a soft ‘thank you’ after receiving it. She decided to eat in front of her so she could analyse her better.

Her appearance was worse. Too much dirt and scratches covering her face. Probably caused by branches in the woods as she tried to bring her friend here. Decided to didn’t give care for her own being. As long as her friend is safe.

“So,” started Joohyun, after taking her first bite. “Can I know both of your names?”

“She was Son Seungwan, the captain of our cavalry,” muttered her while looking at Seungwan who was still in her unconscious state because of her wound earlier. “And I’m Kang Seulgi, her lieutenant.”

Joohyun nods again, processing the information she just got from Seulgi. “Why did you join the military?”

Seulgi shrugged. “I have no choice. They need us. I was jobless. It’s a perfect opportunity.”

Joohyun hummed, continuing to eat her lunch. She wants to ask Seulgi more things. She wants to know everything. Why does war exist? Who is battling who? Which one is the right side? Which one isn't? Why do people like her need to be the one who suffers the most? Innocent people like her.

“I’m so sorry if my question is a bit offending,” muttered Seulgi suddenly, breaking the racing thought inside her mind. “But, do you live alone here, ma’am?”

“Bae Joohyun. Just call me Joohyun.”

“Ah, yes,” stuttered Seulgi, a bit taken aback. “Do you live alone here, Joohyun?”

“There used to be my brother here,” said Joohyun, looking far to the pavement where she saw Seulgi carrying Seungwan in such hardship. “I live together with him. Just the two of us.”

Seulgi nodded, understanding her words. “Where is he now?”

“Somewhere out there,” sighed Joohyun, looking at Seulgi in an unreadable gaze. “In the battlefield.”

“Oh,” replied Seulgi softly, proceeding to take a sip of her water. Doesn’t know what to reply from Joohyun’s answer to her question. Of course her brother is out there in the battlefield. Why did you even have the guts to ask her about that? Kang Seulgi.

“What’s the point of this war, anyway?” rambled Joohyun suddenly, making Seulgi a bit taken aback once again. “Why this country is having this stupid war?”

“It’s complicated I guess.”

Joohyun squinted her eyes. “What kind of complicated problems need to be settled with war?”

Seulgi winced. “Ideologies?”

Joohyun sighed. “Oh God, you are still debating on that stuff.”

Seulgi wanted to reply, when something important hit her mind and she started to fish out her gun and pointed it towards her. Joohyun frowned, looking at the pointed gun and then the serious face that Seulgi wore immediately. She raised her eyebrow, demanding an explanation over her action.

But Seulgi didn’t seem to catch it. She let out a deep sigh. “What are you doing?”

“We are currently in the enemies’ territory,” explained Seulgi with a hardened tone. “And that makes you our enemy.”

“And? Why does it make you pointing a gun at me?”

“I don’t know. Self-protection?” bites Seulgi. “I have had enough of being stabbed in the back. My captain is the result of it. I will do everything to protect her at this point.”

Joohyun sighed. “I don’t even care with your stupid problem. Why should I be the one who pays for it?”

Seulgi didn’t answer. Just keep looking at her with a hardened stare and her fingers are ready to pull the trigger if Joohyun did something suspicious in her eyes.

“Besides, if I was your so-called enemy,” muttered Joohyun while wiping . “I will not open my door for you and your friend, much more taking care of her wound.”

Seulgi blinked, processing the words Joohyun just spewed out, until she retreats her gun. “You are right. I’m sorry. I’m hardly able to trust anyone right now.”

“It’s okay. I know that feeling. It’s pretty much annoying,” said Joohyun in an understanding tone. “Why don’t you clean yourself up? You can borrow my brother’s clothes for a while, since I think it will be too small for you if you wear my clothes.”

Seulgi nodded and sent her the first gratitude smile she ever saw from her. “Thank you. Can I use your bathroom then?”

Joohyun nods. “It’s the white door one. Use it as long as you like. I will put the clothes beside the door. In the meantime, I will look after your friend.”

Seulgi nods as she proceeds to go to the said white door, going inside the bathroom. Joohyun goes towards her brother’s room, taking some of his clothes plus a fresh towel for Seulgi to use. She put it beside the bathroom, knocking the door to give a signal to Seulgi that she has put the necessities she needs to wear later.

“Thank you!” yelled Seulgi from the bathroom that sounded muffled a bit because of the water splashes.

Joohyun decided to prepare warm water and a towel to clean Seungwan more thoroughly. Once it’s all ready, she twists the damp towel and carefully wipes the dirt remnant on her face.

Joohyun already said that she looks beautiful when she cleaned her for the first time earlier. But now? She looks glowing.

Her skin that completely got cleaned out from any dirt, with only several scratches here and there, looked so soft and healthy. There is no wrong part on her face as Joohyun still analyses it. There are soft wrinkles on her forehead. Maybe she felt hurt from her stitched wound or something like a dream. Joohyun suddenly has these urges to touch and smoothens the wrinkles between her brows.

Her lips, especially her bottom lip, looked so plump and healthy with glowing pink colour. Inviting her to just close the gaps right here and there. Irene blinked, assessing the face of the person under her. Her thick eyelashes that touched her cheek tenderly. Her brown orbs that looked sparkling as she looked at that much closer. her deep to the darkness that was within those sea of dark brown-

Wait, what? Since when she was that close of a proximity with her? And how come she can see her eyes?

Joohyun let out a shocked gasp as she backed down frantically once she realized Seungwan had woken up from her fainting. The said brown eyes blinked for a few times, probably assessing her new surroundings after she was waking up.

“Where am I?” she whimpered softly as her head moved to left and right, trying to see the place much clearer. Until she locked her eyes with Joohyun who was looking at her with suspicion. The frown on her forehead deepens. “Who are you? Where is Seulgi? Where is-“

She let out a loud hiss while holding the side of her belly, holding her bandaged wound after she was trying to sit up. Joohyun, who already broke out from her reverie, quickly holding her and putting her back to lay herself down. “Don’t move yet. You were severely injured.”

“What?” asked Seungwan, still confused. “Who-“

Joohyun gave her a glass of water that she already prepared and put on top of the table beside the sofa Seungwan currently laying down in. In case she woke up when someone wasn’t watching. “Maybe it’s better if you drink first.”

Seungwan took a couple sip of the water, being helped by Joohyun. She was locking her gaze against her once again after she was done drinking it. Her orbs filled with curiosity and questions swimming inside her mind, as she told Joohyun to explain silently.

“I’m Bae Joohyun, and this is my house,” explained Joohyun softly. “Your friend, Seulgi, brought you here after she managed to survive from the woods. She’s currently in the bathroom right now.”

The frown still plastered her forehead. She was about to ask again when something hit her in her mind. “Ah, the sudden attack.”

Joohyun nods. “Yeah, she told me about it.”

Seungwan looked at her bandaged wounds, scanning it with her eyes carefully. “I assume you were the one who bandaged my wounds, since there is no way Seulgi did this tidily.”

Joohyun nods again. “I need to do what I need to do.”

“Thanks, Ms Bae.”

“Just call me Joohyun,” shrugged off Joohyun like it was nothing. “Do you want to eat something? Or maybe go back to rest?”

Seungwan contemplated her offer while biting her lips. And Joohyun needs to struggle to control herself by not looking at how fast the lips turned to pale between those white teeth. “Can you please inform Seulgi to wake me up after she was done in the bathroom?”

“Of course,” nodded Joohyun. “Sleep tight, Seungwan.”

Joohyun froze after the words were out of . Seungwan didn’t know that she knew her name. And she just spilled it to her. She looked back carefully, trying to explain to Seungwan if she demanded some. But the latter just went back to sleep, and didn't realize about the blunder she just did.

Joohyun let out the sigh that she has been holding and continued her way towards the kitchen. Cleaning up the bowl that was filled with warm water and now dirty wet cloth.

Days have passed since the first time both of them came to her house. Seungwan has gotten healthier. Her wound is not as bad as the first day. Seulgi’s stressed out face finally found their lights back, brightening her expression every time she flashed her smile.

And Son Seungwan, that damned Son Seungwan, just needs to be a charming person for Joohyun’s liking. Especially the dimple that will always shows up every time she was laughing from Seulgi’s dumb joke. And don’t make Joohyun tell you how many sappy comments that she got daily from Seungwan. It was too much.

But nevertheless, it bloomed something inside her heart too.

“I’m going to the market to buy our weekly supplies,” announced Joohyun as she prepared her own wicker basket on her hand to put the supplies there. “I guess I can trust my place to both of you.”

Seulgi nodded with her signature wide smile, while Seungwan raised her hand up and exclaimed loudly. “Let me go with you!”

Joohyun frowned. “Seungwan, you are still in-“

“I’m completely fine!” cut Seungwan quickly. “I can walk without the need to wince every time I took a step now!”

“But the market is quite far away,” sighed Joohyun. “And I can’t risk having your wound reopened now since it’s healing so well.”

“I can take care of myself.”

Joohyun let out a groan, sending a help glance towards Seulgi who answered at her plea with a shrug. “She’s my superior. I can’t hold her back.”

“Fine,” groaned Joohyun. “But don’t blame me if you feel hurt.”

Seungwan just sent her a cheeky smile, making her heart beat faster than usual. Son Seungwan and her damned charming smile.

“So, what are you going to buy?” asked Seungwan freely as they have finally arrived at the slightly crowded market, where people from every village buy everything that they can find there.

“Food,” shrugged Joohyun. “And a medicine for you.”

Seungwan snorted. “I have healed. I thought I already told you that.”

“Just in case, Captain. We can’t risk having your wound to be worse when it’s supposed to heal themselves.”

Seungwan sighed defeatedly. “You’re the nurse here. I guess I can’t fight back.”

Joohyun stopped at the vegetable stall when she asked Seungwan something she wanted to ask her since the first day. “Why did you choose this path?”

“Sorry?”

Joohyun looked at her in the eyes while holding what looked like a fresh tomato. “Why did you choose to go to the military?”

“Oh,” replied Seungwan as her expression quickly changes into the one which she always wore every time she thought about something. “I just want to, I guess. Fighting for what I thought is the right one. Defending them and trying to keep it alive as the time goes. Can we even talk about that freely here?”

“You already see them yourself,” shrugged Joohyun as she put several vegetables inside her basket. “They didn’t seem to care, or know, that currently there was a war outside of their safe bubbles.”

Seungwan nodded. “Good for them, I think. We can’t let other people know about this place.”

“But you do.”

Joohyun looked at Seungwan right in the eyes once again as she noticed determination and seriousness in her gaze. “Seulgi and I will never tell our partner about this place.”

“Yeah, right,” snorted Joohyun as she left the vegetable stall to go to the fruit stall right at the back of the market.

“It’s true!” exclaimed Seungwan as she tried to catch up with Joohyun. “Why should I even tell them about this place?”

“Because you want to take us over?”

“And ruined this beautiful place?” scoffed Seungwan. “What a dumb move indeed.”

“Fine,” replied Joohyun while rolling her eyes, when she felt someone grab her wrist tightly. Holding her back from taking another step.

“Believe me, Joohyun,” said Seungwan with a serious tone. “I will protect this place with my whole life if I have to.”

Joohyun stared at her, finding determination and promise inside the warm brown orbs that could her in and make her hard to crawl out from. “I will trust your words, then.”

Seungwan’s expression breaks into a wide grin as she let go of her hold on Joohyun’s wrist, making the latter wrinkled her face for losing the warmth that she got from her hold. ``We go back to your place now? I’m sure Seulgi currently whined endlessly now for waiting us this long.”

Joohyun chuckled, imagining the human embodiment of a warm bear that is currently staying in her home. “Okay. Let’s go back home.”

Joohyun usually cooks for herself after her brother goes to the warzone and leaves her alone inside the small house. But now, she cooks for three people. And one of them is always helping her with the cooking.

Son Seungwan is a great cook. Joohyun needs to acknowledge that.

“She is the best cook in our cavalry,” bragged Seulgi as did a double-task by chewing the food inside. “No one could beat her in terms of cooking.”

“Really?” asked Joohyun, her interest is piqued. “You already tried my cooking, Seulgi. So, which one of us is the better cook? Seungwan or me?”

Seulgi stopped chewing as she threw a wary glance to Seungwan who was laughing her hearts out. “It’s okay, Seulgi. It’s not a trap question.”

“But why do I feel like it’s one?”

Seungwan’s laughter got louder. “Just answer her honestly.”

Seulgi hummed as her face scrunched into her thinking expression. Joohyun raised her eyebrow, feeling amused to see how her face got so serious about this joking trivial thing. “Both of you are good cooks.”

“But the best?”

Seulgi shrugged as she scooped another food to . “Both of you are the best.”

Yup. Typical Kang Seulgi. Always being honest with her words.

“You don’t need to help me clearing the dishes,” muttered Joohyun softly as she scrubbed the dirty plates with a scrub.

Seungwan just smiled softly. “It’s okay. I like this.”

Joohyun let out her snort. “Like what? Washing the dishes?”

Seungwan looked at her, ignoring the clean plate that she just washed. “Like being alone with you.”

The older of the two stopped scrubbing the plates as her face slowly changed colour into red. She can hear Seungwan’s soft chuckle right beside her, amused from her reaction. “You and your smart mouth,” grumbled Joohyun.

“That’s why they make me the Captain of my cavalry,” gloated Seungwan playfully.

“Whatever.”

Seungwan chuckled once again before focusing her gaze back to the plates. “Say, Joohyun. Do you believe in lifetimes?”

“Do you?”

Seungwan clicked her tongue. “I asked you.”

“And I want to know your answer first,” chuckled Joohyun.

Seungwan hummed. She can hear her brain filled with lots of thoughts, thinking about the answer that she was going to give to her. “I do.”

“Why?”

“Because the world is a mysterious place,” muttered Seungwan. “Don’t you agree?”

Joohyun hummed. “Probably.”

“What about you?”

“I don’t believe in such trivial things.”

Seungwan let out her laugh. “Trivial things? Seriously?”

Joohyun shrugged. “I don’t know. The concept of lifetime sounded too odd for me.”

Seungwan nodded. “Well, that’s a bit sad.”

“Why?” frowned Joohyun.

“You see, because if you believe in the concept of lifetime, I want to make a promise with you,” said Seungwan as she focused her gaze completely on the woman beside her. “That we will meet in a much better lifetime, and I promise we will always be together.”

Joohyun stared at her, ignoring the dirty plate that she was holding. “That’s a big promise.”

“And it needs a big commitment to keep a big promise,” smiled Seungwan. “And I’m ready to take the responsibility for it.”

Joohyun smiled. Seungwan is interesting. Always interesting in her eyes. There is just something inside her that always makes her feel intrigued to know her more. And this part is one of them. “Okay. I will try to believe in this concept of lifetime.”

It’s been a while since Joohyun spent time with people. Especially certain someone that always manages to fish out a loud laugh from her. Who always makes her interested with everything that was said from their mouths. Who always makes her feel like she was someone special inside someone’s life.

She doesn’t want this to end. She never wanted this to end. But, like every book, they always have their closure chapter. And Joohyun needs to experience it now.

“They’re here!” exclaimed Seulgi in a breathless way. “They finally reached this place! What do we do, Captain?”

Seungwan immediately went into her alert mode. “Do we have any kind of weapon?”

Seulgi nodded, hastily reaching out into her small bag packed with stuff. “I have a gun, knife, grenades. That’s it.”

Seungwan looked at the weapons that were laid out in front of her as her mind thought about the way to battle the enemy. Trying to hold them back from this area with limited resources that they have. She looked to her right, finding Joohyun who was looking at her warily. “Joohyun, you need to get out from here.”

“No!” answered Joohyun quick. “I can’t just leave both of you alone and battling against them while I was running away to save my life!”

Seungwan stared at her long. “You will run away with Seulgi.”

This time, Seulgi is the one who voiced her protest. “What? Captain, are you out of your mind? It’s a whole cavalry that is coming towards us right now!”

“I am right inside my mind, Seulgi,” gritted Seungwan. “Both of you need to go now before things grow worse.”

“Seungwan, please,” begged Joohyun. “You can’t battle them alone. I can’t lose you. Please.”

Seungwan smiled. “And it will kill me if I’m the one who loses you, Joohyun.”

“Seungwan-“

“I made a promise, didn’t I? That we will meet once again in a much safer lifetime,” said Seungwan softly. “I still want to meet you in this lifetime. But, it’s not a bad idea to meet each other in another one.”

Seungwan averted her gaze to Seulgi who has steeled her expression. “No.”

“Seulgi-“

“I can’t leave you alone, Captain.”

Seungwan grabbed her by the collar out of impatience. “Listen here, Lieutenant. This is an order. You can’t get out from this, understand? Run away with Joohyun before they get closer to here. Now!”

The sound of the enemies’ steps has grown closer. Seulgi looked outside warily, before changing her gaze back to her Captain. “But-“

Seungwan smiled as she tapped her cheek softly. “Take care of Joohyun for me, okay? I will hold them back right here.”

Seulgi tightened her jaw. She closed her eyes, moving her face away from Seungwan as she took Joohyun’s wrist and tugged her forcefully. “Let’s go.”

“Are you a ing idiot?” screamed Joohyun, trying to free her wrist from Seulgi’s hold. “She will die alone there!”

“This is an order!”

Joohyun was about to protest once more as she looked at Seulgi’s eyes who already spilled tears to her cheeks. Her gaze immediately got clouded with tears too as she realized something. It’s not just her who will lose someone who was important in their life. Whom she held dearly in her heart.

Seulgi’s too.

Joohyun choked out a sob as she followed Seulgi, going out from her house using the back door. They kept running faster once they could hear a gunfight coming from her house. And both of them just can’t stop their tears once it was spilled.

A loud sound from a blasting grenade making them take a cover behind a big tree. Big enough to hide the both of them. Seulgi covered Joohyun’s mouth, trying to not let their hiding place be known by the enemy easily just from her loud sob.

There was silence. Feels like a calm before the storm. And it is indeed a calm before the storm when a heart-wrenching scream from the voice they grew familiar with reached their ears.

“I WILL ALWAYS DEFENDING WHAT WAS RIGHT FROM THE BEGINNING!”

Followed by a loud bang from a gun who did their shot.

Joohyun froze, can’t believe what was just happening as she felt a head leaning on her shoulder, making her clothes wet from the fallen tears. A choked sob came out from the woman behind her, trying to hold back her sadness but eventually, it still found its way to escape.

Son Seungwan has gone from this world. A fact that still sounds unacceptable for her mind.

A loud wind carries her cries away from the bloody spot. Trying to make her escape from the harsh reality as the universe once again worked in a way no one will understand. Working endlessly to make the promise come true in the next lifetime.

---

Joohyun loves to do stargazing from her balcony. One of the many reasons why she was lucky enough to get the biggest room inside the dorm filled with five people.

Cold night wind hitting her softly, caressing her in a way it felt like a hug from the long-lost friend, finding its way back to the past friendship that almost went away.

It’s a silent night tonight. She didn’t hear any ruckus or voices from anyone inside the dorm. Probably all of them have gone to sleep, considering it was already midnight. Yet here she was, standing outside, on the balcony. Watching the stars filled the clear, dark sky.

Apparently, it’s not all of them as she heard three knocks on her door.

The corner of her lips lifted slowly. There is only one person who will knock her door thrice. The person she held dear by her heart. “Come in.”

“Oh? I thought you already went to sleep, unnie,” muttered the woman as she stepped inside the warm room that has grown familiar for her.

“I can’t sleep,” answered Joohyun softly. “I don’t know why.”

The woman hummed as she stood beside her, also watching the night sky. “It’s beautiful.”

Joohyun chuckled. “It is.”

“Now I know why you love to do this kind of thing.”

Joohyun laughed softly as the night wind carried her voice. “Seriously, Seungwan-ah?”

Seungwan just shrugged, even though her lips made a small smile on her face.

“Where have you been?”

“Seulgi’s room,” sighed Seungwan. “She looked pretty nervous for tomorrow.”

“Of course she was.”

She felt her gaze focused on her as she kept her own still focused on the sky above. “Are you?”

Joohyun let out a sigh. “It will be a lie if I said no.”

A hand grasped her own. Joohyun let her fingers laced against hers, keeping the warmth of her palm inside as she felt a surge of energies running inside her. Seungwan kept shut, waiting for her to tell more.

So, Joohyun said more. “It will be just the two of us on the stage. Not five like usual. And, there wasn’t you, or Sooyoung, or Yerim in the waiting room. Of course I felt nervous.”

The hand tightens the grasp on her. “You will do great on stage. Both of you will. You know that, right?”

Joohyun released her deep sigh. “I don’t know. We don’t want to be a burden for the whole group.”

“Hey, hey, hey. Look at me.”

Joohyun tore away her gaze from the sky, finding the dark brown orbs that always calming her nerves down whenever she looked at it. Always injecting her with comforting warmth whenever she was right inside those.

“You are not a burden,” stated Seungwan firmly. “Both of you are not a burden. I know people will like it. And they will be fascinated with it. Damn, unnie, I already said it sounds so great and the choreography is mad insane, right? I mean it. It’s so great. Lots of people will like it. I know.”

Joohyun just stared at her. “You know your comment can be counted as biased, right?”

“Unnie,” whined Seungwan. “It’s true!”

Joohyun laughed softly at her expression, looking like a mad hamster with that puffed out cheeks. “Come on, I’m just joking.”

Seungwan huffed once more as silence blanketing them once again. Two pairs of eyes focusing their gaze into the sky once more. Looking at the blinking stars above, like a river filled with glitters. “This lifetime is quite nice,” murmured Seungwan softly.

Joohyun frowned softly, didn’t quite catch what she just said. “What?”

“Say, unnie,” Seungwan changed her gaze to her once again. “Do you believe in lifetime?”

The frown on her forehead deepens. “Lifetime?”

“You know. Once you die, you will be reincarnated or something like that. And then you will repeat your life as a totally new person. Forgetting about your past life.”

“Did Seulgi ask you to watch some weird drama again?”

Seungwan laughed. “Just answer my question.”

Joohyun hummed, trying to find her answer for the question Seungwan just threw at her. “What about you? Do you believe in lifetime?”

“I do,” answered Seungwan, sounding so sure in her ears. “I don’t know, but I feel something inside myself. That the past me has made a really big promise in the past. And I need to fulfil it in each lifetime as long as I’m alive.”

“A promise?” asked Joohyun. “What promise?”

Seungwan’s lips turned to a grin. “To always be with you.”

Joohyun's wondering face quickly turned into a grimace. “Tone down the cheesiness, Seungwan. It’s already late in the night.”

“But it’s true!” defended Seungwan. “I feel like that is the promise that myself made for me in the past. Whatever happens, we will always try to be together. And it’s quite hard to keep a promise like that, you know? What if I choose to not become an idol and get accepted at some really great university to be a doctor?”

“But you can’t sing if you become a doctor.”

“Ah hah,” sing-along Seungwan as she moved her finger side by side in front of her face. “I still can sing for my patient.”

“As a free entertainment?” snorted Joohyun.

“As a free entertainment,” nodded Seungwan. “But the right word is, I can’t meet you if I choose to be a doctor in this lifetime.”

“You and your mouth,” sighed Joohyun. “Always blew me away.”

“Kind of ambiguous, but I accept that.”

Seungwan let out a loud laugh as Joohyun slapped her hand hard. Her face blushed so hard it quickly turned her face into a ripe tomato.

“How about you? You haven’t answered my question.”

Joohyun once again turned into her silent self, thinking about her answer. Seungwan already laid out hers, and somehow it sounded quite reasonable for her to accept. “I’m still unsure about my own answer, but-“

“But?”

Joohyun chuckled at her eagerness. “I guess I just need to always be with you in this lifetime, right?”

Seungwan cracked a wide grin on her face. “I love you, Joohyun-unnie.”

The stars twinkle brightly at the words. Feeling accomplished for helping them fulfill the past promise that has been said in such a long time. Connecting two individuals together in each lifetime when they exist together. No matter what happened.

The sky smiled. The wind full of love breezed as the other woman said the words. Tightening the invisible thread that has connected them with each other. Never letting go.

“I love you too, Seungwan.”

---

did i just killed wendy three times in this fic? yes <3. anyway, i am finally giving fic right on time for wenrene day. and, there you goes. my gift for all of you. i hope you like it. and i'm sorry if the story is a bit angsty LMAO i didn't mean it i swear (well, maybe kinda but that's it). lastly, happy wenrene day yall :)