A Darker Past

The Grocery Store
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chaeyeon made Sakura lay flat on her stomach and applied some medicated oil on her lower back. She straddles over Sakura's back thigh and slowly rolled her palms and forearms over Sakura's core muscles from shoulder to Sciatica with a gentle force. Like her dancing, Chaeyeon is using many of her body parts from finger and palm or fist to arm and elbow, and even with knee and tibia or heel. Her pressure points were very accurate, so they are painful yet soothing. Sakura muffled groans from the pleasure-pain and feels addictive. Even her feet are not that much in pain after touched by Chaeyeon's magic hands.

"Chaeyeon, which part of your body is pressing on my hip now?" Sakura detected a new sensation which feels so different from what she usually has during body massage.

"Knee."

"Oh, that's new. Where did you learn these skills?"

"Well..." Chaeyeon seems to hesitate.

Sakura chuckles, "did you learn it from some secret master that you are not supposed to tell others?"

"No. I self-learned it."

"No way! How did you self-learn it? Can you teach me?"

"Okay, you remember the dance teacher I told you?" Chaeyeon finally gives in to Sakura's pestering. "She hurt her spine, so she was always in pain after our lessons, and she instructed me to massage her as some kind of gratitude. I just turned 16 when I started, I grew tall but my muscles were not that well developed yet, so I tried using different body parts as well as my body weight as tools."

"That's sweet."

"There is nothing sweet," Chaeyeon says impassively.

"How long did you do that?"

"As long as I took lessons with her."

"4 years?  5 years?"

"4."

"So she recovered?"

Chaeyeon didn't answer.

Sakura feels like she has just kicked onto a wall. Chaeyeon's voice is cold. Does Chaeyeon has a "wheelchair issue" too? That just makes Sakura more curious.

"It sounds like you are not having good relations with your teacher now?"

Chaeyeon inhales deeply, "we have no relation now. Please, Saku-chan, that was a long time ago."

It sounds strange, just yesterday she said they became friends and tonight they are enemies already. But it is not unusual for teachers and students to turn against each other. Sakura has witnessed a few cases herself so she thinks she can understand. But she is not giving up to know more about Chaeyeon.

"Chaeyeon? I have another question."

"Yes?"

"If I want to call you in a more intimate way in Korean, what should it be? Is there an equivalent to Japanese 'chan'?"

"Why haven't you fall asleep?"

"You are making me very painful, how can I sleep?"

Chaeyeon chuckles and starts to massage Sakura's back thighs with her fists. "okay. Um...basically there is nothing like 'chan' in Korean. But sometimes, we will add an 'n' sound at the end of the name."

"Like...Chaen?"

Chaeyeon suddenly freezes upon hearing the name, a flash of anger shoots up her head, and unconsciously, she put all her force onto her fists.

Sakura yelps for the sudden pain and struggles to pull away.

Chaeyeon instantly gains back her sanity and jumps off the bed.

"I...I'm...so...Sa..Saku-chan...are you okay? I'm..I'm so sorry...really sorry!" Chaeyeon covers with one hand and waves another hand vigorously panicking.

"What happened?" Sakura stares at Chaeyeon with eyes full of fears.

Oh, ! What am I doing? Chaeyeon moves a step backwards and squats down with both hands covering her face.

"I'm sorry, Saku-chan. I'm really sorry..." Chaeyeon repeats, with voice cracking.

Sakura freezes. Her heart sinks to the bottom. She suddenly realizes that she actually knows nothing about the person in front of her, yet she has trusted her. What made her so naive?

And Chaeyeon starts to sob under her palms and apologizes non-stop.

Sakura opens but cannot utter one single word. She then just sits up and looks at Chaeyeon.

What did I do wrong? She asks herself. The discrepancy is too big for her to handle. This Korean woman has been so cheerful, charming, caring and kind in the past two days, what made her so angry suddenly? She told her she was a juvenile delinquent but she didn't really explain it. Did she have a violent tendency? Why did she behave so cold when she talked about her precious teacher? She seems to have been triggered by the name, but why?

Slowly, Sakura moves inch by inch towards Chaeyeon like a cat. She feels very cautious but at the same time, there is a pain in her chest to see Chaeyeon sobbing like this. She carefully gets on her feet and amazed they aren't painful anymore. She kneels down and gently put her arms around Chaeyeon's neck.

"I didn't mean to..." Chaeyeon mumbles through her tears.

"It's fine," Sakura rubs Chaeyeon's back and her hair softly, like what she did to her earlier. With Chaeyeon in her arms, Sakura suddenly feels safe. That is a feeling she cannot comprehend. If it was Chaeyeon's action that has frightened her, then why is she not afraid now?

"I am sorry." Chaeyeon mutters again.

Sakura squeezes a smile, "Chaeyeon are you going to break my record now?"

"Eh?" Chaeyeon looks up from her palm in a puzzle.

Sakura pulls away a bit and looks at Chaeyeon's eyes. She uses her sleeping tee to wipe off Chaeyeon's tear and says, "you are down to 28 sorries already." She makes up the number.

Chaeyeon cannot help but cracks up a little. "Saku-chan...thank you."

"Thank you for what?"

"Sorry for hurting you."

"No. It doesn't hurt. Even my feet don't hurt now."

"Thank you for not being hurt..." Chaeyeon bites her lips and lowers her head again.

"Is there anything wrong? Please tell me." Sakura says, then she changed her mind. "You don't have to tell me if you are not ready. Just take your time."

Tears well up Chaeyeon's eyes again, "Saku-chan, how can you be so nice?"

Sakura changes to a sitting position so she can match with Chaeyeon's eye level, and she turns to grab the tissues box from the bed and give it to Chaeyeon.

"Did I say anything that has hurt you?" Sakura asks softly.<

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter