Until We Say Goodbye

The Grocery Store
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Saa-chan, what is that smell?" As usual, Rino's voice breaks the morning silence. Rino sniffs and stands next to Sakura's bed.

Sakura is barely awake. So she just raises her left leg to mid-air.

“Medication oil!” Sakura mutters.

“This one?” Rino picks up the small glass bottle on the bedside table. She read the Kanji, “Riku masutā oiru (Master Luk Oil) – who will use their own name as a brand? So egoistic!”

“You can too…” Sakura mutters.

Rino laughs lightly, “crazy kitty.”

“Eh!” Sakura suddenly opens her eyes wide, “you should!”

She rolls to the side to look at Rino, “Rino granny umeboshi...no, Sasshi granny, best umeboshi!”

“What are you talking about?” Rino sits down on the bedside and pinches Sakura's cheek lightly, “wake up silly!”

“Ew…” Sakura struggles to escape the pinch and giggles, “you've got a brand! You've got a brand!”

Rino ignores Sakura and stands up. “Today is Sunday, do you want to go out with Chaeyeon? I can give you a drive if you are.”

“There is nowhere I can go. And I promised to cook for Chaeyeon today because she helped to massage me last night.”

Rino scoffs, “that's close! No wonder there is this stinky oil!”

“Is there anything wrong?”

Rino stares at Sakura for a while, and says nonchalantly, “nothing.”

“You are unhappy.”

“Why should I?”

“Because ... your hello kitty is growing up.”

Rino widens her eyes. She did not expect Sakura's words. She sits down again and put her hand on Sakura's thighs.

“No. My Saa-chan is a grown-up already. She is an adult who could earn a living and live in Tokyo all by herself. She has a strong sense of responsibility and now she is taking up all the hard work and creating new opportunities for her useless grandmother's business.”

“Oh, don't say that…”

“It's nothing but the truth. It's a matter of time you know - three months, maybe even tomorrow, the situation will change and you are going to shine again. And I want to tell you, I really owe you a big thanks.”

“But you are my grandma…”

“Grandma cannot take everything for granted. As I told you, I am so glad you came back to keep me company me, and that is more than enough. All you did for me is a bonus. Thank you, Sakura.”

Sakura looked at Rino and tears start to roll down her face. Yes, these are the words she has been longing to hear from her grandmother. She is an independent grown-up who works with her heart and it should not be taken for granted. On the other hand, however, it is also to repay grandma who has taken care of her when she was a helpless child, and now a wounded adult,  and this should not be taken for granted either.

Rino gently wipes away Sakura's tears. “All I want to say is, no matter what, I just want you to be happy. Chaeyeon is not simple, but her eyes are honest. Nobody knows about the future. I just hope that she is treating you well, and that's all." Rino pats Sakura and left for the bathroom.

For unknown reasons, Sakura cannot stop her tears until she heard footsteps approaching.

Chaeyeon peeps into Sakura's corner through the partition and was shocked.

"What happened Saku-chan? Did you wake up from a nightmare? Is your foot still in pain?"

Sakura shakes her head and wipes off her tears. "Good morning, Chaeyeon. So nice to see you again."

Chaeyeon chuckles, "well, we just saw each other a few hours ago."

"Did you sleep well last night? Have you the air-con? What is your schedule today? When are you leaving tomorrow? I need to plan."

"Oh wait a minute! First, you have to tell me why did you cry." Chaeyeon sits down on Sakura's bedside.

Sakura sits up and smiles, "it is between me and grandma. Your turn."

"Okay." Chaeyeon shrugs. "I need to do a bit more documentation especially on the second floor...ah, and I need to buy birthday gifts for the boy – best if I can get it here. I want to get something from the Miyawaki Grocery Store."

"Yes, let's see. The store is closed on Sunday and I have to do the monthly ledger, but you are my important guest, and I have also promised to cook for you today."

"Ah, you remember!"

"I don't forget my promises." Sakura smiles proudly.

"How about we work in the daytime and both of us cook dinner together for granny tonight?"

"Sounds great!" Sakura nods. "Today is your last day here. Whatever we do, we do it together, and it will be good.

Chaeyeon is a bit surprised by Sakura's frankness. "So, am I only your guest?"

Sakura grins and tries to lean towards Chaeyeon but quickly pulls back.

"Yes?" Chaeyeon is puzzled.

"Nothing." Sakura turns to get out of bed when Rino opens the bathroom door.

 

Sunday as a rest day seems to be a paradox when everyone is so busy.

Rino prepared a simple breakfast for the girls, while she ate hastily and started to do all the household chores and prepares for the weekly recycling collections. Sakura packed her little stuff into a small bag and started her journey to the shop floor for stock taking and accounting. Chaeyeon decided to use her camera to record the Miyawakis' life and help out.

Sakura seems quite relaxed today - her hair is in a ponytail, she wore no makeup, and she put on an oversized t-shirt with denim shorts. She walks Chaeyeon around the shop recommending products for a two-year-old while taking stock and fixing the product arrangements at the same time.

Chaeyeon is amazed at how professional Sakura is even though she has only been in charge at the grocery store for less than 3 months. It is the first time Chaeyeon notices that Sakura has arranged the shelves like an artwork -  the products stand so tidily on the shelves that they almost reveal the secret of an OCD owner.  Sakura can remember over a hundred products' characteristics and even the best before dates when it comes to food products. She suddenly takes a box of salted butter cookies and hands it to Chaeyeon, "these cookies taste excellent but they are expiring in 2 weeks. Do you have classmates or friends who like this? There is still half a dozen of it. Please just feel free to take them."

"OMG, it is my favorite cookies!" Chaeyeon exclaims, "can I take them all? I will pay."

"Come on! How can I charge you for that?"

"Give me a discount then."

What a deja vu! Sakura thinks, it seems that she is always struggling on the same issue. "No, no, I don't want to make it look like I trick you..."

"Saku-chan!" Chaeyeon voice raises a little, "touka koukan. You and I are the same. Okay?"

Sakura inhales deeply and squeezes her eyes shut. "Okay, half price."

Chaeyeon makes a V-sign with her long fingers.

Feeling defeated, Sakura goes back to the cashier counter and takes out the ledger.

Chaeyeon suddenly got an idea and she started to choreograph a dance sequence in an extremely constricted space between the shelves.

"Saku-chan, am I disturbing you?" 

"I won't be disturbed." Sakura answers without lifting her head.

But Chaeyeon soon discovers Sakura is lying when she hears the sound of the shutter. Sakura is sneaking a few photos behind her back!

"Saku-chan!" Chaeyeon suddenly turns back and catches Sakura off guard. 

And Sakura just giggles like a mischievous child.

"What have you taken?" Chaeyeon hops to grab Sakura's phone but Sakura holds it tightly on her chest, and Chaeyeon freezes when her fingers touched Sakura's hands and bumped onto her . 

Chaeyeon feels blushed up and quickly jumps away.

"Chaeyeon you are blushing!" Sakura laughs and waves her hand with a V-sign.

Chaeyeon raises her hands, "okay, tied!"

"We are not in a competition, Yeonnie." Sakura smiles sweetly.

"Then why don't you go back to work?" Chaeyeon sticks out her tongue and makes a face, but deep down she was bursting with joy by the way Sakura addresses her.

To Chaeyeon's surprise, Sakura's expression suddenly turns from loving to loathing, and she let out a big sigh, "You may not believe it, I always got A+ in math. But while I can do it well it doesn't mean I like it."

"Oh, I am sorry."

"No, please don't say that. It's nobody's fault."

"Do you want me to stay here to accompany you?"

Sakura nods, "thank you. You are so kind."

When Sakura starts to concentrate, Chaeyeon brought a folding chair and sat by the cashier, checking her mobile phone and getting up occasionally to pick the products for her family and friends in Korea. But most of the time, she just watches Sakura silently. Sakura looks extremely serious when she focuses on her work, and Chaeyeon can't help thinking that she looks very y in this manner.

Sakura finished the ledger and looked quite troubled.

"Is there anything bothering you?" Chaeyeon asks when Sakura puts the ledger back.

"No. Please don't bother. It is not even my problem. It is something dating back to grandpa's time." Sakura says impassively as she starts to check out for Chaeyeon. "Managing the grocery store is an extremely tedious job - to the extent that I would want to kill myself."

"Well...we don't always like our job," Chaeyeon says, recalling the abusive experiences during her part-time jobs.

Sakura exhales hard. "I feel I am trapped, and I don't know when I will be freed. I feel bad for grandma. I cannot imagine she has been doing this for the last 40 years, without personal income, recognition or vacation, and she never complained."

"It won't be long." Chaeyeon falls back to her memory. "But being aware that you are trapped is at least better than thinking you are free when you are indeed trapped."

 

After finishing the store work, Sakura and Chaeyeon helped with the recycled waste sorting. Chaeyeon took the waste to the recycling station. Rino was pleased and offered to make a nice meal for the girls. The young women insisted to cook a meal together for the granny. Rino then said she will buy nice ingredients from the coop and demanded the two to decide what ingredients they want. Chaeyeon now realized from whom did Sakura get her obsessions.  Chaeyeon and the Miyawakis enjoyed cup noodles from the coop for their lunch and went back to work. Chaeyeon helped Sakura to the second floor to assist with the documentation.

As Chaeyeon was trying to capture every detail in her room with the camera, she was not aware Sakura has disappeared, not until she asked questions and nobody answered. She looked out to the corridor and found the door to the other room opened. 

Chaeyeon peeked in and

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter