The Sweet Tie

The Grocery Store
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Eunbi slept and slept until past dinner time when she decided she could not sleep anymore. She pushed the call bell for water and insisted on getting off the bed and walk to the toilet by herself, helped by the nurse. The thermos jar was gone and the nurse replaced it with a meal prescribed by the dietician. The nurse fed Eunbi a few mouthfuls while the phone was and loaded, and Eunbi soon claimed that she was full.

"I will keep it for a while and see if you will be hungry later." The nurse said and left.

Eunbi then called her mother-in-law to update her status and comforted the old woman before she talked to Jaemin. She gets emotional upon hearing the boy's voice and told him a little story before hanging up reluctantly.

She then started to update all the news and found that Yujin has sent her many links. One hashtag repeatedly flashes across her eyes.

#KSRmetoo.

What the hell is that?

As she clicked into the stories under the hashtag, she felt like she was reading the most horrible stories in her life. She could not imagine this man in all those stories was in the same bed for the last 10 years. If just 10% of these stories are true, this man should be locked up for the rest of his life.

Instantly, she felt so shameful to have been his accomplice by making him look good in public and helping him get into power. There are rumors that he may have a chance to run in the next Mayor election...

She regretted to have protected him, but netizens are not stupid. Within 48 hours, they have crowdsourced pieces of evidence that show the police and even Mrs. Kim were lying. Kim Seungri's ual offenses might be much more scandalous than citizens could have imagined. Eunbi is stunned by the accuracy of the reconstruction on what had really happened, even on the assumption that he has pushed his wife off the stairs before he went to assault a teenager. Furthermore, with Jang Wonyoung being Mrs. Kim's student, the whole case has now become more sensational. It seems that she will be an idiot to further cover him up.

More to her annoyance, someone has started a poll on whether Mrs. Kim should divorce her husband. 91% for vs 7% against, while 2% cannot decide. Why don't these people just mind their own business? Is Kim Seungri really that famous in the Republic of Korea? Isn't there no other news in the whole country? Why should his scandal get viral like crazy? It must be political...

Her headache is the first to kick in, then the stomach, and the left shoulder from using the phone. The only injury which is not acting up is her right hand. She only notices by now that her right hand is holding a candy.

She suddenly feels nauseous and has to press the call bell again.

The nurse brings in a kidney pan but Eunbi manages to hold back her vomit and asked for a pain killer instead. The nurse decided to page the doctor. 

The doctor exchanges a few words with the nurse at the door and the nurse left.

"How are you feeling, Eunbi-ssi?" Hyewon says as she walks in.

Eunbi turns her eyes to the door and feels warm energy forming in her chest. 

Since when the doctor's emotionless voice has become a tranquilizing deja vu?

Hyewon examines Eunbi with her stethoscope and briefly checks her wounds. "You read bad news again?"

Eunbi casts her eyes on the phone and Hyewon picked it up and browses on it until the nurse comes back with an injection needle.

Hyewon did the injection and dismissed the nurse.

"How are you feeling? Is there anything I can do for you? "

Eunbi shakes her head, "my head feels like it is about to blow up and all other pains are coming back."

"I've just injected the analgesic," Hyewon says while putting on her gloves. "You will feel better very soon."

To Eunbi's surprise, the doctor starts to examine her head with her fingers.

"Doctor..." Eunbi mumbles, "my hair is dirty..."

"Gwaenchana – I can feel the throbbing and swelling..." Hyewon says as she starts to massage the pain points from her skull to the neck.  She feels a small scar on the back and rubs it with her palm. She even takes out a small piece of stone and scrubs the painful parts gently.

Eunbi is startled. This is not the usual practice of western medicine. But she decides to stay silent as tension on her head is loosening up.

"Did you do this with your mother?" Eunbi asks casually.

"Yes. How did you know?" Hyewon looks a bit surprised.

Eunbi blinks, "well, I just guess – thank you, doc..."

"Kang."

"Kang?"

"Kang. Just call me Kang." 

"Oh, I forgot, sorry." Eunbi chuckles. "...I've jumped many steps. You've told me about how you eased your mother's pain, so I think you should have known many methods on pain relief, but your profession usually does not agree on using those methods, so you should have used those methods mainly on your mother."

"Correct." Hyewon lowers her voice, "but I could never ease her real pain...real pain is not in the body."

Eunbi lowers her eyes, "you are right."

Hyewon continues, "my father used to beat her all the time when he came home drunk. He could always find something she did wrong, and even accused her of having a lover outside. He regretted and quit drinking after she died and found his peace of mind in the Church. So now he will go to heaven after making her living a life in hell and died painfully."

The doctor's voice was still impassive when she talks about her heartbreaking family history. 

"I don't know why she or we had to endure it. Or maybe the four of us should have kidnapped him and dumped him into the Han river – just joking. But why? Why should we let the villains prevail and good people die?"

Eunbi becomes silent.

A long time passed before she speaks again. "You know I did not fall from the stairs accidentally, right?"

"I respect your privacy." The doctor doesn't respond directly.

"He was driving me out of the house. I refused, of course. Then he pulled me until he broke my wrist and then just let me fall

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter