Viva Sakura

The Grocery Store
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sakura didn't sleep well last night. She still feels upset from the unhappy video chat with Chaeyeon. On the one hand, she is scared by a triggered Chaeyeon; on the other hand, she feels troubled by her own stubbornness. She hates herself to have spoiled the happiness of meeting Chaeyeon in January. She is supposed to be very happy today...

However, today is Saturday and Sakura is expecting many people this weekend. One of the most influential ballet critics from Tokyo has messaged her on Facebook that he would visit the Machiya today. Her Tokyo ex-colleagues' "marathon visits" are still going on, and she will be meeting the General Manager this evening. She has even scheduled an interview by the local newspaper.

Thinking of these, Sakura has no choice but to leave her personal laments behind. She dressed decently and carefully knitted her hair into a french braid and put on some makeup before she opens the shop. She must leave a good impression on her guests today even though she is not expecting anything.

She checked her phone before opening the gate. Seems Chaeyeon was still sleeping.

A few tourists are already hanging outside the grocery store. They look so happy to see the legendary store manager and start taking pictures when she opens the gate and brings out the banners. This "opening" of the store becomes a recommended scene for salon photo-taking fans. Anyway, Sakura smiles and greets them in return. She tries her best to remind herself she is indeed a professional performing artist. 

The store now has fewer items for sale, as Sakura and Rino decided they should cut the less popular items and leave more space for the display of community's artifacts. This only makes the store more popular as it is now being seen as a livelihood museum of the community. People will ask questions about Taniyama, its history, and points of attraction. Not only does Sakura need to answer these questions if there is no other neighbor around, but she will also be requested to take selfies with the tourists.

This is really unexpected and could not be imagined half a year ago. Everything started with the first Airbnb guest. If it was not that TMI control freak with crazy ideas, namely Lee Chaeyeon, she may still be immersed in her hopeless and pathetic situation. Well, yes, Miyawaki Sakura will never give up, but how can a bird fly with only one wing? A warm feeling gushes up Sakura's chest suddenly and she instantly forgives Chaeyeon for anything. 

Around noontime, a taxi stops in front of the grocery store and a man with fluffy grey hair gets off. He is tall and looks extremely cool in a double-ed trench coat.

Sakura notices the man at once and moves quickly out of the shop to greet him.

"Kumakawa Sensei?" Sakura bows politely. She is not sure if she has met Kumakawa and she secretly hopes that he has never met her.

The man sees Sakura and quickly returns the bow and stretches out his hand, "Miyawaki-san, Kumakawa. Nice to meet you."

The two shake hands and Sakura suddenly feels shy.

"Welcome to Kagoshima," she says in a very soft voice and then doesn't know what to say next.

Kumakawa looks around the Machiya and exclaims, "Cool!" Then he turns to Sakura and chuckles, "so you are the most beautiful store manager on earth!"

Sakura feels her cheeks heating up and smile in embarrassment.

Kumakawa laughs a bit, "Sorry to be impolite. I read your stories on Facebook and I really admire your courage and creativity – especially that abacus."

Sakura grins shyly and says, "Sensei, do you want me to show you around?"

"It's okay, I am just coming to see you."

Sakura blinks. "You want to talk inside?" 

Kumakawa shakes his head, "the taxi is waiting, I have another appointment. Let's chat briefly."

Sakura feels a bit nervous, she is not sure what this Tokyo man wants.

"Miyawaki-san, I was actually one of the judges of the last All-Japan Rising Stars Ballet Competition."

Sakura's heart pounds hard. Why is he bringing up her most humiliating past?

"Yes." She lowers her head.

Kumakawa continues, "I've been thinking about this for a long time, and I think I should tell you in person when I'm visiting Kagoshima. If not for the fall, you should have won the grand prize in the competition."

Sakura looks up in shock.

"I know your company did not renew your contract, and I think it's a shame. You should be promoted and not sacked. But you know they are very conservative. They cannot accept anything that is not the same as in the last 100 years. But you are creative. Creative people don't suit classical ballet."

Sakura is confused. She cannot comprehend Kumakawa's message.

"But...but I think I made a mistake..."

Kumakawa shakes his head. "You were taking a risk, quite a big risk. But you were too nervous or you were not in your best condition and that's why you fell. If you could carry it through without the fall, you would have created a new refreshing style for classical ballet."

Sakura's jaw falls and she cannot respond to Kumakawa's comment at all.

"Trust me!" Kumakawa smiles confidently and hands out a name card, "let's keep contact on Facebook, and please also take my name card. A few companies have shown interest to invite you to be their guest soloist for some specific performances. If you don't mind, I will ask them to contact you directly."

Sakura bows and receives the card. She feels like she wants to cry but tries her best to hold it back before the guest leaves. Kumakawa takes a few selfies with Sakura while Sakura also took a selfie with him.

Rino was staying inside the shop and witnessed the whole meeting. She gives a big hug to Sakura after Kumakawa left.

"Saa-chan I am so proud of you!" Rino says.

Sakura cannot hold back her tears anymore. They were tears of happiness. She is not sure if she wants to be a freelance dancer, but it is still a big honor to be recognized by one of the important figures in the industry.

 

 

Sakura tries not to think about Chaeyeon's feelings when she posts her selfie with Kumakawa on the grocery store Facebook Page and her own Instagram. She types "Mr. Kumakawa, one of the most influential ballet critics in Japan, visited the Machiya today. #TheGroceryStore, #MiyawakiSakura, #tmbsmoe, #kumakawa, #ballet"

She knows Chaeyeon hates the #tmbsmoe hashtag, but she somehow wants to agitate her without knowing why.

Right after Lee Chaeyeon turns on her phone in the "morning", she found that Sakura is taking selca with a "dirty old man" again, and she has even put the #tmbsmoe hashtag on by herself!

"! What are you doing?" Chaeyeon exclaims and she thinks it hurts more because Sakura is really pretty today!

Several thoughts gush up Chaeyeon's head and she suddenly cannot understand her emotions. She only knows she needs to get out and escape.

When she boarded the subway, she found herself on the way to her university.

"Hey, bud, why are you coming back on Saturday?" Choi Yena, Chaeyeon's roommate, is surprised by the sudden reappearance of her sulky roommate after disappearing for two days. Chaeyeon eyes are puffy and she looks tired.

"Why haven't you gone home?" Chaeyeon responds impassively.

"Exams are coming."

"Oh, I never knew you are serious about exams!" Chaeyeon scoffs.

Yena grins, "fought with your girl?"

Chaeyeon looks at Yena, "girl-s."

Yena pretends to be surprised, "I never knew you had more than one girlfriend."

"The ex and the current!" Chaeyeon says with her chin tilting slightly upward. 

Yena rolls her eyes. "You never told me you have an on-going ex!"

The two have become roommates since Chaeyeon transferred to the university. Yena is a psychology major and that became the reason Chaeyeon refrains from telling her too much about her love life especially Eunbi, despite they're close. 

"So you mean you have fights with your ex and your current at the same time? What a drama!"

"No. Ex in the morning and current in the evening, but the reason is the same."

"Like?"

"Both rejected my good intentions."

"Wait," Yena snaps her fingers. "Why do you still have good intentions to your ex? You have a current to take care of already. Also, are you and your ex on good terms? No issue between you and her? It's a 'her', right?"

Chaeyeon blinks her eyes, nods and then shakes her head. "We didn't part well, tons of unresolved issues – I only realized that yesterday."

"How come?"

"I thought we reconciled. But I was just told that we were not."

"So that's the content of your fight?"

"Kinda."

"Then why are you still seeing her? Do you st

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter