Domestic Violence

The Grocery Store
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Eunbi called Kim Seungri and found that he is at home. She told him she has something important to talk to him and rushed home. She kicked off her shoes and went straight up to his study without even putting her backpack down.

She knocks.

However, she feels like flinching when she sees his huge back working on the computer. This back has once given her the feeling of warmth and security, but this feeling has changed.

"What is it?" He asks without turning to her.

"I need to talk to you."

"Speak."

She inhales deeply, "you know Jang Wonyoung?"

"Yes. She is a part-time staff of the Association."

"She is my student."

"Hah!" He turns to look at her and scoffs. "So?"

"Please leave her alone." She says softly, not daring to meet his gaze. "She is just 18."

"What are you talking about?"

"She..."

"What did she tell you?" His gaze turns intimidating.

"You..." Eunbi swallows and tells herself to stay composed. "You ually harassed her."

Kim Seungri laughs, "Dr. Kwon, do you really believe that?"

She furrows her eyebrows. He is humiliating her.

"Yes. I do. Wonyoung is a good kid."

He suddenly stands up.

"You really like good kids don't you?" He moves one step forward and she backs down.

"What do you mean?"

"Okay, yes, I like Jang Wonyoung. And she likes me too. So what's the problem?"

She is shocked at his straightforwardness.

"But you are married! And she is just 18..."

He smiles and moves another step forward and corners Eunbi to the bookshelf. She was 19 and he was married, he can still remember that.

"At least she is 18," he says with a sly smirk. "But you? How about you?"

Eunbi widens her eyes and gasps, she feels her heart is caught on and she cannot breathe.

"W...what...what do you mean?" Her mind becomes blank and her voice turns hoarse.

"I actually don't know her name, the good kid I mean, how old was she then? 15? 16? She was definitely a minor when you slept with her! I never knew you are a e – and a gay one!"

Her legs feel wobbly and she starts to tremble.

"It...it...it wasn't like that!"

"You want to see proofs?"

"NO!" Eunbi yells. Anguished tears roll in her eyes, "you spied on me?"

"Well, you are my wife, and you cheated on me. But I tell you, I stayed silent just because I need an art historian. Originally a dancer is good enough, but you hurt your spine. That was not my fault, right? So I let you do whatever you want and I only need you to get the degree I want."

Eunbi opens and breathes heavily.

"But after your final submission, of course, I need to claim back my territory."

Eunbi's eyes widen. "You mean you made me pregnant deliberately?"

"You know why men women in the genocide wars?

Eunbi cannot believe her ears.

She slaps him on the face.

"How dare you!" He grabs her wrist and roars.

"How can you treat me like this?" She screams. "You treated me coldly after I got injured. You only act nicely when there is an audience. Did you ever visit me in the hospital? Did you ever help me during my wheelchair-bound days? Where were you when I was in the delivery room? Do you know I almost died there?"

"I paid for all your medical bills. I helped you with your dissertation. I support the family." He says impassively.

"But I made you look good in public." She suddenly feels like laughing. "I helped you to accumulate your social capital and emotional capital. I endure all the pain being your wife just because I still respect you and I don't want to hurt your career. But I don't think I should do that anymore."

He tightens his grip on her wrist with eyes fueled with hatred, "if you dare to utter one word to the public, I will divorce you and make sure you will never get a job in academia, not even as a janitor. I will not give you one cent of alimony, and you will never see Jaemin again!"

"You cannot treat me like this!" She struggles to withdraw her right hand, but it looks like he is determined to break it. "It hurts!"

"I can!" He stares at her with his widened eyes like he wants to eat her up. "All because you broke the bottom line. We were fine because we never discussed these issues. You don't interfere with my life and I don't interfere with yours."

"I just begged you not to mess up a girl's life...like what you did to me..."

"Yah!" He twists her arm and pulls her outside the study, "I house you dress you feed you educate you and you think I have messed you up? What an ungrateful ! Get out of MY house!"

"But I am your wife!" She screams.

"This is MY house. I paid for everything in this house, you didn't pay a cent on it!"

"But I have contributed a lot too! This is our home!"

"This is not your home!" He pulls her down the stairs.

Old Mrs. Kim is feeding Jaemin and they are shocked by the fight. And Jaemin starts to cry.

"No!" Eunbi grabs the ornament of the handrail and refuses to leave. The crying of Jaemin echoes in her head and she suddenly became the little girl whose father drove her mother out during a snowstorm. It was a very very scary experience. She and her brother had to kneel and begged their father to let her mother back in. The incident destroyed all the respect she had for her parents.

She has never imagined that history will repeat as such. She doesn't want to be a mother that Jaemin won't respect. 

"No, please!" She begs. "At least you let me walk on my own?"

Kim Seungri is furious and he used more force on his hand that caused a huge sharp pain. Eunbi screams with the sudden pain and lets loose of her grip on the handrail.

She instantly lost balance and was thrown off the stairs like a canon. The pulling force reveres and he loosens his grip on her hand just in time to save himself being pulled onto the floor.

Without any impediment, her body tosses and tumbles directly onto the marble floor.

The world stops.

The crying of Jaemin is fading out, the last thing she saw was he straddled over her and then comes the sound of the closing door.

That's the end of it.

She closed her eyes. She doesn't feel any pain, probably she has broken her neck and she will end up in a wheelchair for the rest of her life.

She prays to God to let her die now.

Poor Jaemin. What is he going to do without his mom?

Then she saw the face of Jaemin on top of her with his little arms hugging her face crying "eomma".

He then fumbles his tiny palms on her chest.

She can feel his hands though she cannot move even one finger.

Slowly, the pain kicks in, severe pain comes from her shoulders and arms, and a serious cramp starts to develop around the hip and lower abdomen. Her head is throbbing like it is going to explode.

The pain was so unbearable that she starts to moan in tears. But on another side of her mind, she is glad she can still feel pain.

Then she sees the face of her mother-in-law.

"I have called the ambulance." The old woman left and came back with a small blanket of Jaemin and put it on her. Eunbi is thankful for she is now shivering.

"Jaemin, you talk to eomma and don't let her sleep, okay?" The grandma encourages Jaemin to "disturb" his mom by singing to her and telling her stories until the ambulance comes.

How come she can perform all these in such a calm and skillful manner? Eunbi thinks.

 

 

The duty doctor paged Dr. Kang Hyewon when they discovered abnormal l bleeding from the patient who just got admitted into the emergency room. 

Hyewon got the notice and nearly choked on her soup when Yuri texts her "the diplomat is here". It's probably the first time she gives up a meal without a further bite and rushes to see her patient. She has never imagined meeting Eunbi again under this situation.

The woman is lying in bed with a colorless face, and she looks irritated. Hyewon put on her surgical mask and approaches her bed in quick steps.

She nods to Dr. Kim Minju, the orthopedist who happens to be the duty doctor, and turns to Eunbi.

"Eunbi-ssi? How are you doing?" She speaks in her daily monotone but in a very gentle manner.

Eunbi's face lights up when she sees Hyewon. She moves her lips but her voice is hardly audible.

"What happened to your voice?" Without hesitation, Hyewon bends down and put her ear near to Eunbi's mouth.

"Handphone" is all that she says.

"Is it in your bag?" Hyewon says and the ER nurse quickly grabs Eunbi's bag and hands it to Hyewon.

Hyewon takes out the phone and found that the smartphone glass cover has cracked, even though it was enveloped in a leather case. "You want to call someone?"

Eunbi nods.

Hyewon turns on the phone. It is still working. She carefully taps the phone app and holds it in front of Eunbi.

"Six." Eunbi moves .

Hyewon then presses #6 on the keypad and the number of "Yujin-TA" appears. Eunbi looks at the doctor.

"You want me to talk to your teaching assistant?" Hyewon asks.

Eunbi nods.

It's surprising to Hyewon who was thinking Eunbi wanted to call her husband. 

"Seonsaengnim? What's up?" A woman's voice answers.

"Eh...I am Dr. Kang. I am Dr. Kwon's doctor."

"Yes? Anything happened to Dr. Kwon?"

"Wait a minute..." Hyewon looks at Minju. Minju takes the phone and turns on the speaker.

"Hello, this is Dr. Kim. Dr. Kwon has an accident at home and she is now in the hospital."

"Oh dear, is it serious? How can I help?" Yujin sounds panic.

Both doctors turn to Eunbi and Eunbi speaks to Hyewon's ear again, "class cancelled tomorrow."

"Tomorrow's class will be cancelled," Hyewon speaks to the phone while looking at Eunbi, "I think you have to announce it to the students."

Eunbi nods in gratitude.

"Sure, I will send everyone an email now. Is Dr. Kwon's situation serious? Should I tell the students of the other courses too?"

"Yes, please do." Minju answers, "I'm afraid she needs to spend some time in the hospital.

After the phone call, Minju starts to explain to Hyewon on Eunbi's situation. She tugs in the x-ray film just taken and turns on the light

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter