Net of Fate

The Grocery Store
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Eunbi has not expected to meet so many people on Saturday.

Dr. Kim Minju brings along lawyer Kim Chaewon to her ward early in the morning. The lawyer greets Eunbi briefly and leaves the room when the doctor checks and cleans the wounds.

"Dr. Kang texted us last night. So we decided to come early before Chaewon goes to the law firm." Minju says.

"We"? Eunbi is intrigued. Both have the surname Kim, but they don't look alike. Still, she decided not to ask anything.

Lawyer Kim comes back when the treatment is done. Dr. Kim is very satisfied with the healing process of the wounds. She throws the lawyer a warm smile before she leaves the room.

Under the surgical mask, Kim Chaewon has a pair of flirtatious eyes that can kill any man, but her gaze, as well as her voice, are very soft when she talks to Eunbi. She gives Eunbi useful and practical advices, including tips of life after the divorce. 

"I will go back to the office and make all the arrangements and we will keep in touch through email?" After 30 minutes talk, a plan was draft and the process will be started.

"Thank you, lawyer Kim, I can feel that you really care for your client," Eunbi says sincerely.

Chaewon smiles, "you are the friend of Dr. Kang, right? We are good friends. You can put your trust on us."

"Us" again!

Eunbi thinks she must be very boring, so she will notice all these details. 

She checked her email and SNS and there is still no reply from the department on the Wednesday gender class. She then decided to leave a voice message to Yujin that she needs her laptop and a few books she is reading to prepare for the next gender class just in case.

- Is it the pile that has been left on your office desk?

Yujin texts back immediately.

"Just the 3 books on top are okay. They are heavy. And don't forget the plugs. Laptop and phone."

- Sure, no prob.

Before she can call her mother-in-law to check with Jaemin, somebody knocks on the door. 

A man and a woman came in.

"Good morning Mrs. Kim, we are detectives from the criminal police department." The police officers in plain clothes show their passes.

Eunbi's heart sink. But there is nothing she can do except facing the truth bravely.

The detectives were polite but the questioning was stressful. She was repeatedly asked what happened on Wednesday afternoon and evening and about her accident. Eunbi starts to get confused – in what capacity is she now being questioned? As a witness or related person, an accomplice, or a crime victim?

Eunbi has used all her strength to keep calm, but she soon feels her body giving in. The more she answers, the more complicated the questions have become, and the pressure mounts to a point where she cannot bear with it anymore.

The pains are kicking in and she feels nauseous. She starts to stay mum.

This only raises more suspicious from the detectives.

When they attempt to continue the questioning, Eunbi presses the call bell.

"Dr. Kwon, are you okay?" The nurse knocks and comes in.

Eunbi shakes her head.

The detectives stood up from their seats immediately.

"We're sorry. Should we come back later when you get better?" The female officer asks.

Eunbi nods while the nurse escorts them out.

"You don't look okay. Shall I call the doctor?" The nurse asks when she comes back.

"Is Dr. Kang on duty today?"

"She is in her office now, there are many patients today. But I can page her for you." The nurse talks to the telecom and immediate got the reply.

"She will come after the recent consultation. Let me take your temperature and blood pressure first?"

Eunbi closes her eyes, "I am feeling very uncomfortable."

It took Hyewon quite sometime before she could leave her office and dashes to Eunbi's ward. She got the readings from the nurse and is surprised by Eunbi's spiked blood pressure.

"Kang!" Eunbi heard the sound of the opening door and murmurs. She feels like seeing a piece of lifesaving wood when she sees the doctor coming in.

A warm feeling disseminates in Hyewon's guts when she sees the woman lying weakly in bed.

"Eunbi-ssi, what happened?" Hyewon's brows knit together involuntarily.

"The police just came and questioned me." Eunbi's voice sounds so weak that Hyewon feels a small ache in her heart.

Hyewon turns to the nurse, "there should be no police or press visit without my permission from now on. All other visitors must be approved by Dr. Kwon."

"Yes." The nurse nods her head hard. 

Hyewon examines Eunbi carefully before she instructs the nurse for the injection.

After the nurse left, Eunbi tries to smile at the doctor, "I feel much better after seeing you."

"I won't let them torture you again, at least not until you get strong enough," Hyewon says, briefly touching Eunbi's left hand.

Eunbi uses all her strength to hold the doctor's fingers until the nurse comes back in.

"So I will give you the tranquilizing injection and you try your best to sleep awhile, okay?" Hyewon pulls away her fingers and pats on the back of Eunbi's hand.

Eunbi nods.

"I will have a very busy schedule today, I will come back and see you in the evening, is it okay?"

Eunbi nods with a child-like smile.

Hyewon eye smiles, "ask the nurse to page me in case you are still not feeling well, okay?"

Eunbi nods again before the doctor left.

 

Eunbi fell back to sleep with the medications and she was woken up by the nurse after she doesn't know how long.

"What time is it now?" Eunbi slurs a bit.

"It's 3:30. Your students are waiting outside. Are you hungry?"

"I'm not hungry. Please let them in?"

Yujin is really a good T.A., Eunbi thinks when Yujin is entering the room with a big bag – and a tall girl is following her...

Eunbi opens in shock when the girl rushes to give her a hug.

"No!" Eunbi's warning is too late and the girl touches her shoulder and puts a small impact on her wound.

“I've broken my collar bone, Wonyoung.” Eunbi groans in pain.

"I'm sorry, seonsaengnim!" Wonyoung covers .

"She begged me to bring her to see you," Yujin explains, "I'm sorry."

"Gwaenchana," Eunbi says and holds Wonyoung's hand tight while looking at Yujin, "thank you." And she turns to Wonyoung, "Wonyoung, are you okay?"

The girl nods vigorously when tears roll down her face.

Seeing Wonyoung cries, Eunbi can't hold back her tears too.

"I'm sorry for what had happened..." Eunbi sobs.

Wonyoung shakes her head, "no, seonsaengnim you have saved me. You have really saved my life."

I can't even save myself...Eunbi thinks.

"I have taken your advice not to stay alone in the Association office." Wongyong explains, "the colleague who stayed behind with me took a short video when she saw...h-him attacking me."

"Did he...s..."

"Not, actually...but I believe he will, as a...punishment. He has mentioned that quite a few times."

Eunbi signs.

"But...seonsaengnim, did he really hurt you? Is it because of me? I read that on the internet."

Eunbi hesitates, "it's not because of you...it...it was an...acc...accident."

The girls didn't dare to challenge their teacher, but it's too obvious she is lying.

Wonyoung bites her lips. "Then that means it's true."

"No, dearie," Eunbi blinks her eyes to forbid more tears gushing out, "adult's world is much more complicated than you thought. But I'm so happy that you're not hurt."

"But I've hurt you." Wonyoung rubs her eyes, "I shouldn't have fallen for him. Now I have hurt you twice."

Eunbi bursts into a small laugh through her tears, "but at least you woke up at the eleventh hour and not stupid enough to marry him."

The girls look at their teacher in surprised. 

Yujin says, "I thought you were the model couple. I cannot  believe he would hurt you."

Eunbi shakes her head and chuckles, "Yujin, I am now facing a bigger crisis than this. The department still cannot find a substitute instructor for the gender class. I need to hear your advice."

The girls look at each other and don't know what to say. 

"There are still 2 lectures left to go. Should we turn them to a whole class tutorial with Yujin leading the discussions?"

"No!” Yujin's face drops, “it will be too much to have 3 hours of discussions altogether. I think all of them will skip class."

"Except me,” Wonyoung says. “I will support you."

"Maybe a Skype lecture?" Yujin counter proposes. 

"It sounds exciting." Wonyoung nods.

"But

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter