The Grass is Greener On Your Side (And I Love It)

Sugar Cake

The moonlight illuminating through the darkroom of the large bedroom inside some fancy yet simple penthouse. The famous London Eye can be seen from the window in that room, looking as majestic as ever.

Two figures can be seen sprawled on the king-size bed, covered in nothing but a blanket. The one is laying on her side, closing her eyes as the other one lazily drawing something invisible on her smooth back.

A sighed cutting out the silence in that room. “I’m going back to Korea next week.”

“Oh? It’s already the end of the season?” asked the woman, tempting to opened up her eyes but refused to do so. Still want to enjoy her significant other’s lazy finger on her .

“Yeah, it’s already the end of the season,” she chuckled, didn’t stop her finger movement. Finding the back of the lovely woman beside her as the most interesting view on earth.

“It feels like yesterday when you won the European Championship with your team.”

She smiled, remembering the wonderful memories, especially the taste of glory. The gold medal that was hung on her neck. Being the first person to lift the trophy since the badge of captain is located on her right arm. Running towards the stand as she located the woman who currently , lying beside her. Waiting for her with a big hug and a proud kiss.

She leaned in, planting a soft kiss on the soft shoulder. “Yeah, it is.”

“I still remember how sweaty and smelly you are when I hug you.”

“I’m running in the field for 90 minutes straight, and you complained about that?”

“I’m not complaining, though.”

She raised her eyebrow even though she knew the other one couldn’t see it. “Yeah, right.”

The woman felt the bed dipped beside her, the on her back also stopped. She turned around, wanting to protest as she looked at the troubled face plastered on her lover’s face.

“Hey, I was joking. I’m so sorry,” she said frantically, panicked.

“I know.”

She frowned. If her face making an expression like this, then something troubling her. “Is there something wrong?” asked her as she put her head on the crook of her neck.

She immediately circling her arm on her body, pulling her close. “I’m going back to Korea next week for the training camp.”

“Training camp? For the national team? For what?”

“World Cup.”

They fell into silence once again as they keep the word lingered on their heads. World Cup. The biggest event in the football world that was held once every four years. The pride for winning it that could go through for a lifetime. Even the player can be dubbed as national heroes if they could bring the cup to their own country.

Son Seungwan. Korea’s main pride. One of the best central defenders in the whole world. Just strengthen her position on it as she brings her club to win Europe’s most prestigious cup, the European Championship. Completing the glory with the club is on top of the league and also won the domestic cup. Making her as the main pillar of the national team.

Joohyun sighed. She knew that her girlfriend is good at playing football, but she didn’t expect to be this good. Trying to be there at every game when her girlfriend is playing becoming hard to her as the demand of being a worldwide top model limiting her to do so. 

“So, we don’t have much time together this time?” asked Joohyun softly, Seungwan’s rock hard abs as the result of her football training.

“We can still meet each other! Coach is not that strict of a person,” reasoned Seungwan, planting a kiss on her forehead.

“This is World Cup, Seungwan. Your long-time dream. You said that to me once. And you can’t divide your attention into two.”

Seungwan closed . What Joohyun just said is true. She can’t focus on two things. She needs to choose one. No matter how much she tries to deny it, she knew what her answer will be.

“I’m sorry,” muttered her.

“No need, I understand. When will this be held?”

“In two months.”

“Where?”

“France.”

Joohyun hummed as she looked at Seungwan’s legs. “Is your knee alright? Is it still hurts?”

“Not really.”

Joohyun still looks at it as she remembers the event 6 months ago when Seungwan was tackled roughly by the other team’s player, resulting in an injury on her knee. Joohyun immediately went inside as she watched Seungwan was brought inside by the medical team on the place where she sat.

After asking (or forcing) the staff at the stadium about the clinic whereabouts, she finally found it before getting shoved outside by some nurse.

“You can’t be here, Miss,” said the nurse as she trying so hard not to let Joohyun come inside.

“My girlfriend is inside. Please, let me see her,” beg Joohyun.

“She currently is being taken care of by the doctors. Please wait outside for a while. If they’re done, I’m going to call you and bring you inside. For the mean times, please calm yourself down first.”

Joohyun did as she told, although part of her just wanted to barge inside. After the ten minutes that felt like an eternity to her, the nurse finally fetched her and bring her inside.

A smell of sweat and meds overflowing her sense of smell. She unconsciously hugged herself, suddenly feel that the clinic is too cold for her own liking. And Joohyun doesn’t even fond of cold in the first place.

She finally found Seungwan inside. Lying down on the bed with her knee having a cast on it. An arm covered her eyes, an act that Joohyun knows by heart. She was being disappointed by herself.

She walked towards her, grasping her free hand, letting her know that she was there. “Hey,” greeted Joohyun softly.

Seungwan removed her arm, looking at worried Joohyun with a small smile. “Hey.”

“How’s your knee?” asked Joohyun as she pointed to the said object with her eyes.

“Thank God it’s not a bad injury,” Seungwan sighed. “I just need three months to recover.”

Joohyun hummed, unaware of the movement of her finger as she Seungwan’s palm. Trying to make her calmed down, telling her that she’s here. Seungwan smiled softly from her action. “Stop looking worried, Joohyun. Your beautiful face didn’t need it. I’m okay.”

Joohyun snapped her gaze to her quickly. “Stop saying you’re okay when you’re clearly not, Seungwan.”

Joohyun widens her eyes as she realized her words. “Oh my God, I’m so sorry. I didn’t mean to.”

Seungwan chuckled. “It’s okay. I need it, to be honest. Is the game already over?”

“I don’t know. I immediately went inside trying to find you when I saw them bring you here,” muttered Joohyun.

Seungwan nodded. “Well, according to the cheers, I think we won.”

They keep holding hands, enjoying each other’s presence in silence, until Seungwan’s teammates barge in and asked about her condition. Much more like, they since they found her still holding hands with Joohyun.

Joohyun almost canceling off all of her schedules for three months straight just to stay in London and taking care of injured Seungwan. It took Seungwan lots of effort (read: reassuring and mind-blowing ) to make Joohyun not to cancel all of her schedules, resulting in her only canceling it for a month.

Joohyun moved, sitting up on top of Seungwan. Her glory being emphasized by the moonlight that was seeping through her window, making her gulped hard. “Joohyun, what are you doing?”

“You said you will go back to Korea in a week, right?” asked Joohyun, circling her hands to Seungwan’s neck, leaned closer.

“Yes?”

Joohyun stopped right above her lips. She can feel her warm breaths and Joohyun’s own pair of lips ghosting her own, teasing her. “Since a week it’s not even that long, might as well we cherish the time that we had now,” whispered Joohyun as she immediately closed the gasps.

For the second time, the room filled with sounds of satisfied loud groans. But this time, it’s longer. And louder.

---

“Seungwan-ah! Long-time no see!”

“Seul!” greeted Seungwan back as she looked at her long-time best friend, the Tiger, Korea’s main striker, Kang Seulgi.

Seulgi’s eyes turned into a crescent as she swooped her into a bone-crushing hug. “I miss you so much, Wan-ah! How have you been?”

“Never been better. What about you, Seul?”

“Me too! Especially since my injury is already completely cured, now,” Seulgi said, didn’t forget her eye smiles.

Seungwan smiled softly. “Glad to hear that.”

They keep talking with each other until it was time to go to the field to train. Seulgi is Seungwan’s closest friend here. They’re already together since childhood and only being separated for the first time when Seungwan needs to move to London because she’s already contracted by a club there at her teenage age.

She couldn’t contain her happiness when she heard Seulgi move to Munich two years after her arrival in London, making her closer with her best friend, although still in different countries.

“Look! The Champions of Europe is here!”

Seungwan, who still had her conversation with Seulgi, looked at Sooyoung who just screamed it on top of her lungs in the middle of the field with shocked expressions.

“Park Sooyoung! Stop being like that.”

Sooyoung just rolled her eyes. “Sometimes you need to be proud of your achievement, unnie.”

Yerim, who running from somewhere, tackled Seungwan into a hug. “Congratulations, unnie! We’re so proud! I’m watching the live broadcast with this giant, you know!”

“Who you referred to as giant huh, midget? And yeah, as she said, we watched the live broadcast. Especially the part when the camera shoots you and somehow bam! You’re currently kissing the hottest model in this country, not to mention the hand movements, too,” teased Sooyoung, wriggling her eyebrows.

Seungwan is sure that her face is as red as a ripe tomato now because of Sooyoung. She softly coughed, trying to cover her embarrassment. “Thanks, guys. But, do you really need to add that part, Sooyoung? Geez.”

“Of course I need, too. When will I have the chance to do this again to you?”

Seungwan just pouted. “You’re cruel,” muttered her sadly.

“Anyway, how is Joohyun-unnie, unnie?” asked Yerim.

“She’s fine. Currently in Italy now, having this photoshoot with a jewelry brand, she said,” explained Seungwan, who looked at Yerim with adoration in her eyes.

Yerim is the youngest one in the national team. She knew how hardworking the girl is. And, looking at how she finally here, she can’t help but feel so proud of her.

“She just kept getting offered by high-end products, huh. I’m so proud I knew her!” exclaimed Yerim proudly.

“Now I missed Joohyun-unnie,” muttered Seulgi.

Seungwan sighed. Me too, Seul. Me too.

A high-pitched whistle sound piercing through the air. “Huddle up, girls!” screamed the coach.

They immediately go to the middle of the field, where a bunch of their teammates already there, sitting on the grass. Four of them immediately following suit.

“First, congratulation to Son who just won the European Championship with her club. You deserve it, kid. And we’re proud of you,” announced Coach.

A round of applause quickly filled them, alongside a loud howl and congratulation lines that were given to her. “Thanks, Coach,” Seungwan said while being embarrassed from the attention but happy.

“Next, the training camp will officially start now. So, give me all you got, girls. We got a worldwide competition waiting for us.”

---

“Seungwan?” asked Joohyun while rubbing her eyes, trying to adjust with the darkness outside. It’s still so early, yet the side of her bed felt so cold. She knew that Seungwan will not leave Korea until two days later, so where is she?

A pair of arms suddenly wrapped at her waist, a head nuzzled at her collarbone, peppering it with soft warm kisses. “It’s still early, why are you awake?” muttered Seungwan, still giving kisses between words.

“The bed felt so cold.”

“The blanket is already thick, though?”

“But not as warm as you,” whined Joohyun, who managed to turn around, looking at her girlfriend who currently looked at her with a loving gaze.

Seungwan just smiled, while swaying her body and Joohyun’s softly, putting her head on Joohyun’s right shoulder. Humming their song softly, as they dancing in the dark with the melody of the humming.

“This is a whole next level of cheesiness, Seungwan,” said Joohyun softly, pulling her body closer.

“It’s great, isn’t it?”

“Yeah, but we still need to go to sleep.”

Seungwan softly chuckled beside her, nuzzling her nose with her shoulder blades, making her shiver. “Will you come?”

“To the airport? Of course.”

“No, I mean,” Seungwan pulled away slightly, looking at Joohyun right on her eyes. “to my every game. In France.”

Joohyun can’t answer it as fast as earlier. She hasn’t checked her schedules yet. But according to her manager, she will be so busy and it will be really hard to cancel it and then making another appointment.

“I-I don’t know, Seungwan. It’s been hectic these days. And, although I also have scheduled in France by the time you’re playing in the World Cup, I don’t know if I will.”

She felt the hold on her waist slacken as she saw Seungwan’s expression fallen into disappointment. “Ah, I see.”

“Hey, look at me,” Joohyun said as she held her face, forcing her to look her straight in the eyes. She tries so hard not to kiss away the pout Seungwan gives to her. “I will always be there for you in every game, okay? Physically and not physically.”

“How?”

Joohyun grabbed Seungwan’s right wrist as she brought it up and kissed it softly. There is a tattoo of a bunny and a lamb, alongside numbers ‘329’ and letters ‘BJH’ on it. Seungwan made the tattoo on their first anniversary as couples, months before Seungwan moved to London.

“This will be my representative from now on,” explained Joohyun as she leaned in, stole a peck from Seungwan.

Seungwan smiled softly, leaning herself towards her as she pulled her back to a hug. She sighed once again, making Joohyun frowned.

“Something still bothering you,” muttered Joohyun while playing with Seungwan’s soft, brown hair.

Seungwan just hummed. It was silence and Joohyun knew that Seungwan needs time to answer her. She waited until finally, she heard her voice. “I’m scared.”

“From what?” whispered Joohyun softly while kissing the side of her head.

“France.”

Joohyun kept mum, silently waiting for Seungwan to continue, who seems to get the clue.

“One day before I’m going back here, Coach announced which one of us will be the captain. Guess who it is?”

“You?”

Seungwan chuckled, but with a sad tone. “Yeah.”

Joohyun nodded, didn’t say anything nor push Seungwan to say more. She really held herself back for not questioning things to her so hard. She wants Seungwan to spill everything, to help her relax. But Seungwan is a tough wall to crack and Joohyun already has her own formula to crack it fast. 

That is letting Seungwan speak whenever she’s ready, letting her know that she’s always there, ready to listen to her.

“It’s World Cup, Hyun. It’s a national team. Not a club. The burden is different. I feel like lots of eyes will pay attention to me. Especially because I just won a European Championship. People will expect a lot from me, as I am the captain of the team. And also, I just won the Player of the Season Award. All people will expect me to bring Korea to glory. I felt burdened by that, Hyun. I barely breathe just by thinking about this. And people said that I will be a failure if I couldn’t bring Korea through the group stages at the World Cup.”

Joohyun pulled herself away from the embrace. “Who told you that, Seungwan?”

Seungwan avoiding her gaze, making her hold her face, forcing her to look at her straight in the eye. “Tell me, Seungwan. Who?”

“I read an article.”

Joohyun deeply sighed. She thought she’s the only one who will get affected by the article, not the person in front of her. It’s the consequence of Joohyun’s jobs in the entertainment world. She can brush aside those negative articles about her. But an athlete? Worrying about an article?

“It’s just some dumb journalist, Seungwan. Don’t believe them.”

“But, what if they’re true? What if I am a failure and then people will—”

Joohyun decided to shut her off with a kiss. “You are not a failure, Seungwan,” muttered Joohyun, the moment she pulled herself to stop the kiss. “And you never will.”

Seungwan just pulled her back for a hug and putting her head once again to Joohyun’s shoulder. She can feel the shoulder part of her shirt getting wet, the strong yet small, fragile body is shaking as uncontrollable sobs coming out from .

“Please be there, Hyun. Please.”

Joohyun just gives her the tightest hug she ever gave to someone. Afraid if she makes promises, it will become a sweet lie. I’ll try, Seungwan. I’ll try.

---

“And we’re back at the Sports Corner for tonight! As you all know, the Women’s World Cup will be held for at least two weeks from now. With me, Johnny, will be the commentator for every game that was being broadcasted on this channel alongside my long-time partner, Mark. Anyway, Mark, what are we doing for tonight?”

“Yes, Johnny. We will have a special corner to talk about the potential team that could win the Women’s World Cup. For helping us to decide, we already invited one of the most famous football pundits out there. Good evening, Yuta. How are you?”

“I’m good Mark, Johnny. Thank you for asking. And thank you for inviting me to this show.”

“Pleasure is all on us. Anyway, Yuta, you have been in this football world for long. We can say that you already got a reputation by how many people really looked up to your predictions and stuff. So I assume you already got your potential team for this event, right?”

“Yes, Johnny, I have. I already got the list for who will be the top candidate, for me personally, to win the World Cup.”

“Please kindly share it with us, Yuta. I believe the audience is already giddy with your answer.”

“Yes. First of all, this tournament is full of great teams. All of the team just had their own power in this. But of course, if it comes to Women’s football team, USA still considered as one of the strongest and one of the top candidates to win this tournament.”

“So, can I say that, by your statement earlier, your top candidate to win this tournament is the USA team?”

“No, Mark. I’m just saying that they’re one of the strongest. And I do believe that they will be one of the teams who will proceed to the final. But, my potential team is not them. My answer probably can be counted as unique and kinda risky, but I put my bet for Korea here.”

“Korea? That is an interesting choice you just made, Yuta. Please share the thoughts behind all of this with us.”

“First of all, on every aspect, in every layer, they have at least one top player. First, the forward, Kang. She’s in a German club now, and last season, which is the one who just ended, she just becomes the top scorer there. With her abilities and the way she played, I do think she can be one of the candidates to snatch the Golden Boot at the end of the tournament. Second, the midfield, Park. Park is an all-round midfielder, just what Korea needs. She is that good, she even started to snatch interest by European clubs. Last time I hear, many European clubs want to contract her. Third, the goalie, Kim. She’s still a rookie, the youngest even. But her abilities are already so good for such a ripe age like that. Korea is lucky to have a talent like that. Last but not least, the defend, Son. The one who just got Golden Ball at European Championship. One of the best central defenders in the world. The pillar of the national team. The captain. She is the one that will bring Korea to victory. I guarantee you that.”

“Wow. From your explanation, we can safely say that Korea already covered all of its layers. It is interesting I think, to watch them play and nailed it at every game.”

“It is, Johnny. I didn’t expect much, actually. And they don’t even on my top candidate to reach the final. But, it will be interesting to watch them play. So that’s why I’m rooting for them.”

“Okay. Thanks for sharing the thoughts with us, Yuta. That is all for Sports Corner tonight. I’m Mark alongside my partner Johnny, thanks for watching. Goodnight.”

---

Korea easily topped the groups they’re in as they advanced to the knockout stage. Winning each of the games with three goals average, making them the most productive team in the competition.

Their winning streak continues, by easily going through until semi-finals, where they got a tough team to beat. Luckily, they managed to beat them with one margin of goal, a solo goal by Seulgi. Marking their spot on the final.

Joohyun already arrived in Paris the moment their semi-final match is finished. Granted to have a two days holiday by their Coach, Seungwan cherishes the chance by staying the night at her girlfriend’s hotel.

Seungwan looked at the goddess in front of her, who still peacefully sleeping. The arms around her waist secure her tight, making her can’t go anywhere. She the raven’s hair softly, afraid to wake her up. But her wish didn’t even come true.

“Good morning, beautiful,” greeted Seungwan as she looked at her fluttering eyelids, trying to adjust the morning sunlight.

Joohyun tightens her hold around her waist, pulling her close while nestled her head on the crook of her neck. “It’s still early, Seungwan. Go sleep more.”

Seungwan chuckled. “I’m sorry. I usually wake up at this hour. You know, training and such.”

Joohyun opened up one of her eyes. “Stop working yourself so hard, Wan. Now, go rest.”

Seungwan sighed, softly her girlfriend’s hair. “I can’t help it, you know. To not training early.”

She decided to open her eyes for real, looking her straight in the eyes while pulling her close for a kiss. The soft and lovely kiss quickly turned into hot and passionate ones. Joohyun already positioned herself on top of Seungwan, entangled her hands on her neck while Seungwan tightens her hold on her waist.

Their kiss ended when the need for air to fill their lungs suddenly resurfaced. They both look at each other with flushed cheeks, yet dark gaze holding each other, not wanting to broke. Joohyun her face softly, leaned in again and whispered.

“Loose yourself today, Seungwan. Forget about the training. Because the only training you will do today has something to do with me and my body.”

Seungwan nodded her head like an obedient child, granting what just the Goddess who sits on top of her said.

---

The conference room is filled with press and loud clicks of the camera. Readying themselves for the article that worth to be put on the headlines.

Seungwan, alongside her Coach, sit on the front. Getting ready to be questioned by the press.

“Firstly, I want to say congratulation first for you to advanced through the finals,” said one of the press, opening it.

Loud applause can be heard, all people congratulating them. “Thank you. We sincerely thank you,” said the Coach, a grateful voice that can be heard.

“Son, how’s your feeling for having a spot in the final?”

“Amazing. That’s it. It’s unbelievable. All this time I just said to the girls to do their best at each game, do not really think about the stage or whatsoever because it will burden you. And now, we’re in the final,” answered Seungwan easily, already doing this often.

“You will be up against the USA team, the team who considered to be the favorite in this tournament. What are your thoughts?”

“Every game, every team, it’s hard. There is no easy match. All you can do is just put your best strategies out there and going your best. We going to do the same against the USA team,” answered the Coach.

“Do you have any special strategies you will use against them?”

“Yes. But I won’t spill it out. You can see it later in the game,” answered Coach easily.

“Son, you’re considered to be the one who will win the Golden Ball. This will just add up your own personal achievements in this sport. Many pundits believe you will win the Best Woman Player of The Year at the end of this year later.”

Seungwan sighed before answering. “I don’t really think much about them. I only thought about giving my best to the team.”

“Son, people will expect you to give something to your country. The Korean people already dubbed you as their heroes. What are your thoughts about that?”

“Please change the question. We’re not doing personal questions here,” interrupted Coach, frustrated by the press.

“Son, all people expecting you to not become a failure later in the final.”

“…many people put their hopes to you—”

“They say you’re the only one who can—“

“—what are your thoughts about—”

Seungwan barely heard the questions as her anxiety suddenly suffocating her, strangled her.

“This press conference is finished,” ended Coach, as she helped Seungwan going out from the press conference room, knowing that she needs some help.

“Don’t think much about it, Son. It’s just nonsense—”

“Can I see my girlfriend tonight, Coach? Please?” cut Seungwan with breathless voice,

Coach sighed. “Please be careful. There is still paparazzi out there.”

Seungwan stiffly nods, quickly shoving her hands to her pocket, reaching her phone.

---

Meet me at the Eiffel Tower in 30 minutes. -Seungwan.

Joohyun frowned. Tomorrow is final, right? Usually, Coach didn’t let one of the members wandering out in the night one night before the game. Then why Seungwan asked to meet her in the Eiffel Tower?

She arrived at the Eiffel Tower exactly 30 minutes later. She looked around, trying to find some familiar small figure until she spotted some short-haired girl who only wear a one-piece black hoodie and some black training pants.

She smiled and jogged softly to the said person, before giving her the warmest back hug. “Guess who?” whispered Joohyun.

Seungwan smiled at her girlfriend’s own antique. “Hello to you too, Joohyun.”

She felt Joohyun unwrapped her arms and took a seat beside her. They look at the Eiffel Tower in silence. It looked majestic as ever, along with the lights and such. But Joohyun realized that something is troubling Seungwan.

“So, tomorrow is the final,” said Joohyun, trying to start some chats, while being answered by a deep and long sigh.

She looked at Seungwan with concern. “Did something happened?” asked Joohyun while holding her hand, it softly.

“It’s suffocating me, Hyun.”

“What suffocating you?”

“This. All of this,” exclaimed Seungwan while moving her hands, trying to emphasize what she meant. “I don’t think I can do it.”

“You can do it, baby. Believe me,” said Joohyun.

Seungwan looked at Joohyun with her broken gaze, making some parts inside Joohyun’s broken, too. “Do you really can’t come to the final?”

Joohyun sighed. “I don’t know, Seungwan. I really wanted to come to the match, you know that, right?”

“Then why you can’t come?”

“It’s not that easy, Seungwa—”

“I just asking you this one time, Hyun. This one time. Please,” Seungwan broke into sobs as she pulled her to a hug. “I don’t think I can do this without you.”

It really hurts Joohyun to see her at this kind of state. A part of her broken so bad looking at Seungwan in this state. “I will try, okay? In the meantime, the tattoo will be your companion.”

“It’s getting harder for me at every match I didn’t spot you. The tats even barely help at this point,” said Seungwan between sobs.

“I know it’s hard, but I believe you can do it. I trusted you, Seungwan. Now it’s the time for you to trust yourself. And me.”

---

“Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. I’m Johnny.”

“And I’m Mark. We will be the commentator for tonight’s finals of the Women’s World Cup! So, South Korea versus the USA. What a match could that be?”

“It is interesting though, Mark. Do you remember what Yuta told us before the beginning of the tournament? Turns out, he was right. Korea really becoming the dark horse and real competitor in this tournament. And now, they’re on their way to shove away the throne that was being in USA positions for too long.”

“Yes, Johnny and I believe that today’s match will be very interesting.”

“Anyways, the girls already filled the field as they started to stretch themselves, preparing for the game. You can see by the way they make their line-up, Mark, that they really bring out their best for today’s game.”

“It is the final after all. The moment where it all decided. We will be right back after the break.”

---

Seungwan keeps looking towards the Korean supporter section, trying to find someone that she knew best by her heart. And she kept getting disappointed as she can’t find the person.

“Is something wrong, unnie? You seem troubled,” asked Sooyoung with concern laced in her tone.

“I’m okay, Sooyoung. Thanks for worrying,” reassured Seungwan with a smile.

Sooyoung also looked towards the supporter sections and sighed. “She’s not here again, isn’t she?”

Seungwan forced a smile at Sooyoung’s words. “It’s okay. She’s a busy woman after all.”

Sooyoung frowned. “Stop saying you’re okay when you’re not, unnie.”

It got Seungwan a little bit taken aback, didn’t expect an outburst like that from Sooyoung at all. Memories from 6 months ago suddenly flooding her mind, when Joohyun exactly telling her things like this, too.

She smiled. “Thanks for the words, Sooyoung. Let’s continue to training. We got finals to do.”

They finally stepped inside the field. The captain armband neatly placed at Seungwan’s right arm, somehow making her arm heavier than usual. She took a deep breath. You can do this, Seungwan. I know you can.

“Okay, girls. We finally reached the finals. The stage that we never thought we will get. Tonight, I want you to give your all. To give your best. Yes, there will be this wanting to bring the trophy back home with us. But, I want you to not think of that. I don’t want that to become a burden for you. Just trying to give your best and we will get the best results. Alright?”

Seungwan’s encouragement speech was being accepted by a loud howl from the girls. They started scattered to their respective position. Ready for the battle.

Seungwan unconsciously averted her gaze to the supporter section again, still trying to find the same person. Yet the result still the same.

She never knew disappointment could be this bitter.

---

“The whole match is so interesting. Both sides are attacking, no one is backing down here. The cup is on its stake. Maybe that’s why they go all out in the beginning. Don’t want to lose. What’s your thought, Mark?”

“Well, yes, both sides are going berserk, attacking each other like that. But I can’t not notice at how bad Son’s way of playing, currently. This is, personally for me, clearly is not her best state. And it just needs to happen when they already reached the final stage.”

“Now you point that out, Mark. Yes, she looks like some lost people in the middle of the field. It looks like she doesn’t know what to do. This is clearly her worst performance for me.”

“Yes, Johnny. Thank God, Korea’s other players are playing in a very good way, covering up Son’s worst game. “

“Kang looking like some angry tiger trying to wreck the goalie that guarded by the US team. Like damn, she just wants to put the ball inside the net!”

“Yes, and they really need to be careful over the US’s counter-attack. Sadly, Son really needs to be at her worst performance. Thank God Yerim guarded her goalie perfectly. If not, I don’t know what will happen to the Korea team.”

“If Son continues to be like this, I suggest the Coach change her in the second half if they really want to bring the trophy back to Seoul. This kind of performance is not allowed in the final.”

“The time when they need the leader, she just needs to be like that. Anyway, the first half just ended. We will go back when the second half started.”

---

Coach barged in like some mad women, strides towards one person only. And the whole time knew who is it.

“Get yourself together, Son! We’re in a ing final!” yelled the Coach.

Seungwan chose to look at the ground, not wanting to lift her head. Not that she was scared by the Coach. She can’t look at the disappointment glances that were thrown to her by her own teammates, making her feel shameful.

“If you continue to be like this Son, I’m sorry but I need to change you with someone. I give you second chance here. Don’t let them go into waste,” said the Coach, giving her ultimatum, immediately left the changing room. 

The surrounding air inside the changing room thickens. Seungwan still looked down, don’t want to raise her head up. Yerim, concerned about her, approached Sooyoung.

“Did something happen to Seungwan-unnie? I know you were talking to her earlier,” asked Yerim with a slight push.

Sooyoung sighed. “I believe it’s because Joohyun-unnie didn’t come to watch today.”

“Oh no,” gasped Yerim. “Let’s contact her to come!”

“She’s busy, Yerim. She can’t just cancel her schedule and watch a match like that.”

Yerim pouted, feeling bad for Seungwan. “Hope Seungwan-unnie can go through the next half.”

“Let’s hope so,” sighed Sooyoung.

Little did they know that Seulgi already contacted the said person, asking her to come immediately.

---

“Please cancel all of my schedules today.”

“You know we can’t do it, Joohyun. It will be too difficult to—”

“I don’t care! I need to go to the match now!”

“She will be fine.”

“She is not fine. Seulgi just texted me, demanding me to come. Please, cancel all of my schedules just for today.”

“Do you know that your actions to meet her at the Eiffel Tower last night just making paparazzi releasing some rumors about you?”

“I don’t even care about those rumors.”

“What about her? She will get attacked, too.”

“Then I will protect her. Like I used to do.”

“What about your career? What about your—”

“I don’t care about all of those things. All I really care about is her. And I will give my all to her. No matter how the world trying to take us down.”

“Finally, you gave me the right answer. Here, the ticket to watch the game. I already bought them long ago. And yeah, I already canceled all of your schedules today. Go to her. She needs you. Good luck.”

---

Seungwan keeps making mistakes.

She took a glance towards the bench, looking at the Coach who shook her head disappointingly while preparing one of her teammates to come to the field. Probably changing her.

Out of all day, it needs to be today. Her worst performance ever. When her anxiety won against her own.

She sighed as she walked towards the side-line, trying to take the ball and threw it inside. She closed her eyes before throwing. I’m sorry, guys. I’m so sorry.

“SEUNGWAN-AH!”

Seungwan stopped her movement. She knew who owned that high-pitched voice. She spends lots of nights accompanied by that voice.

“COME ON! YOU CAN DO IT!”

She turned around, spotting the person who just yelled at her. She wore a black hat, letting her raven hair fall off gorgeously just like that. Her big doe eyes sparkle, looking at her with so much adoration. She watched as it did some movement.

I’m here, Seungwan.

“Took you a long time,” muttered Seungwan lowly, throwing the ball to the field.

For the first time that day, Seungwan smiled brightly and determined to redeem all of her mistakes.

---

“Oh? Son coming back to the field with a big smile. I wonder what happens.”

“I think I just know the answer, Mark. Someone just came to the game, and it’s the Korean Supermodel Bae Joohyun.”

“Oh. Interesting.”

“Yeah, it is. There is a rumor going around that she is Son’s girlfriend. Photos of them spending night together in Eiffel Tower last night has spread throughout the internet. Looking at how she attended the game, I think the rumor is true.”

“Well, I don’t care about the rumor at all, Johnny. But I think, the arrival of the supermodel took a good impact on our superstar who got lost somewhere earlier in the first half. This is just a beginning.”

“Oh! Son really improved her performance here! She just made an important clearance for Korea here!”

 “The lion finally woke up, Johnny. The real game just started.”

---

The score still 0-0, there’s just 5 minutes additional time on the clock.

All players currently crowding the Korean side, as the USA team was going to take a corner kick.

Seungwan scanned the surroundings around her while walking slowly towards Seulgi.

“Don’t look back. Go to the front unnoticedly. I have a plan. Wait for the ball later in the upfront.”

Seungwan catches Seulgi nods, which was done quickly before stealthily walked to the front unnoticed by the USA team.

Seungwan walked to Sooyoung. “Go between number 8 and 7. They will pass the ball between those two persons. Interrupt the movement of the ball and give it to me.”

“How do you know about that?” asked Sooyoung, didn’t turn around her head.

“They keep sending signals. And I catch one of them saying something about giving it to the two I just told you. That’s why.”

Sooyoung chuckled. “Thank God you understand English, unnie.”

“I’ll be waiting here, Sooyoung. This will be a perfect chance for us to win if this success.”

---

“Okay, the USA team is getting ready for the corner kick. We can see how guarded Korea is trying not to let the ball went inside their net.”

“Yes, Johnny. It’s the last minute after all. One goal, and it’s all done.”

“If Korea failed to guarded their net, then they can say goodbye to the trophy, and they don’t want to do that.”

“Okay, they already kicked the ball away.”

“Park interrupted the ball and now it’s in Son’s feet. She kicked the ball away to the front AND THERE IS KANG SEULGI IN THE FRONT!”

“There are no people at all on the USA side. They go went to the Korea side, desperate trying to put the ball at their net! This is a perfect opportunity for Korea to win! There is only one person left and that is the goalkeeper.”

“Kang running freely towards the goal. The goalkeeper decided to guard the net in the front. Oh! Kang successfully dribbled the ball away from the goalkeeper!”

“GOAAAALLLL!!!! IT’S A WIN FOR KOREA TEAM!!!!!”

---

A sound of a long whistle can be heard. Loud cheers suddenly filled the stadium. People, especially their teammates and coaching staff, running to the field, celebrating.

Seungwan felt something wet on her cheek. She decided to wipes it but didn’t manage to since droplets of tears just keep falling from her eyes.

Someone back hugged her from behind, almost tackling her. “We won, unnie, we won!” screamed Yerim right on her ears, before breaking with loud sobs.

Seungwan just breaks to another loud sob as people keep surrounding her and Yerim. Seulgi suddenly hugged her with a bone crush hug, sobbing like a kid who just lost her toys. Sooyoung brought the three of them to a big hug, and the people just keep adding up at their little circle.

When they broke away, Coach suddenly hugged her. “Good job, Son. Thanks for your hard work. We succeed.”

“We made it, Coach! We made it!” said Seungwan with happiness on her tone, still between sobs.

“Our hard work is worth it. This is the result! Thanks for everything, Son.”

Seungwan nodded at the Coach’s last line, before going towards Korea’s supporter tribune, spotting the one person she really wants to celebrate this with.

The crowds cheered up, looking at the captain who casually walking towards them. The woman with a cap walking down towards the fence, waiting for her to come.

Seungwan looked at her who already waited for her there. She ran, climbed up so she can easily reach her. She chuckled as the person who already in front of her now removed her black cap and throw it away.

“Why did you throw away your cap?” amused Seungwan.

Joohyun just rolled her eyes, although she sported the biggest grin ever in her life. “To kiss you better, silly.”

Joohyun pulled her in as they clashed their lips together. The crowd cheers grew louder. Yerim whistling at the sight, Seulgi trying to cover her innocent eyes, while Sooyoung screamed ‘Get a room, you two!’

But Seungwan can’t even hear all of them. Her ears muted. Her senses only filled with the person who currently giving her the sweetest kiss.

“Congratulations,” Joohyun said after pulling back from the kiss. She gave Seungwan’s cheek a peck and pulled her into a hug.

“Thanks for coming,” sobs Seungwan as they hugged.

Joohyun just chuckled. “I already said it before to you, right? 

I will always be here.”

---

my football geek self just jumped out so hard here.