Bonded Family

The Grocery Store
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sakura stops her newly bought tiny van which resembles a loaf of bread at the Oroshihomachi Center car park and gets off with Chaeyeon to wait for the bus. The weather is getting warm and it is nice to walk around before they meet up with their special guests.

It has been quite some time when the second floor stopped being rented out as Airbnb. The young couple has moved up to the bigger room as they both agreed they need a bit more personal space. Sakura's father's money has somehow eased their financial burden, and rental income now becomes optional. They even have money to install a small toilet up there.

It's worth to mention that the money for renovation and the new van both came from Chaeyeon's "investment". Chaeyeon's proposal on the revitalization of the Miyawaki Grocery Store and its neighborhood has won the Golden Prize of the Tokyo Planner's Award Junior Section with a considerable amount of monetary reward. She decided to "invest" all the money into the Machiya grocery store so it can move ahead with new initiatives. Surprisingly, Sakura didn't make a fuss about the "investment". She went to Tokyo and did the presentation together with Chaeyeon and gained lots of new knowledge from the event, and she substantially felt that she and Chaeyeon are now "partners". This confidence impressed the judges when they saw, in person, how local residents and professionals could successfully collaborate and co-create in the process with a positive impact.

After they went back to Kagoshima, Sakura discussed with Rino on granting Chaeyeon a legal status with the new investment. Chaeyeon declined it. Nevertheless, this inspired Rino to make Sakura the immediate successor of the Machiya legally so that she can make independent decisions in any case when Rino cannot efficiently run the grocery store.

The Tokyo trip was multi-purposed. Sakura went to her doctor and did a small operation to take out her nails inside the left foot, and she visited her best friends to show gratitude. Chaeyeon enjoyed meeting Shige and Nako who took them to the most interesting places in Tokyo. And it was a delight for her to learn more about Sakura's otaku past and how to handle her with care in the future.

"Chaeyeon, are you nervous?" Sakura teases when seeing Chaeyeon pacing impatiently at the bus station.

"Why should I?" Chaeyeon laughs awkwardly, "you are the one who is going to meet your idols, Saku-chan!"

Sakura just smiles, "and you will be jealous."

"I will not!" Chaeyeon makes a face.

"Here they come!" Sakura grins brightly as she walks to the bus.

The Korean couple is the last to get off the bus. It is not easy to deal with a sleeping toddler who refuses to wake up after a long bus ride.

Chaeyeon jumps onto the bus to Eunbi first. Eunbi still has a supporting cast with a sling on her right hand. Hyewon follows with the half awakes Jaemin in a well-protected hip seat carrier. Chaeyeon extends her arm to guide Hyewon the way down. After that, she automatically picks up all the luggage and pulls them towards the van.

"Hey, Yeonnie, we have plenty of time, we don't need to rush. What are you doing?" Sakura startles at Chaeyeon's strange behaviors.

She then turns back to the couple and laughs in embarrassment. Her whole face is now blushed up.

"Konnichiwa, Sakura-san. Watashi wa Eunbi desu. Yoroshiku onegaishimasu (Good afternoon, I am Eunbi. Please treat me kindly)." Eunbi tries her best to speak in Japanese which sounds very cute in Sakura's ears.

"Eunbi seonsaengnim, annyeonghaseyo? Jal butagdeulibnida (please take care of me)!" Sakura bows lightly to Eunbi and then to Hyewon, "Kang seonsaengnim, annyeonghaseyo? Jal butagdeulibnida!"

The Koreans are amazed while Sakura also feels satisfied with her Korean pronunciation. When they are walking to the van, Hyewon points to herself and says, "Kang-chan."

Eunbi sniggers and pats her arms lightly, "oh, come on, you are the oldest one here!"

And Jaemin suddenly turns his head to Sakura and makes a protesting sound. Hyewon laughs and pats his back and speaks cutely, "hi, I'm Jaemin."

Sakura steps to his side and waves her hand, "annyeong!"

To everyone's surprise, Jaemin is trying to twist and turn around on his hip seat carrier and touches Sakura's face.

"Yepo!" He exclaims.

"Baby, what are you trying to say?" Hyewon asks.

Eunbi smirks, "eomma translation: he was trying to say 'yeppeoyo' – pretty." And she smiles at Sakura, "you are really pretty."

Sakura laughs shyly and stretches out her index finger. Jaemin grabs it with his tiny hand instantly.

"Hi Jaemin, I am Kkura nuna. Jaemin is yeppeoyo! I am not." Sakura also speaks with a cute tone.

When they get to the van, Jaemin sees Chaeyeon and instantly recognizes her, and he starts to cry excitedly, "Chaeon eomma! Dada! Dada!"

Chaeyeon startles and Eunbi quickly covers his mouth in great embarrassment.

Without knowing the prior story, Hyewon laughs, "that's not too bad. He used to call me appa."

Everyone laughs except Eunbi. And Chaeyeon asks, "Who is Dada?"

"That fluffy thing you gave him. He named it Dada." Eunbi grins uneasily.

"Let's get into the car?" Sakura tries to save the situation.

 

The Machiya grocery store is truly heaven to the toddler. When Sakura drops everyone and the luggage outside the shop, Jaemin immediately notices there are a few more "Dada" hanging from the ceiling, he points to the fluffy toy and gets very excited. Only by now, Eunbi knows where did Chaeyeon gets the "Dada" from. When Rino comes out and greets them, he laughs and cries "halmeoni" and waves his little arm. Chaeyeon translates that for Rino and Rino laughs sweetly. "What a beautiful baby!" She pats Jaemin's head when Hyewon puts him on the ground.

"He is the real diplomat," Eubi chuckles. "Natural born."

And Jamin suddenly discovers the abacus conveyor. He is curious about the little beads on rows and approaches the conveyor cautiously. Eunbi tries to stop him but Hyewon lets him go. Jaemin feels amazed and starts to brush the beads with his hands. He turns around giggling and drops his onto the rolling beads and slides down.

"Baby, are you okay?" Hyewon leaps to Jaemin anxiously but the boy just laughs and screams excitedly. This time even Hyewon cannot pull him away from the conveyor.

Until Sakura comes up from the basement.

"Hi, Jaemin!" Sakura squats down beside Jaemin when he suddenly gets quiet and waves his arms to her.

"Do you know how to play with the abacus?" Sakura says in Korean and guides Jaemin's fingers to count the beads, "Hana, dul, set..."

Amazingly, Jaemin can follow Sakura until 10.

His parents just stand there, dumbfounded.

"I am wrong. He is Don Juan." Eunbi murmurs with a dropped jaw.

Rino looks at the young parents and asks Chaeyeon at her ear, "who is the mother?"

Chaeyeon grins, "your guess?"

Rino smirks, "the long-haired one."

Chaeyeon nods.

"She is very nervous," Rino comments when her eyes are looking far away.

Finally, Jaemin is pushed up as a piece of luggage along with the other bags and Chaeyeon quickly hides the conveyor after that.

 

After pampering Jaemin to his afternoon nap, the adults decided to have tea and catch up in the living room while Rino stays in the store.

"You are like a married couple now," Eunbi smirks as Sakura and Chaeyeon serve them with hojicha and homemade salted butter cookies. Chaeyeon translates briefly and Sakura lowers her head shyly.

And Eunbi turns to Chaeyeon. "So Chaen, how is your writing going? When do you need to submit it?"

"By June. It's almost finished but I'm still carrying on the action research plan from my proposal – I am turning the grocery store into a community center." Chaeyeon smiles cockily, "I won the Golden Prize of the Tokyo Planner's Award for it."

"Oh, congratulations!" Eunbi exclaims, she moves her body forward a bit but then leans back on the sofa.

"And how is your health, eonnie?" Chaeyeon asks carefully.

"I am fine. I am receiving multiple treatments and physiotherapy for everything." Eunbi glimpses briefly at Hyewon before she turns back to Chaeyeon. "I even learn mindfulness yoga with Kang – " She pinches lightly on Hyewon's cheek, "Kang-chan."

Hyewon rubs Eunbi's shoulder tenderly with her signature smile.

"I have quit my job. I'm busy enough to take care of Jaemin and my own well-being. I will rest for one semester and take up some part-time teaching in Fall. I am negotiating with the Seoul New School of Design."

It sounds unreal to Chaeyeon that Eunbi started to take care of herself finally. She has obviously gained some weight and looks more like when they first met.

"And I am now involving in activism too," Eunbi continues, "Kim Chaewon, the lawyer who helped me during the divorce, is an activist who helps a handful of NGOs which concern gender-based violence, she has invited me to be the chairperson of one of those groups – as the former Mrs. Kim, you know."

Chaeyeon nods. And Sakura was right. She suddenly feels jealous. No. It's not about Dr. Kang. She has a strong feeling that Eunbi doesn't need her anymore. But isn't that a good development?

Chaeyeon translates what Eunbi said to Sakura, and decides to change the topic. "Eonnie, did I tell you Saku-chan is a ballerina?"

"No, but it sounds wonderful!" Eunbi is a bit surprised, and she turns to Sakura, "my basic training was ballet too, I was a modern dance choreographer as well as a dancer. Moder

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter